Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I deleted Twitter when Elon took over. I knew he'd turn it into a dumpster fire. Granted, I wasn't a heavy user.

Back to the topic. I'm really completely lost right now regarding who will be under center this year.

They cannot go to war with Case and Davis. That's not something you can sell to this fan base. They've got to have a feasible guy. If not a guy that is an instant starter, he's got to be in the garage getting tuned up.

I am wavering on CJ. That low S2, Mulegatta, and at least rumor of poor interviews. I dunno guys. I'll honestly go with the Texans on this. If they choose him, I've got faith that some of this is just smoke with no fire. If they pass or trade out of the pick, I'll say the proof is in the pudding.

I like Anderson - very clean prospect, but I agree with the not Von Miller assessment. I like him...don't love him. But I could get behind it.

Assuming Carolina takes Bryce, I'm in favor of either CJ or just trading out of the pick if you get a good offer.

I'd then use some draft capital to acquire Mac Jones or maybe Trey Lance. I'd prefer Jones.
Where did you get the low S2 score from?

Random draft thoughts:

1-just as Kubiak promised to improve Carr to get a job here, did slowik promise to fix Mills? "Mills has more talent then Purdy. Look what we pulled off. Our system can make any qb top half or better in the league..." And in a worst "case" scenario, there's Case ;) . Matt Ryan, Bridgwater, and Wentz are all still available.

2-Are the Texans gauging cj's value and tanking him because they don't want him with the #2 pick, they think he might still be there with the #12 pick?

Thanks. I'll hang up and listen...

Maybe. Trade back in 2023 and stockpile picks for next year. Allow the new coaching staff to see if Mills can operate in their new offense successfully in 2023. If he cannot, use said stockpiled picks and move up for Caleb Williams.

Sounds to me like it's playing out just how they've been planning all along. First, you let the media talk the fans into a frenzy over which QB they should take. Then, start dropping hints that if Young is gone, they'll take Anderson. Next, drop hints that the Assistant Coach of the Year/Texans head coach loves Anderson. Finally, announce that the #2 pick is up for grabs.

Hello Seattle.

Anderson is the most coveted player other than Young, & with Young conceivably off the market, Anderson becomes the hottest prospect. I believe Seattle has been the target all along. If the Texans were to trade down with one of the QB hungry teams, then Arizona will take Anderson at #3 (Thank you Carter for screwing the start of your career up).

The Texans need the additional high picks (late 2nd/early 3rd) more than they need the best single talent in the draft. Seattle could offer #5, #20 & #37 in exchange for #2. We might have to throw in a late round pick or two to get it done, but adding those two extra picks would go a long way towards adding quality starting players this year. Then next year, we could offer both 1st's & a future 1st round pick, plus whatever else it takes to get the QB they want. I want Anderson, but if he can help us get extra picks this year, that puts us ahead of the curve on the rebuild. Last year Caserio built the framing for the foundation. This year, he pours the foundation. Next year, he builds the house on the foundation. This team has the chance to build a perennial Super Bowl contender, rather than just a perennial wanna' be contender.

1-just as Kubiak promised to improve Carr to get a job here, did slowik promise to fix Mills?
Slowik doesn't even know who Mills is.
Awesome post ,and I agree. You just dont have to have one of THESE qbs if you don't like them.
You don't have to win, either. It would be nice for a change, though.
Allow the new coaching staff to see if Mills can operate in their new offense successfully in 2023.
OMG. Stop with the Mills stuff. Giving me a headache.

So, it is starting to sound like:
1. DeMeco wants to use the #2 pick on a defensive player, probably Will Anderson.
2. Caserio wants to trade the pick.
3. McNair could overrule both of them and pick a quarterback at #2, probably CJ Stroud

I don't know how anyone at this point can claim they know what the Texans will do with ANY level of confidence. The Texans are the biggest wildcard in this draft, IMHO. 30% they draft a quarterback, 20% chance they trade back, 30% chance they draft Will Anderson, 20% chance they keep the pick and draft someone else is the way I see it.

This seems about right to me.

I think they're either looking to ensure Young falls to 2, someone falls in love with Stroud, or whether they wanna "have the balls" to not take a QB. Well see.

The Texans needed a CB last year, they take Stingley over the much better Gardner. The Texans need a quarterback so naturally they select Levis over BY or CJ Stroud.

I don't really think the Texans will draft Levis at #2 but I wouldn't put it past them. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if they take Wilson over Anderson.

The Texans needed a CB last year, they take Stingley over the much better Gardner. The Texans need a quarterback so naturally they select Levis over BY or CJ Stroud.

I don't really think the Texans will draft Levis at #2 but I wouldn't put it past them. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if they take Wilson over Anderson.

I am starting to miss Rick Smith, who actually had a feel for the first round.

IMO, the Stingley pick was all Lovie Smith pounding the table for "his" guy.
With Caserio's comments last week, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded out of the 1.2 pick.

IMO, the Stingley pick was all Lovie Smith pounding the table for "his" guy.
With Caserio's comments last week, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded out of the 1.2 pick.
Caserio presser right after RD1, he said coaches were going back and forth right up until the pick on which player to take. Nick said he thought Lovie would have been fine with either choice.

Looks like Doc and a number of others will likely get their way and won't have to deal with Tiny Tim tearing up defenses here. He'll ball out in Carolina.

Apparently, they don't like CJ enough to take him at two. We'll likely continue to be in QB purgatory unless we pull of a trade for Mac Jones, or get lucky elsewhere in the draft.

I don't think Lucky has declared yet.

:coffee:

For Levis to all the sudden be the odds on betting favorite to be taken #2 overall, I'm afraid someone from the Texans organization leaked information that they really like Levis, and it's not a smokescreen. Afterall, the rumors were hot right before the draft last year that the Texans were going to draft Stingley if they couldn't move back.
Great point

If there is any truth to us having Levis rated higher then Stroud then I’d guess we are not going QB at two and probably contemplating taking a QB at 12. That could actually be a pretty good outcome for us.

One proposed trade scenario involved the Texans potentially sending the second overall pick and the No. 12 selection to the Bears in exchange for the top overall pick.

Another proposal exchanged was the Texans possibly sending a 2024 first-round pick to the Bears for the pick, according to league sources. The conversations eventually stalled out over a disconnect over trade values as the Bears moved on, with a hefty blockbuster trade that netted the Carolina Panthers’ ninth pick, a 2024 first-round pick and wide receiver D.J. Moore.

All of that prologue leads the Texans to where they are now, exploring potential trade-back scenarios involving the No. 2 overall pick.

Alabama quarterback Bryce Young was coveted by the Texans, but is now regarded as a virtual lock to be drafted by the Panthers, according to multiple league sources.

The Texans are not currently expected to draft Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud, who has also visited the AFC South franchise, according to sources, and Stroud could slide a bit within the top 10 picks of the first round. If the Texans stay at No. 2, they could wind up going for an edge rusher and have high opinions of Alabama star Will Anderson Jr., who’s regarded as one of the cleanest prospects in the draft in terms of skill, character and health, or Texas Tech defensive end Tyree Wilson, an intriguing player who’s coming off a foot injury.

The idea of moving back to stockpile even more draft capital is an attractive scenario. Among the trade-up candidates: the Las Vegas Raiders at No. 7 overall.

Should the Texans move back, they would still likely have the option of adding a quarterback. The Texans haven’t committed to necessarily drafting one, though.

They have thoroughly scouted all of the top quarterbacks, including Young, Stroud, visiting with Kentucky quarterback Will Levis and Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker and had a Zoom meeting with no visit or workout with Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson, according to sources.

They’ve done their homework on the quarterbacks, including University of Houston quarterback Clayton Tune who’s ranked as a middle-round draft target.

If you don't take a QB in the Top 3, you are pretty much admitting you are trying to tank in 2023. That would absolutely mean that Casserio gets fired. Could mean DeMeco gets fired, since the Texans purged their coaches two years in a row.

Big drop off from CJ and Young to Richardson, smaller drop off from AR15 to Levis and Hooker.
They won't fire Demeco after a year and not with a 6 year deal. No one would coach here if Demeco of all people got fired especially firing 2 coaches in a row back to back after a year

If there is any truth to us having Levis rated higher then Stroud then I’d guess we are not going QB at two and probably contemplating taking a QB at 12. That could actually be a pretty good outcome for us.
I didn't see where we have Levis higher. I saw where Levis as the 2nd overall pick is higher. Maybe Vegas is betting on a trade?

If you don't take a QB in the Top 3, you are pretty much admitting you are trying to tank in 2023. That would absolutely mean that Casserio gets fired. Could mean DeMeco gets fired, since the Texans purged their coaches two years in a row.

Big drop off from CJ and Young to Richardson, smaller drop off from AR15 to Levis and Hooker.
Or it could mean that DeMeco and Slowik think that outside of Young no QB is worth the 2nd pic.

Caserio presser right after RD1, he said coaches were going back and forth right up until the pick on which player to take. Nick said he thought Lovie would have been fine with either choice.

Exactly why people shouldn’t associate the Stingley pick with Caserio. It was Lovie’s pick. And Green may have been his OL coach’s pick.

I am not a fan of the Mechie trade. That’s on Caserio.

But after that the draft was pretty good.

It’s not my job to evaluate QBs. I’m just a guy on a couch with a bag of chips & a bottle of cheap whiskey.

But Levis is the only guy in this draft that projects to a successful non-gimmicky NFL career.

The NFL is all about gimmicks now, so yeah, BY will probably have a spectacular career.

But I’m not trying to be gimmicky. I’d be shocked if the Texans draft him ahead of Anderson, Wilson, Gonzales, Van Hess. But it would only be a year removed from the last time they shocked me with their 1st pick, which was only a year removed from the time before that.

I have a really hard time believing the negative rumors about Stroud (S2 score and difficult to coach)- nothing I have seen in games indicates the former, and nothing I have read indicates the latter. It sounds like a team is trying to get Stroud to drop. Or that another QBs agent is trying to get him to drop (and Levis is now all the sudden a favorite for the #2 slot, interesting).

I'd be very disappointed if Levis was the pick at 2, even if I respect the amateur bodybuilding work. At least with Richardson at that spot there is the wild, unprecedented physical ability to get excited/hopeful about. Levis... meh. Not as polished as a QB as Young/Stroud, not as athletically gifted as Richardson. I fail to see what makes him the pick there.

I actually can't think of which one I'd rather see less- Levis at 2, or Hooker at 12. Yikes.

Back