Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2022 NFL PLAYOFFS

And it decided the game.
I'm not saying you're wrong but the Chiefs weren't stopping Allen either. The game was decided by the flip of that coin.
i expect that rule to eventually be changed
both teams should get a fair shot at a TD
Yes.. I wonder how many OT's this game would have gone if both teams get an equal shot.
The type of game, it’s a shame the other team doesn’t get a chance to answer.
another stupid rule! Lol…. But that’s for another day. What a weekend of football. Just wow…

Another rule that we can argue about. Maybe we should start a thread just for talking about what rules we want to see changed.

that's what i love most about baseball, it's all been considered
ground rule double, infield fly & everything else*

football is still evolving

*exception for the inevitable use of tennis' cyclops for the strike zone

I'm not saying you're wrong but the Chiefs weren't stopping Allen either. The game was decided by the flip of that coin.
Wrong.

Love how people try to narrow the blame down to one single moment. The game wasn't decided by a damn coin flip. The game was decided by a team that made a mistake kicking it through the end zone and by a top notch defense that forgot how to defense, among a thousand other things that took place in that game.

I'm good with giving each team the ball if there's a FG as it doesn't take much to get into FG range. But rewarding a team by giving them another chance when their defense gives up a TD? Enough already. Defense is a part of this game too. Want a chance to have the ball in OT? Make a play on D.

A QB gets “grazed” on the helmet. Persona foul, defense. Automatic 1st down for the offense.
A debatable DPI call, offense gets an automatic 1st down spot foul.
A WR gets clocked in the head on a pass play. A legit persona foul. Yes, the ball hit the ground before the hit, but by a blink of the eye. Defense keeps the ball. It’s just a bad rule.
Enforce it from the LOS. 15 yards. It was 4th and 14 at the time. And I think the spot foul for DPI is stupid too. It should be 15 yds from LOS.

I know the rule and understand the call. Just think it is wrong and should be changed.That’s all
I like the PI spot foul. It stops rewarding guys that get beat deep and are bailed out by tackling a wr and only getting a 15 yd penalty.

Wrong.

Love how people try to narrow the blame down to one single moment. The game wasn't decided by a damn coin flip. The game was decided by a team that made a mistake kicking it through the end zone and by a top notch defense that forgot how to defense, among a thousand other things that took place in that game.

I'm good with giving each team the ball if there's a FG as it doesn't take much to get into FG range. But rewarding a team by giving them another chance when their defense gives up a TD? Enough already. Defense is a part of this game too. Want a chance to have the ball in OT? Make a play on D.
So you don't like teams getting equal chances to win?

I like the new college ot rules.

On the rule about the ball hitting the ground, you have to decide at what point is the play done with and not being able to catch a ball legally is a reasonable spot. I like the fact the officials don't have to make a judgement, we get enough of that as it is.

Wrong.

Yes, there were plenty of opportunities for the Bills to win that game. All they had to do was stop Kansas City for 13 seconds and they couldn't do that. I don't disagree with that. My only point was whoever won that coin flip was going to win that game. I don't think Kansas City was going to stop the Bills from scoring a TD either.

Reactions: JB
Yes, there were plenty of opportunities for the Bills to win that game. All they had to do was stop Kansas City for 13 seconds and they couldn't do that. I don't disagree with that. My only point was whoever won that coin flip was going to win that game. I don't think Kansas City was going to stop the Bills from scoring a TD either.

I mean, that’s just the risk you take not winning it in regulation. I can’t verify the numbers TK quoted, but I’d bet it’s pretty close, if not closer. Seems I looked that up a few years ago, before the OT changed to what it is now, and the team winning the toss won something like 54-56%. And some of that included both teams having a possession.

The Bills gave it up with 13 seconds left. I don’t think they should automatically get a 2nd chance in OT just because they lost the coin flip because of that. And not making a stop in OT on top of that. Like I said, it’s the chance you take not winning in regulation.

I don't think they should even have overtime in the regular season. If it's a tie, it's a ******* tie. For the playoffs, there's better ways than the NFL is doing it.
I don't think there's much that can be done to make it better. If you want to eliminate the randomness of a coin flip, go by who has the most 1st downs, or total yards or something. And I certainly don't want to see the gimmicky crap they do in college.

I mean, right now, people are up in arms about both teams not getting a possession. Well, where does it stop? If both teams get a possession and neither team scores, and Team A gets a 2nd possession and wins the game, well, how come team B doesn't get a 2nd possession?

Other than maybe the coin flip, I think it's just fine like it is. At first I was opposed to the change they made to what it is now, but it's just too damn easy in this pass happy, all the rules bent towards the offense, to get into FG range. So I'm good with it now. But defense is a part of this game too. Make a stop.

But defense is a part of this game too. Make a stop.
Agreed. I don’t believe your team should take the field if you allow a 75 yard TD drive. 75 yards.

The Bills couldn’t prevent the Chiefs from scoring inside of 13 seconds. That was their chance to win the game.

I don't think there's much that can be done to make it better. If you want to eliminate the randomness of a coin flip, go by who has the most 1st downs, or total yards or something. And I certainly don't want to see the gimmicky crap they do in college.

I mean, right now, people are up in arms about both teams not getting a possession. Well, where does it stop? If both teams get a possession and neither team scores, and Team A gets a 2nd possession and wins the game, well, how come team B doesn't get a 2nd possession?

Other than maybe the coin flip, I think it's just fine like it is. At first I was opposed to the change they made to what it is now, but it's just too damn easy in this pass happy, all the rules bent towards the offense, to get into FG range. So I'm good with it now. But defense is a part of this game too. Make a stop.

Make the kickers win the game in a showdown of FG’s. Start at the 30 yard line, 40 yard line, 42 yard line, 44 yard line, etc until someone misses. Oh, there would be no TO’s to try and freeze the kicker…..now let’s get it on!!!! OT should be over fairly quickly with no ties. Of course, the Titans would be screaming bloody murder over this rule change b/c they’d have to rely on Fat Randy. Texans might be in the same boat.

Being a Chiefs fan and damn glad they won yesterday but had the Bills won the coin toss they very possibly would have got a TD just as the Chiefs did,
so I can understand the disappointment and frustrations of Bills fans.
Both QBs are of course tremendous talents and athletes, but the way it's goin the Bills are gonna get Allen really banged-up, I mean really screwed up,
OK so I'm talking the way Alex Smith was screwed-up.
If you've ever seen any old video of college ball when they use to run a formation called the single-wing, it reminds me of how the Bills often use Allen
because they snap the ball directly to him (he's the tailback in the S-W) and he takes off running, sometimes directly up into the middle of the los.
Allen is a big tough dude, but he's often running into a pile of bigger, sometimes substantially bigger guys.

Just no on the college overtime in the NFL. It goes on way too long in some games and you can't claim you want the players to be safe and have them playing 35-40 extra snaps. Its fine as it is if you can't stop a team from driving 80yds on you I don't think you deserve to win.

I mean, that’s just the risk you take not winning it in regulation. I can’t verify the numbers TK quoted, but I’d bet it’s pretty close, if not closer. Seems I looked that up a few years ago, before the OT changed to what it is now, and the team winning the toss won something like 54-56%. And some of that included both teams having a possession.

The Bills gave it up with 13 seconds left. I don’t think they should automatically get a 2nd chance in OT just because they lost the coin flip because of that. And not making a stop in OT on top of that. Like I said, it’s the chance you take not winning in regulation.

There appears to be a huge discrepancy in the postseason, but in the regular season since they changed the OT rule to what it is now, there's been 163 OT games. Winner of the toss is 86-67-10. That's a 52.8% win percentage. So, yeah, much closer than TK's 60/40 estimate. And I don't know what the stats are for how many of those 86 wins came after the 1st possession, but even if it came on the 2nd, 3rd, or however many possessions, they will have still had 1 more possession than the loser of the toss.

So, I don't know what people are wanting to change it to, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. At least in the regular season. Why it's so lopsided in the postseason, I don't know.

How about they just play a full 15 minute quarter, regardless of who scores or how many times? Seems like that would be the only way to resolve the equal possessions issue. But then that's even more snaps for players who have already been hit with a 17th game and extended playoffs. So that player "safety" thing comes up.

Just no on the college overtime in the NFL. It goes on way too long in some games and you can't claim you want the players to be safe and have them playing 35-40 extra snaps. Its fine as it is if you can't stop a team from driving 80yds on you I don't think you deserve to win.

They've changed it.

1 drive if both teams score a TD they can go for 1 or 2 pts.

After that if they both score the teams have to try for 2 pts. It's really shortened the game.

Just go with a 10 minute period, and whoever has the lead at the end is the winner. Still tied? Another 10 minutes.

Just go with a 10 minute period, and whoever has the lead at the end is the winner. Still tied? Another 10 minutes.

Not a bad idea.

Or, both teams gets to touch the ball and FGs are not allowed.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the current system. The Bills only had to defend for 13 freakin' seconds. Play DEFENSE.

I'm not convinced that given a chance on offense that the Bills would have won. Once the Chiefs got it again in OT, they'd just set up a FG to win.

Make the kickers win the game in a showdown of FG’s. Start at the 30 yard line, 40 yard line, 42 yard line, 44 yard line, etc until someone misses. Oh, there would be no TO’s to try and freeze the kicker…..now let’s get it on!!!! OT should be over fairly quickly with no ties. Of course, the Titans would be screaming bloody murder over this rule change b/c they’d have to rely on Fat Randy. Texans might be in the same boat.

I think this would be awesome. Take one of the lower less glorified positions and make more impactful.

It may create more global appeal as well.

Not a bad idea.

Or, both teams gets to touch the ball and FGs are not allowed.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the current system. The Bills only had to defend for 13 freakin' seconds. Play DEFENSE.

I'm not convinced that given a chance on offense that the Bills would have won. Once the Chiefs got it again in OT, they'd just set up a FG to win.

The Bills should've tackled all of the receiver on the snap of the ball and made Mahomes run with the ball. That would've used up 6/7 seconds. If they take the penalty it's a 5 yd penalty.

The Bills should've tackled all of the receiver on the snap of the ball and made Mahomes run with the ball. That would've used up 6/7 seconds. If they take the penalty it's a 5 yd penalty.

Yep. I think the moment just got too big for the Bills defense, especially when you hear the Mic'd Up footage of Mahomes and Kelce basically playing sandlot football with how they were going to dice up the coverage. That was impressive and shows part of the reason why they are in their fourth AFC championship game in a row.

This says it all.
Depends. It doesn’t say whether the losing team ever had possession.

both teams score field goals, then it goes to sudden death. The winning team is most likely going to be the team that won the toss.

What I’d like to see is a stat showing how many OT games end on the 1st possession.

Well, Draftkings has the total sacks in the game at 5.5 with the under being the favorite at -120 (over -110). I'd definitely lay something on the over if I could.
Heck yeah. Burrow will be sacked 5 times himself in the 1st half.

If I'm Cincinnati I am extremely grateful that KC didn't score during half time.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did, but grateful they didn't

Back