Your interest in the Texans this season

• I have an increased interest this season

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I have a decreased interest this season

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • about the same

Votes: 24 28.6%

• Total voters
Who is a non superstar that got a mega deal?

If true and I don't think it is, BOB will be fired for this decision and rightfully so. The question is will he last as long as DW4'S contract.

BTW, my interest has fallen off, but I will be watching Thursday night and I've got a friend coming in from Vegas to watch football that Sunday. I'm not really into NFL football right now, but getting to see my friend will be awesome. If that means having to watch the NFL so be it. We do this almost every yr.
OB goes as DW4 goes. OB is Teflon for anything non-offense related and/or offensive play calling (until his control freak gene kicks back in).

OB goes as DW4 goes. OB is Teflon for anything non-offense related and/or offensive play calling (until his control freak gene kicks back in).

Your acting as if this is any different with other HC/QB relationships.

McCarthy went as Rodgers went, Reid goes as Mahomes goes, Payton goes as Brees goes. On the other end of the spectrum Nagy goes as Trubisky goes. Rivera went as Kyle Allen goes, Vrabel went as Mariotta goes until he switched to Tannehill then he went as Tannehill went. Did Vrabel become a better HC when he switched to Tannehill? Nope.

61%...not as interested..And this a Texan message board. As a conservative I don't want politics mixed with sports. Even though I agree something should be addressed with the way policing should be done. NBA is down 45% in some markets so what they are doing is not working

61%...not as interested..And this a Texan message board. As a conservative I don't want politics mixed with sports. Even though I agree something should be addressed with the way policing should be done. NBA is down 45% in some markets so what they are doing is not working

Pandemic World is a singular crisis event that effects everything we do. We haven't been so consumed by any singular event screwing with both the economy AND our life styles, drastically altering both, since WWII. Add into that all the other stuff currently going on and it's frigging surprising anything's working.

Maybe the question should be:

Who is not watching the game Thursday night? Because I would bet 99.9% of those on the site are watching. More interest, less interest, what does it matter? You're watching the game and you know it.

I'm watching Thursday night with friends.

Cant say it will be this way throughout the season.

Last edited:

Who is not watching the game Thursday night? Because I would bet 99.9% of those on the site are watching. More interest, less interest, what does it matter? You're watching the game and you know it.

Well, there's a difference.

Before, I'd take off from work early (for a Thursday game, anyway) wear my jersey, get food in advance, and spend 3 hours screaming at my TV and 3 days either pissed or pleased at the result of the game. Buy a new hat or a shirt or whatever. I can recall certain sequences from games from years ago. I'd take time and make a call to DTV and negotiate for Sunday Ticket just so I can make sure I have Texans games on my TV no matter what.

There's a difference between that and having it on because hey whatever what else is there and who gives a damn about all these whiny annoying football players and meh I guess I'll just be on my phone and oh cool they scored a TD and not remembering a damn thing about any of these games, which has been the case for pretty much the entire Bill O'Brien regime. Now I won't sink a dollar into the team or league. I didn't have Ticket last year and only have it this year because DTV decided to give it free this year for our account. Didn't call for it and wouldn't spend a second to call in if I had to because, meh, streams are fine I guess. No desire to "get up" for the "event" that Sunday used to be. Can even see it in posting patterns here.

Big time difference. I don't think I'll ever get back to rooting the way I did. A lot of that is the O'Brien Texans, a lot of that is the league and sports itself, a lot of that is 'rona bullshit this year anyway, etc. But hey----that's what everyone wanted I guess.

As far as the team goes-----this franchise has given nobody any discernible reason reason for anyone to give a flying fiznuck about them until Vladimir is gone.

Last edited:

Yes, I will be watching the game Thursday. But not till after it starts. This will probably be the only game I watch this weekend.

My interest in football (and all professional sports) has dropped significantly in the past few years. I use to watch every game on TV , even had Sunday Ticket for a while. But since entertainment has gone political, I have no desire to watch much of any sports.

I use to check several web sites daily for football news. Now it is mostly this one and only a couple of days a week now. Losing to KC has done that.

I don't root for my team to lose, but not a fan of OB, and probably the only way he goes away is a bad losing season or two. We will never have a coach that everyone agrees with. But "we need to coach better" is getting very old. They should know by now how to coach or they should not be a coach in the NFL.

I never had season tickets as could not afford them. But I use to buy a lot of Texans gear. Not so much anymore. Just not as interested as I once was.

I won't be watching the game, but that will be mostly because I am still offshore at work and will be working during the game. I typically rarely ever watched other NFL games, but I would always stop what I was doing to tune into the Texans games. Not anymore......I'll catch up via recaps and news articles.

Will watch and be emotional as I love football, but I am in embargo mode on spending, so no tickets this year and no new gear. Told my kids don't get me any either as that was easy goto present. If they dishonor the military in a clear way then I am more done. One of my favorite part of the games was when they took a break to honor someone who served, and I thought I heard they may ban that which would piss me off.

Your acting as if this is any different with other HC/QB relationships.

McCarthy went as Rodgers went, Reid goes as Mahomes goes, Payton goes as Brees goes. On the other end of the spectrum Nagy goes as Trubisky goes. Rivera went as Kyle Allen goes, Vrabel went as Mariotta goes until he switched to Tannehill then he went as Tannehill went. Did Vrabel become a better HC when he switched to Tannehill? Nope.
I was responding to your post where you questioned whether OB would last as long as DW4s contract. Whether he does or not will depend greatly on how DW4 plays.

Wrong question. The right question is whether total viewership is down.

I'll not watch the game, however I'll tape it. I'll not be watching any other games. Yesterday mws reported that networks were spending $7B (2017) for broadcast rights. TV rights are up for renewal in 2022.

According to Nielsen, 180 million tuned into the 2019 season with an average of 16.5 million per game. These are the numbers to be watched and what will impact the upcoming TV negotiations, which will impact the future cap.

I'll not watch the game, however I'll tape it. I'll not be watching any other games. Yesterday mws reported that networks were spending $7B (2017) for broadcast rights. TV rights are up for renewal in 2022.

According to Nielsen, 180 million tuned into the 2019 season with an average of 16.5 million per game. These are the numbers to be watched and what will impact the upcoming TV negotiations, which will impact the future cap.
16.5 x 16 = 240:thinking:

I hate night games. HATE THEM. For me, the game starts at 2:20am.

For a normal game, I wait an hour before starting to watch games so I can skip the commercials and I watch it with my wife.

For night games, I usually wait to the next day so I can watch it with my wife.

Since this is a season opener, I'll be watching this game and hoping it doesn't run too late.

I was responding to your post where you questioned whether OB would last as long as DW4s contract. Whether he does or not will depend greatly on how DW4 plays.

Agreed, I was just pointing out HC's careers generally depend on the quality of their QB's play. Look at Favre as an example.

Even though the numbers of this post aren't correct the spirit of this post is.

I expect numbers to be down and the chickens will come home to roost during the 2022 TV negotiations.

It's the internet. Whine on. :glasshalffull:

If I was really that pissed about all this, I would just simply quit posting here. But I like posting here. I also like bitching about everything, including the internet, the Texans, the weather, and people who don't agree with me. LOL

First, I want to get this out of the way: I'm sorry for my overly snarky attitude in my reply. I can often overflow with sarcasm, and that's not always the best way to make friends.

It was certainly not personal. I have the utmost respect for the overwhelming majority of TT members, and I value the presence of all of you.

So for that, I'll definitely attempt to be more diplomatic in the future. :handshake:

Yes, I have seen a subject-dedicated forum devolve before, both as a mod and as a poster. I am not criticizing the intent or the motives, but the way in which it was done. I have seen this problem fixed before. You keep politics segregated (as was being done in NSZ). You warn the violators in a post or PM, after that you suspend their account for a period of time, and lastly when all else fails you delete their account. After deleting their account the very persistent ones will return with a new name and start their crap all over again, which means you (as the mod) start your stuff all over again. Been there, done that, and it (mostly) works. Those few persistent ones will eventually find somewhere else to go. You could even stop a few of the non-internet savvy folks by blocking IPs, which as you know, is ineffective on folks that have set up virtual IPs for their internet usage. Sometimes being a mod requires effort, effort that is usually not recognized and is free labor on your part and time out of your day. And, by the way, thanks for your effort. (Seriously, that was a real compliment.)

Okay, this is what I'm looking for.

Honestly, I do not see the benefit of individual moderators being identified to enforce very simple and straightforward rules.

If a member feels they are being targeted or moderated unfairly, please bring it to either Hookem's and/or my attention. We can see everything done by everyone (except PMs, of course). The Mod Squad is ultimately accountable to Hookem, myself included.

A lot of effort went into trying to police and tame the "No Spin Zone (Spin Zone)" over the years. We have a complete record of all of it.

There comes a point where the hostility and toxic atmosphere emanating from that sub-forum was beyond control.

It was destroying the forum. We lost good mods and even sadder, we lost a LOT of good members as a result.

And we were going to lose the entire Texans Talk forum if it continued like a cancerous virtual tumor.

Hookem wants this place to primarily be about the Houston Texans, with the addition of sports in general, entertainment, and general life stuff.

And that's our simple mission as the Mod Squad. Keep it family friendly, no personal attacks, and away from politics and religion.

So I don't want to be all preachy about it, and I certainly have no desire to come off as arrogant or in any way power hungry. I'm just a regular dude that's been here for 16 years and all of this should be for fun (for everyone).

Anyway, I've rambled on too long, but felt you (and all members) deserved a respectful reply. :cowboy1:

Just guessing, but maybe all the games weren't covered by Nielsen??? But who knows, without a deep dive into the numbers. Maybe my source was wrong??? But 16.5 x 16 = 264.
I'm assuming these are 2 different stats. 180 million unique viewers spread out over 256 regular season games plus playoffs plus the Superbowl. The total viewer ship for the season was probably in the billions (256 regular season games * 16.5 million = 4.2 billion) with most individual viewers watching multiple games.

I'm assuming these are 2 different stats. 180 million unique viewers spread out over 256 regular season games plus playoffs plus the Superbowl. The total viewer ship for the season was probably in the billions (256 regular season games * 16.5 million = 4.2 billion) with most individual viewers watching multiple games.
Good reasoning.

First, I want to get this out of the way: I'm sorry for my overly snarky attitude in my reply. I can often overflow with sarcasm, and that's not always the best way to make friends.

It was certainly not personal. I have the utmost respect for the overwhelming majority of TT members, and I value the presence of all of you.

So for that, I'll definitely attempt to be more diplomatic in the future. :handshake:

Okay, this is what I'm looking for.

Honestly, I do not see the benefit of individual moderators being identified to enforce very simple and straightforward rules.

If a member feels they are being targeted or moderated unfairly, please bring it to either Hookem's and/or my attention. We can see everything done by everyone (except PMs, of course). The Mod Squad is ultimately accountable to Hookem, myself included.

A lot of effort went into trying to police and tame the "No Spin Zone (Spin Zone)" over the years. We have a complete record of all of it.

There comes a point where the hostility and toxic atmosphere emanating from that sub-forum was beyond control.

It was destroying the forum. We lost good mods and even sadder, we lost a LOT of good members as a result.

And we were going to lose the entire Texans Talk forum if it continued like a cancerous virtual tumor.

Hookem wants this place to primarily be about the Houston Texans, with the addition of sports in general, entertainment, and general life stuff.

And that's our simple mission as the Mod Squad. Keep it family friendly, no personal attacks, and away from politics and religion.

So I don't want to be all preachy about it, and I certainly have no desire to come off as arrogant or in any way power hungry. I'm just a regular dude that's been here for 16 years and all of this should be for fun (for everyone).

Anyway, I've rambled on too long, but felt you (and all members) deserved a respectful reply. :cowboy1:

I appreciate all yall's efforts, but please forgive me if I don't buy all you're saying. The BBS I used to mod (way over a decade ago) is much larger with a daily post rate that would kill yall's server. I was just one of about 40 mods. And I can assure you, trekkies are a hell of a lot more difficult to deal with than folks here. If fact, devoted and passionate trekkies are numerous, completely f@cking insane, and live all over the world.

Do yall have a hidden forum just for mods where you guys can post and discuss things going on about the board? If not, you need one. LOL

In this hidden forum we would keep track of posters with warnings, and when someone hit their warning limit they got their account suspended by an administrator. (I was just simply a lowly mod!) Suspend their account a few times, then kick them off the board, and the rest eventually get the idea. You can have a NSZ and a regular place, but it might be difficult to manage at first until people get the idea they can't say certain things outside of the NSZ. I know this is a pain in the ass to do, and maybe yall don't feel it's worth the effort. So be it, not my decision. I'm just telling you I've see this stuff get worked out before.

Edit to add: Also, I understand that if the owner doesn't want it, it ain't gonna happen anyways.

I appreciate all yall's efforts, but please forgive me if I don't buy all you're saying. The BBS I used to mod (way over a decade ago) is much larger with a daily post rate that would kill yall's server. I was just one of about 40 mods. And I can assure you, trekkies are a hell of a lot more difficult to deal with than folks here. If fact, devoted and passionate trekkies are numerous, completely f@cking insane, and live all over the world.

Do yall have a hidden forum just for mods where you guys can post and discuss things going on about the board? If not, you need one. LOL

In this hidden forum we would keep track of posters with warnings, and when someone hit their warning limit they got their account suspended by an administrator. (I was just simply a lowly mod!) Suspend their account a few times, then kick them off the board, and the rest eventually get the idea. You can have a NSZ and a regular place, but it might be difficult to manage at first until people get the idea they can't say certain things outside of the NSZ. I know this is a pain in the ass to do, and maybe yall don't feel it's worth the effort. So be it, not my decision. I'm just telling you I've see this stuff get worked out before.

Edit to add: Also, I understand that if the owner doesn't want it, it ain't gonna happen anyways.

Fair enough. I appreciate your advice.

We tried all of the above, going back to when Vinny ran the board.

In the end, it was a failed experiment. And one that I would not return for. It's not worth my very finite free time.

But, much respect. Glad you're still here. Go Texans. :texflag:

I couldn't agree more. But you know what's even more depressing? The people that created this situation in the first place are the same people that have to fix it.

Problem?? Problem?? There is no problem. The TV check comes in and that takes care of everything. Let BOB run things into the ground. The TV check comes in.

Although I love Watson, Mike Devlin's consistently bad lines (regardless of personnel) actually make it hard to watch our wonderful QB. So my interest right now is founded on seeing how David Johnson, the new WRs, and Weaver's D fair. So about the same level of interest when Case Keenum started for us. In other words, expecting novelty more than a team of winners.

Most years, the Texans start slowly and creep up to win the division by playing mediocre teams. And Andy Reid has owned O'Brien. So they may very well do the same this year, but that's not much to look forward to other than catching highlights until the playoffs.

I understand all the logical reasons we lost players to other teams, but the question that has me down on the team is: why haven't we replaced them with...much of anything? And Cooks is not a replacement for Hopkins.* I've always liked Cooks a lot, but if anything, he's insurance in case Fuller gets hurt.

*Probably no one literally in NFL history replaces Hopkins's catch radius. And that's something that doesn't change with age, like speed does.

A simple poll for this 2020 season.
A really solid poll question for this year. I wonder what TexansTalk's activity numbers would show. Are posts up due to people being at home more and missing sports? Down due to the Texans' prospects or lack of Hopkins? Maybe up due to angry posts?

A really solid poll question for this year. I wonder what TexansTalk's activity numbers would show. Are posts up due to people being at home more and missing sports? Down due to the Texans' prospects or lack of Hopkins? Maybe up due to angry posts?

I believe they are down significantly compared to previous years.

I won't speculate on why ... but opening week would see this place flooded with activity in most years.

I believe they are down significantly compared to previous years.

I won't speculate on why ... but opening week would see this place flooded with activity in most years.

It's rather obvious why.

With more people at home the numbers should be up.

Because the team is still mediocre.

I'm sure current events play a part, but most Texans fans that I've talked to recently that are not watching games point to O'Brien and inept ownership.

We've got at least a dozen regular members of this board that swore off the franchise until O'Brien is gone. I went looking at profiles a month or so ago to check out activity of indivual members, and many of them openly stated that they're taking a break from the team because of O'Brien.

I'm sure current events play a part, but most Texans fans that I've talked to recently that are not watching games point to O'Brien and inept ownership.

We've got at least a dozen regular members of this board that swore off the franchise until O'Brien is gone. I went looking at profiles a month or so ago to check out activity of indivual members, and many of them openly stated that they're taking a break from the team because of O'Brien.
Yeah, I remember a few said they were not watching anymore because OB was still here, and that was way before Covid started.

I can just imagine more fans here in Houston having the same attitude.

Just to add, the best QB Kubiak had while here was Schaub. BOB's got Watson. Kubiak did more with less IMO.

Disagree, 2009 Schaub was better than anything we've seen from DW4.

Why because Schaub played a full season in 2009 and other than the 6 games DW4's rookie year. Schaub was much better. Until the Lisfranc injury that is. Kubiak was a great QB coach

Disagree, 2009 Schaub was better than anything we've seen from DW4.

Why because Schaub played a full season in 2009 and other than the 6 games DW4's rookie year. Schaub was much better. Until the Lisfranc injury that is. Kubiak was a great QB coach

You just proved my point. Kubiak got more out of Schaub than BOB has out of Watson. If I had my choice, I'd take Watson over Schaub every time.

You just proved my point. Kubiak got more out of Schaub than BOB has out of Watson. If I had my choice, I'd take Watson over Schaub every time.

I know I did.

I wouldn't if you would give me 2009 Schaub.

What's wrong with DW4 cant be fixed. It doesn't matter who the HC is. I'm ready for BOB to go because even with a better QB I dont think he will bring a championship to Kirby. But 3 1/2 yrs in DW4 is who he is and the excuses are tiresome. (Not directed at you)

I've participated in the NSZ since day one (2002?) .... I hated to see it go as much as anyone but it had just become too toxic. Without a doubt , it had to go.

There are plenty of other places to argue politics ... this place is better off without it.
I was just browsing one of the Baltimore Ravens message boards to see what their thoughts were on the upcoming game (their thoughts are pretty much the same as ours - most think the Texans will be crushed by the Ravens). Before checking out of that site I looked into a thread under the heading "Politics - moving forward". It was posted by the admins in July stating that they had decided to shut their own political forum down due to it getting too personal and out of hand.

I checked out on politics this past January. No room for it in my life.

Yep. Kubiak had a better scheme, better offensive talent evaluation overall, and better coaching for his o-line.

Watson in Kubiak's offense would be a much, much better fit for his skills.

Ahhh Kubiak or OB..... just like politics I dont really want either, but between the two.... OB has made me miss Kubiak..... which I never thought Id say.

Especially since I literally did a happy dance when I heard he was gone......oh... if only I had known the future.

I can only hope that the Texans and my country choose wisely the next time they select a leader. Sadly, they both have a long track record of poor choices.

I selected about the same, but these last two weeks of watching the games from home is almost unbearable. As a Cowboys fan, under normal circumstances I would be heading to Seattle as one of my two chosen road trips.

I know how most feel about the coaching situation, and question after all these years what is it going to take to get it right. Now that my team fans are back to the honeymoon stage, after so many years of missing the mark, I’m excited about the possibilities, but at the same time wonder if and when this shoe will drop. Does that fall in the category of head over heels ambivalent?

I have always wished to see the Texans become a dominant NFL team, and certainly identify with the frustration, since I get it from both teams. Everything is supposed to be big in Texas, so I wonder when will that expand to pro football.

Last edited:
Enough to watch but not enough to get mad about the stupid things they do.

The stupid stuff is done. We talked about them back when they happened. All this we're seeing now is exactly what many here said was going to happen.

Why be mad?

Texans are going 2-14, Miami will have the #1 overall & the 33rd overall pick, O'Brien will become part owner...

It's going to happen. We know it.

Back