Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Schedule

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Another advantage for the Texans (beyond strength of schedule) is the consistent start time each week. They don’t have to deal with playing on a short week and they can be consistent in a routine which is even more important for a young team.

The toughest game we all probably agree on: on the road against the Bengals will come after the Bengals play the Bills on Sunday Night Football. And the week before that Bills game? They will have to play the 49ers. The most amazing stat imo last season was that teams were winless the week after playing the 49ers. Presumably because they were beat up playing such a physical game.

I write all that to say that the Bengals will likely not be at 100% when they play the Texans and there will likely be more examples of teams having to play on short weeks and/or coming off tough games when they stroll into that noon time slot the Texans will be very comfortable playing in this season.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I wouldn't put any money on the Texans being in the playoffs in 2023. If DeMeco is who we hope he is, maybe 2024 we might sneak in as a wild card. I really think between 6 and 8 wins this season is more reasonable.

You guys gotta remember, we're still rebuilding. The rookies (QB, HC, OC) are all learning their new jobs.

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
I am expecting the Texans to be average to a little bit better then that this year.

We upgraded the DL, LB, S group with major upgrades.

The TE position was a major upgrade.

The interior OL was a major upgrade.

Will Anderson a pressure machine? Stingley a good corner in Demeco's defense? If so its not farfetched to think we have a top 10 unit on our hands.

It will come down to CJ as it did Davis Mills last year. The Texans played hard last year. They were in a lot of games and lost due to Davis Mills inability to make plays.

They just need the talent and you have to hope they got the QB right. Would have liked their chances more if Cooks was still around, but hopefully they can find a way to grab an upgrade at WR at the trade deadline if they are in contention.

But Alas, finally some excitement heading into the season and its a beautiful thing. Yall, its been yearsssssssssssssssss since we have had the opportunity to feel optimistic about the future of our football team.
Having a healthy Metchie will be huge.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
After returning to being a season ticket holder and having obligations on the "other" Sundays, not having a national game or two means the only time I will watch start to finish live is when in attendance...not that world should cater to me or anything.

That said, The Texans have won 11 games in three seasons and were an uninteresting product to watch on the field. Easy choice by anyone for Houston not to be a part of the national package for 2023.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't put any money on the Texans being in the playoffs in 2023. If DeMeco is who we hope he is, maybe 2024 we might sneak in as a wild card. I really think between 6 and 8 wins this season is more reasonable.

You guys gotta remember, we're still rebuilding. The rookies (QB, HC, OC) are all learning their new jobs.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't expect a whole lot out of this coming season but it does seem like they are actually trying to put something worth watching out there.

IF the Texans look good out there and they get at minimum wins against the Titans... especially the Oilers throwback Titans.... it will not be a wasted season.

mws

Rookie
For what it is worth here is the Texans Strength of Schedule starting out this season.

Going by the win/loss record from last year the Texans have the #30 strength of schedule.

2023 Opponents 2022 W\L Record
123-163-2 .431

10 teams had a losing record
Four teams had winning record, only two of which (Bengals, Ravens) had 10 or more wins

These 4 teams went to the playoffs
Bengals 12-4 (only played 16 games)
Ravens 10-7
Jaguars 9-8
Buccaneers 8-9

Generic Fan

He's just this guy, you know?
Week 8 will be the only conflict with the team from Arlington. If you are not in the Houston viewing area you will get the Arlingtons v. Rams at noon on Fox.
Texans v Jags also at noon on Fox that day.
So make plans for Week 8! You’re welcome.
Week 8 they are at Carolina right?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't expect a whole lot out of this coming season but it does seem like they are actually trying to put something worth watching out there.

IF the Texans look good out there and they get at minimum wins against the Titans... especially the Oilers throwback Titans.... it will not be a wasted season.
I expect a lot more than you do

Last year there were a lot of close games. With better coaching and Stroud being better than Mills, there's no reason to not expect them to win a majority of those games. Especially since they will have a much easier schedule and more talent around Stroud than Mills had last year. The defense should be much improved also.

No excuses

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I expect a lot more than you do

Last year there were a lot of close games. With better coaching and Stroud being better than Mills, there's no reason to not expect them to win a majority of those games. Especially since they will have a much easier schedule and more talent around Stroud than Mills had last year. The defense should be much improved also.

No excuses

So how many wins are you expecting?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
10?

10!

10 is probably not reasonable sir.
Why not

The defense if healthy should be a top 10-15 unit and if Stroud is who some think he is then 8-10 wins should be possible. I mean the il should be much improved as well as depth everywhere on the offense. I'm looking for Pierce to have a big yr. TE is much improved, the wr corps is solid despite not having a true WR1. It's much better than last year, with much more depth and the schedule is easier. You've gotta set goals high to achieve them and if Mills was as bad as some around here thinks he is, then there should be much optimism because Stroud should be a massive upgrade. That's if the team can stay relatively healthy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can see 10 wins, provided an improved pass rush, good secondary, and CJ Stroud at least being decent.

6 or less if even one of those listed is a failure.
Exactly, some posters are preparing for failure or setting up excuses if they fail. If the rest of the team plays up to their capabilities and Stroud is as good as advertised then they should win 8-10 games

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Exactly, some posters are preparing for failure or setting up excuses if they fail. If the rest of the team plays up to their capabilities and Stroud is as good as advertised then they should win 8-10 games
But with a rookie HC/OC you're actually thinking/expecting 6

Number19

Hall of Fame
Why not

The defense if healthy should be a top 10-15 unit and if Stroud is who some think he is then 8-10 wins should be possible. I mean the il should be much improved as well as depth everywhere on the offense. I'm looking for Pierce to have a big yr. TE is much improved, the wr corps is solid despite not having a true WR1. It's much better than last year, with much more depth and the schedule is easier. You've gotta set goals high to achieve them and if Mills was as bad as some around here thinks he is, then there should be much optimism because Stroud should be a massive upgrade. That's if the team can stay relatively healthy.
10 may get us a wild card berth.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
But with a rookie HC/OC you're actually thinking/expecting 6
So you expect them to fail because they have a rookie HC/OC.

But no excuses? Sounds like you just made one.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you expect them to fail because they have a rookie HC/OC.

But no excuses? Sounds like you just made one.
Mot really, I don't think they will win that many games because I think Stroud is dumb and it will take him longer to learn the offense than it should.

I was trying to be nice but since you called me out I will give you my true thoughts. In fact I doubt he will ever be able to truly grasp the offense. But he will become a middling QB due to his talent level.

Porky

Hall of Fame
10 is on the very high edge of possible. Pretty much everything must go right. I think 7 wins plus or minus 1 feels right. In other words 6-8 wins. 5 wins would be a minor disappointment, but given the conditions…not out of the question. Less than 5 would be a huge disappointment and it would make a lot of us call for Casserio to be shown the door.

I think the 10 wins is just SB setting his trap for later. All part of the grand plan. 😝

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Mot really, I don't think they will win that many games because I think Stroud is dumb and it will take him longer to learn the offense than it should.

I was trying to be nice but since you called me out I will give you my true thoughts. In fact I doubt he will ever be able to truly grasp the offense. But he will become a middling QB due to his talent level.
Realistically, when should a rookie QB have the offense figured out? Trying to understand your baseline of when learning curve excuses end.

Because you seem to be saying that there are no excuses if he hasn't grasped the offense - that no one right now knows what it looks like - by Day 1. But you also clearly believe there is a learning curve by saying "longer to learn the offense than it should".

So help me understand what is the appropriate amount of time any rookie QB gets to learn an offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Realistically, when should a rookie QB have the offense figured out? Trying to understand your baseline of when learning curve excuses end.

Because you seem to be saying that there are no excuses if he hasn't grasped the offense - that no one right now knows what it looks like - by Day 1. But you also clearly believe there is a learning curve by saying "longer to learn the offense than it should".

So help me understand what is the appropriate amount of time any rookie QB gets to learn an offense.
They will dumb it down for him early and he should be able to function enough to win games. See: Purdy

As far as fully grasping the offense 2 years is sufficient, but I give the extra half yr before I truly get a feel for where a young QB is within the offense.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Stroud should get at least 3 years. Shoots it might take the entire team three years to adjust to the (first year OC), first year HC,and new DC/scheme. Those are not excuses but are facts.

I would go deeper than that but I’m not trying to offend anyone or seem to
be attacking anyone.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
They will dumb it down for him early and he should be able to function enough to win games. See: Purdy

As far as fully grasping the offense 2 years is sufficient, but I give the extra half yr before I truly get a feel for where a young QB is within the offense.
My goal for Stroud was a 92.5 passer rating for 2023 and a 96 by 2024. You've given him until mid season 2025. Sounds like excuses to me. :hmmm:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My goal for Stroud was a 92.5 passer rating for 2023 and a 96 by 2024. You've given him until mid season 2025. Sounds like excuses to me. :hmmm:
I'm just willing to give a dumb player longer to try to learn than you are.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Purdy played for a much better team than Stroud will. 49ers were a 10-7 team in 2021 and made it to a conference championship game.

The Texans have only won 11 games in three seasons.

"No excuses", but there are valid reasons.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow.. just tossing up soft balls for him.

He’s a bust if he doesn’t win 12 games a year before October