Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2021 OLine

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Devlin's gone. That may be the biggest upgrade. I can't remember the new guys name, fingers crossed.

Martin is no longer in the lineup, another cause for optimism.

We've got new editions in Britt & Canon. I know there are questions whether Britt is an upgrade or not. I'm not convinced he will start, & if he does, I don't know that he'll start at Center.

I can see putting Howard back at LG, Fulton at Center, Britt at RG, & Cannon at RT.

I think that fixes the left side & gives us hope on the right.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Scharp is the odd guy out here. Fulton stays at RG guard, Britt is the starter at center and Howard kicks inside to the left....Cannon at RT.
Pretty much what I'm saying.

Caserio said he's trying to build a competitive roster. Surely there will be more additions & Sharping might earn a starting spot. But he's a Tackle imo & it's not going to be easy with Tunsil on one side & $7M Canon on the other.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pretty much what I'm saying.

Caserio said he's trying to build a competitive roster. Surely there will be more additions & Sharping might earn a starting spot. But he's a Tackle imo & it's not going to be easy with Tunsil on one side & $7M Canon on the other.
Exactly. Because Scharp is a tackle, he probably ends up as the swing tackle.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Devlin's gone. That may be the biggest upgrade. I can't remember the new guys name, fingers crossed.

Martin is no longer in the lineup, another cause for optimism.

We've got new editions in Britt & Canon. I know there are questions whether Britt is an upgrade or not. I'm not convinced he will start, & if he does, I don't know that he'll start at Center.

I can see putting Howard back at LG, Fulton at Center, Britt at RG, & Cannon at RT.

I think that fixes the left side & gives us hope on the right.
It's good to have options. Quality depth at the OG Fulton/Scharping and OT Heck hopefully developing. Very not Texans like.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep

1st time they've had depth on the ol in yrs. With depth and competition, plus having a proven ol coach, I expect this area of the team to be much improved. They can withstand injuries without falling off of a cliff.
No way Sharping, Heck, & RJ all stay on the roster. Not as tackles (maybe they see Scharping as a guard)...

I do like Heck

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
No way Sharping, Heck, & RJ all stay on the roster. Not as tackles (maybe they see Scharping as a guard)...

I do like Heck
If the right trade for Watson delivers the desired picks in return......I wouldn't hesitate to draft LT- Darrisaw (VA Tech) and C- Dickerson (Bama). I believe adding these 2 guys would give the Texans an OL to boast about, or have the NFL boasting about them.

As for Scharping, piss-poor coaching and scheme hurt him more than it helped him. I still see him as a LG and wouldn't mind seeing him take some snaps at Center for depth purposes. I think Tunsil's method at LT hurt him as well since it appeared that Tunsil was always joining Watson in the backfield while keeping the defender at bay.....the backfield is not where the LT needs to be with a Center that could be thrown around like a rag-doll.

I think Tunsil could give the Texans a RD1 in this draft and probably another in the 2022 draft. If the Texans were to draft Darrisaw.....I'd like to see his era at LT start sooner than watching Tunsil play a another down. Yes, I'm a tad bitter b/c of the sheer lunacy in what OB paid to trade for him and then watching him actually the position. Did anyone see #1 LT in the NFL? Tunsil was hyped and I hope for the sake of a great trade his hype remains strong.

LT- Darrisaw
LG- Scharping
OC- Dickerson
RG- Howard
RT- Cannon

OT- Heck
OT- Steckler

OT/OG- Johnson
OT/OG- Qvale

OG- Benzschawel
OG- Froholdt

OG/OC- Cabral
OG/OC- Britt
OG/OC- Fulton

Give me solid coaching, this group, a strong consistent scheme, and 9 men playing for 4-5 spots and I think the Texans could finally have an OL, with depth, that's worth bragging about.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
It will be very interesting to watch the progress of Texans oline this year.
It starts with coaching and after listening to coach Devlins coaching communication with them I was personally shocked - and to think this guy was an actual NFL coach beggars belief. I am glad we saw the back of him.
James Campen is highly regarded and will be a huge upgrade.
The addition of Marcus Cannon and Justin Britt will be upgrades at RT and C respectively.
This allows you to put the best of the rest at favourable positions.
The addition of TE Ryan Izzo will also assist the oline - he is a known blocking TE and trained under Dante Scarnecchia.
I look forward to further moves if any this offseason and to see how they gel together under Campens tutelage.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Laremy Tunsil
Tytus Howard
Max Scharping
Roderick Johnson
Charlie Heck

Justin Britt
Cole Toner
Marcus Cannon
Justin McCray

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I think this is the first time since the Kubiak first playoff in history "glory years" where the OL is actually the strength of the team. In particular the addition of Cannon and having Howard seal up one of the weak guard spots gives this team a leg up on last season's unit. If Campen can coach up Scharping to become a solid starter like he flashed his rookie season and Britt can be as good or better than Martin (shouldn't be hard) then this OL can control the trenches.

It would be ideal to establish an identity as a smash mouth team running 40+ times a game with Johnson/Ingram/Lindsay along with some Tyrod designed runs added in to make it even easier on the OL winning their individual matchups. Honestly its the only way I see they can be competitive without DW4 (which they struggled doing last season anyway). So might as well hope for the ideal scenario!

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think this is the first time since the Kubiak first playoff in history "glory years" where the OL is actually the strength of the team. In particular the addition of Cannon and having Howard seal up one of the weak guard spots gives this team a leg up on last season's unit. If Campen can coach up Scharping to become a solid starter like he flashed his rookie season and Britt can be as good or better than Martin (shouldn't be hard) then this OL can control the trenches.

It would be ideal to establish an identity as a smash mouth team running 40+ times a game with Johnson/Ingram/Lindsay along with some Tyrod designed runs added in to make it even easier on the OL winning their individual matchups. Honestly its the only way I see they can be competitive without DW4 (which they struggled doing last season anyway). So might as well hope for the ideal scenario!
Low scoring close losses rather than high scoring close losses.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Hopefully, they can all stay healthy.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Not necessarily the scheme I think the Texans would employ on offense but the general gameplan for them would be similar to the 2018 Seahawks offense. The Seahawks were the # 1 rushing offense in the league and threw the ball the least amount of times. They had a below average pass blocking unit but very good run blocking. I would even say this year's Texans OL is better than the 2018 Seahawks OL.

Russell Wilson took six sacks his first two games that year both in losses and games where he threw the ball 30+ times. The next five games they went 4-1 with Wilson only taking nine sacks and not throwing the ball more than 26 times. All in all the Seahawks threw the ball 30+ times only six times that season (Going 2-4 in those games).

The Seahawks finished the year 10-6 and lost in the wild card round. No more Legion of Boom on defense (but still a better defense than the one the Texans have) contributed to the finish. Russell Wilson's hyper efficient season 35-7 TD-INT is not something we'll have without DW4 in the lineup either. But the OL is better and the RB stable is better imo. It's the best gameplan they can deploy to have a competitive 6-8 win season. I'd say if DW4 was there all year and not on presumed suspension they could get to the 10 wins the Seahawks did.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Has anyone paid attention to Sharping at RG?

I am disappointed in the play of our Oline. Moving Howard to LG so far is a failure. So if we look at what can be done this season with the personal we have, we can move Howard back to RT. So this raises my question about Sharping. Has he improved? Should he be kept on the right side, or moved to the left.

Who do we have beside Lane Taylor to plug into a guard position if he is activated?

Perhaps we need to look at the practice squads around the league.

But something needs to be done and sooner is better than waiting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
My opinion Howard should be right tackle with Heck at left guard. Scharping moved all over to his detriment.

Number19

Hall of Fame
My opinion Howard should be right tackle with Heck at left guard. Scharping moved all over to his detriment.
Forgot about Heck. Has he played OG or would this be another case of playing out of position? Googling, he played OT in college. Again googling, Sharping played OT in college. Just what the heck is this drafting tackles to play guard. Just a wild guess, this may be a problem for our terrible line play. I certainly do not like this "versitility" or playing players out of position.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Forgot about Heck. Has he played OG or would this be another case of playing out of position? Googling, he played OT in college. Again googling, Sharping played OT in college. Just what the heck is this drafting tackles to play guard. Just a wild guess, this may be a problem for our terrible line play. I certainly do not like this "versitility" or playing players out of position.
I am not opposed to playing OTs at guard or vice versa depending on the individual. Often times a player come out of college and needs time to adjust, strengthen, etc. In my opinion Devlin and apparently our new guy believe in flopping players all around. Often using the terminology best five blockers playing together. Again I am okay with that however that does not always lead to using the individual players best skill set and let them develop. I have seen that with Scharping and appears where they are headed with Howard and Heck.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No

I'm leaving Howard at LG all of this season to see if he improves. I know what he is at RT.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am not opposed to playing OTs at guard or vice versa depending on the individual. Often times a player come out of college and needs time to adjust, strengthen, etc. In my opinion Devlin and apparently our new guy believe in flopping players all around. Often using the terminology best five blockers playing together. Again I am okay with that however that does not always lead to using the individual players best skill set and let them develop. I have seen that with Scharping and appears where they are headed with Howard and Heck.
What skill has Howard displayed that makes you think he will ever be more than an avg OL. I would take an avg Howard right now. But he's learning.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
What skill has Howard displayed that makes you think he will ever be more than an avg OL. I would take an avg Howard right now. But he's learning.
Yeah .... at the pace of handicapped snail ! I don't know what it is about this team and offensive lines .... well, since Munchak, Mathews, Salem and Steinkuhler anyway.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
2 practice squad guys got moved to active roster today. If that isn't a sign the line is trash I don't know what is.
The sign our line is trash is not that Lindsay can’t get 1 rushing yard on 4 attempts… but it’s that other teams are picking up players off our practice squad that couldn’t make the Texans OL active roster?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
What's happened to Tunsil? He's regressed big time!!!

At least with Tytus, he has an excuse... he's changing positions. But what's Tunsil's excuse? Are we gonna get more COVID excuses?
Last week or the week before, Tunsil was rated 28th .... not so long ago, he was bragging about being the best tackle in the league .... then he signed the contract !

Tytus was a knee - jerk response to missing on Andre Dillard !

mussop

Hall of Fame
He sucks. Another wasted draft pick gets no push in the run game, is lost in space and is terrible at picking up stunts. Hoping we trade him and Laremy Tunsil for as many draft picks as possible next year. Tunsil is a puss in the run game too. Especially for his salary.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He sucks. Another wasted draft pick gets no push in the run game, is lost in space and is terrible at picking up stunts. Hoping we trade him and Laremy Tunsil for as many draft picks as possible next year. Tunsil is a puss in the run game too. Especially for his salary.
Hard to say that Tunsil sucks in the run game when the guy on his right sucks and they dont have a quality blocking TE on his left.

Agreed about Howard sucking, he's looking more busty each Sunday.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Culley stated in the post game presser that he thinks Marcus Cannon is out the rest of the season.

How did Heck look today? Any chance he’ll improve to a serviceable RT?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It seems like Culley and company are quick to adjust on defense rotating in different players to see what works best. I’d like to see them give Lane Taylor an opportunity now that he is healthy enough to be called up for game day.
Taylor is a 31 year old injury prone lineman who hasn’t started in 3 years. I’d rather have Carson Green called up from the practice squad. A young guy who might have a future.

austins23

Hall of Fame
So…. The Packers have 150+ yards rushing (4.9 ypc) against the Cardinals defense. The Pack Oline ain’t all that.
the Texans couldn’t do crap against this defense .
Coaching or personnel?