Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 draft eligible QBs - General Discussion

Halftime and like with other quarterbacks in the first game I am not impressed with Corral. On a side note four player ejections is that a record?

Edit

I post that and then he makes a good play with receiver making a good catch on the sideline

Halftime and like with other quarterbacks in the first game I am not impressed with Corral. On a side note four player ejections is that a record?

Edit

I post that and then he makes a good play with receiver making a good catch on the sideline
So far I have been impressed, like his leadership qualities. I don't think Ole Miss has punted, Corral has led team to score with every possession and hasn't thrown a TD pass.

IMHO after week 1 Matt Corral is the most polished QB I witnessed. This opinion is based primarily on his leadership qualities. I also like his arm and his decision making. Desmond Ridder is runner up. Corral did quite well against Alabama last year also.

PFF College

@PFF_College

·
17m

Matt Corral vs Louisville:
Large blue diamond
22-32
Large blue diamond
436 Total Yards
Large blue diamond
2 TDs

Last edited:
IMHO after week 1 Matt Corral is the most polished QB I witnessed. This opinion is based primarily on his leadership qualities. I also like his arm and his decision making. Desmond Ridder is runner up. Corral did quite well against Alabama last year also.

PFF College
@PFF_College

·
17m

Matt Corral vs Louisville:
Large blue diamond
22-32
Large blue diamond
436 Total Yards
Large blue diamond
2 TDs
That Alabama game was crazy.
Some 1,300 yards of total offense combined.

MC is a tough guy to evaluate in that offense; you just don't know how it will translate into the pro.

MC is a tough guy to evaluate in that offense; you just don't know how it will translate into the pro.
I said the same thing from the get go, hard to evaluate since everything evolves from a RPO. Still it doesn't prevent from seeing how team responds to his leadership, his accuracy, arm angles, leads his WRs and his decision making. BTW his 2020 season makes him worthy of consideration.

I said the same thing from the get go, hard to evaluate since everything evolves from a RPO. Still it doesn't prevent from seeing how team responds to his leadership, his accuracy, arm angles, leads his WRs and his decision making. BTW his 2020 season makes him worthy of consideration.
I went back and took a look at some of his INTs, specifically in the Arkansas and the LSU games.
I have a better feel for him now.

The Arkansas game was maybe his sixth career start, and early in the 2020 season (the 4th game, after the loss to Alabama).
For the most part, he was trying to do too much.
A couple weren't his fault, or not entirely his fault.
And sometimes, a defender just play well on a particular play.
Same thing in the LSU game.
By this time, his defense would have been somewhere around 110th plus in points allowed.
I can see why Corral may feel like he needs to make things happen all the time.

I'm more impressed with his game against the 5th ranked Gators in week 1 than the game against the Tides in week 3.

That was one of the game I saw the fewest RPO plays (I think).

The guy has got game.

I'll throw his hat into the ring.

Let's see if he improves his decision making this year.
If he does, I definitely see him as a first round talent.

Strong is accurate when protected.

He was under quite a bit of duress. The knee thing worries me.

He does have weapons though. Doubs is a guy I would like to see the Texans draft in the 3rd/4th rd. Their TE is solid too.

Strong did nothing that would make me move him from my QB #1 ranking.
I'll go back and take a longer look at Strong some time during the year.
What didn't excite me was the competition he faced last year.
Seems like he didn't see much pressure as compared to some of the other guys.
He does have an arm, that's for sure.

Kedon Slovis played well in his opening game.
Look to me he played one of the cleanest games this week (if not the cleanest).
I don't think there was even an uncatchable ball (not counting the sort like the batted pass) from him.

If you look for an upgrade from Matt Schaub, I think this is the guy.
More mobile, stronger arm, more poise in the pocket, good maneuvering.
We'll see if he keeps up the good plays.

He's definitely better than Schaub at the same age; that's for sure.

So far I have been impressed, like his leadership qualities. I don't think Ole Miss has punted, Corral has led team to score with every possession and hasn't thrown a TD pass.
Just want more than that in a 1.1 pick. He and others have long way to go. *Rattler was getting no love on 610 this morning.

If I get a franchise type QB in top 5 of draft. I'm building my offense around him. I'm oky with RPO but not with most QBs.

If I get a franchise type QB in top 5 of draft. I'm building my offense around him. I'm oky with RPO but not with most QBs.
Well, I'm OK with that too, but you will need to tell the brass down at Kirby. :brando:

That said, Corral looks really smooth out of center on the one play I saw.
His roll out from single back shotgun is also smooth.

They have concepts with two backs from the shotgun as well so I don't think Corral is limited by the offense he's been playing.

Watson had some similar concepts; so did Mahomes.

Is it too soon to hold out for Arch Manning? Just keep trading out the first for a first the following year?

I am willing to wait.

I’m definitely keeping an eye on several.

Strong is intriguing as well as Ridder. A guy that I think is flying under the radar is Phil Jurkovec the QB for BC. He had 303 TDs and 3 TD. Granted it was versus Colgate, but nonetheless I will keep my eye on him too.
If we are set in taking a QB in 2022 my top 5 are:

1 Ridder
2 Willis
3 Strong
4 Jurkovec
5 Slovis

There is just something I don't like about Rattler. I'm also not a Howell fan. If we get a top 10 pick, I'd prefer to trade down and get one of the guys above if we still plan on picking a QB. Honestly, if one of these shows to be a can't miss QB, and falls to us after we trade down, I'll take him, but my preference is to fill our other holes, and worry about a QB in 2023.

1 Ridder
2 Willis
3 Strong
4 Jurkovec
5 Slovis

There is just something I don't like about Rattler. I'm also not a Howell fan. If we get a top 10 pick, I'd prefer to trade down and get one of the guys above if we still plan on picking a QB. Honestly, if one of these shows to be a can't miss QB, and falls to us after we trade down, I'll take him, but my preference is to fill our other holes, and worry about a QB in 2023.
Having said that, I would probably move Strong to the bottom until he proves that the knee is 100%, and not an issue.

Having said that, I would probably move Strong to the bottom until he proves that the knee is 100%, and not an issue.

Strong's knee is fine.

He hurt it his SR yr in highschool and it hasn't been an issue in college.

1 Ridder
2 Willis
3 Strong
4 Jurkovec
5 Slovis

At this time last year, most people didn't even know who Davis Mills is.
And he was going in his 4th year in college. (He had a RS year).

Some of the prospects coming out this year are underclassmen, and plenty of people know about them already.

Some of these underclassmen will likely be picked higher than Mills was.
(And that was with many QBs being drafted high already in the last couple of years.)

At this time last year, most people didn't even know who Davis Mills is.
And he was going in his 4th year in college. (He had a RS year).

Some of the prospects coming out this year are underclassmen, and plenty of people know about them already.

Some of these underclassmen will likely be picked higher than Mills was.
(And that was with many QBs being drafted high already in the last couple of years.)
I'm sure Rattler will come out in 2022. I think he would be better served by staying in school another year. However, if he's the projected #1 pick, he almost assuredly will come out after this season.

I think the underclassmen that come out after this season, will do so because there appears to be fewer QBs to challenge them in the 2022 draft versus the 2023 draft. They probably feel they will have a better chance of getting drafted higher if they come out early. And of course, they want to have less chance of getting hurt before they get paid.

In Rattlers case, several OU fans have said that Rattler was outplayed by the freshman in their Spring game. So, Rattler may not even win the starting job if he stays another season.

I'm sure Rattler will come out in 2022. I think he would be better served by staying in school another year. However, if he's the projected #1 pick, he almost assuredly will come out after this season.

I think the underclassmen that come out after this season, will do so because there appears to be fewer QBs to challenge them in the 2022 draft versus the 2023 draft. They probably feel they will have a better chance of getting drafted higher if they come out early. And of course, they want to have less chance of getting hurt before they get paid.

In Rattlers case, several OU fans have said that Rattler was outplayed by the freshman in their Spring game. So, Rattler may not even win the starting job if he stays another season.
You're saying the Texans should wait for the freshman?

No. All I'm saying is that some OU fans don't think Rattler is the best QB on the roster. I'm actually leaning towards a QB in 2023 unless Mills turns out to be a stud. Honestly, I think Mills ends up being a long term backup/sometime starter like Fitzpatrick.
I'll mark him as one QB to watch.
Thanks for the head up.

Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss vs Austin Peay SEC Network 6:30PM (all times eastern)

Desmond Ridder, QB Cin vs Murray State, 3: 30PM ESPN +

Sam Howell, QB, NC vs Georgia State, 6:30PM RSN

Spencer Rattler, QB OK vs Western Carolina 12:00N TV?

Kedon Slovis, QB, USC vs Stanford, 9:30PM FOX

Carson Strong, QB Nevada vs Idaho State, 9:30PM TV: Stadium?

JT Daniels, QB Georgia vs. UAB, 3:30PM ESPN2

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty vs. Troy, 6:00PM, ESPN +

Some layup games for the top rated QB prospects.

Last edited:

Any of these guys over 6'4"?

Slovis had a better game than his stats indicated.
A TD pass was easily dropped.
Another one didn't materialize because the defender had to resort to commit PI.

The INT was on a throw that turned London around (not accurate), but still, the WR let the ball go through his hands.

He had a long ball dropped by the receiver.

Also, USC fans have been calling for the HC's head at least for 2 years now.

His offense looks as stale as OB.
It requires too much on the receiver to beat his man, which doesn't happen enough.

Even when you watch the highlights, you won't see the receivers wide open as often as with other high octane offenses.

Last edited:
WEEK 2

PassingCompAttPctYdsY/ATDIntSackYdsLQBRat
Malik Willis131872.21548.620528180.8
Matt Corral213363.6%2815 TDs0 INTs2 sacks185.2 QBR
Sam Howell212972.4%3523 TDs0 INTs2 sacks208. QBR
Spencer Rattler202676.9%2435 TDs0 INTs1 Sack218.9 QBR
Kedon Slovis274264.3%2231TD1 INT0 sack112.0 QBR
Desmond Ridder142263.6%2432 TDs0 INT2 Sacks186.4 QBR
Carson Strong344379.1%3814 TDs0 INT0 sack184.2 QBR
JT Daniel Injured - DNP
Thanks for the stats format. I love how easy it is to make comparisons.

As forewarned, the USC head coach just got fired.
Wouldn't it be hilariuos if Urban Myer pulled a mini Nick Saban and bolted for USC.

Among current NFL head coaches, Jacksonville’s Urban Meyer is the most likely to be mentioned in association with the USC job.

I wouldn't be surprised if USC wanted to include Tom Herman in their search. I just don't get how Herman and Sumlin leave UH where they have high flying offenses with 1-3 star players....then get to A&M and the Longhorns where the door for 4-5 star players should've been flung open and while signing that kind of talent.....just never seem to get their offenses on track. If Herman was willing to go with his high flying offense I'm sure there'd be plenty of those CA HS QB's who'd like the opportunity to play with USC.

Stanford's Tanner McKee looked much better in week 2. Going 16-23 234 yds 2 TDs - 0 INTs with 1 rushing TD in Stanford's 42-28 win at USC. Probably won't come out in 2022 draft, but someone to keep an eye on.

Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma vs Nebraska, Sat, Sep 18, 11:00 AM CDT on Fox

Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati @Indiana, Sat, Sep 18, 11:00 AM CDT on ESPN

Carson Strong, Nevada @ Kansas St, Sat, Sep 18, 1:00 PM CDT on ESP+

Kedon Slovis, USC @ Washington St, Sat, Sep 18, 2:30 PM CDT on Fox

Malik Willis Liberty vs Old Dominion, Sat, Sep 18, 5:00 PM CDT on ESP3

JT Daniel Georgia vs South Carolina, Sat, Sep 18, 6:00 PM CDT on ESPN (may not play, injured)

Sam Howell, North Carolina vs Virginia, Sat, Sep 18, 6:30 PM CDT on ACCN

Matt Corral Ole Miss vs Tulane, Sat, Sep 18, 7:00 PM CDT on ESN2

Back