Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

mussop

Hall of Fame
Yes but 99% of college players need to get stronger so just gum smacking with that. Yes Sanders needs to significantly improve on missed tackles as do many edge and line backers. Let's not overlook in 2022 he moved from edge to Middle Linebacker which caused some of that. He did however make a multitude of tackles and 9.5 of those were sacks. He also successfully defended 5 passes with an interception.
I like him a lot but o don’t see the comparison.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes but 99% of college players need to get stronger so just gum smacking with that. Yes Sanders needs to significantly improve on missed tackles as do many edge and line backers. Let's not overlook in 2022 he moved from edge to Middle Linebacker which caused some of that. He did however make a multitude of tackles and 9.5 of those were sacks. He also successfully defended 5 passes with an interception.
I think the comparison to a young healthy Vander Esch is appropriate.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

There are some quality free agents available. Most probably don't want to go to camp, but they're going to be standard ,cheap 1 yr deals.
Yannick N. might be of some help in the DL rotation

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I like oline investment although this seems a little steep tbh
If nothing else this should put the end to the Texans don't believe in investing in the OL. Plenty of draft and financial capital with a veteran OL coach.

2 high dollar free agents
2 first-round picks by the team
2nd round center (or at least a free agent or draft pick who beat him out)

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Jacob Martin released by Broncos. I’d like for the Texans to bring him back if the price is right.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I like oline investment although this seems a little steep tbh
Yes but historically teams often overpay in FA. Getting 4 years at a hole to protect Stroud is worth it. His 69 % PFF should increase significantly and he only gave up one sack.

It is the two positions to his left that greatly concerns me.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Free agent EDGE Jake Martin is visiting the Texans on Thursday.
He was just cut yesterday, so this is a pretty strong sign of interest by the Texans. Martin was with Houston from 2019-2021 and was part of the Jadeveon Clowney trade with the Seahawks. He'd likely be a depth piece for Houston if signed.
He’d be the favorite to get his designated pass rusher role back that Ogbo filled when he left. Current competition for that slot is Winovich/Rivers. Maybe Horton, but I think Horton would be pushed inside on passing downs so a different role.

I’m concerned about the recovery from a frayed patellar tendon. @CloakNNNdagger what is usually the long term performance outlook for that injury?

If he is reasonably priced and healthy he’d be a welcome addition. Can’t have too many pass rushers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes but historically teams often overpay in FA. Getting 4 years at a hole to protect Stroud is worth it. His 69 % PFF should increase significantly and he only gave up one sack.

It is the two positions to his left that greatly concerns me.
They now have depth at the IOL spots. So if you under perform you will be replaced. Competition/depth is a good thing. It wont surprise me to see Patterson starting at some point this season, even if all of the IOL are healthy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
They now have depth at the IOL spots. So if you under perform you will be replaced. Competition/depth is a good thing. It wont surprise me to see Patterson starting at some point this season, even if all of the IOL are healthy.
I would have preferred that patterson remained At center in college. However, his senior year as a guard definitely benefits the texans.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I'm emotionally invested in Green as both an Aggie and a high draft pick, but I am totally OK with everyone not named Tunsil having nothing given to them to start TC. Make 'em all earn it. On the flip side, I don't want to cheer for someone just because they were cheap so that I can say I was smarter than the people that do this for a living.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Interesting that he was the #1 HS recruit in 2015. It appears he has never lived up to that potential. But he played 48% of the snaps for the Patriots in 2020. Missed 2021 season and played 20% of snaps with Colts.

Good competition to bring into camp, but I don’t expect him to make the team.
Had back issues in 2020, although did play. Can't find why he missed 2021 season on PUP. Maybe his back? Although only took 20% of snaps for Colts, did play in all 17 games. He's now had a full season putting 2021 behind him, whatever was his issue. If he's going to fully recover to his full 2019 potential, we should see it in training camp.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Free agent WR Preston Williams visited with the Texans.
Williams spent 2022 with the Panthers after getting waived from Miami at final cuts. The 26-year-old's career has been wiped by injuries, with Williams tearing his ACL for a second time in 2020. Williams (6'5", 215-pounds) would give the Texans a veteran red zone target if signed.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Free agent WR Preston Williams visited with the Texans.
Williams spent 2022 with the Panthers after getting waived from Miami at final cuts. The 26-year-old's career has been wiped by injuries, with Williams tearing his ACL for a second time in 2020. Williams (6'5", 215-pounds) would give the Texans a veteran red zone target if signed.
A big target that can catch the ball is what I want to see.