Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Post Combine Mock

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Rate my mock draft from the @PFN365 Mock Draft Simulator. Not sure the mock sites have truly updated their player rankings. I did make a trade up to ensure a top DL was still there for the taking. The cost, 59, 247 and a RD3 to move up to 40. Robinson could easily justify the move, much in the same way Anderson did.

I’ve also included in my thought process….the Texans would add ILB, Patrick Queen.

1710072084780.png

A late round sleeper would be SWR/KR, Anthony Gould (Oregon State). He’s dynamic from his 4.38 speed and ability to stop and go. Receiving, running end arounds, screens, and return man are pretty strong. Could be another weapon like Dell, only slightly faster. Take a moment and watch his highlight b/c it is eerily similar to Dell’s. If his size sends him to RD7….let it be the Texans gain.

Last edited:
I mentioned above that it was included in the trade-up to the 40 pick.
Curious, what pass rushers were available at 2.59?

BTW, that trade is well off balance, with 2.40 200 points higher than 2.59. 7.247 carries no trade value and 2025 3rd is the value of a 2024 4th round pick. The cost to move up to 2.40 would be more along the lines of 2024 picks 2.59 + 3.86 + 4.126. Too rich for my taste.

Curious, what pass rushers were available at 2.59?

BTW, that trade is well off balance, with 2.40 200 points higher than 2.59. 7.247 carries no trade value and 2025 3rd is the value of a 2024 4th round pick. The cost to move up to 2.40 would be more along the lines of 2024 picks 2.59 + 3.86 + 4.126. Too rich for my taste.

I would’ve avoided the trade completely had that been the asking price.

On a side note….I’ve liked DE- Kris Jenkins (MI) for a while. I know he’s listed as a DT, but I think he could handle a move to DE b/c of his athleticism.

Last edited:
1710131320207.png
I'm trying to layer rookies with vets as a foundation. Mitchell was chosen as a 3rd weapon/possible replacement for Nico. He's an x or z. Sweat as the heavy inside player and replacement for Futukasi. Allen is the big zone runner to pair with Singletary. jackson is the long corner opposite of singleton. Carter is the 3 tech to replace Collins after this year to be in rotation early. Speights is a rangy strong sideline to sideline inside. Reiman is the inline te who also has some wiggle. Watson is a guy who is in the mold of Luvu as a rusher/thumper.

Rate my mock draft from the @PFN365 Mock Draft Simulator. Not sure the mock sites have truly updated their player rankings. I did make a trade up to ensure a top DL was still there for the taking. The cost, 59, 247 and a RD3 to move up to 40. Robinson could easily justify the move, much in the same way Anderson did.

I’ve also included in my thought process….the Texans would add ILB, Patrick Queen.

View attachment 13751

A late round sleeper would be SWR/KR, Anthony Gould (Oregon State). He’s dynamic from his 4.38 speed and ability to stop and go. Receiving, running end arounds, screens, and return man are pretty strong. Could be another weapon like Dell, only slightly faster. Take a moment and watch his highlight b/c it is eerily similar to Dell’s. If his size sends him to RD7….let it be the Texans gain.

I wanted DE- Danielle Hunter and Caserio delivered the goods. Along with his other signings, I kept my previous Mock very similar, but I had to make no trades to get what I wanted. Modified Mock:

1710286651205.png

Guyton is still my answer for RT. The team must have an option on the field that could be better than Howard.

Sweat is the big bodied answer at DT that definitely puts a massive run stopper in the middle of the DL.

Hicks provides a a solid SS behind ILB- Azeri Al-Shaair who can help pick up those TE, SWR, or RB.

Wright has been my focal RB for a good while now. He’d be an excellent running mate to Mixon.

McCaffrey is my SWR who could easily become CJ’s safety net. He’s got deceptive speed, good hands, willingness to go over the middle, and is a solid blocker downfield.

Anderson is another recent find who could push To’oTo’o for snaps at OLB. Supposedly was a standout at the Shrine Bowl and appears to have the tools to make a name for himself. I’ll be looking forward to his Pro Day.

I discussed what I saw about Gould and it was similar to watching Dell highlights. Gould could take over KR/PR duties to remove any unnecessary risk to Dell.

I’ve also discussed Cupp in the past. He’s a big solid blocker at TE, but does have decent hands and could become a nice Red Zone target b/c of his 6-6 / 260 lb frame.

It would be worth the time to check out the highlights on Anderson, Gould, and Cupp. All three would be excellent high ceiling picks late in the draft.

Last edited:
Just having some fun with the draft simulator. No matter how many times I restart, I can usually find someone at 42 I really like. I don't accept sim trades though, I think they are very unbalanced and ridiculous. Link to the sim here: LINK

If Mitchell were to somehow fall to 42, it would be difficult to pass him up. I think if he even gets to the 2nd round, someone will trade up to 33-36 and draft him... maybe the Texans do...? :D Corum at 86 is probably a bit too early, this draft has a lot of capable RBs that could be had in the 4/5 rounds. Any RB we draft will be behind Mixon anyways.
1710743441604.png

Sweat is a good option here, Legette at 59 would be awesome, need a safety early and RB depth. Everyone else is depth that you hope and pray improves into capable starters. I do think we need to draft a safety early if we don't get one in free agency. They will get playtime, whether they are worthy or not.
1710744516823.png

Not a huge fan of Taylor, but it's fun to mess around with the sim. I like the last 5 picks a lot for those spots.
1710744497106.png

Last edited:
That would take a miracle to happen. Best DT in class for scheme falling to 2nd rd.
To get Roman, don’t think he lasts to late 2nd rd. So plausible #42 I’d like that selection then pick another DT for #59?
Cole Bishop seems like a NE type Nick might really target.
Jaylen Ford, RB #1 in this class for me then following up with #4 fourth round would give Texans lightning & thunder.
Rest all solid positional picks just not my personal preferences.

Reactions: JB
That would take a miracle to happen. Best DT in class for scheme falling to 2nd rd.
To get Roman, don’t think he lasts to late 2nd rd. So plausible #42 I’d like that selection then pick another DT for #59?
Cole Bishop seems like a NE type Nick might really target.
Jaylen Ford, RB #1 in this class for me then following up with #4 fourth round would give Texans lightning & thunder.
Rest all solid positional picks just not my personal preferences.
I reckon Nick will defer to Demeco on the defensive side.
Of course, all players will be subject to the combined scrutiny of coaches, GM and scouts alike to assign them a value for their own big board.

Decided to give it a go one time. Don’t see Newton getting to 42 but if this was to happen, oh boy. Nick would likely trade up to 33-38 to get Newton if he was still there imo. With this draft another veteran linebacker would likely need to be signed. Wouldn’t be opposed to a Cunningham reunion only for depth and early down support. I would also still bring in Simmons to mentor Bullock for 1-2 seasons. The board didn’t fall exactly how I wanted late, but I like the upside of this draft,

@steelbtexan if only this were to fall like this.

IMG_6419.jpeg

@CloakNNNdagger have you done any research on Newton’s injury / prognosis and if you have can you direct me there? Search feature is a little clunky at times (and I’d rather go straight to the source anyway!)

Decided to give it a go one time. Don’t see Newton getting to 42 but if this was to happen, oh boy. Nick would likely trade up to 33-38 to get Newton if he was still there imo. With this draft another veteran linebacker would likely need to be signed. Wouldn’t be opposed to a Cunningham reunion only for depth and early down support. I would also still bring in Simmons to mentor Bullock for 1-2 seasons. The board didn’t fall exactly how I wanted late, but I like the upside of this draft,

@steelbtexan if only this were to fall like this.

View attachment 13817
Wow, this would be an unbelievable draft and set the team up to be championship contenders for yrs to come.

Did one more run where I drafted for Cleveland and Houston. Nice haul for both teams to help fill some gaps and add depth.

Sweat gap filler, run stopper, DT of the future.
Sanders at 59 is a luxury pick, but we do need another receiver somewhere in the system. Might be fun to have a set of Nico/Sanders/Mixon/Schultz/Dell from R-L. Good luck stopping that. I think a good WR can be found later in the draft.
Bullard for safety depth, might supplant Pitre in camp.
Ford is a decent linebacker with good size, need to give him time to develop.
Jackson a CB for depth, probably a nickel DB in year 1.
We need more bodies on the interior O-line, Nourzad is big and can help add depth there.
Jase is a good runner to compliment Mixon, need more RBs.
Hartman would be a nice backup QB for the future, as Mills' deal will expire next year. No need to spend a lot on this position, a late pick is perfect to keep the cost low and spend elsewhere.

1710863462236.png

Cleveland needs another LB in the mix, so getting Braswell at 54 is nice. They rely on their front 7 to make the rest of the game easy.
Brooks in the 3rd is just too juicy to pass up, even with Chubb's status a ?, but he should be coming back this year.
O-line is a concern because they don't have much depth (who does?) so have to add someone
Safety/DB depth here with Hampton.
TE is a position of need, since Njoku isn't reliably healthy. Barner's nothing fantastic as a receiver, but might make for a good 2TE blocker in goal line sets.
1710862039246.png

Okay, had to do a new Mock ***No Trades*** with the adjusted picks.

1711103010009.png

I attached a highlight video of Sundiate Anderson. He really showcased at the Shrine Bowl:

I attached a highlight video of Anthony Gould, very similar to "Tank" Dell:

Sweat, Braeswell, Hicks, and Anderson would give Ryans some exciting pieces for his defense.

Last edited:
NFL-team-logo

Darius Robinson Edge Missouri
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Mike Sainristil CB Michigan
Cade Stover TE Ohio State
Tanor Bortolini OC Wisconsin
Cornelius Johnson WR Michigan
Mark Perry S TCU
Kimani Vidal RB Troy

Did another mock couple hours later, first one Sweat was off the board 2nd he was available. Same can be said for Darius Robinson they flip, though Robinson should be gone & higher graded.
Otherwise, most of my favorite players with no trades.
NFL-team-logo

T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas most logical pick that sets deck for DL room.
Xavier Legette WE South Carolina elite athlete, thicker body, runs like a RB.
Jaylen Wright RB Tennessee has chance yo be special, hops and explosive.
Cade Stover TE Ohio State dynamic teammate of CJ. Must find position.
Tanor Bortolini OC Wisconsin inside versatile, great feet, squares up doesn’t get beat, nasty.
Tommy Eichenberg LB Ohio State another buckeye, why not?
Jay StanleyS Southern Miss late rd. value position of need.
Ja'quan Sheppard CB Maryland more secondary help.

I decided to post my first mock in several years using NFL DRAFT BUZZ's simulator. In this mock, I picked up on Beerlover's idea of trading Tunsil in one of his mocks. But, I decided to trade Tytus Howard to the Bengals instead. The Bengals gave me a 2nd, 3rd & 5th round pick for Howard. With the extra picks & no additional trades, here's how it turned out. I could live with this if it fell that way.

PICK: 42 RND: 2 (HOU)
Kool-Aid MCKINSTRY
CB Alabama

PICK: 49 RND: 2 (HOU)
Cooper DEJEAN
CB Iowa

PICK: 59 RND: 2 (HOU)
Christian HAYNES
OG Connecticut

PICK: 80 RND: 3 (HOU)
Ricky PEARSALL
WR Florida

PICK: 86 RND: 3 (HOU)
Michael HALL JR.
DT Ohio State

PICK: 123 RND: 4 (HOU)
Christian JONES
OT Texas

PICK: 127 RND: 4 (HOU)
Tommy EICHENBERG
LB Ohio State

PICK: 149 RND: 5 (HOU)
Fabien LOVETT
DL Florida State

PICK: 188 RND: 6 (HOU)
Jase MCCLELLAN
RB Alabama

PICK: 247 RND: 7 (HOU)
Tatum BETHUNE
LB Florida State

NFL-team-logo

Darius Robinson Edge Missouri
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Mike Sainristil CB Michigan
Cade Stover TE Ohio State
Tanor Bortolini OC Wisconsin
Cornelius Johnson WR Michigan
Mark Perry S TCU
Kimani Vidal RB Troy
Absolutely love this.

The goal should be to get one star level player out of this draft and 2 or 3 solid starter level players. That's why I like this mock so much. It's also why I want them to draft guys like P. Wilson and McConkey and or Sweat in rd 2. I would even trade future picks to add these 3 IMHO diffencemakers, then try to add a solid RB/TE in rds 4-5.

I really think they can come out of this draft with 3-4 major upgrades. Trading back was a very smart move, which gives them a lot of ammo in the 2025 draft also. It's so good to have a GM that doesn't just think about what do they need this yr, but in 2 yr windows.

Last edited:
Absolutely love this.

The goal should be to get one star level player out of this draft and 2 or 3 solid starter level players. That's why I like this mock so much. It's also why I want them to draft guys like P. Wilson and McConkey and or Sweat in rd 2. I would even trade future picks to add these 3 IMHO diffencemakers, then try to add a solid RB/TE in rds 4-5.

I really think they can come out of this draft with 3-4 major upgrades. Trading back was a very smart move, which gives them a lot of ammo in the 2025 draft also. It's so good to have a GM that doesn't just think about what do they need this yr, but in 2 yr windows.

PFN is a real solid sim, used only PFF before. They generate realistic trade offers (try not to take advantage of) with rankings up to date. Yeah, no worries think 3-4 major upgrades doable 👍

IMG_6444.jpegGoing to do a “Demeco Mind” draft - which in my mind would be something Demeco would without Cesario or Slowik in the room. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t take offense, it just means how I believe Demeco would draft without guardrails for his defense.

View attachment 13844Going to do a “Demeco Mind” draft - which in my mind would be something Demeco would without Cesario or Slowik in the room. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t take offense, it just means how I believe Demeco would draft without guardrails for his defense.
Gotta find a wr somewhere, maybe MVS in FA?

I sure would hate not drafting a wr in one of the best wr classes in yrs But this mock would be a transformational draft

Gotta find a wr somewhere, maybe MVS in FA?

I sure would hate not drafting a wr in one of the best wr classes in yrs But this mock would be a transformational draft

I still think a trade is brewing for a veteran WR. I know we hit on Tank but it feels like they want a veteran star to add to Nico and Tank. Maybe missing on Allen and if Diggs isn’t attainable they will go back to look into the draft but it seems they want a veteran to add to the room. It would make sense if Woods is cut as well to bring in a veteran leader.

This is a very deep draft rounds 1-4 and even some guys that would be mid rounders sliding down to 5-7 and I believe it could set up a couple of teams (Houston included) to get a huge infusion of talent/depth. This is absolutely a draft I want trade backs in.

Last edited:
I still think a trade is brewing for a veteran WR. I know we hit on Tank but it feels like they want a veteran star to add to Nico and Tank. Maybe missing on Allen and if Diggs isn’t attainable they will go back to look into the draft but it seems they want a veteran to add to the room. It would make sense if Woods is cut as well to bring in a veteran leader.

This is a very deep draft rounds 1-4 and even some guys that would be mid rounders sliding down to 5-7 and I believe it could set up a couple of teams (Houston included) to get a huge infusion of talent/depth. This is absolutely a draft I want trade backs in.
On one hand I would love to see Diggs brought in

On the other I wonder how he will mesh with the team and wonder about his leadership qualities.

With so many good WRs in this draft it is very conceivable some will fall simply because of saturation. And if teams do take one and stash him on their practice squad, he will be there for the taking.
Either way, I think Texans would be wise to hold out on a WR - we have enough as it stands especially with Tank coming back and they also have other options in the passing game with Schultz and Mixon.

This is my draft utilizing the logic @Lucky referenced where the Texans wouldn’t look linebacker until the 3rd-5th due to Ryan’s’ history of drafting linebackers. Still a huge fan of how this played out.
IMG_6445.jpeg

Any thoughts or rumors you are getting about the free agent wide receiver trade?

Back