Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 OTA’s Mini Camp And Pre Season

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Did they have scavenger hunts? I hated scavenger hunts when I went to camp. In fact, I still won't talk about them.
Haha well, I will tell some of my bad camp experiences: powdered milk, no swimming in the deep end unless you knew official strokes, that one girl who was a total b, not enjoying archery, corny art projects, the showers being waaaaaay too cold. As for the rest of my issues, they are fixed, they are being fixed, bygones.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Re: Kenyon Green - FWIW I haven't heard anyone disappointed in his progress at this point. Particularly the people I trust on offensive line play. I don't hear everything of course, but I haven't seen with my own eyes anything concerning with him. He certainly looks like he belongs which isn't always the case with guys right out of school. He is what you would hope with a rookie you want to develop quickly and was drafted high.

Just generally, everything on the offensive line looks better to my eye, but part of that is the offensive scheme as a whole and the various stuff they do. Some red zone work they did got me legit camp happy. (I try not to get too hype in camp because game conditions are hard to replicate, particularly early, but then sometimes !!! happens and you can see what is possible for a moment).

I asked Mills a question about center play just because Lovie had already talked more about the other positions. Also, because Britt was coming off an injury, and I wanted to hear his views as the person who very much depends on quality center play:

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 7.55.15 PM.png

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Re: Kenyon Green - FWIW I haven't heard anyone disappointed in his progress at this point. Particularly the people I trust on offensive line play. I don't hear everything of course, but I haven't seen with my own eyes anything concerning with him. He certainly looks like he belongs which isn't always the case with guys right out of school. He is what you would hope with a rookie you want to develop quickly and was drafted high.

Just generally, everything on the offensive line looks better to my eye, but part of that is the offensive scheme as a whole and the various stuff they do. Some red zone work they did got me legit camp happy. (I try not to get too hype in camp because game conditions are hard to replicate, particularly early, but then sometimes !!! happens and you can see what is possible for a moment).

<snip>
Thanks for all this.

Where I am, I don't get much Houston Texan news, and most of the camp sort of news I get these days, I don't trust.

I've been really sad the past few years because I felt you were getting less and less enthusiastic about the team. Seeing some of your enthusiasm return makes me happy.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I asked Mills a question about center play just because Lovie had already talked more about the other positions. Also, because Britt was coming off an injury, and I wanted to hear his views as the person who very much depends on quality center play:

View attachment 10460
This is why I love this board. Quality posters like this with the great first hand information.

Thank you!

badboy

Hall of Fame

View attachment 10460
Steph, your opinion please: I heard (today) radio 610 play a repeat I heard Monday of Lovie saying Offensive line was a "strong" position this season and Smith mentioned everyone except Max Sharping. Mark Vanderbilt thought Max may be headed out door. This would surprise me due to his ability to play all 5. Also, are you as high on Charlie Heck and Deculus as I?

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Thanks for all this.

Where I am, I don't get much Houston Texan news, and most of the camp sort of news I get these days, I don't trust.

I've been really sad the past few years because I felt you were getting less and less enthusiastic about the team. Seeing some of your enthusiasm return makes me happy.
I got you. COVID made covering the team tough the last two years. Also, during the OB era and then some, it was hard not to be self-plagiarizing because too many things kept devolving into the football-absurd. (GM weirdness, assistants, roster composition, etc etc to full boredom). I only like to say things publicly when I can add understanding to a conversation. Don't want to be ugly about a situation when players who don't have full control over where they work risk their health and careers over a situation where things aren't about football.

If I don't understand stuff enough to believe it, or even explain it even if I disagree with it, then at some point, it is not healthy or a good use of my time to discuss it. I only started writing more publicly back in the day because few back then were and wanted more Texans talk, then I changed focus on my writing to help fill niches I felt I could help fans with during the available time I could do it. Lately, that role has been about just keeping an eye on camp for fans who can't until there are actual games. Keeping my hand in the game for times I could maybe help the Texans community.

Ultimately, it's about football. And if it isn't, there is no way I can help. Now it is about football again. I am infinitely enthusiastic talking football with football people.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So is the offense really clicking or does the defense suck???
This why practice against our own does nothing for me. It doesn't really tell you anything.
And PS games, these days, where the 1's hardly play, don't tell you much either.
To me, you could scrap all the PS games and just have scrimmages against teams 3 days a week or so. At least 1's are going against another teams 1's for more than just 10 plays in a PS game.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
This why practice against our own does nothing for me. It doesn't really tell you anything.
And PS games, these days, where the 1's hardly play, don't tell you much either.
To me, you could scrap all the PS games and just have scrimmages against teams 3 days a week or so. At least 1's are going against another teams 1's for more than just 10 plays in a PS game.
It could be a mix. I used to like joint practice. Even though it was controlled, but you could see your guys vs other guys just from a physical standpoint.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I totally see what you are saying but this camp it really is back and forth. It's exciting to me. They aren't doing a joint practice because they really do need to work on themselves a lot without too much distraction. I like joint camps a lot but yeah, the fighting is hard to deal with and they can be really disruptive to taking care of your own business. I understand their thinking this year.

We are not going to know what they are for a while. As I said in my preseason preview, uncertain isn't good or bad, it is just uncertain. I am fine with that.

There's been a lot of years where I could just look at the roster, know the coaching staff, see the schedule strength, and have certainty it was going to be bad. I have some position groups I am concerned with starters/depth but at the same time, the players are liking them some Pep in a way I have not seen. Where it doesn't seem inauthentic or expected to say it.

Personally, my favorite camps are grumble free. Like where you don't hear one thing on the field, and another thing from the grumble machine. Like I am not looking for grumbles. I want to see the good stuff. If things get so I hear grumbles, it is super grumbly, because that is not something I seek. I don't want leaks. And it isn't really leaks when things are bad, it is more people just factually saying what is happening and it makes you go WTF. Things feel good.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I think in camp, you break it down to the individual. To me, it's not does the D suck or the O suck...it's did Davis Mills place that ball perfectly, did the WR make an awesome cut or have some toe drag swag...or maybe the DB made a perfect break on the ball to break up the pass. Look at each individual in each team drill - the cream tends to rise toward the top. The wheat gets separated from the chaff. Nothing is won or lost this time of year but I think it gives you a general idea if your team is ascending or descending.

I have to say that for the first time since 2017 when you know who was a rookie, I feel it's in ascending mode. I don't know how that plays out in terms of record, but I am stoked about Pep's offense vs. that POS BOB ran. I just want to sit down on Sunday's and actually be entertained for 3 hours instead of cussing at my TV or shaking my head and laughing.

Dejaview

All Pro
Don’t worry about it DM. I can’t see what they are talking about but it is from the same people that write 249 pages of bs regarding DW’s lawsuit as if that has any more relevance to the betterment of humanity, lol.