Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Didn't you enjoy the Kubiak teams prior to 2010? And again in 2011/2012?

The Monday night game when VY and the Titans beat the Texans because Kris Brown missed a FG let me know what the future held. That game meant far more to the fans than it did to management.

I didn't particularly enjoy the letterman's jacket team. I said they were paper tigers back at that time. I did think that yr Kubiak did his best job of coaching while he was down on Kirby.

I already have, a couple of months ago I decided not to invest financially or emotionally in this team and instead I'm just going to tell people what I think. This is going to make some posters choke on their kool-aid.

The McNair's only care about buts in the seats, why should I care about their team?
A couple of months ago? I’m sorry, how’s this stance any different from the last 6 years? Lol.

A couple of months ago? I’m sorry, how’s this stance any different from the last 6 years? Lol.

About 40 grand worth of difference if I had taken this stance 6 yrs ago. I'm really just kicking myself for being duped. But I'm duped no more.

Please tell me that the few here "who shall not be named" are not going to watch Texans games rooting for failure JUST so they can post on a MB "see, told ya so". That has got be the WORST exsistence. I just can't wrap my head around it. I have so much going on in my life.....and I'm only 53 so you old farts can say what you will but I got no time for that.
Oh you don’t have to wait. You can go back to when Bob McNair hired O’Brien and I said that was terrible hire and would set Texans back a decade or more recently when I told you Davis Mills was a wasted draft pick.

Because I see them topping out like the RS/Kubiak teams did. The McNair's settled for a good QB at 1-2 to get fans back in the seats.

That’s the difference in opinion.

Demeco and Caserio believe they win with Stroud.

You don’t, but San Fran has done it with Purdy and Garapolo.

You also believe that directive to draft Stroud came from McNair.

We will have to wait and see if that is true.

But so far it isn’t.

Oh you don’t have to wait. You can go back to when Bob McNair hired O’Brien and I said that was terrible hire and would set Texans back a decade or more recently when I told you Davis Mills was a wasted draft pick.
There's more to life than being proved right in a sports message board.
Perhaps you need to find another hobby.

That’s the difference in opinion.

Demeco and Caserio believe they win with Stroud.

You don’t, but San Fran has done it with Purdy and Garapolo.

You also believe that directive to draft Stroud came from McNair.

We will have to wait and see if that is true.

But so far it isn’t.

What have the 49ers won and you know how much I think of Jimmy G.

Totally agree with you about the Cal directive and that's the bigger issue.

There's more to life than being proved right in a sports message board.
Perhaps you need to find another hobby.
This isn't about being proven right. This is about ownership repeating history, all in the name of putting butts in the seats.

This isn't about being proven right. This is about ownership repeating history, all in the name of putting butts in the seats.
It is a business first, and as a business the owner needs it to be successful if he wants it to keep being a business.
This being the case, we saw evidence that the owners want that as evidenced by this particular off season.
We may critcize all we want but in the end, the owners know better than us lesser mortals.

Basically it is. Now you’re on here talking about how Mills didn’t get a fair shot. When his play on the field speaks for itself. He was that freaking bad and if he truly wanted this job, he would’ve went out there guns blazing showing them. I am the freaking man. It’s amazing to me on how you thrash certain players for not going through their progression, the accuracy issues and etc. But want to sit up here and turn a blind’s eye to the way Mills performed out there. The young man got benched twice for crying out loud. Go look at the tapes man better yet someone please drop the All-22 for this man.

It is a business first, and as a business the owner needs it to be successful if he wants it to keep being a business.
This being the case, we saw evidence that the owners want that as evidenced by this particular off season.
We may critcize all we want but in the end, the owners know better than us lesser mortals.
I'm not sure how drafting a terrible QB (I'm not saying he is, I am saying what if he is) is conducive to getting butts in the seats.

I'm not sure how drafting a terrible QB (I'm not saying he is, I am saying what if he is) is conducive to getting butts in the seats.
They had their scouts do their homework and made a business decision they think is in the best interests of this franchise.
They took a swing at one of the consensus top two QB's in this draft rather than waiting another year so I am not about to criticize.
If Stroud is top ten, he is going to put egg on a lot of detractors faces.

Please tell me that the few here "who shall not be named" are not going to watch Texans games rooting for failure JUST so they can post on a MB "see, told ya so". That has got be the WORST exsistence. I just can't wrap my head around it. I have so much going on in my life.....and I'm only 53 so you old farts can say what you will but I got no time for that.

This old fart has never rooted for failure, never said told you so. Just so everyone knows.

You're only 53? Guess it was just a kid's opinion of us old folks.. :D

Come back in 31 years and tell me what you think. With my luck I'll still be here.:smiliepalm:

You have a lot going on? My daughter and two of her daughters and their four kids live with me.

Never a dull moment at the coffee household. All those females, rough on the septic system. $

Did I mention that you are one of my favorite posters? :tiphat:

:coffee:

Last edited:
But the cap doesn't go up right? And that rookie salary counts against the total 51?
When a player is drafted, their cap hit immediately counts toward the salary cap. Space-clearing doesn’t need to happen immediately, though — only the 51 top-paid players will initially count against the cap, and every contract is initially set at $750,000 for all rookies. That will change when those rookies actually sign their deals, of course, so something will eventually be done.Link

They had their scouts do their homework and made a business decision they think is in the best interests of this franchise.
They took a swing at one of the consensus top two QB's in this draft rather than waiting another year so I am not about to criticize.
If Stroud is top ten, he is going to put egg on a lot of detractors faces.
I wasn't saying Stroud will suck. I'm saying some people say Stroud will suck on one hand and on the other said he was drafted to get butts in the seats. I am trying to reconcile those 2 things. If he sucks how will that get butts in the seats?

This wont be me.

But there are no excuses. Mills treatment

Davis Mills SUCKED last season. He was flat-out AWFUL. The last game of the season...the game the Texans needed him to suck in...was his best game. He got more than a fair shot. He just SUCKED.

Imagine if Mills was actually good and the Texans could have did the same moves for 2 and 3. They could have drafted Will Anderson AND Jalen Carter. Imagine that D-line. But Mills SUCKED...so...

Davis Mills SUCKED last season. He was flat-out AWFUL. The last game of the season...the game the Texans needed him to suck in...was his best game. He got more than a fair shot. He just SUCKED.

Imagine if Mills was actually good and the Texans could have did the same moves for 2 and 3. They could have drafted Will Anderson AND Jalen Carter. Imagine that D-line. But Mills SUCKED...so...
Ever taken into account what may have contributed his suckage? Nah no need to actually think.

Interesting. So Stroud wanted Dell and the Texans delivered.

Love it. Calling for his weapons just like a franchise QB should. And say what you will about Caserio, but whenever someone in the building covets a certain prospect he’ll do whatever it takes to get them!

Let’s not read into it too much. And I say that so people don’t think Stroud and Mulugheta are already controlling the Texans.

Tank was asking the Texans to draft him directly from his Instagram account. He made it no secret where he wanted to go. He was very persistent.

Something interesting happened to me in this thread. I got my first two-dislike post - compliments of Porky and the Penguin. Sounds like a duo of whacky cartoon characters. What kind of shenanigans will Porky and the Penguin be up to this week?

Penguin dislikes everyone, it's sort of a badge of honor to earn a dislike from Penguin. Da Porkster was probably just drunk at the time and doesn't even remember.

Basically it is. Now you’re on here talking about how Mills didn’t get a fair shot. When his play on the field speaks for itself. He was that freaking bad and if he truly wanted this job, he would’ve went out there guns blazing showing them. I am the freaking man. It’s amazing to me on how you thrash certain players for not going through their progression, the accuracy issues and etc. But want to sit up here and turn a blind’s eye to the way Mills performed out there. The young man got benched twice for crying out loud. Go look at the tapes man better yet someone please drop the All-22 for this man.
LMAO. Here's a fun fact. Davis Mills has started 26 games and has thrown 33 TDs and 25 INTs. For comparison, Derrick only played 6 games his rookie year and after week four of his 3rd season played 30 games and thrown 54 TDs and 18 INTs. It was after the Carolina game where Watson took six sacks and had thrown for less than 150 yard in two of the first four games in the 2019 season, he decided that Derrick was not going to be a championship QB.

So, basically at the same point in their careers, guess which QB he prefers and wants to give more time? PSA. There isn't any logic to the QB rabbit hole.

LMAO. Here's a fun fact. Davis Mills has started 26 games and has thrown 33 TDs and 25 INTs. For comparison, Derrick only played 6 games his rookie year and after week four of his 3rd season played 30 games and thrown 54 TDs and 18 INTs. It was after the Carolina game where Watson took six sacks and had thrown for less than 150 yard in two of the first four games in the 2019 season, he decided that Derrick was not going to be a championship QB.

So, basically at the same point in their careers, guess which QB he prefers and wants to give more time? PSA. There isn't any logic to the QB rabbit hole.
I remember reading something a while back. Like David Carr throwing for 500 yards or something insane like that in a game they (Fresno) lost.

I had doubts about him ever since. There’s knowing how to play the game, then there’s knowing how to play the game.

Sometimes you just know. Can’t put your finger on it, so you say the 1st thing that comes to mind. But you know

Ever taken into account what may have contributed his suckage? Nah no need to actually think.

Yeah same old tired arse rhetoric. Let’s never look at reality and just go with whatever jumps out of the ol’ fingertips.

Limited starts at Stanford due to C-19 and drafted as a RD3 developmental QB. 1.5 games into his first season, they throw him to the wolves with what would easily be considered the worst scheme and OC in the NFL….not to mention, the lack of overall offensive talent.

Season 2 was supposed to be a coming out party for Mills, instead he was strapped with an even worse situation. HC and OC were hail bent on running the ball and executing a very conservative passing attack. Worse yet, his WR1 quit, WR2 got injured, and TE’s were only blips on the screen. A lot of those 17 TD tosses showed the potential. The 15 INT’s showed the inconsistency, and the overthrows showed the lack of trust in his OL.

Caserio drafted Stroud and I’m a-okay with the pick. Mills is still with the team and will finally get his development time with an overall better organization and much improved talent. Nothing would be better than having both Stroud and Mills exceeding in Slowick’s offense to the point that Keenum becomes QB3 and mentor to the young QB’s.

Let camp and football begin!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah same old tired arse rhetoric. Let’s never look at reality and just go with whatever jumps out of the ol’ fingertips.

Limited starts at Stanford due to C-19 and drafted as a RD3 developmental QB. 1.5 games into his first season, they throw him to the wolves with what would easily be considered the worst scheme and OC….not to mention, the lack of overall offensive talent.

Season 2 was supposed to be a coming out party for Mills, instead he was strapped with an even worse situation. HC and OC were hail bent on running the ball and executing a very conservative passing attack. Worse yet, his WR1 quit, WR2 got injured, and TE’s were only blips on the screen. A lot of those 17 TD tosses showed the potential. The 15 INT’s showed the inconsistency, and the overthrows showed the lack of trust in his OL.

Caserio drafted Stroud and I’m a-okay with the pick. Mills is still with the team and will finally get his development time with an overall better organization and much improved talent. Nothing would be better than having both Stroud and Mills exceeding in Slowick’s offense to the point that Keenum becomes QB3 and mentor to the young QB’s.

Let camp and football begin!!!!

Agreed. Mills will stick around in the league beyond his rookie contract. Especially if he proves to be a valuable asset in the meeting rooms. Look how long Matt Schaub stuck around when he could no longer throw the ball. Or Chase Daniel, possibly the most highly paid player in NFL history relative to number of snaps actually taken.

Latest On Cards’ Trades With Texans, Titans
May 3rd, 2023 at 5:35pm CST by Sam Robinson

A key party in a few teams’ early-round draft machinations, the Cardinals played a particularly important role in what could be long-term AFC South roster construction. They made deals with both the Texans and Titans, equipping each with potential 2020s pillars.

Both teams discussed prospective trades with the Cardinals before the draft. The Titans did not have to give up what it would have cost to move from No. 11 to No. 3 — a climb Tennessee was continually connected to attempting — but they had C.J. Stroud in mind. The new Texans quarterback was the Titans’ target at No. 3, with Albert Breer of SI.com confirming the team dropped out of trade talks after Houston took the Ohio State passer at 2.

The Titans were viewed as high on Stroud, and with the Texans believed to be planning to take a momentous risk — tabling their quarterback need yet again to select an edge rusher — it looked like Tennessee could have a clear path to trading up for its preferred passer. But Nick Caserio confirmed (via NBC Sports’ Peter King) his team had decided on Stroud at No. 2. That decision ran counter to just about every Texans-centric report leading up to the draft. Though, reports of Houston’s defensive end intent were not entirely inaccurate, given how the team proceeded at No. 3.

Although Caserio taking Stroud at No. 2 removed a buyer for 3 in the Titans, the Texans still traded a monster haul to land the Cardinals’ No. 3 choice. Houston gave up No. 33, along with first- and third-round picks in 2024. The Texans held two 2024 firsts, thanks to the historic Deshaun Watson package, and Houston’s first — not Cleveland’s — now belongs to Arizona. The Texans’ lengthy rebuild process has involved top-three draft real estate in each of the past three drafts, running a risk the team gave a prime draft asset for a non-quarterback in Will Anderson Jr. Two of the three Browns first-rounders acquired in the Watson trade ended up going toward Anderson.

Caserio and former Patriots coworker Monti Ossenfort had engaged in pre-draft talks about a trade involving the Nos. 3 and 12 picks, Breer adds, and King confirms the Cards and Texans agreed to the swap with “close to a minute left” on the clock.
It helped that I had a personal relationship with Nick Caserio in Houston,” Ossenfort said during an appearance on the Dave Pasch Podcast (via AZCardinals.com). “… There was some back and forth there and the clock’s going, the clock’s going, and I think it was around two-and-a-half minutes where we have a couple of [different] deals up written up on the board [with] a couple of teams and it’s ‘OK, Nick, I think we’re at a spot where we are close here. It’s this and this for this, this and this. Are you in?’ ‘Yeah, I’m in.’ And it’s ‘OK, great, call it in.'”

Ossenfort had planned on trading back up and called multiple teams in order to secure Paris Johnson draft real estate. After talks with fellow former coworker Dave Ziegler did not produce a deal with the Raiders, Ossenfort found a taker in the Lions, allowing them to avoid taking Jahmyr Gibbs at No. 6.

The Cardinals and Titans revisited their talks Friday, and GM Ran Carthon pivoted to the freefalling Will Levis. The Titans had discussed a deal to move back into Round 1, with Levis as the target, with Breer adding they discussed the move with the Bills — at No. 27 — late Thursday night. The Titans were one of many teams trying to move back into the first round, and teams also made offers to the Steelers for 32. The Titans may well have been one of those to send the Steelers a proposal for 32, but they ended up trading 2023 and 2024 third-rounders to climb eight spots to 33 for the Kentucky QB.

This draft brought some notable what-ifs regarding the non-Jaguars wing of the AFC South, seeing as the Colts were tied to Levis for weeks only to have been preparing an Anthony Richardson pick for a while. Should Stroud, Richardson and Levis become surefire starters, this will certainly go down as one of the most pivotal drafts in the AFC South’s 22-year history.

Latest On Cards’ Trades With Texans, Titans
May 3rd, 2023 at 5:35pm CST by Sam Robinson

A key party in a few teams’ early-round draft machinations, the Cardinals played a particularly important role in what could be long-term AFC South roster construction. They made deals with both the Texans and Titans, equipping each with potential 2020s pillars.

Both teams discussed prospective trades with the Cardinals before the draft. The Titans did not have to give up what it would have cost to move from No. 11 to No. 3 — a climb Tennessee was continually connected to attempting — but they had C.J. Stroud in mind. The new Texans quarterback was the Titans’ target at No. 3, with Albert Breer of SI.com confirming the team dropped out of trade talks after Houston took the Ohio State passer at 2.

The Titans were viewed as high on Stroud, and with the Texans believed to be planning to take a momentous risk — tabling their quarterback need yet again to select an edge rusher — it looked like Tennessee could have a clear path to trading up for its preferred passer. But Nick Caserio confirmed (via NBC Sports’ Peter King) his team had decided on Stroud at No. 2. That decision ran counter to just about every Texans-centric report leading up to the draft. Though, reports of Houston’s defensive end intent were not entirely inaccurate, given how the team proceeded at No. 3.

Although Caserio taking Stroud at No. 2 removed a buyer for 3 in the Titans, the Texans still traded a monster haul to land the Cardinals’ No. 3 choice. Houston gave up No. 33, along with first- and third-round picks in 2024. The Texans held two 2024 firsts, thanks to the historic Deshaun Watson package, and Houston’s first — not Cleveland’s — now belongs to Arizona. The Texans’ lengthy rebuild process has involved top-three draft real estate in each of the past three drafts, running a risk the team gave a prime draft asset for a non-quarterback in Will Anderson Jr. Two of the three Browns first-rounders acquired in the Watson trade ended up going toward Anderson.

Caserio and former Patriots coworker Monti Ossenfort had engaged in pre-draft talks about a trade involving the Nos. 3 and 12 picks, Breer adds, and King confirms the Cards and Texans agreed to the swap with “close to a minute left” on the clock.
It helped that I had a personal relationship with Nick Caserio in Houston,” Ossenfort said during an appearance on the Dave Pasch Podcast (via AZCardinals.com). “… There was some back and forth there and the clock’s going, the clock’s going, and I think it was around two-and-a-half minutes where we have a couple of [different] deals up written up on the board [with] a couple of teams and it’s ‘OK, Nick, I think we’re at a spot where we are close here. It’s this and this for this, this and this. Are you in?’ ‘Yeah, I’m in.’ And it’s ‘OK, great, call it in.'”

Ossenfort had planned on trading back up and called multiple teams in order to secure Paris Johnson draft real estate. After talks with fellow former coworker Dave Ziegler did not produce a deal with the Raiders, Ossenfort found a taker in the Lions, allowing them to avoid taking Jahmyr Gibbs at No. 6.

The Cardinals and Titans revisited their talks Friday, and GM Ran Carthon pivoted to the freefalling Will Levis. The Titans had discussed a deal to move back into Round 1, with Levis as the target, with Breer adding they discussed the move with the Bills — at No. 27 — late Thursday night. The Titans were one of many teams trying to move back into the first round, and teams also made offers to the Steelers for 32. The Titans may well have been one of those to send the Steelers a proposal for 32, but they ended up trading 2023 and 2024 third-rounders to climb eight spots to 33 for the Kentucky QB.

This draft brought some notable what-ifs regarding the non-Jaguars wing of the AFC South, seeing as the Colts were tied to Levis for weeks only to have been preparing an Anthony Richardson pick for a while. Should Stroud, Richardson and Levis become surefire starters, this will certainly go down as one of the most pivotal drafts in the AFC South’s 22-year history.
What 2 Cleveland Browns 1st round picks went towards Anderson? I thought it was just picked #12 in 2023. The other one is our own in 2024.

What 2 Cleveland Browns 1st round picks went towards Anderson? I thought it was just picked #12 in 2023. The other one is our own in 2024.
No. We chose to trade Browns' 2024 1st instead of our 2024 1st..........evidently banking on Watson et al would be worse in 2024 than the Texans.

[EDIT: THE ABOVE SHOULD HAVE READ:
WE CHOSE TO TRADE OUR 2024 1ST INSTEAD OF THE BROWNS' 2024 1ST.

Last edited:
Back