Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2021 Texans Schedule

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans will not have #1 pick in 2022. They will manage a 3-14 record. Long season, injury’s will be a thing, for every team. Mills will be the starting QB sooner than later. Watson will be traded and Texans will have multiple 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks :wesmantexanfan:
Something like this is what I think will happen. I see them winning 4-5 games. Other teams will have injuries too, QB's will miss games etc...

Hopefully Mills shows he can become a franchise QB and they get that kind of haul for the Pervert. Then Caserio will have the draft capital to rebulid the team in his vision.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Tampa 2 will allow Blacklock to return to his natural attacking style of play which he was so good at playing for TCU.
I'm not putting too much stock in Lovie's Tampa 2. It's been a while since he coached it & longer still since he's been good at it.

So far, history has shown it was his players that made his Tampa 2 special. & without those players, he's coached bad to mediocre defenses.

Texian

Hall of Fame
A 3-14 record would give the Texans a very good chance at the #1 pick.
I'm not sure how people can rationalize a 4 to 5 win season with DW4, JJ Watt and Fuller now gone from the last year's 4 win team. I see it as being light on rationale and very heavy on Wishing and Hoping.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not sure how people can rationalize a 4 to 5 win season with DW4, JJ Watt and Fuller now gone from the last year's 4 win team. I see it as being light on rationale and very heavy on Wishing and Hoping.
We see last year's 4 wins as an underachievment that was beyond those players control.

We should have won eight at the very least.

Stability in the FO & Coaching staff should help focus the players to do their job, & leave the comedy routine for the off-season.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
A 3-14 record would give the Texans a very good chance at the #1 pick.
3-14 could get the 1st pick, but I would imagine with a 17 game schedule and only 3 wins to show for it, you'd at least get the 1st or 2nd pick. Either way, if need be, there'll be a QB available. That logic starts to fall apart with four wins or more. LOL

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Some of that has to do with the joyous end of the O'Brien era. Some of it has to do with keeping a stiff upper lip during the Watson saga. Some of it is just denial.

But, that optimism is ignoring many factors. The complete restructure. The lack of talent. And that the Texans will face one of the most difficult schedules in the league. Eight 2020 playoff teams, which does not include the Dolphins, Patriots, Chargers, Niners, and Cardinals. The Texans are unlikely to pickup their annual 2 wins vs. the Jags. All of that will be enough the wipe off the seemingly permanent smiles from Culley and Easterby's faces.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Some of that has to do with the joyous end of the O'Brien era. Some of it has to do with keeping a stiff upper lip during the Watson saga. Some of it is just denial.

But, that optimism is ignoring many factors. The complete restructure. The lack of talent. And that the Texans will face one of the most difficult schedules in the league. Eight 2020 playoff teams, which does not include the Dolphins, Patriots, Chargers, Niners, and Cardinals. The Texans are unlikely to pickup their annual 2 wins vs. the Jags. All of that will be enough the wipe off the seemingly permanent smiles from Culley and Easterby's faces.
If the Texans do not win their first game, Jags at Home, then it is doubtful they can win any remaining games in 2021.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've counted 5 winnable games

Both Jaguars games

Jets
Panthers
Patriots

Strong possibilities winnable games

49ers
Chargers
Dolphins
I think the Patriots game is a real "sleeper" for the Texans in terms of a possible unexpected win:
The Pats will be home the weekend before our game when they entertain the SB Champs Bucs & former Pats QB TB on Sunday night & national TV which should be a very emotional game for them so the following week thy travel here and are likely be "down" for that game.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I think the Jets game later in the year is more winnable.
Teams with new high profile head coaches who have hired top notch coaching staffs usually gel in the 2nd half the year and perform much better than the first half. The players have bought into the system and are playing for their jobs in 2022. The question remains is Saleh going to be that head coach. Behind Meyer, Saleh was the most coveted. As for the Texans they really don't have a system to buy into and as the oldest team in the league most will be doing just enough to cash their check. By the time the 2nd half gets here and knowing a new coaching staff will be here next year, Texans players will be mailing it in. JMHO

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Teams with new high profile head coaches who have hired top notch coaching staffs usually gel in the 2nd half the year and perform much better than the first half. The players have bought into the system and are playing for their jobs in 2022. The question remains is Saleh going to be that head coach. Behind Meyer, Saleh was the most coveted. As for the Texans they really don't have a system to buy into and as the oldest team in the league most will be doing just enough to cash their check. By the time the 2nd half gets here and knowing a new coaching staff will here next year, Texans players will be mailing it in. JMHO
Mike LaFleur has been with Kyle Shanahan since the Falcons, running the WCO with the ZBS.

Guess what Zach Wilson ran at BYU?
The WCO with a ZBS.

That was why they drafted him.
They also brought RB Tevin Coleman over from the Niners as a scheme fit.

Also, 4 of their linemen have had fairly extensive experience in the zone scheme.

That team should be fairly well in sync by then with Saleh running the defense.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Teams with new high profile head coaches who have hired top notch coaching staffs usually gel in the 2nd half the year and perform much better than the first half. The players have bought into the system and are playing for their jobs in 2022. The question remains is Saleh going to be that head coach. Behind Meyer, Saleh was the most coveted. As for the Texans they really don't have a system to buy into and as the oldest team in the league most will be doing just enough to cash their check. By the time the 2nd half gets here and knowing a new coaching staff will here next year, Texans players will be mailing it in. JMHO
So you think Culley and staff will only be on Kirby for 1 yr?

I think they will be on Kirby for atleast 2 yrs, maybe even 3 yrs.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So you think Culley and staff will only be on Kirby for 1 yr?

I think they will be on Kirby for atleast 2 yrs, maybe even 3 yrs.
Why? I thought 21 was a throw away year. Starting over after 2 or 3 years sounds like an exercise in futility. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
So I consulted the Crystal Ball this morning. Sorry to say it is going to be a very long dark and dismal next 5 years for Texans fans. However there is good news. Come 2025 Nick Caserio, Jack Easterby and the McNair Family will all be gone. The new owner will exorcise all things New England and hire a GM and/or HC that is a true leader and knows how to WIN more than most. And with the 1st pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, The Houston Texans select QB Arch Manning from Clemson.
There’s Believed To Be 1 ‘Early Leader’ For Arch Manning (msn.com)

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
would also add for the Texans, having the first overall pick has been more of a curse than blessing.
It's something this franchise will likely have to deal with, once again. Not just me saying it. The Athletic just ranked both the offense and the defense as the worst units in the NFL. That may have never happened before.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
would also add for the Texans, having the first overall pick has been more of a curse than blessing.
Carr, Mario Williams and J. Clowney are our three number 1 draft picks, and none turned out as expected. About half, if not more, of all number 1 picks (any team) in the NFL haven't been worth their pick position in the draft anyways.

Counting on humans to live up to expectations is never a winning choice in any area of life, let alone the NFL.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's something this franchise will likely have to deal with, once again. Not just me saying it. The Athletic just ranked both the offense and the defense as the worst units in the NFL. That may have never happened before.
I wonder what criteri they’re using.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
From 2020?
Not going to subscribe to Football Outsiders just for this exercise so can only surmise that it’s mostly based off 2020 metrics, free agent additions/subtractions and net draft impact.
Texans Defense last year, with Watt was ranked 30th. Offense w/Deshaun 13th.
New, First time Head Coach and new staff (with exception of OC Tim Kelly). Seems completely fair projection so Texans you have your bulletin board material, prove them wrong if you don’t like it.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Not going to subscribe to Football Outsiders just for this exercise so can only surmise that it’s mostly based off 2020 metrics, free agent additions/subtractions and net draft impact.
Texans Defense last year, with Watt was ranked 30th. Offense w/Deshaun 13th.
New, First time Head Coach and new staff (with exception of OC Tim Kelly). Seems completely fair projection so Texans you have your bulletin board material, prove them wrong if you don’t like it.
As it pertains to 2021 projections

Offense-

We’ll assume here that Deshaun Watson doesn’t play a snap for Houston. That means it’ll likely be Tyrod Taylor, who projects as one of the NFL’s worst starters. At running back, the Texans have, well, pretty much everyone: David Johnson, Mark Ingram, Phillip Lindsay and Rex Burkhead. At wide receiver, they have Brandin Cooks but lost Will Fuller and Randall Cobb. The offensive line is fine, but overall it would be a minor miracle if this wasn’t a bottom-five offense in 2021.

Defense-

There aren’t many reasons to be optimistic about this group. The Texans’ defense was terrible last season, and that was with Watt playing all 16 games. They traded for Shaq Lawson and signed linebacker Christian Kirksey, along with corners Terrance Mitchell and Desmond King. Lovie Smith returns to the NFL after a five-year stint in college at Illinois. If history is any indication, he’ll run a zone-heavy scheme that mostly relies on a four-man pass rush.

It’s not like this group is completely devoid of talent. Zach Cunningham led the NFL with 164 tackles last season, and Houston has corner Bradley Roby and free safety Justin Reid in its secondary. Maybe Smith will figure out some new wrinkles and find a way to turn the Texans into a competent group. But the most likely scenario is that they’re not very good.

In my own words, the offense will keep defense on the field at or near top in the league, minutes played. One feeds the other. Actually don’t believe the defense will be that bad, more function of being put in bad situations.

Last edited:
Perhaps. Still Tyrod has done a solid job everywhere he has been despite the many things he has had to overcome. I hope for his sake that at least as far as this season goes, he retains the starting job. Besides I seriously doubt Davis Mills is ever going to amount to much. I don't foresee Tyrod runnning into another Justin Herbert situation this season.

If this season will prove anything it will prove that we are still in the market for another franchise Qb.

However I don't think Tyrod will embarrass himself and he will be a solid middle of the pack Qb. Far from one of the worst Qb's in the league!

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Do you know how their 2020 prediction compared to actual 2020 results?
2020 Prediction Texans Offense - 20th, 2020 Actual Offense 13th
2020 Prediction Texans Defense - 26th, 2020 Actual Defense - 30th

As far as picking the bottom of the barrel, The Athletic predicted the Football Team in Washington to finish last in offense. They did. The Panthers defense was predicted to be last in 2020. Carolina ended up 24th.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
2020 Prediction Texans Offense - 20th, 2020 Actual Offense 13th
2020 Prediction Texans Defense - 26th, 2020 Actual Defense - 30th

As far as picking the bottom of the barrel, The Athletic predicted the Football Team in Washington to finish last in offense. They did. The Panthers defense was predicted to be last in 2020. Carolina ended up 24th.
They probably took into account, or made the assumption O'Brien would be the HC for the entire 2020 season, throwing their offense prediction off when he was fired after week four. The offense seemed stuck in low gear when he was around.