Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Eligible QBs

I am hoping all of those QBs are selected sequentially and Marvin Harrison falls to Houston so Stroud will have him to throw TDs to .
Futile thought on my part but hey..

This is an exercise in futility. This is a case of what might have been.

For Starters:
PassingCompAttPctYdsY/ATDIntSackYdsLQBRat
Caleb Williams182572.027811.140223218.2

I will also be following Drake Maye, Michael Penix Jr., Shedeur Sanders, J.J. McCarthy
What about Bo Nix who showed alot of improvement last year. On another note, who doesn't play well under Riley?

What about Bo Nix who showed alot of improvement last year. On another note, who doesn't play well under Riley?
I'm really interested in how well Nix does this yr. He certainly looked the part to me. But I've got little faith in him. BL is a big Ducks fan so he would know the most about Nix's prospects.

Being an OU alum what do you think about Riley and his ability to develop QB's for the NFL, vs developing them into college star QB's. In short how ready do you think Williams will be for the NFL? He's the most physically gifted QB in college that I've seen in a while. But I'm still worried about the Riley factor.

Might want to keep an eye on Wisconsin incoming transfer Tanner Mordecai from SMU. He's 6-2 @ 218 lb and coming off a pretty decent 2022 season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4360271/tanner-mordecai
CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

If he could produce this kind of season (or better) for the Badgers....his draft stock probably goes up fairly nicely.

I'm really interested in how well Nix does this yr. He certainly looked the part to me. But I've got little faith in him. BL is a big Ducks fan so he would know the most about Nix's prospects.

Being an OU alum what do you think about Riley and his ability to develop QB's for the NFL, vs developing them into college star QB's. In short how ready do you think Williams will be for the NFL? He's the most physically gifted QB in college that I've seen in a while. But I'm still worried about the Riley factor.
In my opinion, Williams is a clone of Watson. Watson is a little bigger, Williams might be a little faster, not sure. As a prospect, he's as good a prospect as some of the most recent guys. What makes Riley system so effective in college is the same thing that made Chip Kelley, Telford, and some of those offensive system awesome in college, space and angles. What college offensive guys do on a bigger level is get high talent guys to run those systems vs just getting anyone to run them. I man Spencer Rattler was trending towards a Heisman and top pick until h wasn't.

In my opinion, Williams is a clone of Watson. Watson is a little bigger, Williams might be a little faster, not sure. As a prospect, he's as good a prospect as some of the most recent guys. What makes Riley system so effective in college is the same thing that made Chip Kelley, Telford, and some of those offensive system awesome in college, space and angles. What college offensive guys do on a bigger level is get high talent guys to run those systems vs just getting anyone to run them. I man Spencer Rattler was trending towards a Heisman and top pick until h wasn't.
Williams has a much better arm than Derrick has. IMHO

Williams has a stronger arm than Watson. But @leebigeztx comparison is pretty accurate in regard to going off schedule to make plays. The team that drafts Williams will need to incorporate that in their scheme.
Yep. He holds the ball, retreats, outruns and make plays. He's been a little nicked up, but he's a high end prospect. The staff is going to have to incorporate some of that college game into the offense much like Reid did with Mahomes. It's going to be interesting with all the qbs and the recent influx of young qbs and how many teams actually need a qb. I look at a guy like Ewers who might be forced to go pro because he has royalty behind him. Pennix, Nix, Maye. Somebody is going to go in the 2nd or 3rd rd because the teams making the playoffs, especially in the afc have young qbs.

Yep. He holds the ball, retreats, outruns and make plays. He's been a little nicked up, but he's a high end prospect. The staff is going to have to incorporate some of that college game into the offense much like Reid did with Mahomes. It's going to be interesting with all the qbs and the recent influx of young qbs and how many teams actually need a qb. I look at a guy like Ewers who might be forced to go pro because he has royalty behind him. Pennix, Nix, Maye. Somebody is going to go in the 2nd or 3rd rd because the teams making the playoffs, especially in the afc have young qbs.
It's probably my Horn fandom, but I think Ewers is going to have a big year.

Might want to keep an eye on Wisconsin incoming transfer Tanner Mordecai from SMU. He's 6-2 @ 218 lb and coming off a pretty decent 2022 season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4360271/tanner-mordecai
CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
If he could produce this kind of season (or better) for the Badgers....his draft stock probably goes up fairly nicely.

It's probably my Horn fandom, but I think Ewers is going to have a big year.
Ewers looked awful yesterday against a Rice team that doesn't have a player that Texas even considered recruiting. Accuracy deep is laughable. Uncoordinated and hesitant in the pocket. How Ewers has landed in the 1st round on preseason mocks is nutty. He's got a lot of work to do to get to the level of the guys that went day 3 in this past draft, like O'Connell and Tune.

Ewers looked awful yesterday against a Rice team that doesn't have a player that Texas even considered recruiting. Accuracy deep is laughable. Uncoordinated and hesitant in the pocket. How Ewers has landed in the 1st round on preseason mocks is nutty. He's got a lot of work to do to get to the level of the guys that went day 3 in this past draft, like O'Connell and Tune.
Yeah he had a terrible day even for him

I'm in Boston and didn't get to watch much football yesterday.

Caleb Williams182572.027811.140223218.2
Drake Maye243275.02698.42200153.7

Caleb still playing backyard football. Those passes across his body would be int's in the nfl. The coach that drafts him is going to need to have an appetitite for his style. He made some of the same plays Baker and Kyler pulled off in college.

Caleb still playing backyard football. Those passes across his body would be int's in the nfl. The coach that drafts him is going to need to have an appetitite for his style. He made some of the same plays Baker and Kyler pulled off in college.
Has he played anyone other than the sisters of Mary yet this year?

I wonder why nobody here is questioning Williams' character right now-

I'm not much of a college football fan and I don't know if this is an early negotiating tactic, but when I came across this article, my first thought was "You can choose to wait to draft a QB, but what happens if the QB doesn't want you and still has another year of college eligibility and his NIL money?"

Here are some interesting quotes:

“I’ve always been able to choose the team that I’ve played on, and then everything’s been scheduled for me,” Williams told Sam Schube of GQ. “But now, going into this next part of my career, it’s weird [because] it’s so uncertain. You don’t know anything. You can’t control anything but you and how you act. That’s honestly the weirdest part for me, is the uncertainty.”

“The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he’d almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first,” Carl Williams told Schube. “The system is completely backwards. . . . The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation. The worst possible team, the worst organization in the league — because of their desire for parity — gets the first pick. So it’s the gift and the curse.”

With the caveat, as Carl Williams said, that Caleb gets “two shots at the apple. . . . So if there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.”

But the situation in 2025 might not be any better, since once again the worst team will earn the top spot in the draft. So instead of running from it, why not take charge of it?

Caleb Williams has more control than he currently realizes. He can tell the team holding the first overall pick, “Don’t bother.” And he can back it up with action, refusing to sign a contract if the team holding the first pick takes him.

Caleb Williams wrestles with the "completely backwards" nature of the draft - NBC Sports

Last edited:
I wonder why nobody here is questioning Williams' character right now-

I have him as questionable.

I said he had questions earlier this year when he was painting his nails and said he was going to be better than Mahomes.

Kid ain’t played one down in the NFL and is already better than the best?

And now trying to knock the NFL having parity?

Man don’t NBA my NFL. Go back to painting your nails.

I have him as questionable.

I said he had questions earlier this year when he was painting his nails and said he was going to be better than Mahomes.

Kid ain’t played one down in the NFL and is already better than the best?

And now trying to knock the NFL having parity?

Man don’t NBA my NFL. Go back to painting your nails.

This young man keeps flapping his gums during what could shape up as one of the deeper RD1 QB classes in the last 10+ years, and he could find himself learning the same lesson as Colin Kapernick learned.

He’s sorely missing how the NFL was designed to work and the fact that he’ll have no chance of changing the way it works.

Last edited:
This young man keeps flapping his gums during what could shape up as one of the deeper RD1 QB classes in the 2024 draft, and he could find himself learning the same lesson as Colin Kapernick learned.

He’s sorely missing how the NFL was designed to work and the fact that he’ll have no chance of changing the way it works.
Who were the Bengals before Joe Burrow showed up? Ditto the Bills and Allen and the Chiefs with Mahomes? Get in the league, show out, get paid. Eventually, even a guy like Caleb Williams will figure this out.

This young man keeps flapping his gums during what could shape up as one of the deeper RD1 QB classes in the 2024 draft, and he could find himself learning the same lesson as Colin Kapernick learned.

Sounds like he'll get what he wants, not getting drafted at the top to the draft by the worse teams.

Who were the Bengals before Joe Burrow showed up? Ditto the Bills and Allen and the Chiefs with Mahomes? Get in the league, show out, get paid. Eventually, even a guy like Caleb Williams will figure this out.
Funny thing is you dont even have to be good to get paid. See: Kyler.

I just thought of something that gives me hope. Would you rather Goff or Murray as your QB for the next 5 yrs which one would you choose. I think Stroud can become Goff or maybe even a little better. But I think in the next couple of yrs (Maybe even this yr.) Goff will be the QB of a team that will at least make it to an NFCCG. I mean he's already taken a team to a SB. So give me Goff over Murray anyday. Goff had a top 10-12 QB yr last yr. This yrs Lions team is better. Imagine them trading for Mike Evans and having Evans/St. Brown/Reynolds/Raymond outside.

With Montgomery and a guy like Gibbs, that's a dangerous team with that OL. This doesn't even take into account that LaPorta had 5 catches last. night. You already know this but the Lions have a really good team this yr. IMHO

Last edited:
Funny thing is you dont even have to be good to get paid. See: Kyler.

I just thought of something that gives me hope. Would you rather Goff or Murray as your QB for the next 5 yrs which one would you choose. I think Stroud can become Goff or maybe even a little better. But I think in the next couple of yrs (Maybe even this yr.) Goff will be the QB of a team that will at least make it to an NFCCG. I mean he's already took a team to a SB. So give me Goff over Murray anyday. Goff had a top 10-12 QB yr last yr. This yrs Lions team is better. Imagine them trading for Mike Evans and having Evans/St. Brown/Reynolds/Raymond outside.

With Montgomery and a guy like Gibbs, that's a dangerous team with that OL. This doesn't even take into account that LaPorta had 5 catches last. night. You already know this but the Lions have a really good team this yr. IMHO

I’m with you on this line of thinking…..unfortunately, teams have to roll the dice based on CFB production when they hand out that first NFL payday.

Goff has definitely landed in a perfect situation for his skill set. The Lions landed Hooker in the draft and by all accounts continues to impress the staff with his knowledge of the playbook and all the different scenarios. Goff will be in a contract season come 2024 and an UFA in 2025. Hooker will get the Rodgers development period before hitting the field, unless he has an amazing summer in the Lions camps….could open opportunities for a trade.

As for WR, Mike (1K+ Per Season) Evans (TB) potentially being available for trade…..this is a move I’d like to see the Texans make. TB would need a replacement WR asap so I’d have no issues making Collins and a 2025 or 2024 pick available to make this happen.

I’m with you on this line of thinking…..unfortunately, teams have to roll the dice based on CFB production when they hand out that first NFL payday.

Goff has definitely landed in a perfect situation for his skill set. The Lions landed Hooker in the draft and by all accounts continues to impress the staff with his knowledge of the playbook and all the different scenarios. Goff will be in a contract season come 2024 and an UFA in 2025. Hooker will get the Rodgers development period before hitting the field, unless he has an amazing summer in the Lions camps….could open opportunities for a trade.

As for WR, Mike (1K+ Per Season) Evans (TB) potentially being available for trade…..this is a move I’d like to see the Texans make. TB would need a replacement WR asap so I’d have no issues making Collins and a 2025 or 2024 pick available to make this happen.
If both are available, give me Higgins over Evans, because of age.

Back