Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Eligible QBs

I don't know how Caleb Williams has been considered the top QB prospect in 2024.

It's not just that he can't win against Utah, but his style of play is somewhere between Johnny Manziel, Mayfield.
There's some shade of Murray and Watson in there as well (which is a mix bag).

I think this is a bit of an overreaction- Williams profiles better than those guys, IMO. He's bigger, he's got a better arm, and, at least in comparison to Manziel, I think he at least cares about improving.

He's just not this miracle prospect that people were billing him as last year/prior to the season.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction- Williams profiles better than those guys, IMO. He's bigger, he's got a better arm, and, at least in comparison to Manziel, I think he at least cares about improving.

He's just not this miracle prospect that people were billing him as last year/prior to the season.
Improving?

Watson was 6'3

Murray's ball velocity was at 60.

Why three separate responses? Just lump everything together. Or use the edit function if you need to add something later.

Improving?
Yes, I think Williams seems like he cares more about improving than Manziel ever did. But notice that I use the word "think"; I don't actually know, because I am not at the practices, in the huddles, etc. It is just speculation.

Watson was 6'3
Ok? Murray isn't. Manziel isn't. Mayfield is roughly the same size, sure.

Murray's ball velocity was at 60.

I don't put much stock in how hard someone can throw the ball in a sterile environment. I think Williams throws the ball better than Murray, Manziel, Mayfield, and Watson during games. That is what I mean by he has a better arm.

Reactions: JB
I like Caleb Williams. He plays more like Watson in college. I never thought he was generational. That's a teem used too loosely imo. It's obvious that he has growing to do which everyone knew. He's also playing in a system that produced 2 Heisman winners and Hurts who finished 2nd. I scout the player, not the helmet. He's going to be ok regardless.

I'm going to repeat, no qb is playing better than Jayden Daniels. Including Pennix, Maye, Williams, and Nix. Daniels should win the Heisman

Mainly because now that the Texans found their QB, people aren't paying as much attention to the QB position as they were last yr. BTW, Beau Nix has really impressed me this yr.
College football is starting to mirror like the nfl. If you don't have a top level qb, you're not going to beat the top level teams. I still watch alot of college football even with the Texans not needing a qb.

Note to Sports: Cool it with the Caleb Williams hype

just to see what all the hubbub is about with this guy, I watched him the last two games, and ya know…… hmmm. I don’t think he’s as polished as CJ was at OSU.

This comment had to sting some…

“Considering Notre Dame only beat Duke on the last play of the game and lost to Louisville, it’s a good thing USC is joining the Big 10 and not the ACC.”

College football is starting to mirror like the nfl. If you don't have a top level qb, you're not going to beat the top level teams. I still watch alot of college football even with the Texans not needing a qb.
The UT/UH game was a great gameday experience.

You dont get that at NRG.

Why three separate responses? Just lump everything together. Or use the edit function if you need to add something later.

Yes, I think Williams seems like he cares more about improving than Manziel ever did. But notice that I use the word "think"; I don't actually know, because I am not at the practices, in the huddles, etc. It is just speculation.

Ok? Murray isn't. Manziel isn't. Mayfield is roughly the same size, sure.

I don't put much stock in how hard someone can throw the ball in a sterile environment. I think Williams throws the ball better than Murray, Manziel, Mayfield, and Watson during games. That is what I mean by he has a better arm.
Easier to respond when on a mobile phone, like I am, almost always, when checking into the forum.

I'm not sure I see any improvement in CW's game.
He already threw 4 Ints.
Still running around playing hero ball.
If anything, he has regressed.

If you need to use Manziel as a barometer... 🤣

If you're going to use the eye test to measure arm strength... 🤣🤣

Let's just agree to disagree.

Caleb Williams comes off as arrogant to me. That’s a problem, NFL wise. I don’t think he’s going as high as some predict. I don’t think it’ll be a Nevis type swan dive, maybe later rounds to some team that’s not as quarterback needy.

Caleb Williams comes off as arrogant to me. That’s a problem, NFL wise. I don’t think he’s going as high as some predict. I don’t think it’ll be a Nevis type swan dive, maybe later rounds to some team that’s not as quarterback needy.
I think he's a talent. I didn't and still don't agree with this qb class being superior to 23 class. I never saw Williams or Maye head and shoulders above CJ. Williams is not more talented than Kyler either and never saw anyone calling him generational. Meanwhile, Maye is losing to Virgina and Sanders lost to Stanford. Do I believe it's a team game? Yes. That's why to me team wins to the qb is ridiculous. Williams plays like Watson and to a lesser extent Mahomes. It's going to take the right coach to coach him. Mahomes got Reid which was a blessing. Watson got OBRIEN which wasn't ideal.

Easier to respond when on a mobile phone, like I am, almost always, when checking into the forum.

I'm not sure I see any improvement in CW's game.
He already threw 4 Ints.
Still running around playing hero ball.
If anything, he has regressed.

I was more so talking about his improvement from 2021-2022, not so much this year.

If you need to use Manziel as a barometer... 🤣

You brought Manziel up first

If you're going to use the eye test to measure arm strength... 🤣🤣

I never said arm strength; I specifically said "better arm" and clarified that I was referring to in-game. But go on, I guess.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Works for me.

I was more so talking about his improvement from 2021-2022, not so much this year.

You brought Manziel up first

I never said arm strength; I specifically said "better arm" and clarified that I was referring to in-game. But go on, I guess.

Works for me.
Manziel was for hero ball, the running around.

Mayfield and Watson both have live arms during games.
I don't see how an eye test can determine which guy has a better arm.

I don't see how an eye test can determine which guy has a better arm.

You watch the game tape and see whose receivers are under thrown or have to wait for the ball, or see who can throw off-platform and still get the ball to the target before the window closes, or any number of things.

It’s just like the 40; one player may run/throw better in his underwear, but another player may do it during a game. I value the game the more.

You watch the game tape and see whose receivers are under thrown or have to wait for the ball, or see who can throw off-platform and still get the ball to the target before the window closes, or any number of things.

It’s just like the 40; one player may run/throw better in his underwear, but another player may do it during a game. I value the game the more.
My eye test doesn't tell me the same thing as you saw.
I think Watson's and Mayfield's arms are livelier, but I don't think I can trust my eye test for sure.

I think he's a talent. I didn't and still don't agree with this qb class being superior to 23 class. I never saw Williams or Maye head and shoulders above CJ. Williams is not more talented than Kyler either and never saw anyone calling him generational. Meanwhile, Maye is losing to Virgina and Sanders lost to Stanford. Do I believe it's a team game? Yes. That's why to me team wins to the qb is ridiculous. Williams plays like Watson and to a lesser extent Mahomes. It's going to take the right coach to coach him. Mahomes got Reid which was a blessing. Watson got OBRIEN which wasn't ideal.
I like this yrs class much more than last year class

With that said I thought Stroud would be an avg QB, so I will defer to you.

BOB got the best out of the pervert.

I like this yrs class much more than last year class

With that said I thought Stroud would be an avg QB, so I will defer to you.

BOB got the best out of the pervert.
Not really, but there isn't any sense in going down that road about Watson and BOB.
I still like some prospects, but like most, they all have flaws and need the right coaching.

Not really, but there isn't any sense in going down that road about Watson and BOB.
I still like some prospects, but like most, they all have flaws and need the right coaching.
Thanks for not going down that road.

The guy that's really improved is Beau Nix.

Thanks for not going down that road.

The guy that's really improved is Beau Nix.
Yeah, I think we spoke about Nix last year. He has alot of tools and he seems to have put it together in Oregon. He transferred out there blind and it his paid off. He doesn't look erratic like he did in Auburn. Jayden Daniels has been the best qb in college football. I don't know what his draft stock will look like, but he has real game speed and nfl arm and has gotten better and better. I mean he's going to be close to 1000 yds rushing to go along with those passing tds.

Yeah, I think we spoke about Nix last year. He has alot of tools and he seems to have put it together in Oregon. He transferred out there blind and it his paid off. He doesn't look erratic like he did in Auburn. Jayden Daniels has been the best qb in college football. I don't know what his draft stock will look like, but he has real game speed and nfl arm and has gotten better and better. I mean he's going to be close to 1000 yds rushing to go along with those passing tds.
Daniels has looked really good too. You don't hear him mentioned with the top QB's. Wonder where he gets drafted?

Do you have Williams rated as your QB 1?

Daniels has looked really good too. You don't hear him mentioned with the top QB's. Wonder where he gets drafted?

Do you have Williams rated as your QB 1?
The questions I have about Williams is the same I have about Kyler. Can I tame him but not to the point I castrate him? I really think it's going to depend on who is drafting 1st. I really think there are teams out there who are in position that see Maye as a better prospect or a staff that worries about breaking him out of that system.

Over the course of 60 minutes at the Rose Bowl, Shedeur had been sacked seven times, hit 17 other times and knocked down 13 times, and he was pressured in the backfield on countless more occasions.

What wasn't clear at first was later revealed by Deion: The hits Shedeur has absorbed in recent weeks and on Saturday led to him receiving an injection at halftime to "block some of the pain," according to Deion, who said he would give Shedeur the next few days off.

Thank God we don’t have to worry about it. Would focus on 7th rounders who fit Slowick offense for development. Texan draft slotting is out of whack due to Casserio selling out the farm for Anderson.

Far as top QB’s mentioned.
#1 Drake Maye - true franchise blue chip prospect
#2 Michael Penix - best fit for the Slowick offense. Take him over Caleb, just watched him throw in Corvallis in worst weather conditions possible, still very accurate with beautiful spiral. Athletic when he needs to be, exactly who I would want if we didn’t have Stroud.
#3 Caleb Williams - boom or bust. Highest ceiling with the biggest risk.
#4 Bo Nix - This drafts Will Levis. Strong arm who like to gun it, but unlike Will he has shown more growth in a positive direction his last season with the Ducks.

:logo:

Back