Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Talk

I'd try to find the best kick returner there is...maybe twice. I have a feeling kick returns are going to make an impact early with the new rule changes.

Overall I’m not as excited about this draft as I was last years. Maybe the prospects will surprise me. My favorite pick was Cade Stover though.
Hard to top picking the OROY and DROY franchise cornerstones picks 2 and 3 overall.

This draft has added to the depth of the team with upside for starters. Excited to see how it plays out. They added talented players that performed at big time schools. I am confident in the coaches to develop some of these players to outperform their draft status. Let the dynasty begin!

With the possible exception of post-draft 2011, this is the most complete roster we have ever had.
Absolutely. There is not a glaring hole on this roster. You can make an argument that it’s DT but DeMeco is planning a platoon there. I think Autry should at least equal Rankins or Collins 6-700 total snaps from last season. Albeit rotating both at edge and DT. Same with Edwards, another DE who can rotate inside.

Then you have Foley/Settle who are 3-400 snap players imo. The real x factor imo is Khalil Davis. I liked what I saw from him last season and am excited to see if he’ll make another jump.

Marcus Harris is a good value in the 7th. 3 technique productive multi year starter at Auburn. High motor disruptor like Byrd. Both have violent hands (sensing a theme among DeMeco DL). Swarm!

Ladarius Henderson team captain at Arizona State transfers over to become starting LT for national champion Michigan. 35” arms!

Prospects with moldable traits.

Here is a list of the Texans draft choices.

2nd round, 42nd overall: Kamari Lassiter, cornerback, Georgia
2nd round, 59th overall: Blake Fisher, offensive lineman, Notre Dame
3rd round, 78th overall: Calen Bullock, safety, USC
4th round, 123rd overall: Cade Stover, tight end, Ohio State
6th round, 188th overall: Jamal Hill, linebacker, Oregon
6th round, 205th overall: Jawhar Jordan, running back, Lousville
7th round, 238th overall: Solomon Byrd, defensive end, USC
7th round, 247th overall: Marcus Harris, defensive tackle, Auburn
7th round, 249th overall: LaDarius Henderson, offensive lineman, Michigan

Edit to add Henderson. I was so excited I posted this before the Texans finished all their picks.

Last edited:
Here is a list of the Texans draft choices.

2nd round, 42nd overall: Kamari Lassiter, cornerback, Georgia
2nd round, 59th overall: Blake Fisher, offensive lineman, Notre Dame
3rd round, 78th overall: Calen Bullock, safety, USC
4th round, 123rd overall: Cade Stover, tight end, Ohio State
6th round, 188th overall: Jamal Hill, linebacker, Oregon
6th round, 205th overall: Jawhar Jordan, running back, Lousville
7th round, 238th overall: Solomon Byrd, defensive end, USC
7th round, 247th overall: Marcus Harris, defensive tackle, Auburn
You forgot Hendserson.

HOUSTON TEXANS: B+​

Lassiter — The cornerback run continues. Lassiter is a savvy cornerback who started on the outside in each of the last two seasons for Georgia, grading out in the 68th percentile in PFF coverage grade since 2022. It’s another dart throw at cornerback for Houston, who also brought in Jeff Okudah and CJ Henderson to compete for a spot across from Derek Stingley Jr.

Fisher — Notre Dame‘s Blake Fisher is a sturdy right tackle who provides the Texans some depth up front. He’s not flashy, but he has proven to be consistent. Fisher has posted 72.9 and 71.1 overall PFF grades over the past two seasons. Whether he starts immediately or within the next couple of years, Fisher provides further stability to Houston‘s offensive line, even if he isn’t the flashiest pick.

Bullock — A versatile and athletic safety prospect out of USC, Bullock has the range to be a difference-maker on the back end. He racked up seven interceptions and 11 forced incompletions over the past two seasons, but his play strength and tackling issues make him a bit of a project, albeit one with a solid ceiling.

Stover — Houston adds a quality receiving threat at tight end in Stover. Since 2022, his 982 receiving yards and 45 first downs led all Big Ten tight ends. He also produced a fantastic 138.2 passer rating when targeted this past season.

Hill — Hill played 350 or more defensive snaps in each of the past four seasons and was solid in coverage, earning a 70.0-plus grade in that facet in each of the past two years. He missed just 6.9% of the tackles he attempted last year, which could help him stick on special teams.

Jordan — Jordan is on the smaller side for the position (193 pounds) and produced underwhelming testing numbers (4.56-second 40-yard dash), but he produced some big plays for Louisville over the past few seasons, with 50 runs of 10-plus yards. It’s another option in the backfield for the Texans, who replaced Devin Singletary with Joe Mixon earlier this offseason.

Byrd — Byrd was always expected to take a big step in his later years at USC, so this is a high-ceiling selection for the Texans. Byrd can learn from Defensive Rookie of the Year Will Anderson Jr. after recording 41 pressures in 2023 on 302 pass-rush snaps. He often looks to dip under offensive tackles and could aim to bulk up to be a more productive NFL player.

Harris — Harris was fantastic against the run this past season, earning an 87.4 PFF run-defense grade in the best season of his college career. He has the talent to compete for snaps on a rotational basis as a rookie, especially on early downs, finishing this past season with a 10.2% run-stop rate.

Henderson — Henderson wasn’t on the PFF big board and struggled down the stretch for the Michigan Wolverines. He did show some flashes early in the season, though, earning a PFF pass-blocking grade above 70.0 in six of the first eight games of the year.

Fair grade.

The Colts graded out with A+. I think that was a fair grade as well. If Richardson stays healthy the Colts could present problems for the Texans. Not that I expect the Colts to immediately start winning those match-ups, but they could give the Texans fits.
Richardson ain’t going to last in the league. Not wishing bad upon him, as it’s in our best interest that he ends up being the Colts 10 year starter, but his style is on the wrong side of history.

Overall I’m not as excited about this draft as I was last years. Maybe the prospects will surprise me. My favorite pick was Cade Stover though.
After the exhilarating ride we had in '23 this one was always going to be a let down.
I was more focused on what value we actually added to the team and that was handled masterfully via FA this season.
Goes to show the vision of our FO.

After the exhilarating ride we had in '23 this one was always going to be a let down.
I was more focused on what value we actually added to the team and that was handled masterfully via FA this season.
Goes to show the vision of our FO.
Don’t take this personally but this entire post is confusing. Seems like you were trying to cover every base with the back and forth. Are you happy or not?

Screams a generous B. Of course Texans killed it in FA. So overall team improvement is A- @ worst, if three or four drafted prospects become staters then solid A.

Thing that gets me is KC, Ravens & Philly stay near the top, year after year, that consistency is tough to make up ground, stellar rosters from top down and both are paying their franchise QB’s.

Last edited:
I get that Kamari and Kool-Aid/Dejean will be tied together for a while and maybe Nick should have traded up to get them so I listed out the trade ups in the draft and loss value:

DET traded 29/73 for 24/2025 7th
KC traded 32/95/221 for 28/133/248
CAR traded 33/141 for 32/200
LAC traded 37/110 for 34/137
ATL traded 43/79 for 35/186
LAR traded 52/155/2025 2nd for 39
PHI traded 50/53/161 for 40/78/152
NO traded 45/168/190 for 41
CAR traded 52/142/155 for 46

HOU traded 86/123 for 78

DET gave up 865 points to get 740 back. Net loss of 125 points, equivalent of a late 3rd round pick, and a 17% loss of value.

KC gave up 713 points to get 700 back. Net loss of 13 points, equivalent of a mid 6th round pick, and a 2% loss of value.

CAR gave up 615 points to get 590 back. Net loss of 25 points, equivalent of a late 5th round pick, and a 4% loss of value.

LAC gave up 604 points to get 597 back. Net loss of 7 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 1% loss of value.

ATL gave up 665 points to get 567 back. Net loss of 98 points, equivalent of an early 4th round pick, and a 16% loss of value.

LAR gave up 580 points to get 510 back. Net loss of 70 points, equivalent of a mid 4th round pick, and a 14% loss of value.

PHI gave up 797 points to get 731 back. Net loss of 66 points, equivalent of a mid 4th round pick, and a 9% loss of value.

NO gave up 490 points to get 490 back. Net neutral.

CAR gave up 444 points to get 440 back. Net loss of 4 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 1% loss of value.

HOU gave up 209 points to get 200 back. Net loss of 9 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 4% loss of value.

Would Nick take a 5th next year for one of his 6th’s?

Johnny Wilson just went. He intrigued the hell out of me. Good pick.
He reminds me of Darren Waller. Everyone hung up on blocking tes except when you see top tes catching the ball like wrs at discounted prices.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

We talked about this very subject for the past few months. The Texans did not have the draft capital they did in the previous 2 drafts. And that would limit Caserio to move around as much as he had the previous drafts.

I also think a point that is interesting in terms of trades, is that there were fewer underclassman in this draft due to NIL payments...limiting the talent in the bottom rounds of the draft. Having the ability to stay at college while making legitimate money and not having to risk that a player could go undrafted/not make a team (without a college degree,) made the 5th-7th round picks worth less in trade value.

The talent level entering the draft will balance itself out, but the average-age of draftees should tick up with the current system.

I get that Kamari and Kool-Aid/Dejean will be tied together for a while and maybe Nick should have traded up to get them so I listed out the trade ups in the draft and loss value:

DET traded 29/73 for 24/2025 7th
KC traded 32/95/221 for 28/133/248
CAR traded 33/141 for 32/200
LAC traded 37/110 for 34/137
ATL traded 43/79 for 35/186
LAR traded 52/155/2025 2nd for 39
PHI traded 50/53/161 for 40/78/152
NO traded 45/168/190 for 41
CAR traded 52/142/155 for 46

HOU traded 86/123 for 78

DET gave up 865 points to get 740 back. Net loss of 125 points, equivalent of a late 3rd round pick, and a 17% loss of value.

KC gave up 713 points to get 700 back. Net loss of 13 points, equivalent of a mid 6th round pick, and a 2% loss of value.

CAR gave up 615 points to get 590 back. Net loss of 25 points, equivalent of a late 5th round pick, and a 4% loss of value.

LAC gave up 604 points to get 597 back. Net loss of 7 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 1% loss of value.

ATL gave up 665 points to get 567 back. Net loss of 98 points, equivalent of an early 4th round pick, and a 16% loss of value.

LAR gave up 580 points to get 510 back. Net loss of 70 points, equivalent of a mid 4th round pick, and a 14% loss of value.

PHI gave up 797 points to get 731 back. Net loss of 66 points, equivalent of a mid 4th round pick, and a 9% loss of value.

NO gave up 490 points to get 490 back. Net neutral.

CAR gave up 444 points to get 440 back. Net loss of 4 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 1% loss of value.

HOU gave up 209 points to get 200 back. Net loss of 9 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 4% loss of value.

We talked about this very subject for the past few months. The Texans did not have the draft capital they did in the previous 2 drafts. And that would limit Caserio to move around as much as he had the previous drafts.
He did move up for Bullock

I would have traded up for DeJean and Wilson. Obviously Caserio and Ryans disagree with me. Hopefully they got this right.

Back