Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I don't use that slang, but sure, why not. All "franchise quarterbacks" are unicorns, because finding one is so rare. But in-so-far as you are referring to his size, I pay more attention to his football skills and how well he can play a WCO.
A unicorn isn't slang

Nobody his size has ever won a championship.

It would be so Texans to think they're smarter than everybody else in NFL history.

Oh I agree that he has inhuman strength and his speed at his size is freakish. I just know how good Reggie White was and I can't put his name with anyone unless they have at the very least played a few seasons. JJ and Donald are more recent, and likely more have seen them play. So to say the way JJ just shrugged off an OT on the way to a sack fits in better to me. Not saying you're incorrect, just Reggie was in a separate class from basically almost any pass rusher...that I ever saw at least. Was he better than JJ, that is a debate for people on a pay grade much higher than ours.
I think Reggie White was the better player than JJ Watt, mainly because he was dominant for longer. I think Watt's peak was on par with White's, but it only lasted 4 or 5 years. Reggie White basically played at peak Watt levels for over a decade.

I really think that Stroud would be the way to go fellas. If you actually watch that Ohio State vs Georgia game again. You can see that he was obviously not the reason they lost that game. C.J played his heart out and he is a competitor. I think everyone on Houstons staff will regret not picking him when he ends up blowing up for either Indy or Seattle. The fact that y'all are actually considering taking Levis is actually horrible. Bro reminds me of Davis Mills and he will take us in the wrong direction. Bryce Young reminds me of Kyler. HE IS SHORT AND MOIBLE. The only think this guy can do is throw short and scramble. I really do like Bryce but I dont think he would lead us into the future that we all want. Stroud has everything Levis and Young have. DRAFT STROUD HOUSTON. PLEASE CASERIO!!!!!!!!!

Stroud or Levis thanks I'll take either

Watch the 2022 Rose Bowl. Stroud put on a clinic.

For reference, I'm one of the people who was extremely impressed with Stroud vs Georgia.
But that's literally the only game I've watched him in.
Then I saw his stats under pressure which don't correlate in any way to what I saw in that game.
Honesty I like pretty much everything about him except the disparity between under pressure vs not.

I know you disagree, but I'd be happier with Stroud over Young despite those stats

For reference, I'm one of the people who was extremely impressed with Stroud vs Georgia.
But that's literally the only game I've watched him in.
Then I saw his stats under pressure which don't correlate in any way to what I saw in that game.
Honesty I like pretty much everything about him except the disparity between under pressure vs not.

I know you disagree, but I'd be happier with Stroud over Young despite those stats
I donno. Stroud's pressure stats scare me - they are pretty bad and volatile. On the train of not going QB with #2 overall and either trading down or picking Carter, who could be our Quinnen Williams for the next decade. Wish their was a more surefire QB talent this year that I could feel confident would translate to the NFL game.

I donno. Stroud's pressure stats scare me - they are pretty bad and volatile. On the train of not going QB with #2 overall and either trading down or picking Carter, who could be our Quinnen Williams for the next decade. Wish their was a more surefire QB talent this year that I could feel confident would translate to the NFL game.

I think I'm leaning towards Carter as well. But between the QBs, Stroud would be my pick

I think it's telling that every person who is touting Stroud as the best pick references a single game in his career

I'm a Michigan fan, born 20 miles from Ann Arbor. So, I tend to watch the Big 10. I don't like Ohio State but, Stroud has played well in pretty much every single game I have seen. He wasn't even horrible in the loss to Michigan. The kid has poise, moxie and can no question shake off bad plays. Not to mention strong arm, touch, can read a D, actually read his progressions, mobile enough to get away from pressure, not easy to bring down and can make every throw. That's just for starters. The reason for bringing up the 1 game is it basically is showing the way he can put everything together and it's the most recent. That way nobody can say but that was last year or something

I think that saying is more applicable to a player trying to keep his job vs trying to prove he's worthy of winning a job.
But as I said, we'll all have to weigh that one game against his previous games according to our own weighting system.
I was down on Stroud, but against Georgia it looked like the coaches gave him the ok to ball out. I sense that he was coached to not run or make so many off schedule plays, and they knew against Georgia they had to let him go. Could be he had a great day, I watched his horrible performances, so now I am leaning to coaching. So the kid has more tools then we had seen, and they let him make off script plays which is needed in today's NFL

Why do you think this?
Because of the terminology used describing what they want with the Texans' draft picks. Such as gunslinger, or qb's gaining a hundred yds a game, or wr's who have the speed for a vertical passing game, or power run plays. Maybe it's just me. I'd like to see potential draft picks discussed as a fit for the WCO. This may not be an easy change for the Texans and will definately require players who fit the system. My latest thought this morning is how well will Green fit our new west coast zone blocking offensive line? It's going to be easier for DeMeco to put in place his defense. But how long is it going to take to transition offensively?

Because of the terminology used describing what they want with the Texans' draft picks. Such as gunslinger, or qb's gaining a hundred yds a game, or wr's who have the speed for a vertical passing game, or power run plays. Maybe it's just me. I'd like to see potential draft picks discussed as a fit for the WCO. This may not be an easy change for the Texans and will definately require players who fit the system. My latest thought this morning is how well will Green fit our new west coast zone blocking offensive line? It's going to be easier for DeMeco to put in place his defense. But how long is it going to take to transition offensively?

I'd think Metchie would fit the WCO profile as well as anyone on the roster. Cooks, if he stays should be a good fit, I think.

I’m slowly putting this puzzle together in my mind provided Demeco Ryans is indeed the Texans new HC.

If this happens, I’d like to give Demeco the pieces on defense as quickly as possible so he can get them on the 49’ers track of success.

I think there’s enough picks in the books to address the offensive trench and skill positions. I’d also add Jimmy Garoppolo as my veteran QB b/c I suspect Demeco will hire an OC that can run a similar offense to Kyle Shanahan.

I’d like add Hooker outside of RD1 b/c we could and wouldn’t really need him in 2023 b/c Jimmy G and Mills would be on the sideline. This would keep RD1 open for the defensive players I’d like to target. Let me get out of RD1-02 by trading back….if it gains me another RD1 in the process, then I’d really like to add DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), DT- Siaka Ika (Baylor), and SS- JL Skinner (Boise State). The only other defensive player I’d like to land in the 2023 draft…..ILB- Jack Campbell (Iowa). I believe these 4 players and Ryans could really make this defense special next season.

As for offense, the team should have 7+ picks to focus on that side of the ball. If the picks are right, could make them competitive enough to be out of the running for a QB in 2024.
I have considered this same scenario, as well. I even agree with the defensive players you mentioned (I would even be OK with another front 7 pick). The rest of the picks could be used on WR, IOL, TE & RB.

My only issue with Hooker is his injury and he probably wouldn't be of use until 2024 when he would be 26 before even starting a game. However, under such a scenario the rest of the team should be much better by then and Hooker would have a lot of clipboard learning time under his belt.

I haven't completed evaluating the QB's yet ....

Hooker would easily be my top QB had he not suffered that season ending injury. He put up W's against the best teams in the NCAA beating Alabama, LSU & Florida. Is there a QB in the NCAA with a better resume of W's than that?

Word is that he will be ready to go for training camp. He's already off crutches and working with Steve Calhoun & Jordan Palmer.

There are speed WR's in a WCO, you dont think AJ wasn't fast, of the Chiefs dont have fast WR's, Aiyuk is plenty fast. Green will be fine and they need to find a center. You should look at Schmitz work on the 2nd level. Cann may not be a good fit and depth is needed on the OL. The WR's fit the scheme. We dont know how Pierce is going to fit in as a ZBS RB. They need to get a cheap vet and draft a RB to fill out the RB room. No more Burkhead.

What the really good WCO offenses all have is a dominate TE that can be a factor in the pass game and as a blocker in the run game. That's why I hope Musgrave falls to 2-33 and Ryans picks him.

I think Green will be a great fit. He is pretty athletic. He needs to build strength if we run last years scheme.

This is the proper reason not to take a QB or to trade down in 2023. The AFC is stacked with plus young QBs. Even if you draft an excellent QB (whatever year) that dude is going to need a pretty complete team to overcome Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen with Herbert, Jackson, and Lawerence. Tua and Watson can at least fake QB excellence. All those dudes are under 30.

The goal should be to build a complete team that is not dependant on QB greatness, because the Texans might not be able out QB that murder's row of QBing anyway.

Now whether you take just a "good" QB in 2023 or try to go with so-called "excellence" at some future point, is for the Texans and the internet GMs to figure out.
all comments about QB rating on 2023 is individual opinion and that is why we can keep saying same things. I and others think both Stroud and Young can become QBs comparable to Burrow, Mahomes, etc with solid teammates supporting them and no reason that cannot be done. The goal is to put the best player at each position not just hope for next draft to maybe find said player.

Some can say "Young never going to make it!" 10,000 times and some one can say opposite.

RB is truly deep but drop off after Robinson. I also have Zach Charbonnet in round 3. 6'1" 4.41 projected . 1359 yards @ 7 with 14 TDs and can catch.
Love this guy.

Add Schmitz/Musgrave and this guy if you want to improve the run game. Get Dell in rd 3 along with Charbonnet and your offense will be much better next yr. Regardless of whether Ryans drafts a QB or he adds one in FA.

Fix the holes on defense in FA.

Or you could sign Bradbury in FA and draft the 2 best defensive guys in rd 1. Then fill the rest of the holes with guys like Givens/Ekuban/Ward etc...

all comments about QB rating on 2023 is individual opinion and that is why we can keep saying same things. I and others think both Stroud and Young can become QBs comparable to Burrow, Mahomes, etc with solid teammates supporting them and no reason that cannot be done. The goal is to put the best player at each position not just hope for next draft to maybe find said player.

Some can say "Young never going to make it!" 10,000 times and some one can say opposite.

Some ask the questions of, how many QB's Young's size have ever won a SB. That's not meant to demean your position. Just asking what makes you think he's different than every other QB in NFL history.

Love this guy.

Add Schmitz/Musgrave and this guy if you want to improve the run game. Get Dell in rd 3 along with Charbonnet and your offense will be much better next yr. Regardless of whether Ryans drafts a QB or he adds one in FA.

Fix the holes on defense in FA.

Or you could sign Bradbury in FA and draft the 2 best defensive guys in rd 1. Then fill the rest of the holes with guys like Givens/Ekuban/Ward etc...

What do you think about Tyjae Spears from Tulane?

Some ask the questions of, how many QB's Young's size have ever won a SB. That's not meant to demean your position. Just asking what makes you think he's different than every other QB in NFL history.
saying Young is a midget 1,000 times is over kill. Most know he is short. He doesn't have to be better than anyone in history just be able to succeed in NFL. No one knows. If you don't think so, we all get that. Repetition doesn't make anything fact and neither does history. Each should choose odds they are comfortable with.

Funny thing is, if Mills had gone to a better team with better coaching and won 8-9 games, people would be saying why didn't NC pull the trigger on him when he had the chance.
well yeah if had happened but it didn't and we could just as easily have said "Look Mills busted with his new team. Man aren't we lucky we didn't get him round three."

And if his measurements come in at 6'0 195 ibs?

I'm not so much concerned with his measurements as I am the fact that he wasn't ever asked to process information / make reads quickly.
He and Stroud both had HOGS in front of them - two of the best OL's in the country, it wasn't often they were pressured at all much less early.
What they showed was that they can "make all the throws" ....

I watched some tape of Richardson (Florida) and was reminded an awful lot of Watson. Great athlete, not so great in making reads.

I'm not so much concerned with his measurements as I am the fact that he wasn't ever asked to process information / make reads quickly.
He and Stroud both had HOGS in front of them - two of the best OL's in the country, it wasn't often they were pressured at all much less early.

I watched some tape of Richardson (Florida) and was reminded an awful lot of Watson. Great athlete, not so great in making reads.
Suggest you look at Alabama oline again. LT Steen 6th rounder at best, OC Dalcourt may not be selected as UDFA; RG Okiyer the best projected mid round 4. Kendall Randolph returned to school as 6th year player who would not be drafted 2022; JC Lathum RT was ranked 5th best tackle in SEC.

This was an average offensive line at best.

2022 Alabama did not have a great OL or great WR's. Young had a good OG and a good RB and that's about it

saying Young is a midget 1,000 times is over kill. Most know he is short. He doesn't have to be better than anyone in history just be able to succeed in NFL. No one knows. If you don't think so, we all get that. Repetition doesn't make anything fact and neither does history. Each should choose odds they are comfortable with.
I didn't say he was a midget in that post and tried to be respectful of your opinion. Then you make this post when I asked for your opinion of what makes Young different than every other QB in NFL history and you post this. SMH

Not sure if its been posted but supposedly the bears have decided to stick with Fields and arent interested in the defensive guys available there...so they have engaged teams on trading the pick.

According to senior NFL reporter Albert Breer, the Bears will NOT be trading Justin Fields and will instead be looking to trade the #1 overall pick.

The #Bears have decided to go ahead with Justin Fields as the franchise QB and will try to trade the 1st overall pick in the draft instead of drafting a quarterback prospect, according to @AlbertBreer
Fields impressed the Bears organization on how he handled the 2022 season pic.twitter.com/aliCw3F8xV
— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) February 1, 2023

Last edited:
Suggest you look at Alabama oline again. LT Steen 6th rounder at best, OC Dalcourt may not be selected as UDFA; RG Okiyer the best projected mid round 4. Kendall Randolph returned to school as 6th year player who would not be drafted 2022; JC Lathum RT was ranked 5th best tackle in SEC.

This was an average offensive line at best.
Yet they were able to put up over 30 pts per game consistenly in BOB's crappy offense. I'm beginning to think Young walks on water and parts seas while wearing cleats.

Not sure if its been posted but supposedly the bears have decided to stick with Fields and arent interested in the defensive guys available there...so they have engaged teams on trading the pick.
Good...Maybe Indy will trade up and take Tiny Tim. Oh, and hire either Jeff Saturday or Eric Bieniemy as their new HC. I think the only game Bieniemy actually called plays for this season was the game against the Texans, and the Texans almost won.

I really think that Stroud would be the way to go fellas. If you actually watch that Ohio State vs Georgia game again. You can see that he was obviously not the reason they lost that game. C.J played his heart out and he is a competitor. I think everyone on Houstons staff will regret not picking him when he ends up blowing up for either Indy or Seattle. The fact that y'all are actually considering taking Levis is actually horrible. Bro reminds me of Davis Mills and he will take us in the wrong direction. Bryce Young reminds me of Kyler. HE IS SHORT AND MOIBLE. The only think this guy can do is throw short and scramble. I really do like Bryce but I dont think he would lead us into the future that we all want. Stroud has everything Levis and Young have. DRAFT STROUD HOUSTON. PLEASE CASERIO!!!!!!!!!

I'll pass, thanks. He's terribad when pressured which wasn't all that often in college but in the NFL that pressure is pretty much every down.

Give me Carter @ 2.

I'll take Hooker in the 3rd and call it a day.

Good...Maybe Indy will trade up and take Tiny Tim. Oh, and hire either Jeff Saturday or Eric Bieniemy as their new HC. I think the only game Bieniemy actually called plays for this season was the game against the Texans, and the Texans almost won.
Actually hope Indy trades up to #1 and takes Stroud. Boom/bust type of QB. Either he'll learn how to play better under pressure and operate as a good pocket passer, or he'll buckle under NFL pressure and set Indy back 3 years. Betting the latter due to his college history, but also a decent chance he can become a Goff-type player. I think Young's floor is higher, but good chance of being a mid-Murray type guy and/or hurt.

well yeah if had happened but it didn't and we could just as easily have said "Look Mills busted with his new team. Man aren't we lucky we didn't get him round three."
I have no problem with taking a shot on a former 4 star recruit. Unfortunately, he didn't walk into a favourable spot, but we do have a backup in him.

Actually hope Indy trades up to #1 and takes Stroud. Boom/bust type of QB. Either he'll learn how to play better under pressure and operate as a good pocket passer, or he'll buckle under NFL pressure and set Indy back 3 years. Betting the latter due to his college history, but also a decent chance he can become a Goff-type player. I think Young's floor is higher, but good chance of being a mid-Murray type guy and/or hurt.
I think Stroud has a better chance of having a decent career. I think Young would get killed in Indy, and ultimately be out of the NFL by the end of his rookie contract if not before.

Back