Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 OTA’s Mini Camp And Pre Season

Mangler

Toro de España
I've always pulled for Lovie. I thought he got a bad rap when they fired him to keep Koetter. I hope he changes his overly conservative nature
Same here. I really believe Lovie and Caserio can build a great defense together, as they seem to be on the same page. If last year’s defense (damn near all JAGs) was able to generate that many interceptions, I can only imagine what they can do after adding a couple of good pass rushers and a legit shut down corner.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Same here. I really believe Lovie and Caserio can build a great defense together, as they seem to be on the same page. If last year’s defense (damn near all JAGs) was able to generate that many interceptions, I can only imagine what they can do after adding a couple of good pass rushers and a legit shut down corner.
And a guy who I think is going to be a great safety.

Porky

Hall of Fame
And a guy who I think is going to be a great safety.
Agree - Pitre is going to dish it out. I see a poor man's Honey Badger. He is going to be the best pick of this draft in 3 years imho.

As far as Lovie, it's all about the finished product. I like him a lot personally, as I did with Kubes. But at the end of the day it's all about the W's, especially starting next year. This year, I want to see some progress and I want to see a lot smarter in-game decision making. I do also worry he's too conservative for the modern era, but we'll see.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I know it's early so take with large salt grains, but I heard that Green isn't getting it done out there. Scharping MAY open the season at LG.

Note that it's VERY early, and he has the tools to be a stud. I'm not especially shocked or upset. He's got the physical tools to be dominate.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I know it's early so take with large salt grains, but I heard that Green isn't getting it done out there. Scharping MAY open the season at LG.

Note that it's VERY early, and he has the tools to be a stud. I'm not especially shocked or upset. He's got the physical tools to be dominate.
If true and Green cannot make starter in TC how will he in regular season?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I heard the same during the mini camp and dismissed it. I don't know. If there's one guy I thought would be ready out of the box, it's Kenyon Green.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Gotta win and he wasn't winning enough.
He inherited a a bad TB squad, was bad enough to draft Winston, went 6-10 and was fired so they wouldn't lose the oc Koetter. That made zero sense especially when Zac Taylor got a 3rd year after 2 terrible years with a young qb.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans QB Davis Mills says it is 'awesome' Lovie Smith would vote for him as team captain
Mark Lane

August 1, 2022 3:26 pm CT

Houston Texans coach Lovie Smith pushed his chips to the center of the table early in training camp when he told reporters that he would vote for Davis Mills as team captain.

The statement was bold given the fact the the former 2021 third-rounder from Stanford went 2-9 as a starter in his rookie season. Even though with the Texans giving Mills all of the first-team reps at quarterback, there is ambiguity as to whether he is worthy of being a team captain.

Mills believes that he just one of many leaders on the team.

“It’s awesome,” Mills told reporters after the third day of training camp Monday at Houston Methodist Training Center. “Obviously we still have a lot of time to go before captain voting, but I think I’ve worked hard. I know we have a lot of guys, though, that have stepped up and been leading the team. I don’t know if I can pinpoint it entirely on myself, but that’s an honor.”

If Mills were to be a team captain, it would be a sign of the growth he has undertaking in 2022. What the Texans would need is for their captain to excel in the role and help Houston get back to playing competitive football on a weekly basis.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
For those concerned about the progress of Kenyon Green:

There were a couple of really strong one-on-one pass protection reps for rookie Kenyon Green. I feel like I've watched Kenyon forever dating to his days in high school and he didn't look much different as a Texan. He did miss on a run block later when he pulled across and didn't come under control to block the edge defender. Overall, the youngster is making progress.
Sounds like he's not keeping up with run blocking schemes, which wouldn't be a huge concern at this point.

Last edited:

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps

Stingley went through a full practice for the first time.

After he made a mistake during drills and scrimmages, cornerbacks coach Dino Vasso pulled Stingley to the side for what appeared to be additional coaching and tips. He and Vasso had a lengthy conversation after Stingley lost his one-on-one battle against Brandin Cooks. Cooks then took a moment to work with Stingley during a post-practice workout.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Where's Zshawn been? He used to always beat us to posting these.

The prospect of Pierce winning the starting job becomes more realistic.

After posting a league-low 3.4 yards per carry in 2021, the Texans are trying everything in their power to upgrade the run game. So far, fourth-round rookie Dameon Pierce has been the team's most consistent rusher throughout practice.
Addison doing what he was brought here to do. Owns may see an increased role at safety. Our new TE makes his debut for his practice squad tryout.

- Veteran defensive lineman Mario Addison continues to make plays. During team drills, the former Buffalo Bills star made two tackles behind the line of scrimmage and recorded what would have been a sack against Mills. Addison and fellow Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes have worked in reps with the first-team defense, along with third-year pro-Jonathan Greenard.

- Rookie Jalen Pitre continues to work first-team defense at safety, but Owens also has seen the most reps with the first team. He worked with what is considered to be the starting secondary during seven-on-seven and two-minute drills, recording two pass breakups. Smith has been high on his development since last season.

- Rookie tight end Teagan Quitoriano (knee) has been cleared to practice starting Tuesday. In a corresponding move, the Texans have released quarterback Kevin Hogan.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Andre watching intently from the sideline. Either he's just a superfan or he's consulting someone, maybe a receiver.

1659409916656.png

zshawn10

All Pro
Where's Zshawn been? He used to always beat us to posting these.

The prospect of Pierce winning the starting job becomes more realistic.

Addison doing what he was brought here to do. Owns may see an increased role at safety. Our new TE makes his debut for his practice squad tryout.
Too busy in the Deshaun section

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Here are a few more twitter names of analysts and content creators who have been watching camp closely in no particular order than me just trying to think off the top of my head who is out there regularly that I haven't already seen in a quick review this thread. Some years camp is held at times where more or less can attend but these are some people who are pretty consistently out there, have thoughts worth exploring. A lot more juice in this year's camp for sure. I am going to write some stuff in a bit when I can find a moment.
@JaysonBraddock
@kimydavis
@MrColeThompson
@BKubena
@jonmalexander
@ApolloTexans
@CotyDavis_24
@brandonkscott
@AdamJWexler
@AaronWilson_NFL
@MarkBermanFox26
And pretty much all the 610 guys

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
It may just be my bad memory, but for years now it seems the defense has been ahead of offense early in camp. From every report I've read, the offense is either on par or ahead of the defense this year. Hopefully it's a good sign.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I'm gonna do a little bit of driveby old school Texas talk.

Looks like a legit camp. Some team period, offense puts it on them and vice versa. A lot of give and take. Competition.

Key thing is:
1. Normal. Professional. Really working hard to keep guys off the ground. Being smart about reps. Working hard, but smart hard. Respecting players.
2. None of the rookies look out of place. Some years you can't say that. One of the things about this camp is you can understand why guys are on the roster, see it on the field. This was a great day of practice.
3. A lot of camp things that were setting me off last year and made it such I didn't want to talk about them publicly, have been fixed. Lovie is getting his opportunity, wants to own it his way, is owning it. Collaborative and confident in a way that makes football sense. Lots of little things you don't normally notice unless they are being done poorly.