Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 Strength of Schedule.......Uh Oh!

mws

Rookie
I have a question about the schedule in general. Last year we had 9 home games & this year we have 8 home games. Does anybody know if it will hold true that we rotate the number of home games every year?

vtech9

All Pro
I'm not saying that it will happen, but the Texans could be 4-1 by the bye week.

The 1st game against Indy is a winnable game. What better time to play the Colts than the first game? It will be Matt Ryan's first regular season game with the Colts, and the Texans coming out at home for their 1st game are going to be fired up.

The 2nd game against Denver is most likely a loss. It will be Russell Wilson's 2nd game with the Broncos, and with his feet, I think his learning curve is not as steep.

The 3rd game against Chicago can go either way, but I think we can come out with the win. I like Fields, but he's going to have his ups and downs in the new system, and meeting them early in the season is good for the Texans. Conversely, the same could be said on the flip side.

The 4th game...Well, we beat the Chargers last year with a run game that was terrible, and I think our run game will be much better this year. If the Defense can limit Herbert, I think this is a very winnable game.

The 5th game? The Jags...nothing more needs to be said.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
There's gonna be a whole lot of disappointment to go around for everyone, no sense in fighting over it now. LOL
There are three reasons for disappointment this season:

1. Mills ain’t the guy. And even then that will be short lived because we got two first round picks.

2. Then the only other disappointment could be from the Browns having a winning record. Because that will screw up one of the picks.

3. Last, our high round draft picks that had health concerns do indeed have health concerns meaning we missed on those picks.

That’s the only thing that could lead to some form of disappointment.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
That early bye looks forbidding. Could be 1-4? Post bye, 3 straight L’s, that’s 1-7 heading into NY to try and win vs Giants. Let’s hope for a W, then home for Commanders another W, 3-7. Then 5 straight L’s, 3-12. Can Texans beat Jag’s @ home week 17? Sure they can finishing with loss @ Indy week 18 for back to back 4-13 seasons. Virtual repeat far as draft slotting including Cleveland pick. From 2022-2023 record will not be reflection of actual groundwork for breakout in 2024. If we all survive it and live long enough to see it.
:koolaid:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That early bye looks forbidding. Could be 1-4? Post bye, 3 straight L’s, that’s 1-7 heading into NY
I’m thinking a 5 game win streak after the bye. Maybe 7.

it’s early, very early, no reason to see Oakland, Tennessee, & Philly as insurmountable. Those three teams will lose to some bad teams.

granted it’s a bit of fantasy on my part to think we’ll win all three & then some. But that’s what I do this far out.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I’m thinking a 5 game win streak after the bye. Maybe 7.

it’s early, very early, no reason to see Oakland, Tennessee, & Philly as insurmountable. Those three teams will lose to some bad teams.

granted it’s a bit of fantasy on my part to think we’ll win all three & then some. But that’s what I do this far out.
A five game win streak? You've ventured far from fantasy into supernatural territory. LOL

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We don't know how good/bad any of those teams will be in 2022. They were all borderline in 2021, except the Titans. But we darn near beat them twice last season.

Raiders
Titans
Eagles
Giants
Commanders

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Not promising predictions. But no way can such predictions realistically be considered accurate so early on. Too many variables possible prior to the season......and many more affected during the season.

But here's Kubena's game-by-game predictions.
*****************************************************************************************

Texans 2022 schedule analysis: Finding 5 wins
Brooks Kubena, Staff writer
May 13, 2022Updated: May 13, 2022 7:23 a.m.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
We don't know how good/bad any of those teams will be in 2022.
We don’t really know how good or bad the Texans are either. A lot of changes but a lot of questions still to be answered.

Many expect Mills to step up, but Mills has some tape now. A sophomore slump is a real possibility. Will they be able to run the ball finally? What exactly will this new offense be and can they get some consistency with it? Who’s the playmakers? Will they be able to stop the run? Will they have a decent pass rush? Who’s the playmakers? I mean it’s still a Lovie Smith defense that wasn’t very good at all under him last year.

Until a lot of those questions get answered, my expectations are that they’ll still be a top 5 draft pick team. Probably not the worst (I think Atlanta will be that team), but they’ll likely be in the mix.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Until a lot of those questions get answered, my expectations are that they’ll still be a top 5 draft pick team. Probably not the worst (I think Atlanta will be that team), but they’ll likely be in the mix.
Valid & thoughtful.

That same logic should be applied to all the borderline teams on our schedule & there are a lot of them.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There's tape on Mills so some think he might regress.

Does this also apply to Lawrence and Fields who the Calhoun's play within the 1st five games of the season?
Mills is a throwback. More pocket passer than fans want to see in today's game.

His progress will have to be in terms of reading defenses, getting into the right play, rhythm, & consistency.

A clean pocket is going to be more crucial for his success than for Lawrence, Fields, or even Zach Wilson

I'm interested in seeing how many sacks Trey Lance will take & how that will alter the perception of the 49ers OL. He's young, inexperienced, & his style of play inflate sack numbers

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
There's tape on Mills so some think he might regress.

Does this also apply to Lawrence and Fields who the Calhoun's play within the 1st five games of the season?
Based on the amount of Mills starts…..teams had enough tape on him to continue his rookie season beat down, but he got better and by the time he played his last 5 games…..he elevated himself to one of the best rookie QB’s in 2021.

For 2022, Caserio has given him some help….new HC, OC, offensive system, a better OG, SWR, and RB. I think Mills can take another solid step in his development this season.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Based on the amount of Mills starts…..teams had enough tape on him to continue his rookie season beat down, but he got better and by the time he played his last 5 games…..he elevated himself to one of the best rookie QB’s in 2021.

For 2022, Caserio has given him some help….new HC, OC, offensive system, a better OG, SWR, and RB. I think Mills can take another solid step in his development this season.
Hey add in the fact that Pep will run a lot of plays Davis ran at Stanford.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mills is a throwback. More pocket passer than fans want to see in today's game.

His progress will have to be in terms of reading defenses, getting into the right play, rhythm, & consistency.

A clean pocket is going to be more crucial for his success than for Lawrence, Fields, or even Zach Wilson

I'm interested in seeing how many sacks Trey Lance will take & how that will alter the perception of the 49ers OL. He's young, inexperienced, & his style of play inflate sack numbers
Truth is championships are won by throwing accurately from the pocket. Look at last years SB as a template. Plus it's not like Mills is Schaubian.

DanielTx

Veteran
Holy cow! There’s a bright side though. If Watson goes down with injury or just stinks it up, we’re looking at two top three draft picks for 2023! Awesome position to at least get the rebuild about 70% done. I still think 2024 will be the year it all comes together.
haha Watson stinks it up, he says…
Think about it. What’s the chances a perennial all pro qb stinking it up out there? A qb with one of the worst teams of all-time still managing to win 4 games and finish #1 passing yards stinking it up out there.
I know because I seen it. My favorite college team… Florida state and I once to wished the worst for Watson. Guy beats 5+ nfl teams Bama, Ohio state and Fsu multiple occasions. I remember his draft day. So many geniuses here were saying that was college but what do you know.. 5 years later he’s a top 3 qb whose going to demolish us dec 4th which I call judgement day. I just hope the Texans defense says a prayer and beg for forgiveness from Mr. Watson. I understand we want to make each other feel better as the season approaches but the reality is we’re nothing without Watson. We will be lucky to get 7 wins this season. If the Texans are up to what I think it is the future will be bright again. Not going after a qb in the draft and free agency so we can start Mills and be the worst team resulting in drafting Bryce Young is understanding.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Think about it. What’s the chances a perennial all pro qb stinking it up out there? A qb with one of the worst teams of all-time still managing to win 4 games and finish #1 passing yards stinking it up out there.
I know because I seen it. My favorite college team… Florida state and I once to wished the worst for Watson. Guy beats 5+ nfl teams Bama, Ohio state and Fsu multiple occasions. I remember his draft day. So many geniuses here were saying that was college but what do you know.. 5 years later he’s a top 3 qb whose going to demolish us dec 4th which I call judgement day. I just hope the Texans defense says a prayer and beg for forgiveness from Mr. Watson. I understand we want to make each other feel better as the season approaches but the reality is we’re nothing without Watson. We will be lucky to get 7 wins this season. If the Texans are up to what I think it is the future will be bright again. Not going after a qb in the draft and free agency so we can start Mills and be the worst team resulting in drafting Bryce Young is understanding.
When did Watson ever make all-pro? You honestly think he's a top 3 QB? It's questionable he is still a top 10 QB. You've been gone quite awhile, surprised to see you show your 'face' again! And where do you get off calling youself a mod? Does the official staff not know?

DanielTx

Veteran
When did Watson ever make all-pro? You honestly think he's a top 3 QB? It's questionable he is still a top 10 QB. You've been gone quite awhile, surprised to see you show your 'face' again! And where do you get off calling youself a mod? Does the official staff not know?
hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
yeah it’s questionable alright

Best Passer Rating over the last 5 NFL seasons among qualified QB

Drew Brees 110.3
Patrick Mahomes 105.8
Aaron Rodgers 105.2
Deshaun Watson 104.5
Russell Wilson 103.8

Dec 4th… winter is coming

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
yeah it’s questionable alright

Best Passer Rating over the last 5 NFL seasons among qualified QB

Drew Brees 110.3
Patrick Mahomes 105.8
Aaron Rodgers 105.2
Deshaun Watson 104.5
Russell Wilson 103.8

Dec 4th… winter is coming
Answer the question please! When did Watson ever make all-pro? The rest is just opinions and I think mine are closer to the truth of the matter than yours

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Answer the question please! When did Watson ever make all-pro? The rest is just opinions and I think mine are closer to the truth of the matter than yours
You realize All-Pro goes to just 1 QB every year, right?
Brady wasn't an All Pro until his 7th season. And he's only been so 3 times in his 22 year career.
Roethlisberger never was.
Russell Wilson never.
Drew Brees just once in 20 years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You realize All-Pro goes to just 1 QB every year, right?
Brady wasn't an All Pro until his 7th season. And he's only been so 3 times in his 22 year career.
Roethlisberger never was.
Russell Wilson never.
Drew Brees just once in 20 years.
Neither was David Carr. What's your point?

I would suggest thinking about what happens if Derrick, gets paid to not play next yr like he did last yr. I dont see anyway that God'ell lets him play with charges hanging over his head. If this happens and Watson is only going to make a million dollars next yr, I could see a path where the other owners will want to punish Haslem to the point of Derrick missing the 2023 season when he will be missing a gazillion dollars.

Can you tell me after missing almost if not all of three yrs of NFL football that Derrick will even be a top 10-15 QB. Remember Young/Stroud are coming out next yr. Would you rather own a franchise that had 5 yrs of Stroud on his rookie deal or Derrick on his deal for 3-4 more yrs after not playing football for 3 yrs?

I think everybody on this MB knows where I stand.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How's his dictate.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Truth is championships are won by throwing accurately from the pocket. Look at last years SB as a template. Plus it's not like Mills is Schaubian.
Stafford was far from accurate.
He was 26 of 40, missing a number of throws badly.
He also threw 2 Ints.
He made a big play out of play action pass and another on a roll-out.

7 sacks by the defense also helped.

Neither QB was known to be scrambler; somebody has to win.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stafford was far from accurate.
He was 26 of 40, missing a number of throws badly.
He also threw 2 Ints.
He made a big play out of play action pass and another on a roll-out.

7 sacks by the defense also helped.

Neither QB was known to be scrambler; somebody has to win.
He was very accurate when it counted most.

He also lost OBJ which contributed to this.