Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Schedule

why so argumentative? I wasn't debating the number of games. I was just highlighting that those three games make a significant impact on the schedule. And, further suggesting possible reasons why fans may react to this year's schedule with concern.

On another note, I had been away from this board for years due to life stuff and the fact that I hated the Texan organization. Unfortunately, I am about done with this board again. Too much bitterness and hostility.
Posters get carried away sometimes.

I appreciate you being back on the board. It was especially good to have you around here at draft time. Your knowledge is a breath of fresh air around these parts.

I'm sorry, not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to point out that it's only 3 out of 17. Last year at this time anyone looking that had the Texans or Colts on their schedule instead of Titans or Jags thought they were getting an easier schedule. My point is that last years results really don't mean squat. Each team has to play 17 tough games. Winning is not easy
I called 10 winslast yr if the OL stayed healthy, it didn't but Stroud made up the difference. This yrs schedule is going to be much harder but I still expect 10 wins.

I called 10 winslast yr if the OL stayed healthy, it didn't but Stroud made up the difference. This yrs schedule is going to be much harder but I still expect 10 wins.
This is an extremely tough conference. But one of the reasons it has become so tough is that the Texans have flipped from doormat to door buster. I expect the Texans to battle the Chiefs for the AFC #1 seed. The reason I might give KC the edge is they play in a weaker division than the AFC South. Chargers, Raiders, and Broncos all finish below .500.

The Texans clinched a playoff spot with the win over the Colts in week 18. They won the division after the Jags choked in Nashville the next day. No backing in, the Texans earned their playoff spot.
My Texans memories, even short term, hasn't been good. I had become apathetic and even last season I only drifted in and out - going to the grocery store in the middle of games, cleaning up the house, working on the vehicles... I didn't watch all the games. It's unlikely I'll see all the games this year. I don't live and die Texans like I used to. Still like posting on this board on occasion and reading the comments.

I hope they have a good year, but I really don't know what to expect. Tough schedule, different team chemistry with all the players coming in and all the players that left. I think it's a good thing, or at least I don't expect there to be problems.

My Texans memories, even short term, hasn't been good. I had become apathetic and even last season I only drifted in and out - going to the grocery store in the middle of games, cleaning up the house, working on the vehicles... I didn't watch all the games. It's unlikely I'll see all the games this year. I don't live and die Texans like I used to. Still like posting on this board on occasion and reading the comments.

I hope they have a good year, but I really don't know what to expect. Tough schedule, different team chemistry with all the players coming in and all the players that left. I think it's a good thing, or at least I don't expect there to be problems.

It's time to come back, banned1976. I, like you, had gone through my own apathy, but I've returned after I became convinced we had a real team. ^If you compare our schedule to the rest of the division we only play 3 different games than they do. If you add in the fact that only half the teams make it back to the playoffs, then ~1.5 of those teams won't be as good as they were last year. Hopefully that rounds up to 2 in the Texans case.

If you add in the fact that only half the teams make it back to the playoffs, then ~1.5 of those teams won't be as good as they were last year.
There’s also the fact that teams who didn’t make the playoffs last year will this year, so that kinda evens out. On average there’s been about 5 teams make the playoffs who didn’t the year before. This is happening nearly every year.

There’s also the fact that teams who didn’t make the playoffs last year will this year, so that kinda evens out. On average there’s been about 5 teams make the playoffs who didn’t the year before. This is happening nearly every year.
Out - Dolphins, Browns, Steelers, Bucs, Rams
In - Jets, Bengals, Jags, Falcons, and...Cards

It's time to come back, banned1976. I, like you, had gone through my own apathy, but I've returned after I became convinced we had a real team. ^If you compare our schedule to the rest of the division we only play 3 different games than they do. If you add in the fact that only half the teams make it back to the playoffs, then ~1.5 of those teams won't be as good as they were last year. Hopefully that rounds up to 2 in the Texans case.
Maybe. I'm in a wait-and-see mode. 51-31 and 2012 keep me from getting too excited. Some people will say get over it and I pretty much have. But my disinterest in sports in general has been progressive. It's not just that one game and that 2-12 season. Sports to me has become boring. That might have been a result of the rule changes and the same teams making the playoffs year after year.

This is an extremely tough conference. But one of the reasons it has become so tough is that the Texans have flipped from doormat to door buster. I expect the Texans to battle the Chiefs for the AFC #1 seed. The reason I might give KC the edge is they play in a weaker division than the AFC South. Chargers, Raiders, and Broncos all finish below .500.
With Harbaugh leading the Chargers, I wouldn't count them out of anything. All he does is coach winning football teams. I expect them to challenge the Chiefs for the division crown.

With Harbaugh leading the Chargers, I wouldn't count them out of anything. All he does is coach winning football teams. I expect them to challenge the Chiefs for the division crown.
OK, I think you and Jim should get ready for a rude awakening. Harbaugh doesn't have the talent advantage he had at Michigan or the 49ers. Bringing his former run-centric OC Greg Roman with him won't help when the only real weapon on offense is Justin Herbert. The Charger defense finished 24th in the league in 2023, and the new GM brought in little to bolster the unit. I see the Chargers much closer to the bottom of the AFC West than challenging the Super Bowl champs.

Maybe. I'm in a wait-and-see mode. 51-31 and 2012 keep me from getting too excited.
None of the players or coaches responsible are currently with the team. So, you can get excited again.

OK, I think you and Jim should get ready for a rude awakening. Harbaugh doesn't have the talent advantage he had at Michigan or the 49ers. Bringing his former run-centric OC Greg Roman with him won't help when the only real weapon on offense is Justin Herbert. The Charger defense finished 24th in the league in 2023, and the new GM brought in little to bolster the unit. I see the Chargers much closer to the bottom of the AFC West than challenging the Super Bowl champs.

You mean kind of like Ryans and Stroud last year? No one thought the Texans had a talented roster going into the 2023 season. Rookie HC, rookie QB, lack of talent across the roster. Neither Harbaugh or Herbert are rookies. What does a team have to have? A QB. Herbert is definitely a franchise QB. Harbaugh and Roman will make it work.

They fixed the OL.

I think McConkey is going to have a big yr. It's time for Johnston and Palmer to step up. The TE position is a bunch of guys. The RB room is solid.

The defense particularly in the secondary looks to be hurting.

Damn why so much Prime time hate? I personally love Prime time games, there is just a different feel and atmosphere about it that makes it feel a little more special to me.

Plus a Christmas game... I have 5 soon to be 6 kids. If I can stall a little bit I could get by without having to be Bob the builder all day!

I love the "event" of the day's Sunday slate of football and the Texans taking part of the full slate. Though I also like it if the Texans are standing alone so I can watch other games, but I'm definitely less engaged if the Texans aren't part of the main slate of games.

I hate the primetime announcers too usually.

Biggest thing is that the primetime/holiday games are just a reminder of NFLs massive overexposure and more casuals watching, chiming in on social media, etc. Obviously we've always had MNF and we've had SNF for as long as I remember, but we used to only have Thursdays after Thanksgiving and now it's the whole year which leads to shitty quality play, and we never had Christmas games or **** on Netflix or Peacock or Prime whatever 30+-second delay, relying-on-internet-connection garbage either.

I love the "event" of the day's Sunday slate of football and the Texans taking part of the full slate. Though I also like it if the Texans are standing alone so I can watch other games, but I'm definitely less engaged if the Texans aren't part of the main slate of games.

I hate the primetime announcers too usually.

Biggest thing is that the primetime/holiday games are just a reminder of NFLs massive overexposure and more casuals watching, chiming in on social media, etc. Obviously we've always had MNF and we've had SNF for as long as I remember, but we used to only have Thursdays after Thanksgiving and now it's the whole year which leads to shitty quality play, and we never had Christmas games or **** on Netflix or Peacock or Prime whatever 30+-second delay, relying-on-internet-connection garbage either.
It's a new dumb world and we're just stuck here... pretty sure I was meant to be born back in the 1700s. A "headache" prevented that and I was born 200+ years too late. FML

Pretty sure I was meant to be born post indoor plumbing and air conditioning. So I'll have to suck it up and tolerate the NFL on streaming services.
Or just not watch the NFL when they're on those services. I've already got those streaming services, but I've chosen to watch very little of the games on those services. Depending on how things go with the family I may tune in on Christmas Day.

Good article analyzing the AFC South. The Texans , as expected, are the favorites to win the division this season.

Houston Texans

Houston Texans
2023 record: 10-7
  • Odds to win AFC South: +100
  • Last division title: 2023

WHY HOUSTON COULD WIN THE AFC SOUTH:The Texans took everyone by surprise last season, but that won't be the case this fall. Last year's upstart darlings will head into the 2024 campaign with high expectations, and rightfully so. With 22-year-old star C.J. Stroud entrenched as the franchise quarterback for an offense loaded with premier talent on the perimeter, Houston has enough firepower to win a shootout against any squad in the league. As the defense continues to progress under DeMeco Ryans' leadership and tactics, the Texans could cement themselves as an emerging superpower in the AFC.

BIGGEST OFFSEASON ADDITION: A trio of accomplished veterans. The Texans added three decorated vets with big-game experience in WR Stefon Diggs, RB Joe Mixon and DE Danielle Hunter. Not only does each player boost the roster at a marquee spot, but they all provide the kind of seasoned savvy that this young team needed in order to build on last season's trip to the Divisional Round.

POTENTIAL ACHILLES' HEEL: The hype around the Texans could disrupt the chemistry of a rising team attempting to take the next step after a breakthrough season. With a locker room full of big personalities and young stars looking to make their mark as blue-chip players, Ryans must guard against complacency and keep everyone pulling in the same direction.

BIGGEST OFFSEASON LOSS: Jonathan Greenard, defensive end. The breakout star's departure in free agency could alter the chemistry of a defensive front that produced a respectable 46 sacks in 2023. Greenard paced the squad with 12.5 sacks, displaying outstanding quickness, power and explosiveness as a relentless pursuer off the edge. Without the homegrown pass rusher in the fold, the Texans will need their veteran D-linemen (Hunter, Denico Autry and Derek Barnett) to complement second-year stud Will Anderson Jr. in the pass rush.

My thoughts on the division landscape:

Colts: Biggest threat to Texans. Most well rounded roster and best coaching staff of the rivals. Though will ultimately be held back by inconsistency at QB. Just not sold on Richardson staying healthy or developing into a superstar QB. They almost got it done in week 18 had Taylor not gotten a bum ankle in the 4th quarter with their battering ram offense. Texans will need to have an answer for Taylor this season.

Jaguars: Ultimately Jags will always Jag. Their OL puts a cap on the offense’s ceiling and I don’t think Lawrence is a QB capable of overcoming a subpar OL. Strong defensive pieces in the front 7, strong pass rush but their DBs leave a lot to be desired.

Titans: They made some splashy additions, but ultimately they are in transition. Without Henry they are now relying on a 2nd year QB who processes the pass rush slowly to drive the offense. Levis needs a running game, he needs play action and he needs a system that protects him from himself. He will not be getting that this season. But he will have a veteran group of WRs, albeit aging and slower to separate at a high price tag.

Baring the dreaded injury bug, the Texans should easily win the AFC South. Lawrence of Jacksonville will fail once again. And neither Richardson and Levis will have especially good years. And to think, two years ago before we drafted CJ, I was saying I rather have either Richardson or Levis before Stroud or the midget. LOL

Good article analyzing the AFC South. The Texans , as expected, are the favorites to win the division this season.

BIGGEST OFFSEASON LOSS: Jonathan Greenard, defensive end. The breakout star's departure in free agency could alter the chemistry of a defensive front that produced a respectable 46 sacks in 2023. Greenard paced the squad with 12.5 sacks, displaying outstanding quickness, power and explosiveness as a relentless pursuer off the edge. Without the homegrown pass rusher in the fold, the Texans will need their veteran D-linemen (Hunter, Denico Autry and Derek Barnett) to complement second-year stud Will Anderson Jr. in the pass rush.

The "Biggest Offseason Loss: Jonathan Greenard" seems odd when his replacement is a clear upgrade, particularly in run defense. If I had to choose I'd go with Cashman, as we're still missing a clear 3rd linebacker. Hopefully To'oTo'o has developed this year to fill the spot.

The "Biggest Offseason Loss: Jonathan Greenard" seems odd when his replacement is a clear upgrade, particularly in run defense. If I had to choose I'd go with Cashman, as we're still missing a clear 3rd linebacker. Hopefully To'oTo'o has developed this year to fill the spot.
Yeah, I guess in terms of contract Greenard was the biggest offseason loss if that’s what the article was getting at. But easily cancelled out by Hunter.

I would not put Cashman there as Al-Shaair was drafted to essentially take his spot as a top two LB, albeit a superior system fit.

For me the biggest offseason loss is Sheldon Rankins. We’ll see if the platoon at DT will make up for his loss. But the fact they took a swing at him and then Arik Armstead and came up settling for Settle and Fotukasi tells me they wanted to add more at DT this offseason.

Could also make a case for Steven Nelson, but since nobody is rushing to sign him, hard to call that a “loss”.

Yeah, I guess in terms of contract Greenard was the biggest offseason loss if that’s what the article was getting at. But easily cancelled out by Hunter.

I would not put Cashman there as Al-Shaair was drafted to essentially take his spot as a top two LB, albeit a superior system fit.

For me the biggest offseason loss is Sheldon Rankins. We’ll see if the platoon at DT will make up for his loss. But the fact they took a swing at him and then Arik Armstead and came up settling for Settle and Fotukasi tells me they wanted to add more at DT this offseason.

Could also make a case for Steven Nelson, but since nobody is rushing to sign him, hard to call that a “loss”.

I agree with DT, but I watched Caserio on Payne and Pendergast and he seemed pretty excited about the talent and competition at the DT position.

Steven Nelson is a knucklehead with his tweets about Demeco being a meathead. Good way to ruin your next contract.

I chose Cashman because there's still a minor (due to nickel being the highest % of defense) need, that I've heard of so far. I think safety is up there as well, but we didn't lose anyone.

Steven Nelson is a knucklehead with his tweets about Demeco being a meathead. Good way to ruin your next contract.
It's telling that Nelson hasn't signed. I don't know if it's his attitude, price point, ability, age, or a combo of all of these. But clearly, the league thinks less of Nelson than he thinks of himself.

Baring the dreaded injury bug, the Texans should easily win the AFC South. Lawrence of Jacksonville will fail once again. And neither Richardson and Levis will have especially good years. And to think, two years ago before we drafted CJ, I was saying I rather have either Richardson or Levis before Stroud or the midget. LOL
I think complacency is this team's biggest threat. Someone corrected me (and rightly so) that the Texans had some major letdown games last year. Will that be a recurring theme as the seasons roll on? If they can't take of business against the teams they should be able to handle quite easily, what's going to happen when they face good teams that will give the Texans their best? As some of mentioned, the Texans aren't sneaking up on anyone this year.

I'm certainly not taking the AFC South Championship for granted. Injuries and complacency can derail almost any team.

I think complacency is this team's biggest threat. Someone corrected me (and rightly so) that the Texans had some major letdown games last year. Will that be a recurring theme as the seasons roll on? If they can't take of business against the teams they should be able to handle quite easily, what's going to happen when they face good teams that will give the Texans their best? As some of mentioned, the Texans aren't sneaking up on anyone this year.

I'm certainly not taking the AFC South Championship for granted. Injuries and complacency can derail almost any team.

I don’t think complacency is an issue with this team.

They hungry!

Besides Meco won’t allow it.

It's telling that Nelson hasn't signed. I don't know if it's his attitude, price point, ability, age, or a combo of all of these. But clearly, the league thinks less of Nelson than he thinks of himself.
Seems like the 30+ year old DBs are all in a holding pattern waiting for a team to pay their price. We’ll see when injuries pile up if anyone does.

That’s where veteran leadership comes in.

The team added vet leaders on defense in Hunter, Autry and Al-Sha’air.

Offense they added Mixon and Diggs.

Then the young leaders like CJ and WA are no longer rookies and have now tasted playoff football.

This team has a good mix of young blood and vets. And a coaching staff who gets the most out of their players.

Back