Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Like I said, Connor Williams was graded the third best center in the league by PFF.

I had also detailed his (Deiter's) play in one of the posts above.

In 2021, the Dolphins were better with him than without him while playing the more difficult stretches on the schedule.

In 8 games, he allowed just one sack.

Connor Williams gave up 3 sacks in 2022.
Stats don't tell it all, do they? Williams was the overall better player.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
constant bitching is a result of dysfunctional minds. For all the bitchers out there, how has that moved your life forward? Life looks great from my end. How about yours?
Funny thing is we weren't always constant whiners. I used to be upfront in the KoolAid bus.

Reactions: JB

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I never said otherwise.
You don't have to belittle Deiter though.

Incorrectly, I may add.
This. Deiter signed a contract that does not in anyway guarantee him a starting job much less a spot on the roster. He’s essentially being brought in as a camp body. A low risk signing that can outperform expectations.

He’s got a 1 year 1.2 million deal. Quessenberry on the other hand is 1 year 2.1 million. If either make the roster as backup swing interior OL and provide JAG level play if called upon they are exceeding the value of that contract.

Hopefully the team grabs one of my favorite three centers (Schmitz, Wypler, Tippman) and we don’t worry about the position until it comes time to extend that rookie’s contract!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This. Deiter signed a contract that does not in anyway guarantee him a starting job much less a spot on the roster. He’s essentially being brought in as a camp body. A low risk signing that can outperform expectations.

He’s got a 1 year 1.2 million deal. Quessenberry on the other hand is 1 year 2.1 million. If either make the roster as backup swing interior OL and provide JAG level play if called upon they are exceeding the value of that contract.

Hopefully the team grabs one of my favorite three centers (Schmitz, Wypler, Tippman) and we don’t worry about the position until it comes time to extend that rookie’s contract!
People think I got a thing for Q. I don't.

But if I've got an OL with three first round picks in Tunsil, Green, & Howard, and if Shaq Mason is who this board is saying he is, then either Dieter, Morrissey, or Q would be sufficient at Center.

If I'm the Texans I'm not targeting a Center. I'm targeting best OL I can find third or 4th round.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

But if I've got an OL with three first round picks in Tunsil, Green, & Howard, and if Shaq Mason is who this board is saying he is, then either Dieter, Morrissey, or Q would be sufficient at Center.

If I'm the Texans I'm not targeting a Center. I'm targeting best OL I can find third or 4th round.
Fair enough. Seth Payne mentioned on one of his youtube podcasts how its more important to have mostly good OL instead of one really good OL and a the rest subpar.

If Kenyon Green can make the year two jump and stay healthy then I think whoever is playing center will be able to handle the job. I expect Shaq Mason to be a big help with that… and with getting Howard a big contract (whether its here or elsewhere).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Fair enough. Seth Payne mentioned on one of his youtube podcasts how its more important to have mostly good OL instead of one really good OL and a the rest subpar.

If Kenyon Green can make the year two jump and stay healthy then I think whoever is playing center will be able to handle the job. I expect Shaq Mason to be a big help with that… and with getting Howard a big contract (whether its here or elsewhere).
Correct.

& I'm not saying I wouldn't draft a Center. I'm targeting OL 3rd/4th round pick. It may very well end up being a Center

I'd venture to say that they still need to understand what they have at Center. As much as the LT is glorified for blind side protection, the center is the anchor and if you're subpar there then it will reflect negatively across the entire interior. Smart and strong, regardless of the scheme, I look at the Center as being on an island like a shutdown corner.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'd venture to say that they still need to understand what they have at Center. As much as the LT is glorified for blind side protection, the center is the anchor and if you're subpar there then it will reflect negatively across the entire interior. Smart and strong, regardless of the scheme, I look at the Center as being on an island like a shutdown corner.
If the center doesn't know what he is doing, you just have 5 guys flailing around trying to block someone

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Totally agree. It doesn't matter if you are Davis Mills, Case Keenum or Tom Brady, a pressure up the middle (which we certainly saw too much of last season) with a weak center will be a killer. Any QB I've ever spoken to, mobile or otherwise, has told me that that constant pressure up the middle with weak center play is virtually a kiss of death.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Strengths and weaknesses?

Kubena of the Houston Chronicle:
Young maintains excellent footwork and timing in all snap placements and dropback positionings, a sign that offers promise Young can throw comfortably within various pro style schemes. He didn’t take many snaps under center while playing at Alabama under offensive coordinator and former Texans head coach Bill O’Brien, but Young mixed several under-center snaps into a prepared script of 50 throws. It’s a necessary skill.

The Texans hired former 49ers passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik as their offensive coordinator, and 39 percent of San Francisco’s offensive plays last season originated from under center, which ranked ninth-most in the NFL according to The 33rd Team.

The majority of Young’s passes were within 15 yards. He was 30-of-31 on such passes with one dropped pass on a running back swing pass. Young has proficient precision on short-yardage throws, and he was also 11-of-11 passing on throws of 20 yards. Young maintains accuracy at that range whether he’s zipping or lobbing passes — a necessary arsenal for mid-range routes in which quarterbacks need to either gun a throw between defenders or arc another over defenders to receivers along the sideline.

Young’s deep throws are not effortless. His form noticeably changes in summoning the strength to throw 45 yards or more downfield. He completed 1-of-6 such attempts on Thursday. Two were dropped. Two were overthrown. One got caught in the net hanging from the ceiling. The throwing session did little to quell any questions stemming from his struggles to throw deep at Alabama.

Young was 18-of-45 passing on throws of 20-plus yards in 2022, according to SECStatCat.com, a significant dip in accuracy from Mac Jones’ completion percentage on such passes (29-of-50) in 2020.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Strengths and weaknesses?

Kubena of the Houston Chronicle:
Young maintains excellent footwork and timing in all snap placements and dropback positionings, a sign that offers promise Young can throw comfortably within various pro style schemes. He didn’t take many snaps under center while playing at Alabama under offensive coordinator and former Texans head coach Bill O’Brien, but Young mixed several under-center snaps into a prepared script of 50 throws. It’s a necessary skill.

The Texans hired former 49ers passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik as their offensive coordinator, and 39 percent of San Francisco’s offensive plays last season originated from under center, which ranked ninth-most in the NFL according to The 33rd Team.

The majority of Young’s passes were within 15 yards. He was 30-of-31 on such passes with one dropped pass on a running back swing pass. Young has proficient precision on short-yardage throws, and he was also 11-of-11 passing on throws of 20 yards. Young maintains accuracy at that range whether he’s zipping or lobbing passes — a necessary arsenal for mid-range routes in which quarterbacks need to either gun a throw between defenders or arc another over defenders to receivers along the sideline.

Young’s deep throws are not effortless. His form noticeably changes in summoning the strength to throw 45 yards or more downfield. He completed 1-of-6 such attempts on Thursday. Two were dropped. Two were overthrown. One got caught in the net hanging from the ceiling. The throwing session did little to quell any questions stemming from his struggles to throw deep at Alabama.

Young was 18-of-45 passing on throws of 20-plus yards in 2022, according to SECStatCat.com, a significant dip in accuracy from Mac Jones’ completion percentage on such passes (29-of-50) in 2020.
In the offense that we will employ, deep ball is not valued as much. The short game is the key, and playmakers who can turn a 5 yards gain into a home run is what they’re hoping for.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In the offense that we will employ, deep ball is not valued as much. The short game is the key, and playmakers who can turn a 5 yards gain into a home run is what they’re hoping for.
I agree with almost all which you are saying. But the deep ball is used when the D is lulled into the short game. In that, it is a very valuable tool to have in the armamentarium.

badboy

Hall of Fame
That's why we need Johnston, Bijan and Rashee Rice. Hyatt to catch defense off guard with his speed and bingo.

Number19

Hall of Fame
That's why we need Johnston, Bijan and Rashee Rice. Hyatt to catch defense off guard with his speed and bingo.
Discounting the one pass which hit the structure, two passes were dropped and two overthrown, with the one completion. Seems to me we need a fast receiver who can't be overthrown and who has good hands.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Dillard has talent. I haven’t followed his career close enough to understand why he hasn’t reached his potential, but a change of scenery could help. Could being the operative word.

And btw, this is a 3 year contract. Yes teams do hand out 1 yr deals more than they used to do, but there are still plenty of multi-year FA deals. Cherry picking some one year deals to validate Nick and his approach only tells half the story. I’d like to see how many FA deals have been signed league wide by length of contract once FA is over. It’s still ongoing and additional deals will be signed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Dillard has talent. I haven’t followed his career close enough to understand why he hasn’t reached his potential, but a change of scenery could help. Could being the operative word.

And btw, this is a 3 year contract. Yes teams do hand out 1 yr deals more than they used to do, but there are still plenty of multi-year FA deals. Cherry picking some one year deals to validate Nick and his approach only tells half the story. I’d like to see how many FA deals have been signed league wide by length of contract once FA is over. It’s still ongoing and additional deals will be signed.
Dillard has had continual problems with injuries. But even when healthy, he has never demonstrated adequate LT talent. He may need more than a change in scenery.....at very least, a change of position.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Dillard has had continual problems with injuries. But even when healthy, he has never demonstrated adequate LT talent. He may need more than a change in scenery.....at very least, a change of position.
Did the Eagles try him at RT or inside at G? I know the Eagles have a very talented line, so one issue may have simply been trying to find a spot for him. We'll see if it works out for Tenn. Selfishly, I hope it does not...but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him improve and lock down a starting spot longer term somewhere on their line, which has seen a rapid talent loss.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Did the Eagles try him at RT or inside at G? I know the Eagles have a very talented line, so one issue may have simply been trying to find a spot for him. We'll see if it works out for Tenn. Selfishly, I hope it does not...but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him improve and lock down a starting spot longer term somewhere on their line, which has seen a rapid talent loss.
They sure did..everything's pointing to him just not being very good.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Of course, Kubena, Caserio has had absolutely nothing to do with exercising discipline in free agency. :bubble:

************************************************************************************************
Houston Texans: DeMeco Ryans discusses approach in free agency
March 27, 2023Updated: March 28, 2023 9:53 a.m.

DeMeco Ryans defended the Texans' free-agent approach, citing the need to exercise discipline in the market.

PHOENIX — An old grievance provokes a genuine laugh. Texans coach DeMeco Ryans leans back in his chair and considers the half-joke that questions if he had to promise former 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward he’d play free safety again to get him to sign with Houston.

“Jimmie can play anywhere,” says Ryans, who’d moved Ward to nickel in his final season as San Francisco’s defensive coordinator. “But I’m going to play him at safety.”

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It makes zero sense for Arizona to cut Hopkins at this point. They have plenty of cap space ($20 million) and free agency has pretty much passed. Just hold him until a team that is in contention needs a playmaking WR during the season. And putting Hopkins on the field making plays in 2023 will enhance his value.

Of course, when have the Cardinals ever did anything that made sense?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
It makes zero sense for Arizona to cut Hopkins at this point. They have plenty of cap space ($20 million) and free agency has pretty much passed. Just hold him until a team that is in contention needs a playmaking WR during the season. And putting Hopkins on the field making plays in 2023 will enhance his value.

Of course, when have the Cardinals ever did anything that made sense?
Here's a good summary of the situation.

What would it mean for their salary cap?

A trade would save the Cardinals $8.15 million in cap space but would leave Arizona with $22.6 million in dead money. However, either releasing Hopkins after June 1 or releasing him before that and designating him as a post-June 1 release would save the Cardinals’ $19.45 million in cap space. But releasing him means Arizona would not get anything tangible in return for a receiver who ranks No. 7 in receiving yards (5,433) over the past five seasons, though they would no longer be handcuffed by Hopkins’ contract.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Here's a good summary of the situation.

What would it mean for their salary cap?

A trade would save the Cardinals $8.15 million in cap space but would leave Arizona with $22.6 million in dead money. However, either releasing Hopkins after June 1 or releasing him before that and designating him as a post-June 1 release would save the Cardinals’ $19.45 million in cap space. But releasing him means Arizona would not get anything tangible in return for a receiver who ranks No. 7 in receiving yards (5,433) over the past five seasons, though they would no longer be handcuffed by Hopkins’ contract.
It would make sense to cut Hopkins if the Cardinals needed the cap space to sign FAs or to sign their draft class. But they don't need it. And trading Hopkins means no dead money in 2024. Using a post June 1st cut designation would leave the Cardinals with $10.5 million dead money in 2024. Better to rip off the bandaid clean and take the cap hit now.

zshawn10

All Pro
Houston Texans

GM Nick Caserio won positive reviews last offseason for maximizing Deshaun Watson’s value. This year, the Texans’ many mid- and lower-tier signings in free agency failed to generate excitement. The team also traded top receiver Brandin Cooks.

“They load up on special-teamers, depth guys, and there is a pattern of similar type moves,” an exec said. “I’m not sure how they get better. Hopefully, with DeMeco (Ryans) changing the defense, they get better.”

Signing tight end Dalton Schultz from Dallas on a one-year deal for $9 million could be criticized in a year when tight ends appear plentiful in the draft. But as Houston likely prepares to pick a quarterback with the second pick, having a fully developed tight end could be advantageous.

“If you look at some of these tight ends, like Evan Engram, for example, they needed time,” an evaluator said. “Teams drafting quarterbacks are getting better at saying, ‘OK, what is the next step to give him the most possible success?’ Carolina is taking a quarterback, so they get a tight end in Hayden Hurst. Same for Houston with Schultz.”

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
TE's are said to be a QB's best friend and one reason for that is they are big, tall targets with long arms close to the line of scrimmage so a quick dump off is often available.
They also offer a second line of "defense" against a rusher who has gotten through the first line.
One imagines Patrick Mahomes without Travis Kelce and Tom Brady without Rob Gronkowski would not be the same stellar successes.
I am hopeful that the next Texans QB will find plenty of success with Dalton Schultz.
Toss in a top tier running game and a rookies job suddenly becomes so much easier.
I imagine even Davis Mills would look like a completely different person.

Texansballer74

The Marine
TE's are said to be a QB's best friend and one reason for that is they are big, tall targets with long arms close to the line of scrimmage so a quick dump off is often available.
They also offer a second line of "defense" against a rusher who has gotten through the first line.
One imagines Patrick Mahomes without Travis Kelce and Tom Brady without Rob Gronkowski would not be the same stellar successes.
I am hopeful that the next Texans QB will find plenty of success with Dalton Schultz.
Toss in a top tier running game and a rookies job suddenly becomes so much easier.
I imagine even Davis Mills would look like a completely different person.
You were on it until you mentioned Mills. Lol

Khelar

Rookie
Not sure that first exec talking about special teamers and depth is really paying attention. We upgraded starters at safety with Ward over Owens, LB with Perryman over Kirksey, DT with Rankins over Roy Lopez/Kurt Hinish, RG with Mason over Cann, and TE with Schultz over Akins. Then there’s several other rotational pieces who will see good amounts of playing time. Most of these guys were more B tier free agents but still upgraded at 5+ positions I’d say.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not sure that first exec talking about special teamers and depth is really paying attention. We upgraded starters at safety with Ward over Owens, LB with Perryman over Kirksey, DT with Rankins over Roy Lopez/Kurt Hinish, RG with Mason over Cann, and TE with Schultz over Akins. Then there’s several other rotational pieces who will see good amounts of playing time. Most of these guys were more B tier free agents but still upgraded at 5+ positions I’d say.
Singletary is an upgrade to our running game as well.
Don't expect any of the national talking heads to give any kudos to the Texans - it will only get you depressed waiting.