Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

What Lance doesn't seem to understand is that Desperate Teams, with a desperate need at QB, will do desperate things. Osweiler? Osweiler anyone? $230MM FULLY GTD? Anyone?

Except Osweiler wasn’t drafted at #1 overall and isn’t a scrawny midget. Boy is 6’7” 240+lbs. He was a 2nd round (FA at the time the Texans signed him) that didn’t turn out to be as good as Bob thought he’d be. I agree with Lance.

I like Young but not enough to lose one extra pick for him.

The defensive line is terrible, and this is THE draft to be using those top picks to shore up that line.

Ideally, the Texans move back a little to stockpile picks for next year. I feel like there's a better than 50/50 chance the Texans are drafting outside of the top five in 2024. They may need some of those extra picks to move up and nab one of those top quarterbacks.

im thinking we’ve sank enough resources into the o-line over the last few years between Tunsil, Howard and now Green. Its time to get a qb & some skill guys and a HC/OC combo that will maximize the talents & play to the strengths of those guys. You do that, the o-line play will Improve dramatically.

Playing careers are short so need to always keeping restocking the trenches. Need to move on from Tunsil some point, no reason for this franchise to make LT highest paid in NFL. Also really need starting Center. Would suggest, whoever they draft to play QB also draft his Center if he grades out.

Except Osweiler wasn’t drafted at #1 overall and isn’t a scrawny midget. Boy is 6’7” 240+lbs. He was a 2nd round (FA at the time the Texans signed him) that didn’t turn out to be as good as Bob thought he’d be. I agree with Lance.
This really does not have anything to do with desperate teams doing desperate things. Osweiler just happened to be the most available QB at the time to satisfy Bob McNair's desperation after he ignored the QB position since Schaub's demise. You can also make the argument that players who are 6'7" or taller have little or no success in the NFL, maybe even more so than QBs who are < 6'.

Playing careers are short so need to always keeping restocking the trenches. Need to move on from Tunsil some point, no reason for this franchise to make LT highest paid in NFL. Also really need starting Center. Would suggest, whoever they draft to play QB also draft his Center if he grades out.

im cool with restocking with lower round guys in the draft and developing, im just over spending high draft capital on o-linemen trying to get the great wall of Dallas. What successful teams and coaches are doing more of now is molding offenses and playcalling around the strengths of their players rather than having fitting square pegs into round holes.

Aside from that, i think we’ve got enough talent up front to do some things.

im cool with restocking with lower round guys in the draft and developing, im just over spending high draft capital on o-linemen trying to get the great wall of Dallas. What successful teams and coaches are doing more of now is molding offenses and playcalling around the strengths of their players rather than having fitting square pegs into round holes.

What makes you think this ?

What makes you think this ?
An upgrade at RG is a must - I think Green can make the next step next season.
Some think the Center situation here is okay - if we get that upgrade at RG that should help the Center right? I'm thinking yes but if not, an upgrade at C may be necessary but a good Guard on both sides can open up schemes on the line.

An upgrade at RG is a must - I think Green can make the next step next season.
Some think the Center situation here is okay - if we get that upgrade at RG that should help the Center right? I'm thinking yes but if not, an upgrade at C may be necessary but a good Guard on both sides can open up schemes on the line.

Through 3 am they, (PFF), had Quessenberry ranked last of 41. I just looked at him again. They must've just inserted the grades from game #17 because they just moved him to #32 - of the centers. Green came out of nowhere, literally, and moved to #5. I watched the line part of a second time and Green was kickin' a$$ .... this close relationship he and Tunsil have formed has paid off ! Also watched Cann. They moved him from #41 to #9 and I haven't seen him dominate anyone. These updated scores after the 17th game of the season seem a little like a knee jerk response. We are getting closer, if this game was not a fluke, but I doubt Cann or Quessenberry will ever be able to overcome their talent deficiencies. Three down and two to go .... but John just reminded us, it's time to move on from "the once highest paid lineman in the league". No rest for the wicked !

Last edited by a moderator:
1) #2 JC Stroud
2) #12 Q Johnson

Nico Collins 6'4" 4.45 - can we keep two that similar ..... Nico - clock fast .... field slow ? possible I guess .... usually - other way around ! Gotta get a center ....& RG .... if there's a good'un !
For me Collins needs to step up & take over wide receiver 2 this season or i expect Metchie if healthy to take it. Collins was OK but I expected more and I blame that on our quarterbacks. With either Young or Stroud there is no excuse.

Rashee Rice or Hyatt can replace Cooks and if we indeed get a round 2 in trade, both. Add Metchie speed.. whooey.
Use that 12 elswhere.

Tunsil= pro bowler
Green = 1st round pick
Howard = 1st round pick

No team has 5 pro bowlers & most teams dont spend that much on their o-line..they just coach guys up and use the qb and creative playcalling to help offset where you may be deficient.

Yep. The Texans desperately need skill players that can make plays. And pass rushers. They desperately need defensive line play-makers, too.

You’re really confusing separate issues, coaching, system, talent and how it’s being applied on the field. Coaching change three or is it four seasons in a row? Different schemes, position coaches etc….that’s an offensive line killer, no continuity, even with players here, playing musical chairs. Scheme fits, QB by committee, injuries they all play a role. Like you stated, spent enough resources already, well I can name 4 first round picks, either player or equity, that were reaches, but that doesn’t mean you stop improving OL, just means you gotta get it right.

Listen’ed a bit to Caserio on 610 today admit they gotta get this corrected, improve processes, better analytics (frankly I’m shocked he admitted as much, but it’s all true). If those issues don’t change this offseason and draft the McNairs have a bullseye on his back, nothing personal just business.

Now let’s get back to the draft part. If process is right/fixed, you don’t reach for needs, instead select BPA like they’ve been supposed to be doing, you don’t pass on an offensive linemen, regardless of round, measured against pool of talent that shakes out, on your big board.

So while I’m agreeing with you on some levels, we need clarity & cohesiveness to level up to the competition, each draft class is unique with different positions of strength and weaknesses. Just because Texans have reached, repeatedly on the offensive line, doesn’t mean when the time comes and BPA actually is a tackle, guard or center you don’t take him, you absolutely should if it improves your room and makes the biggest impact. Regardless, the heat is on and this time Nick just needs to get it right.

Tunsil= pro bowler
Green = 1st round pick
Howard = 1st round pick

No team has 5 pro bowlers & most teams dont spend that much on their o-line..they just coach guys up and use the qb and creative playcalling to help offset where you may be deficient.
I’m hoping the new coaching staff installs the ZBS, and some WCO/modern offense fusion. Hell, any offense that can actually scheme guys open works for me. Let’s scrap these retarded arse schemes this team has ran since 2014.

I'm not sold on Bryce Young but I'd be ok with him as the pick at 1.2 if he's there.

If Young goes 1.1, I'm not sold on Stroud either, and I'd be more confident with Will Anderson at that spot and waiting to see if Stroud or Levis falls to 1.12.

I think it's likely that they're both going to be gone before 1.12, so I'd be happy if Quentin Johnston was available there.

I'm not sure which direction I'm leaning if the top three QB and Johnston are gone by 1.12. Still pondering that.

Not being particularly sold on any of the top three QB, I'd be very happy to come away with Will Anderson and Quentin Johnston in the first.

You’re really confusing separate issues, coaching, system, talent and how it’s being applied on the field. Coaching change three or is it four seasons in a row? Different schemes, position coaches etc….that’s an offensive line killer, no continuity, even with players here, playing musical chairs. Scheme fits, QB by committee, injuries they all play a role. Like you stated, spent enough resources already, well I can name 4 first round picks, either player or equity, that were reaches, but that doesn’t mean you stop improving OL, just means you gotta get it right.

Listen’ed a bit to Caserio on 610 today admit they gotta get this corrected, improve processes, better analytics (frankly I’m shocked he admitted as much, but it’s all true). If those issues don’t change this offseason and draft the McNairs have a bullseye on his back, nothing personal just business.

Now let’s get back to the draft part. If process is right/fixed, you don’t reach for needs, instead select BPA like they’ve been supposed to be doing, you don’t pass on an offensive linemen, regardless of round, measured against pool of talent that shakes out, on your big board.

So while I’m agreeing with you on some levels, we need clarity & cohesiveness to level up to the competition, each draft class is unique with different positions of strength and weaknesses. Just because Texans have reached, repeatedly on the offensive line, doesn’t mean when the time comes and BPA actually is a tackle, guard or center you don’t take him, you absolutely should if it improves your room and makes the biggest impact. Regardless, the heat is on and this time Nick just needs to get it right.

BPA is a strategy that’s not really followed until the later rounds when the talent balances out. But im not gonna draft say an LT in the 1st round just b/c he’s the bpa that fell to my slot if i already have a young pro bowler already in that place, sorry.
and before you throw out trading down…or trading up for that matter, look, that takes 2. & even if you are able to, you STILL might end up “reaching” for a player. Look at what happened to the Texans with Howard. Traded up to try to get Dillard and got jumped by philly. Thats why i’ve never liked the term “reach”. Furthermore not every supposed reach is a bad thing. Howard has for the most part fared well. Dillard might be out the league in a year or 2.

I agree with what you’re saying about cohesiveness & all that, but this is a year to year league and the only time teams can really generate that is when they have a franchise qb on the roster.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on Bryce Young but I'd be ok with him as the pick at 1.2 if he's there.

If Young goes 1.1, I'm not sold on Stroud either, and I'd be more confident with Will Anderson at that spot and waiting to see if Stroud or Levis falls to 1.12.

I think it's likely that they're both going to be gone before 1.12, so I'd be happy if Quentin Johnston was available there.

I'm not sure which direction I'm leaning if the top three QB and Johnston are gone by 1.12. Still pondering that.

Not being particularly sold on any of the top three QB, I'd be very happy to come away with Will Anderson and Quentin Johnston in the first.

After watching Lance Zierlein's in-depth analysis of his historical research, I want no part of Bryce Young. Too small to survive the NFL for long.

No amount of talent can overcome the obvious limitations of being physically small in a league of giants.

After watching Lance Zierlein's in-depth analysis of his historical research, I want no part of Bryce Young. Too small to survive the NFL for long.

No amount of talent can overcome the obvious limitations of being physically small in a league of giants.

I haven't watched a lot of Stroud, but even though they lost to Georgia, I thought he did some outstanding work in that game. I was impressed with his accuracy and he kept some plays alive and delivered some dimes off schedule and on the move.
That's really the only full game I've watched so limited sample size and all that

Who are some little QB's we can compare. Tua 6'-1" 215. Kyler Murray 5'-10" 207 lbs. Both have had injury plagued careers so far. Of course big guys get hurt too.
Can these little guys see over their own offensive linemen?

By the way, 6'-3" is apparently the average height of a NFL QB.

BPA is a strategy that’s not really followed until the later rounds when the talent balances out. But im not gonna draft say an LT in the 1st round just b/c he’s the bpa that fell to my slot if i already have a young pro bowler already in that place, sorry.
and before you throw out trading down…or trading up for that matter, look, that takes 2. & even if you are able to, you STILL might end up “reaching” for a player. Look at what happened to the Texans with Howard. Traded up to try to get Dillard and got jumped by philly. Thats why i’ve never liked the term “reach”. Furthermore mot every supposed each is a bad thing. Howard has for the most part fared well. Dillard might be out the league in a year or 2.

I agree with what you’re saying about cohesiveness & all that, but this is a year to year league and the only time teams can really generate that is when they have a franchise qb on the roster.
We need to sit down, in war room & discuss :slapfight:

I haven't watched a lot of Stroud, but even though they lost to Georgia, I thought he did some outstanding work in that game. I was impressed with his accuracy and he kept some plays alive and delivered some dimes off schedule and on the move.
That's really the only full game I've watched so limited sample size and all that

I don't follow college ball so I don't have a clue about any of the prospects. And it's a crap shoot whoever they pick. That said, it's obvious that measurables, especially something as basic as physical size, has got to be part of the decision-making process.

Maybe Young is a "generational talent", but are the Texans the team that can protect him and allow him to thrive? For me, Magic 8 Ball says " Outlook not so good".

Who are some little QB's we can compare. Tua 6'-1" 215. Kyler Murray 5'-10" 207 lbs. Both have had injury plagued careers so far. Of course big guys get hurt too.
Can these little guys see over their own offensive linemen?

By the way, 6'-3" is apparently the average height of a NFL QB.

Here's one of Lance Z's recent breakdowns:

I don't follow college ball so I don't have a clue about any of the prospects. And it's a crap shoot whoever they pick. That said, it's obvious that measurables, especially something as basic as physical size, has got to be part of the decision-making process.

Maybe Young is a "generational talent", but are the Texans the team that can protect him and allow him to thrive? For me, Magic 8 Ball says " Outlook not so good".

Here's one of Lance Z's recent breakdowns:

This is why the Combine is so important, even though some say it is not, it separates the men from the boys (especially OL). Take Kenyon Green, his Combine showed him to be slow and weak and suggested he would have problems in pass protection, and he has.

I am very interested to see how Stetson Bennett measures out. He reminds me a lot of Drew Brees and his pinpoint accuracy. If he is 6' and 200 lbs, I'm in.

There’s plenty of 6’2” and taller QBs who get injured a lot too. Dak Prescott for one. This is a violent game. People get hurt.

And then there’s guys like Pitre, listed at 6’0” 197. Are we worried about his health with some of the hits he makes on much larger players?

For the record, I could live with either Young or Stroud. I think more is going to depend on the coach coming in and what he can do with those guys. And seeing the list of candidates I feel more confident with whoever they pick than I did before last Sunday.

I have a few ideas.

No. 2 -Stroud
No. 12- Quentin Johnston, TCU WR

Or BPA
No. 2 - Will Anderson Jr., Alabama OLB
No. 12 - Anthony Richardson, Florida QB

Or unexpected but D wins Championships
No. 2 - Jalen Carter, Georgia DL
No. 12 - Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech DE

And then the high reward with risk
No 2. - Trade down to #6 and aquire a 2nd round pick. Draft:
Will Levis, Kentucky QB

When I say upside, I mean the highest ceiling. Not necessarily as a pocket passer exclusively, but as the best well-rounded football QB. Basically, like a Josh Allen type talent. There's a reason people keep bringing Allen up here, and it's because the style of game they play and tools are similar. I don't think Young or Stroud have this kind of upside in the NFL game.
[/QUOTE

Does Johnson remind anybody of Tee Higgins?

Similar no question. Both are 6' 4, both about 215, both run a 4.54 (Higgins) and 4.4est (Johnson). According to scouting reports it seems that they think Johnson might be better.

College stats Higgins
College stats Johnson

Didn't listen to any scouting reports. So not sure who looks better on film.here are 2 scouting reports 1 for each. Johnson sounds like a beast. Higgins they say is not as good off the line and running routes. But watch the videos, it's like 8min total. And that's what the main talking points are for each.

Last edited:
I am very interested to see how Stetson Bennett measures out. He reminds me a lot of Drew Brees and his pinpoint accuracy. If he is 6' and 200 lbs, I'm in.
I've read that he is actually 5'11", which I'll bet is still bigger than Young (5' 10"?). I would actually be OK with drafting the best defensive player and WR in round 1 and Stetson Bennett in a later round as a project. We could acquire a veteran to compete with Mills and Bennett for the starting job. The guy has moxy and he shows up in big games.

I've read that he is actually 5'11", which I'll bet is still bigger than Young (5' 10"?). I would actually be OK with drafting the best defensive player and WR in round 1 and Stetson Bennett in a later round as a project. We could acquire a veteran to compete with Mills and Bennett for the starting job. The guy has moxy and he shows up in big games.
At this juncture I would not be surprised to see the Raiders draft Bennett with their #7 pick.

Agreed. I’d rather get a vet FA at center even if the team has to overpay. Then a developmental interior OL in a later round. Premium picks have to be used to add talented weapons for whoever the new QB is gonna be. I’d like another WR and TE with their first four picks.
Which QB?

Bennett is older than 3 of the 4 QBs who started today (Saturday). Yeah, I think the age is a concern, but especially since he has no experience in anything resembling a pro-style offense.

Also I would be shocked if he’s 6’ tall.

I’m out on a QB the size of Bryce Young as a top 2 pick. He’s not thickly built like Russell Wilson, all-time quick like Kyler Murray, or all-time accurate like Drew Brees. Sorry not for me. Let someone else take a chance. I’d rather take a chance on Levis or Stroud.
There is a good chance he slides down the board a bit for that reason - especially if he comes in under 5'11" 195lbs.

Last edited:
I’m out on a QB the size of Bryce Young as a top 2 pick. He’s not thickly built like Russell Wilson, all-time quick like Kyler Murray, or all-time accurate like Drew Brees. Sorry not for me. Let someone else take a chance. I’d rather take a chance on Levis or Stroud.

Drew Brees’ college stats do not reflect someone who was “all-time” accurate. Young was more accurate at Alabama than a Bress at Purdue.

Also, why willing to gamble on Levis but not Young? Both has risk involved, just different kinds.

Drew Brees’ college stats do not reflect someone who was “all-time” accurate. Young was more accurate at Alabama than a Bress at Purdue.

Also, why willing to gamble on Levis but not Young? Both has risk involved, just different kinds.
Maybe because he thinks Levis skillet has less of a chance busting than Young , whose size would make him a unicorn if he were to succeed.

My chance is going with Hendon Hooker. He’s been the best CFB QB over the past 2 seasons. The positive, might get him in RD2 or maybe even RD3 due to his injury…..which isn’t career threatening. His injury will require time to heal which could make him available before seasons end at the earliest or at the onset of the 2024 season at the latest.

This move could set the Texans up to make 2 picks in RD1 or maybe even 3 if they trade out of the 2 spot while still securing the best QB of the 2023 class.

Last edited:
There is a good chance he slides down the board a bit for that reason - especially if he comes in under 5'11" 195lbs.

I have seen him fall if the Texans didn't take him. However, a team is desperate for a QB and will take him in the 1st. Stroud, Levis or Williams. The last on we could likely get in a trade down situation or at 12.

For me Collins needs to step up & take over wide receiver 2 this season or i expect Metchie if healthy to take it. Collins was OK but I expected more and I blame that on our quarterbacks. With either Young or Stroud there is no excuse.

Rashee Rice or Hyatt can replace Cooks and if we indeed get a round 2 in trade, both. Add Metchie speed.. whooey.
Use that 12 elswhere.
What round are you taking Rashee Rice?
He’s pretty good.

I have a few ideas.

No. 2 -Stroud

Or BPA
No. 2 - Will Anderson Jr., Alabama OLB
No. 12 - Anthony Richardson, Florida QB

Or unexpected but D wins Championships
No. 2 - Jalen Carter, Georgia DL
No. 12 - Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech DE

And then the high reward with risk
No 2. - Trade down to #6 and aquire a 2nd round pick. Draft:
Will Levis, Kentucky QB

Levis could be Josh Allen 2.0. All the physical traits with the uninspiring numbers in college to back it up.

We could trade out of 2 or trade up from 12 to get him and get our edge rusher for the other pick.

The question becomes what other teams need a QB that have the personnel to make a deep playoff run now with a Carr, Garappolo, Geno Smith, or Lamar Jackson versus a taking a chance on Stroud or Young. Here is how I see it.

Teams in top 16 of the draft that need to win now and don’t want to start rookie QB process over:

Washington
Las Vegas
NY Jets
Seattle
New England
Green Bay

Teams willing to move up to take BY or Stroud at #1

Indy
Carolina
Maybe Seattle???

My prediction is Stroud and BY are gone by top 4 no matter how you slice it. So where does Levis get taken? I have questions about all 3 QBs but Levis is the one that intrigues me the most because a guy like Gannon can do wonders with him.

I’m on the Levis train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has become all too common since Nick Caserio arrived with many players who leave the Texans. This doesn't speak well for getting other players and HC prospects wanting to come to Houston. Houston is an NFL career killer. The window for a rebuild only last so long
This crap started well before N.C. got here.. you're becoming obsessed :mcnugget: You act like Brandon is the first. He is the biggest crybaby though.

Just because you keep telling yourself this does not make it so. I know you want it to be but the truth is Caserio has pretty much had his way to do what he wanted to do right up until Cal hired Lovie. If Caserio hadn't screwed up the 2nd HC hire Cal would not have gotten involved.

Early draft chatter is there are several teams ready to make a deal with Chicago to move up for a QB and the Colts are at the front of the line.
...is just that - chatter.
This happens every year in every draft.
It's just strategizing and gamesmanship.
And who gives a rats anyway?
Texans coaches and players did what they are paid to do and their instincts dictate and that's win games - and they still have the #2 and #12 pick in this draft.
NC may yet get the QB of his choice and/or snag a nice haul of draft picks.
Either way I'm not panicking or crossing bridges until I come to them.
Geez us 🤷

I had no idea Stroud was being represented by same agent as DeShaun. His NIL offer to stay is rumored to be more than a million.

I’m wondering if he’s considering this to avoid being drafted by the Texans.

Levis could be Josh Allen 2.0. All the physical traits with the uninspiring numbers in college to back it up.

We could trade out of 2 or trade up from 12 to get him and get our edge rusher for the other pick.

The question becomes what other teams need a QB that have the personnel to make a deep playoff run now with a Carr, Garappolo, Geno Smith, or Lamar Jackson versus a taking a chance on Stroud or Young. Here is how I see it.

Teams in top 16 of the draft that need to win now and don’t want to start rookie QB process over:

Washington
Las Vegas
NY Jets
Seattle
New England
Green Bay

Teams willing to move up to take BY or Stroud at #1

Indy
Carolina
Maybe Seattle???

My prediction is Stroud and BY are gone by top 4 no matter how you slice it. So where does Levis get taken? I have questions about all 3 QBs but Levis is the one that intrigues me the most because a guy like Gannon can do wonders with him.

I’m on the Levis train.

Stroud will go early and someone will reach on Young. Levis, do to scouting reports should be able to be taken in the 5-10 range. Only because say 3-4 QBs look to be very good. Stroud, Young, Levis and after that 3 it's not cut and dry who 4 is maybe Williams.

I had no idea Stroud was being represented by same agent as DeShaun. His NIL offer to stay is rumored to be more than a million.

I’m wondering if he’s considering this to avoid being drafted by the Texans.

I really hope this is not the case. Houston was rumored to really like Stroud. And if he can get his agent to act civil and doesn't listen to everything he says...could be extremely good here. Time will tell

Levis could be Josh Allen 2.0. All the physical traits
Levis has outstanding tools, but not Josh Allen tools. Allen had one of the greatest set of tools (Size, speed, arm strength) to ever enter the NFL. Elway, Newton, Vick...maybe Terry Bradshaw back in the day. I would put Levis tools on the David Carr level. Actually, Carr is a pretty good comp for Levis, now that I think about it. And Carr did go #1 overall.

Back