Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Some of us watched him in games like Northwestern, Michigan and I forgot the third, he looked below average. Would not use his legs, confused, ineffective for 3 quarters... Against the best team he faced, kid showed out in the playoffs. So I think what you are hearing is where was he in some of these other games, then boom, nothing to critique him on in a excellent game against vaunted Georgia. I could accept him as the pick now as I have seen him use all his tools when it counted, heck, maybe he was nursing some injuries or his coaches told him to save the other stuff until playoffs.
Or he could be inconsistent and just sucked in those games.

Some of us watched him in games like Northwestern, Michigan and I forgot the third, he looked below average. Would not use his legs, confused, ineffective for 3 quarters... Against the best team he faced, kid showed out in the playoffs. So I think what you are hearing is where was he in some of these other games, then boom, nothing to critique him on in a excellent game against vaunted Georgia. I could accept him as the pick now as I have seen him use all his tools when it counted, heck, maybe he was nursing some injuries or his coaches told him to save the other stuff until playoffs.
Good point and post.
I watched those games too. The Northwestern game the weather was very bad. He struggled in those other two games for sure. But that’s part of the game as well. It’s also about how you bounce back from those type of games. And he did pretty good with that Rich.

Good point and post.
I watched those games too. The Northwestern game the weather was very bad. He struggled in those other two games for sure. But that’s part of the game as well. It’s also about how you bounce back from those type of games. And he did pretty good with that Rich.
I find myself focused on other things and not all in on Texans or at past levels of excitement and research. Coaches, ho hum, I am not in the room so just gut feel ok with the list and like the Gannon team or offensive minds in Steichen/Payton/Kafka. Worried that Ryans is riding on all pro talent he took over. Whoever, just better than what we have. QB's, crap shoot, pick one and let's see if we have the coaches to get their talent out. I have placed myself on the prove it and win me back train. I have to say I was gonna get more into college ball because my kids are Aggies and all in, then I watched that putrid ball and wondered why we are all cursed

Every freaking quarterback has games in which they were inconsistent and just sucked in those games. Even the GOAT has had his freaking share of games like that. The great Mahomas had games like that in college too.

Lol you’re starting way too soon with the hate.

No hate here.

If Goff is good enough for some, then so be it. I'm looking for better out of 1-2.

Lol this young man’s game is not comparable to Goff. You’re starting up a a negative narrative because you doesn’t like his agent. And we all know how you’re going to act around here if we draft him.
Goff was a good prospect coming out of college. He didn’t have the success most expected coming out of college. He’s a different guy now than he was then.

To me, saying he’s like Goff is saying Stroud is worthy of a top 5 pick. Wanting to stay away from him because of the agent has nothing to do with the player & says more about the person saying it. I wouldn’t waste my time with such conversations

Lol this young man’s game is not comparable to Goff. You’re starting up a a negative narrative because you doesn’t like his agent. And we all know how you’re going to act around here if we draft him.

I happen to think Goff is pretty good, top 15 good. So I dont look for Stroud to be a bad QB, he's just not what I'm looking for if I'm spending pick 1-2.

Tell me what's the difference in Goff/Stroud's games that gives Stroud a higher upside than Goff.

Goff was a good prospect coming out of college. He didn’t have the success most expected coming out of college. He’s a different guy now than he was then.

To me, saying he’s like Goff is saying Stroud is worthy of a top 5 pick. Wanting to stay away from him because of the agent has nothing to do with the player & says more about the person saying it. I wouldn’t waste my time with such conversations

Goff was drafted 1.1 and the Rams traded up to get him.

Edit for history:

The trade: The Rams send their first-round pick (No. 15 overall), two second-round picks, a third-round pick, a first-round pick in 2017 and a third-round pick in 2017 to Tennessee for the Titans' first-round pick (No. 1 overall), a fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick.
The skinny: The relationship between Goff and coach Sean McVay deteriorated during the 2020 season and after to the point he was shipped to Detroit in return for Matthew Stafford. Goff started all 69 games in which he played in Los Angeles and posted a 42-27 record. The Rams made the playoffs in three of Goff's five seasons, and he passed for 107 TDs with 55 interceptions.

Last edited:
How are the Titans not better?

Granted, they got Conklin, Henry, and Byard... but the rest of those 2016/2017 draft choices were not great.

Titans not better probably because QB play over that time frame. Still had a overall solid to roster since then.

I want work ethic and undeniable drive.

Your JJs, Donalds, Bosas.

Win that **** in the trenches.

This all day, every day.

I'd personally rather see them pick best player instead of getting a QB just to market getting a QB.

Make the rest of the team so attractive and competitive that finding a QB in FA or the draft is easier due to appeal.

If we can gain another first round pick + I'd trade #2.

We're a lot further away than a QB. But I know I have more faith in Mills than some here.

E E DT Ctr LB's WR will help this team more. And they will be available to us. In Caserio I trust.

I think there are some good G & T in the mid rounds. New coaching should improve those now on the roster.

Maybe not justified, but I feel more encouraged than I have in recent memory.idonno:

Get Duggan late. He can do what Driskel has been doing, and do it better.

:coffee:

I like this approach. I think coaching makes a huge impact, so focus on getting the best staff and pick best player in the draft. This team has so many needs that a BPA approach fills each hole with potentially elite talent.

Getting a rookie QB and making him start is just David Carr 2.0. This team needs a lot more talent first, IMO.

This all day, every day.

I'd personally rather see them pick best player instead of getting a QB just to market getting a QB.

Make the rest of the team so attractive and competitive that finding a QB in FA or the draft is easier due to appeal.

I like this approach. I think coaching makes a huge impact, so focus on getting the best staff and pick best player in the draft. This team has so many needs that a BPA approach fills each hole with potentially elite talent.

Getting a rookie QB and making him start is just David Carr 2.0. This team needs a lot more talent first, IMO.
Hopefully Cal has learned from history.

Doubtful

No hate here.

If Goff is good enough for some, then so be it. I'm looking for better out of 1-2.
Some of these 3rd and 4th year guys seem to be playing better this year. Maybe they just needed more time and/or a different system and/or coach.
Hell, even Geno Smith is having an okay season - then again, he really hasn't had much time as a starter.

Good point and post.

I'm not sure very bad is enough to describe the weather for the Northwestern game. Heavy rain and near-constant winds at 25mph is just damn near impossible weather for a QB.

Who even scouts a QB in those conditions? I'd bet money scouts won't even look at that tape.

Until I know the head coach, what Houston does at #2 is a mystery to me. If they draft a quarterback, which I hope they don't, they might as well go all in and draft a security blanket for him. Either Q Johnston (6'4'', 210 lbs) or TE Michael Mayer. I'd prefer Mayer because not only is he a polished receiver, he's an elite blocker at the position. The Texans have undervalued the TE long enough.

Until I know the head coach, what Houston does at #2 is a mystery to me. If they draft a quarterback, which I hope they don't, they might as well go all in and draft a security blanket for him. Either Q Johnston (6'4'', 210 lbs) or TE Michael Mayer. I'd prefer Mayer because not only is he a polished receiver, he's an elite blocker at the position. The Texans have undervalued the TE long enough.
^^^This^^^

Some of these 3rd and 4th year guys seem to be playing better this year. Maybe they just needed more time and/or a different system and/or coach.
Hell, even Geno Smith is having an okay season - then again, he really hasn't had much time as a starter.
True, I'm looking for a Goff type guy in 3-4 yrs. That kind of thinking leads to mediocrity. But hey, some here only want to be entertained and they will win more games with Stroud/Yong etc... at QB. I personally found the RS/Kubiak/Schaub yrs to be more frustrating than entertaining, but I guess to each their own.

I watched a video of him on YouTube by some guy AZ Draft Room or something. Talked about his physical tools but how he doesn't progress through reads, etc. I wasn't too impressed and a few things talked about turned me off or worried me re: my ideal QB. Nothing about his competitive ability or anything. I honestly couldn't pinpoint anywhere I've read or gathered this sentiment but it's been over the last couple months. That's why I was asking further, haha.

Isn't that the guy who went to a college in Michigan? Maybe it is Pennsylvania. Either way, that's Big 10 country and as much as I am a Michigan guy, I am not going to listen to any scouting reports on Stroud if the guy went to school in the Big 10 area. Let me have an SEC guy do the breakdown.

So to be clear, you don't see a QB in this draft worthy of a 1st round pick, or you don't see a QB in this draft worthy of a top 5 pick?

I see 2 who could be top 10
Stroud, Levis and a few who are risky. Note I don't have Young as a top 2. Reason, looking at more film and pictures. I am thinking he is 5' 9 and change and the scouting reports I have seen all have a list of things that are not fixed very quickly. Add in the shotgun he tends to play out of and just not high on him.

Hopefully Cal has learned from history.

Doubtful

Unfortunately, his recent statements do not give me confidence that he's learning. Now he's going to be even more involved, and he's going to bring along his "ride or die" partner who is just as unqualified to make football decisions.

So to be clear, you don't see a QB in this draft worthy of a 1st round pick, or you don't see a QB in this draft worthy of a top 5 pick?

To be clear, I'm not a talent evaluator and I don't play one on the internet. That's way above my pay grade.

As a fan, I just want to see them pick the best talent available instead of reaching for someone or trying to fill a marketing need.

That said, I think it will be a mistake to pick Bryce Young and expect the Houston Texans to somehow overcome all historical data concerning physically small QBs. I can already anticipate how that will ultimately turn out as a Texans fan.

Unfortunately, his recent statements do not give me confidence that he's learning. Now he's going to be even more involved, and he's going to bring along his "ride or die" partner who is just as unqualified to make football decisions.

To be clear, I'm not a talent evaluator and I don't play one on the internet. That's way above my pay grade.

As a fan, I just want to see them pick the best talent available instead of reaching for someone or trying to fill a marketing need.

That said, I think it will be a mistake to pick Bryce Young and expect the Houston Texans to somehow overcome all historical data concerning physically small QBs. I can already anticipate how that will ultimately turn out as a Texans fan.
Last year the popular pick at #3 was Sauce Gardner, they went with Stingley. This year most mocks have the Texans drafting Young, maybe they will once again surprise the experts. It seems so easy. Pick Carter or Anderson. Those are the safe picks, IMHO. But the Texans make things so difficult. The easy, safe pick last year at #3 Sauce Gardner.

Never underestimate the Texans' ability to go waaayyyy out in left field and do something stupid. I started this post feeling optimistic, but now I'm sure they're going to piss me off.

Last year the popular pick at #3 was Sauce Gardner, they went with Stingley. This year most mocks have the Texans drafting Young, maybe they will once again surprise the experts. It seems so easy. Pick Carter or Anderson. Those are the safe picks, IMHO. But the Texans make things so difficult. The easy, safe pick last year at #3 Sauce Gardner.

Never underestimate the Texans' ability to go waaayyyy out in left field and do something stupid. I started this post feeling optimistic, but now I'm sure they're going to piss me off.
So let me be clear I understand. You do not want the HC to draft a player he wants? We're about to sign a new HC. Should it be made clear in the interview process that NC will make all draft decisions?

Isn't that the guy who went to a college in Michigan? Maybe it is Pennsylvania. Either way, that's Big 10 country and as much as I am a Michigan guy, I am not going to listen to any scouting reports on Stroud if the guy went to school in the Big 10 area. Let me have an SEC guy do the breakdown.
I have no idea haha.

Don’t a majority of the QBs these days play out of the shot gun?

Youngs poise and movement in the pocket is what impresses me the most

You are aware that he has been criticized for not being poised and having bad pocket awareness. That was 2 huge things last season they said he needed to work on. Watching film, I don't think he has improved his level of poise when the pocket gets dirty. He also has a knack for locking onto a WR if he is rattled...and yes he gets rattled. Which is a behavior that can be helped but likely never cured

You are aware that he has been criticized for not being poised and having bad pocket awareness. That was 2 huge things last season they said he needed to work on. Watching film, I don't think he has improved his level of poise when the pocket gets dirty. He also has a knack for locking onto a WR if he is rattled...and yes he gets rattled. Which is a behavior that can be helped but likely never cured
Really? Cause Every time i read up on him they say his poise and pocket awareness is his greatest strength. If he was 6 foot something he be the unanimous number 1 overall pick

Did everyone catch, over in the Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud thread, the comment by Todd McShay, who said that Young had told him at the Mississippi State game, October 22, that he weighed 296 pounds and intended to be over 200 pounds by his pro day and the combine. Four months in a training room and a good diet, very achievable.

Did everyone catch, over in the Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud thread, the comment by Todd McShane, who said that Young had told him at the Mississippi State game, October 22, that he weighed 296 pounds and intended to be over 200 pounds by his pro day and the combine. Four months in a training room and a good diet, very achievable.

Still not going to cover the flaws in his game and the fact he might not be 5' 10...5' 9-something

Still not going to cover the flaws in his game and the fact he might not be 5' 10...5' 9-something
We'll see. But unless everyone has been lying since Young's high school days, he was 5'11" his senior year, give or take a rounding up or down of a fraction. And he's grown, not unusual, in the three years since.

He's going to surprise and come in at 6'0" and 200 lbs.

Did everyone catch, over in the Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud thread, the comment by Todd McShay, who said that Young had told him at the Mississippi State game, October 22, that he weighed 296 pounds and intended to be over 200 pounds by his pro day and the combine. Four months in a training room and a good diet, very achievable.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ate a bunch of cheeseburgers and weighs 205.

Doesn't mean anything to me, he's a small framed guy.

If Caserio's Job is on the line I could see him trading down and drafting a guy like Wilson and then drafting a WR. Then picking IKA at 2-32. In the 3rd the best Center and lb.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ate a bunch of cheeseburgers and weighs 205.

Doesn't mean anything to me, he's a small framed guy.

Exactly!! Why is it that people think if you weigh more you must be huge. There are a few different types of bone structures and his is small or... Here please read and understand. Weight is NOT the measurement I care about

Exactly!! Why is it that people think if you weigh more you must be huge. There are a few different types of bone structures and his is small or... Here please read and understand. Weight is NOT the measurement I care about

So what is Young's wrist measurement?

I don't remember this measurement being taken at the combine. We'll likely never know. He could be medium boned/ framed.

This all day, every day.

Perhaps they won't be selecting a QB just to market a QB but to get what they think is a franchise player? I believe they think Young is best player available. Perhaps they do not think a free agent QB is better than Stroud or Young or even Levis?

Bolded seems to be exactly what they are doing so far..

Davis Mills had a much better oline than did David Carr..

This all day, every day.

Mills could still be a lot better with time and better team around him but the trouble is, will he be good enough to get us to and win a SB?
I can't see it.
We have a bonus first round pick this year and next so we still have a chance to get a top QB and a quality prospect in the top third of this draft and the next - so I think you have to take a punt on a QB.

Mills could still be a lot better with time and better team around him but the trouble is, will he be good enough to get us to and win a SB?
I can't see it.
I agree. But I don’t see any QB taking this team to the Super Bowl in the next two years. So I don’t know we should be in a hurry to get a QB.

I’m not against drafting a QB. I don’t want to spend a top draft pick on a guy that only marginally improves our chances.

Whoever the QB is he’s going to need more playmakers, more difference makers on offense & defense. This year I’d rather add as many difference makers as possible.

So what is Young's wrist measurement?

I don't remember this measurement being taken at the combine. We'll likely never know. He could be medium boned/ framed.

He is small boned, 1 look at him shows he is not large or medium. Nothing wrong with small boned, but it won't take a hit as well as the other 2. Just facts not bashing him. I just don't think his lack of size and his cons (scouting reports) make him the top QB. He could be really good in a few years but he has to clean up his mistakes and add muscle. He can't make up for being short comes to most QBs however

I agree. But I don’t see any QB taking this team to the Super Bowl in the next two years. So I don’t know we should be in a hurry to get a QB.

I’m not against drafting a QB. I don’t want to spend a top draft pick on a guy that only marginally improves our chances.

Whoever the QB is he’s going to need more playmakers, more difference makers on offense & defense. This year I’d rather add as many difference makers as possible.
I see your point, but unless you trade that #2 pick, it is still only one prospect.
I have a feeling judging by Carstereo's interview a week or so back that he is on thin ice and will likely be looking very hard at this QB class and take the best option - not only to generate some excitement and sales and save his job, but possibly get a franchise QB.
Every year we see flops, and success stories - ya never know. To me, you cannot succeed without excellent coaching - it starts there.

I see your point, but unless you trade that #2 pick, it is still only one prospect.
I have a feeling judging by Carstereo's interview a week or so back that he is on thin ice and will likely be looking very hard at this QB class and take the best option - not only to generate some excitement and sales and save his job, but possibly get a franchise QB.
Every year we see flops, and success stories - ya never know. To me, you cannot succeed without excellent coaching - it starts there.
I'm for trading down if a team wants one of these QB's. Get more picks in this yrs draft and the 2024 draft to speed up the rebuilding process.

. If Caserio is truly on the hot seat then he should sign Jimmy G in FA so the team will win more if his job is truly in jeopardy. At least this is what I would do if my job was in jeopardy. No need for me to lose my job while a rookie QB is learning on the job.

I'm for trading down if a team wants one of these QB's. Get more picks in this yrs draft and the 2024 draft to speed up the rebuilding process.

. If Caserio is truly on the hot seat then he should sign Jimmy G in FA so the team will win more if his job is truly in jeopardy. At least this is what I would do if my job was in jeopardy. No need for me to lose my job while a rookie QB is learning on the job.
I compared Brock Purdy with Aiden O'Connell draft profiles from the same website.
They read very similar except O' Connell's reads better with decision making. Same threat with their legs, same arm talent but O'Connell is more accurate on the run.
I think he is worth a flyer to sit behind #1 and #2.
Some decent coaching will benefit our QB room.
His main knock is his frame - he is slightly lighter than ideal at 210, but not enough to be a major concern. At 6'3", he has ideal height and 9 7/8" hands compared to Purdys 9 3/8".
He could go undrafted, but I would take him with a 6th to make sure you get him - we have 4 of those.

Back