Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2022 Simulator Mock Drafts

We should resist temptation, my son and focus on bpa for each draft slot. Meandering and speculation is a road best not traveled.
Who is the Texans back-up QB? And does he offer tools to compete with Mills? Hate to beat :deadhorse but first things first, need to establish franchise QB. Strong is best comp to Mills use early 3rd.
Green was huge disappointment, not even on my draft board. Howard is probably a LG, I say probably because we don’t know, he’s been moved so much, but is definitely a phone booth Guard with good athleticism so left side of interior he goes. Texans have room to bring in Collins now to be the RT. Makes a ton of sense, draft bpa.

Green not on your draft board due to combine? Put the film on bro!

Combine. Lacked explosive get off contributing to 5.24 forty, don’t have 10 yard split but sure it’s disappointing, massive frame but subpar strength 20 reps. His on field drills exhibited slow change of direction footwork and weight distribution. Tape is tape but still need to check boxes and that basis he failed. Really surprised, Zion leaped over him as #1 OG in draft.

Combine. Lacked explosive get off contributing to 5.24 forty, don’t have 10 yard split but sure it’s disappointing, massive frame but subpar strength 20 reps. His on field drills exhibited slow change of direction footwork and weight distribution. Tape is tape but still need to check boxes and that basis he failed. Really surprised, Zion leaped over him as #1 OG in draft.

I wasn’t surprised at all that Zion jumped Kenyon. They are almost one in the same. Game tape is the first read b/c it happens on the field of play and during the season. Game tape and reports from the All Star Bowls is up next and Zion separated himself at this point. Remember, game tape put Kenyon on top. The Combine numbers are accounted for last since it’s a non-competitive show with no pads or someone hitting them….just numbers to take into consideration. Make no mistake…..both of these guys are RD1 OG’s b/c they just flat out get the job done and carry mean streaks while doing it.

• HOU

Aidan Hutchinson
    EDGE Michigan

• HOU

Charles Cross
    OT Mississippi State

• HOU

Breece Hall
    RB Iowa State

• HOU

Carson Strong
    QB Nevada

• HOU

Jalen Wydermyer
    TE Texas A&M

• HOU

Khalil Shakir
    WR Boise State

Kyle Philips
    WR UCLA

Kalon Barnes
    CB Baylor

Mike Rose
    LB Iowa State

Spencer Burford
    OT UTSA

I agree with a lot of what you said. It seemed Green did not really prepare for the combine. which could be a red flag on being a pro or possibly nursing an injury. But not on your draft board? Green is still no worse than the 2nd OG. And there is no comparison between Johnson and Green in regards to level of competition. The ACC was down and Green has faced the highest level of completion available in college football. Green played 4 positions this year, including LT vs Bama. And kept the Aggie QB's jersey clean in a upset win.

I like what I've seen from Zion Johnson, as well. He's shown versatility and athleticism. Zion is a very aggressive blocker who would be a fit in the Texans power blocking scheme. i may even like him a little more than Green for the Texans because of his potential to play Center. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to grab a true junior that is a 3 year starter in the SEC that has performed at 4 positions on the O-line. Green is definitely on the board.

Carson Strong
    QB Nevada

Khalil Shakir
    WR Boise State

Kyle Philips
    WR UCLA

I really like most of the picks,except a few exceptions.

Strong shows me nothing and looks like he's hiding an injury. I have concerns about Davis Mills' mobility and he could run rings around Strong.

Shakir and Phillips both play the slot. I would pick one or the other (though Shakir is the better prospect).

I agree with a lot of what you said. It seemed Green did not really prepare for the combine. which could be a red flag on being a pro or possibly nursing an injury. But not on your draft board? Green is still no worse than the 2nd OG. And there is no comparison between Johnson and Green in regards to level of competition. The ACC was down and Green has faced the highest level of completion available in college football. Green played 4 positions this year, including LT vs Bama. And kept the Aggie QB's jersey clean in a upset win.

I like what I've seen from Zion Johnson, as well. He's shown versatility and athleticism. Zion is a very aggressive blocker who would be a fit in the Texans power blocking scheme. i may even like him a little more than Green for the Texans because of his potential to play Center. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to grab a true junior that is a 3 year starter in the SEC that has performed at 4 positions on the O-line. Green is definitely on the board.
Nice assessment - you cleared up something I saw that had question marks over him and I also see he has slid down CBS big board.

My mistake using shortcut statement “not on my draft board” to simplify a prospects draft grade in comparison to perceived value, meaning because of tape and hype will be over drafted so I would pass. Now if he falls towards middle of 2nd to late 2nd his draft grade might be a fit, just not first or that early 2nd. And there is a big difference between Green and Zion. I would consider Zion has a blue chipper who could fill multiple positional needs and not just a box in the phone booth like Green.

Whether you agree or disagree with Strong that’s fine, would like you to suggest a better QB prospect in 3rd? Loved the Mills pick from the get go, despite bucking the negative backlash of using that pick on QB position rather than a higher graded position player. I knew Tyrod Taylor background well, was supposed to be the starter for Chargers season before and let Herbert develop. Never panned out, even worse in fact, so both rookie QB’s thrown into the fire.

Right now who is the Texans back-up QB? I’d use a 3rd again to develop and just in case, be able to step in and still run Pep’s offense.

I really like most of the picks,except a few exceptions.

Strong shows me nothing and looks like he's hiding an injury. I have concerns about Davis Mills' mobility and he could run rings around Strong.

Shakir and Phillips both play the slot. I would pick one or the other (though Shakir is the better prospect).

Adding weapons at a discount for offense seems like a very Caserio New England concept. Shakir is underrated but explosive and yes the better WR prospect but my thoughts on Phillips is a surprise high end punt and kick returner. He also adds depth @ WR but really exciting special teams player, think he goes higher than this slot but if there I’d grab him. A lot of teams are emphasizing special teams more as deciding factors in all these high end match-ups.

My mistake using shortcut statement “not on my draft board” to simplify a prospects draft grade in comparison to perceived value, meaning because of tape and hype will be over drafted so I would pass. Now if he falls towards middle of 2nd to late 2nd his draft grade might be a fit, just not first or that early 2nd. And there is a big difference between Green and Zion. I would consider Zion has a blue chipper who could fill multiple positional needs and not just a box in the phone booth like Green.

Whether you agree or disagree with Strong that’s fine, would like you to suggest a better QB prospect in 3rd? Loved the Mills pick from the get go, despite bucking the negative backlash of using that pick on QB position rather than a higher graded position player. I knew Tyrod Taylor background well, was supposed to be the starter for Chargers season before and let Herbert develop. Never panned out, even worse in fact, so both rookie QB’s thrown into the fire.

Right now who is the Texans back-up QB? I’d use a 3rd again to develop and just in case, be able to step in and still run Pep’s offense.

I believe the Texans have both Jeff Driskel and Kyle Allen as backup QB’s for 2022. Allen and Driskel will be good for Mills this season. Texans will know more after this season as to what their QB needs would be entering 2023.

Whether you agree or disagree with Strong that’s fine, would like you to suggest a better QB prospect in 3rd?
I wouldn't take a QB in the 3rd. If you want a late round developmental guy to run the scout team, I like Cole Kelly out of SE Louisiana, 6'7" 250 lb transfer from Arkansas. Probably the biggest arm in the draft with a snap release. Very raw and would need a ton of development.
Right now who is the Texans back-up QB?
See post above.

I wouldn't take a QB in the 3rd. If you want a late round developmental guy to run the scout team, I like Cole Kelly out of SE Louisiana, 6'7" 250 lb transfer from Arkansas. Probably the biggest arm in the draft with a snap release. Very raw and would need a ton of development.

See post above.

might be really interesting if Texans use 13th pick on Treylon Burks both big dudes. Thought Texans moved Driscoll to TE? Forgot they acquired Kyle Allen.

Whether you agree or disagree with Strong that’s fine, would like you to suggest a better QB prospect in 3rd?
What's the purpose of this 3rd round QB?

Are we thinking he might be our franchise QB of the future in case Mills doesn't work out? If so, what separates him from a 1st round QB?

Don't get me wrong, Strong is my favorite QB in this class, but he's maybe, possibly, could be backup material.

Are we thinking, "We need a backup QB"? I'm not feeling a 3rd for a backup is prudent at this juncture.

might be really interesting if Texans use 13th pick on Treylon Burks both big dudes. Thought Texans moved Driscoll to TE? Forgot they acquired Kyle Allen.

Drake London and Treylon Burks are big, physical, possession receivers who win contested passes most of the time. Texans got this type of receiver last season in Nico Collins. All 3 are relatively good after the catch but do not possess the speed to take the top off defenses.

This is why I’ve been pushing for WR, Chris Olave (Ohio St). This guy is a route runner with speed that takes the top off defenses. Bring the receiver to the Texans and suddenly Collins becomes even more effective. His Combine 40 of 4.39 confirms what the eyes tell you based on his on-field production.

I wouldn’t stop there. I really like SWR, Danny Gray (SMU) since he to has proved to be effective on the field of play and has been projected at 4.34 in the 40. He might better this during his Pro Day. He could be available later in the draft and would give the Texans another speed weapon.

Weapons like Olave and Gray would open the field for Collins, the TE’s, and RB’s coming out of the backfield. Not to mention, it’s going to help the run game by keeping defenses honest and out of the habit of stacking the box.

What's the purpose of this 3rd round QB?

Are we thinking he might be our franchise QB of the future in case Mills doesn't work out? If so, what separates him from a 1st round QB?

Don't get me wrong, Strong is my favorite QB in this class, but he's maybe, possibly, could be backup material.

Are we thinking, "We need a backup QB"? I'm not feeling a 3rd for a backup is prudent at this juncture.

From a value and roster building perspective. Realize 3 roster spots for QB is bit much if you have a proven franchise but Mills is still work in progress. Allen is nothing more than clipboard/emergency back-up. Taking QB with starting upside and developing them is more than clipboard/emergency back-up, not only could he develop into your starter he adds value on roster to use as trade piece, maybe even 1st to a team unprepared. I don’t want to be unprepared do you?

Taking QB with starting upside and developing them is more than clipboard/emergency back-up, not only could he develop into your starter he adds value on roster to use as trade piece, maybe even 1st to a team unprepared. I don’t want to be unprepared do you?
Completely agree with philosophy. Don't agree on the QB. Possible starter is a long, long shot for Strong.

I'm thinking Tom Savage & I liked Tom Savage and think O'Brien screwed up his career.

If you're thinking Kirk Cousins I have no problem taking him in the 3rd.

He's fun to watch.

Completely agree with philosophy. Don't agree on the QB. Possible starter is a long, long shot for Strong.

I'm thinking Tom Savage & I liked Tom Savage and think O'Brien screwed up his career.

If you're thinking Kirk Cousins I have no problem taking him in the 3rd.

He's fun to watch.

you nailed it

I have virtually no idea what I'm doing.
I'm not a draftnik and don't know a lot about the prospects outside of the more well known ones.
But I thought it would be fun to look at trade possibilities on the simulator

This is what I came up with so far.
I don't think Neal would be there at #5, so the whole thing might be invalidated based on just that.

Go easy it's just for kicks. And unintentionally defense heavy.

4064050302bf163cfd9662aaf74baa70.jpg

Yeah, this is just too much fun, except that I don't know who any of these people are. I need to put together a TT Big Board or something and get to know the prospects... but I don't have time anymore.

pff_mock_results (5).png

This isn't based on reality but I'm here for it. Picked up a 2023 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

I need to cross reference these trade downs with a draft value chart. It's safe to say that these are very generous.

pff_mock_results (1).png

Here's another but this time I used a trade chart to ensure that it's plausible. My goal was to target edge in the second. I'm happy with the first half but the board didn't fall the way I expected after the Josh Jobe pick, which was a critical error on my part. Isaiah Spiller was on the board at 111 and I got gready thinking I could nab him at 124. It appears Spiller is falling down the boards post proday, though I'm curious come April when he goes. Round three or four seams about right.

pff_mock_results (2).png

I very strongly believe the Texans should trade down with one or both of the 1st round picks if possible, so I'm not really an advocate of this, yet it does have some appeal.

I realize we don't really need two tackles, but can you pass up the talent if it's there?

Anyone like this draft result?

3be4e5ab49e7d5bfef726f4a17cb381f.jpg

I very strongly believe the Texans should trade down with one or both of the 1st round picks if possible, so I'm not really an advocate of this, yet it does have some appeal.

I realize we don't really need two tackles, but can you pass up the talent if it's there?

Anyone like this draft result?

I agree that trading down is the most optimal but my sense is that this year is a buyers market mostly due to the underwhelming QB class.

This draft is one too many early o-line picks for my liking. Are you projecting Ekwonu at LG, Neal at RT, and either Parham or Howard at RG?

I would pass on Neal and draft another position at pick 7. Howard would be the RT.

Walker at 13 would be awesome. This is a great year for the Texans to bolster the trenches, which is exactly what you did.

Here's another but this time I used a trade chart to ensure that it's plausible. My goal was to target edge in the second. I'm happy with the first half but the board didn't fall the way I expected after the Josh Jobe pick, which was a critical error on my part. Isaiah Spiller was on the board at 111 and I got gready thinking I could nab him at 124. It appears Spiller is falling down the boards post proday, though I'm curious come April when he goes. Round three or four seams about right.

View attachment 9929

I like your draft. I think the only swap you’d need to make…Pitre to 35, 36, or 37 and Watson to 44.

Definitely not based in reality, see my post #281 above, where I was able to get 4 picks in the top 19, without trading any future picks

I managed to trade the #3 pick to the Ravens…..for their entire draft!!!!!! Never crossed my mind to see if any 2023 picks could’ve been added to the 2022 cache of picks.

Okay….I’m pretty happy with this Mock. Traded the #3 pick and it may make a lot of sense, when who they drafted in the Mock. I did trade Tunsil and Cooks.

1. Jets Get:
RD1-003
Texans Get:
RD1-010 / RD2-035 / RD3-069

Jets Draft: #003: OT- Ikem Ekwonu (NC ST) / #004: OT- Evan Neal (AL)

2. Seahawks Get:
LT- Laremy Tunsil
Texans Get:
RD2-040 / RD4-109 / 2023 RD2

3. Packers Get:
WR- Brandon Cooks / RD7-245
Texans Get:
RD2-053

Packers Draft: #245: OT- Nick ZaKelj (Fordham)

THE MOCK

RD1-010: LT- Trevor Penning (Northern Iowa)
RD1-013: LG- Zion Johnson (Boston College)

RD2-035: DL- Travis Jones (Connecticut)
RD2-037: WR- Christian Watson (North Dakota State)
RD2-040: RB- Breece Hall (Iowa State)
RD2-053: DE- Cameron Thomas (SDSU)

RD3-068: RG- Jamaree Salyer (Georgia)
RD3-069: SWR- Alec Pierce (Cincinnati)
RD3-080: FS- Nick Cross (Maryland)

RD4-107: CB- Zyon McCollum (Sam Houston State)
RD4-108: TE- Jeremy Ruckert (Ohio State)
RD4-109: SS- Sterling Weatherford (Miami-Ohio)

RD6-183: RB- Pierre Strong, Jr (South Dakota State)
RD6-205: OL- Ryan Van Demark (Connecticut)
RD6-207: RT- Andrew Stueber (Michigan)

**Alec Pierce is a 6-3 / 217 lb / 4.41-40 / Possession Receiver (SWR) who will also mix it up as a blocking receiver downfield while offering one heck of a mismatch as a SWR. Pairing him with Watson and Collins should be a healthy group.**

Every time I post one of these I feel like I have to include the disclaimer that I'm not a draftnik.
I do like this three rounder quite a bit though.
Although it's probably not very realistic

93d7455928730f5391e8a4c9377cc5f9.png

So.....I know ZERO about college football players. But I wanted try this mock draft simulator (addicting for sure) this is what I got for my first try.
Traded the #3 and #68 to the Jets for #4 and #35
#4 - Evan Neal OT- Alabama
#13 - Jordan Davis DT - Georgia
#35 - Roger McCreary CB - Auburn
#37 - Breece Hall RB - Iowa State
#80 - Jalyn Armour-Davis CB - Alabama
#107 - Isaiah Thomas - Edge - Oklahoma
#108 - Erik Ezukanma WR - Texas Tech
#183 - Thayer Munford OG - Ohio State
#205 - Vincent Gray CB - Michigan
#207 - Ali Fayad - Edge - Western Michigan
#245 - Thomas Booker DT - Stanford

Can't ever have enough CB's. I should have grabbed another WR but the one I wanted went right before my pick when I wanted him. Go easy on me, it's just for fun.

Went with SteelbTexan #1 pick OT Neal to solidify Mills protection opposite side from Tunsil. A true leader, plug and play CB, couple WR weapons & TE. Parham is a dominant guard, not that far behind Zion or Green. A knockout safety. Two upgrades @ RB, real nice complimentary together. Underrated edge from the Ohio State. Long, speed CB. Tackle who hasn’t given up a sack in three years and Texas kicker, Dicker to compete for starting role end of draft.

So.....I know ZERO about college football players. But I wanted try this mock draft simulator (addicting for sure) this is what I got for my first try.
Traded the #3 and #68 to the Jets for #4 and #35
#4 - Evan Neal OT- Alabama
#13 - Jordan Davis DT - Georgia
#35 - Roger McCreary CB - Auburn
#37 - Breece Hall RB - Iowa State
#80 - Jalyn Armour-Davis CB - Alabama
#107 - Isaiah Thomas - Edge - Oklahoma
#108 - Erik Ezukanma WR - Texas Tech
#183 - Thayer Munford OG - Ohio State
#205 - Vincent Gray CB - Michigan
#207 - Ali Fayad - Edge - Western Michigan
#245 - Thomas Booker DT - Stanford

Can't ever have enough CB's. I should have grabbed another WR but the one I wanted went right before my pick when I wanted him. Go easy on me, it's just for fun.
Did you know that Roger McCreary only has 28 7/8" long arms?

Went with SteelbTexan #1 pick OT Neal to solidify Mills protection opposite side from Tunsil. A true leader, plug and play CB, couple WR weapons & TE. Parham is a dominant guard, not that far behind Zion or Green. A knockout safety. Two upgrades @ RB, real nice complimentary together. Underrated edge from the Ohio State. Long, speed CB. Tackle who hasn’t given up a sack in three years and Texas kicker, Dicker to compete for starting role end of draft.

Solid top 4.

We can only hope Caserio does this well on his later rd picks.

Back