Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

Single tray would be an interesting signing. Might take RB off the draft list or make it a very late pick. He can play.

I don’t know the other two, so guessing these are borderline or ST guys? Any of you guys have the lowdown on these WR’s.

Single tray would be an interesting signing. Might take RB off the draft list or make it a very late pick. He can play.

I don’t know the other two, so guessing these are borderline or ST guys? Any of you guys have the lowdown on these WR’s.

Sims is a small guy with return skills.

Hodge is a full size WR never high than 5th on a depth chart.

Both have bounced around the bottom of NFL rosters with little sustained success.

Sims was born in Houston and Hodge went to Prairie View.

Last edited:
Gotta love ipads and their incessant need to auto-correct. It takes 3 times of correcting before it will let it pass by. No, I didn't type in "single tray". Come on Apple! Do better than this! I meant and typed in Singletary. Just didn't catch the auto-correct.

Now I'm back on a Windows desktop and auto-correct isn't a thing.

Gotta love ipads and their incessant need to auto-correct. It takes 3 times of correcting before it will let it pass by. No, I didn't type in "single tray". Come on Apple! Do better than this! I meant and typed in Singletary. Just didn't catch the auto-correct.

Now I'm back on a Windows desktop and auto-correct isn't a thing.
my Samsung 21 is just as bad. It actually got worse after an 'upgrade'. I have just about eliminated voice to text but that increases pain from my tendonitis.

The last game Pierce played in the Texans were 26th in rushing yards.
tell me which of these I can brag about? I know rest of offense matters but I still want better and expect better in his second year with WCO and a better RG and prayerfully a solid center in draft.

DATEOPPRESULTATTYDSAVGTDLNG
Sun 12/11@DALDALL
27-23
Sun 12/4vsCLECLEL
27-14
Sun 11/27@MIAMIAL
30-15
Sun 11/20vsWSHWSHL
23-10
Sun 11/13@NYGNYGL
24-16

Make a list of every player on the entire roster available to play on offense.
Put that list in order by who is most to least responsible for the Texans being 26th in rushing yards.
Pierce is the last player on that list
has nothing to do with my comments. Everyone knows the status of all factors from quality of team to coaching. I evaluate players with that in mind as I do with Davis Mills. Each should have done better and I expect both of these players to do so this season. I am NOT comparing Mills to Pierce.

He can play...........and he is durable...............and if we sign him and sign Young, Young's confidence will be boosted through the roof, being able to say for the first time that he is 3 inches taller than one of his teammates............further boosted by all their sided-by-side photos that the sports media will be publishing. :)

Schultz seemed to quit on the team there at the end. Didn't like that. That said, he can play and I hope like hell he doesn't sandbag us like that.

He's a good TE...maybe #2 to OD ever for this team so I can't not like this signing...but I hope Ryans and Co. had a long talk with him about that because that's not the kind of dog I thought Ryans was looking for. Another patented one year Casserio special. The guy is only 26. This is a guy you lock up for 3 or 4 years. If he balls out, he'll go to greener pastures or you'll end up paying, even more, to try to retain him. I don't understand how you build stability and team chemistry with this constant churn, but we'll see I guess.

With that, we can take starting TE off the draft needs list. This is your 2023 starter. Could grab a developmental guy late in the draft still, but you don't sign this guy and take one high in 23.

This offense just added two legit weapons. The Schultz signing is huge for this team. Best TE since OD and he can block! He will have the same impact Evan Engram did for the Jags.

Then Singletary, he’s a legit compliment to Pierce. Two quality RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield now and then a TE that a young QB can rely on. This offense got better today.

I would still like to grab a TE and RB in the draft but those are day 3 concerns now. Maybe move TE up higher if you’re concerned you wont retain Schultz after he is first or second on the team in receiving this year.

Agreed, but what's with all the 1 year deals? I mean honestly...WTF!

One year deals happen when a player doesn’t get the money they expected in the first wave of free agency. See Gardner-Johnson just going to the Lions for a bargain.

Schultz sees a situation where he can be the first or second option in the passing game here. Which sets him up for a big payday next offseason.

Schultz seemed to quit on the team there at the end. Didn't like that. That said, he can play and I hope like hell he doesn't sandbag us like that.

He's a good TE...maybe #2 to OD ever for this team so I can't not like this signing...but I hope Ryans and Co. had a long talk with him about that because that's not the kind of dog I thought Ryans was looking for. Another patented one year Casserio special. The guy is only 26. This is a guy you lock up for 3 or 4 years. If he balls out, he'll go to greener pastures or you'll end up paying, even more, to try to retain him. I don't understand how you build stability and team chemistry with this constant churn, but we'll see I guess.

With that, we can take starting TE off the draft needs list. This is your 2023 starter. Could grab a developmental guy late in the draft still, but you don't sign this guy and take one high in 23.
So you complain that he quit on Dallas and you didn’t like that then you complain that he wasn’t locked up longer because we can’t build stability. you got your ass covered in your patented way, lol.

Looks to me like he's just adding dudes who can actually play for a minute. I'd hazard a guess that it's to surround an incoming QB with the kind of pieces that will allow him to hit the ground running and get a good solid season of learning/growing on the job immediately, while also keeping cap options open moving forward.

The core is going to be the picks used last year, this year, and next. With cap space next season to really start adding longer-term pieces plus any holdovers from this years FA crop plus a shot at a competitive first season with a budding franchise QB I can at least squint my eyes and perhaps see the same vision that Caserio/Ryans are gameplanning.

If the 3-year haul of picks lands as we think they should, if the FA crop next year can add a couple/few more strong long-term answers, if the QB this draft is really that guy, if a couple/few of these new additions this year can blossom here and stick around.. if all of these things fall in line we could be asking ourselves if we're not a piece or two away from promised land territory going into 2025. Lot of 'ifs' for sure, but that's kinda the thing with putting together a long-game roster build from scratch. Not too much too soon, not needing too much too late. It's all pieces thrown into the pot strategically with different cooktimes that will hopefully be simmering all together at just the right time.

Like I said, it's all just my hunch and I've still got to squint a bit to see it, but it's certainly clearer than the pitch black vision of the last few years. In Caserio/Ryans we - hopefully - trust.

I wonder if Demeco and Nick just decided to get some 1 year guys on offense this year and build Demeco's defense through the draft this year except QB and maybe a #1 WR then work on the offense next year. Not a bad plan since Demeco is a defensive coach and could probably get that side built the fastest. Get the blocking schemes installed for the OL which should remain the same for next year except the C

Last edited:
Schultz seemed to quit on the team there at the end.
The only sign I saw of that was him running out of bounds late instead of fighting for the first down once late in the year. I thought it was bad judgement. Did you see more?

There are some very good RB options in the late rounds for a ZBS offense.

I wonder if Demeco and Nick just decided to get some 1 year guys on offense this year and build Demeco's defense through the draft this year except QB and maybe a #1 WR then work on the offense next year. Not a bad plan since Demeco is a defensive coach and could probably get that side built the fastest. Get the blocking schemes installed for the OL which should remain the same for next year except the C
sure, that’s plausible. Also do we even know if these players wanted more than a one year deal. They may be betting on themselves which, to me, is more likely for a younger player that perhaps is still reaching his ceiling. I’m no longer concerned about NC locking them up longer next year if that would be favorable. Wouldn’t have said it before until Tunsil was extended. I didn’t think we had a chance to do that, now we seem to have more options.

While important, rushing yards is not the only measurement of a running back. We had basically nothing behind him so he should have that ranking.

Is the concern that he was over-utilized?

He averaged 16.8 carries per game and had 85% of the RB carries. His carries per game was not high at all compared to the guys who would have finished around him based on his projected 17-game season.

Jacobs - 20.0 - 90%
Henry - 21.8 - 85%
Chubb - 17.8 - 69%
Barkley - 18.4 - 78%
Sanders - 15.3 - 70%
Cook - 15.5 - 72%

That second stat is a bit concerning though because only Jacobs and Henry were utilized that much. I think the signing of Singletary helps with that.

I can see Pierce being in that 70-80% range but I don't think it will diminish his carries or totals moving forward for a few reasons. First, I think having a legit QB will do wonders for respecting the passing game. Second, I think there will be a much more balanced play calling (60/40 in favor of passing last year). Third, I think the scheme/O-line play will increase his YPC as it is designed to make first contact after the LOS and he is a beast after contact. Fourth, I'm hoping he plays the entire season.

Agreed, but what's with all the 1 year deals? I mean honestly...WTF!

I imagine that Caserio was more than willing to give a 3-4 year deal for Schultz. But that doesn't mean Schultz wanted a 3-4 year deal. He had a three year deal from the Cowboys that he refused and wanted to test the market. It didn't give him what he wanted, so going after a 1-year prove it deal to leverage for next off season. If he balls out this year, they need to try and lock him up long term during the season, if he is willing.

Honestly, it isn't always about what this team DIDN'T do right. It takes two to tango.

The only sign I saw of that was him running out of bounds late instead of fighting for the first down once late in the year. I thought it was bad judgement. Did you see more?

that is exactly what I was referring to. It was late in the playoff game and he looked lackadaisical in a very key spot. I like Daltons game, it just made me raise an eyebrow. We need dogs, Ryans said it himself. But if Demeco is happy, I am happy.

Arguably the best two way TE in our history. OD had the tenure but just looking at it as one single season, I’m not sure OD can match. OD was more get in the way guy in the run game. Schultz is more of a bully. Although I do have some mild concern due to what I saw as laziness in a playoff game, I’m thrilled with the skills he can bring.

My thing is if you like the guy and apparently they do, lock that dude up. Don’t let him use us as a springboard to a new job. He is not some aging vet playing out the string, he is young, offers the best TE skill set in our history, so lock him up for min 2 years but preferably 3 or 4. Love the position, like the player, dislike the term.

I imagine that Caserio was more than willing to give a 3-4 year deal for Schultz. But that doesn't mean Schultz wanted a 3-4 year deal. He had a three year deal from the Cowboys that he refused and wanted to test the market. It didn't give him what he wanted, so going after a 1-year prove it deal to leverage for next off season. If he balls out this year, they need to try and lock him up long term during the season, if he is willing.

Honestly, it isn't always about what this team DIDN'T do right. It takes two to tango.

very fair point sandman. Thanks for a different perspective. Only thing I will say is literally all FA deals Nick has signed have been ultra short prove it deals. I mean there is a clear pattern. Last year he signed OBO Oko and dude balled out. Did Nick sign him? No, he took off for greener pastures.

there is Risk on both sides agreeing to a deal like this, but for 2023, it improves the offernse significantly. If Dalton is proving out during the year, I want Nick to be proactive and offer a LT contract in-season. Don’t let him hit the market.

very fair point sandman. Thanks for a different perspective. Only thing I will say is literally all FA deals Nick has signed have been ultra short prove it deals. I mean there is a clear pattern. Last year he signed OBO Oko and dude balled out. Did Nick sign him? No, he took off for greener pastures.

there is Risk on both sides agreeing to a deal like this, but for 2023, it improves the offernse significantly. If Dalton is proving out during the year, I want Nick to be proactive and offer a LT contract in-season. Don’t let him hit the market.

Agreed that Nick loves him some short term deals, and would have loved to have gotten Schultz for longer. But I think Schultz drove the terms this time around.

My thing is if you like the guy and apparently they do, lock that dude up. Don’t let him use us as a springboard to a new job. He is not some aging vet playing out the string, he is young, offers the best TE skill set in our history, so lock him up for min 2 years but preferably 3 or 4. Love the position, like the player, dislike the term.
I can see the one year contract as being good for both player and team. Would the player have committed to a 4 win team for multiple years and how much would that have cost? The one year contract lets the team know how well the player fits and if they want him for more and the player wants to be here they can extend as Caserio likes to do

Back