Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2021 NFL Draft

Just a crazy thought and please shoot me down in flames if it cannot happen, but what if...
Texans offer next years first to either Jacksonville, Jets or Miami for their 2nd pick in the first round?
I mean it would have to be an attractive offer as the Texans pick next year is almost certainly going to be in the top ten.
If one these teams bite, Texans can then trade back for more picks. After all, NC must be exploring all options to rebuild this team asap?
🤷
Okay shoot!😅

Just a crazy thought and please shoot me down in flames if it cannot happen, but what if...
Texans offer next years first to either Jacksonville, Jets or Miami for their 2nd pick in the first round?
I mean it would have to be an attractive offer as the Texans pick next year is almost certainly going to be in the top ten.
If one these teams bite, Texans can then trade back for more picks. After all, NC must be exploring all options to rebuild this team asap?
🤷
Okay shoot!😅

A move like this would probably be a draft day deal, but it has to be due to a unexpected player still being on the board who is of true RD1 quality. Also, the deal would have to be with a team that possesses a top 3-5 pick in RD2 to justify a 2022 RD1.....I'd also demand a RD3 be included in the deal.

🤷
Okay shoot!😅
1. No
2. Any of those teams would take that deal. In fact, any team drafting #16 or lower would jump at it.
3. Imagine the egg on your face next draft day when another team has the Texans pick @ #1?
4. No. Just no.

1. No
2. Any of those teams would take that deal. In fact, any team drafting #16 or lower would jump at it.
3. Imagine the egg on your face next draft day when another team has the Texans pick @ #1?
4. No. Just no.
So you think Texans will be the worst team in football next season?

It’s weird. Use to come here all the time to talk draft, do mocks, get into heated discussions about QB’s and Offensive Tackles now this is what we look forward to next season, finishing last and actually having a first round pick, for about 2 seconds.

It’s weird. Use to come here all the time to talk draft, do mocks, get into heated discussions about QB’s and Offensive Tackles now this is what we look forward to next season, finishing last and actually having a first round pick, for about 2 seconds.

This franchise has been hit by a perfect storm of self -inflicted suckitude. You couldn’t have made this up. Will it only go up from here? Can’t say for certain. Just that it can’t go down from here.

By far. I think they'll win the #1 pick by 2 games, minimum.
Also tagged.😉
The offense will be better even without Watson who didn't serve us well last season anyway. I think we will have a ground game courtesy of a greatly improved Oline and that always helps the aerial one.
Defense I think will surprise - not fooling myself - they will be in the bottom half but around 20 -- 25 range. Yes, we might be without JJ, but Lovie Smith is a smart guy and knows how to use players in their best positions.

🤷
Okay shoot!😅

The only reason they should do this is if there's a QB there that they really like.

CBS Sports Mocks all Texans draft selections.

3 (67)WR Nico CollinsMichigan
4 (109)QB Kellen MondTexas A&M
5 (147)DE Milton WilliamsLouisiana Tech
5 (158)OLB Elerson SmithNorthern Iowa
6 (195)TE Kenny YeboahOle Miss
6 (203)CB Antonio PhillipsBall State
6 (212)OG Carson GreenTexas A&M
7 (233)S Paris FordPittsburgh
I really like the 5th round picks, though they would likely need to be taken in the 3rd and 4th. Williams has position flexibility to play the under tackle or the strong side DE. The author lists Elerson Smith as a 3-4 OLB, not knowing the Texans switched to a 4-3 under defensive front. But, Smith could still make sense as LEO (Weak side DE).

Nico Collins is the type of WR the Texans do not have on the roster. Similar to the Michigan WR in last year's draft, Peoples-Jones , Collins has great size and catch radius. But, can still get downfield and make plays. Caserio would have to make a choice between Collins and Williams, because neither will make it to the 4th round.

Kellen Mond needs a lot of work before he becomes an NFL starting QB. I'd be OK in the 6th round, if the Texans felt there was something to work with. Not ready to jump on the table for any of the other guys on this list.

Looking forward to the draft. I want to see how many teams get sucked into the ether and make offers for the #4 & 5 picks to frantically draft a QB.

The teams that are in the cat-bird seat....the one’s who have their QB1 and are sitting in the top 10. The top position players are going to get pushed down if the first 4 to 5 picks are QB’s.

Penei Sewell will be there for the Bengals and that will be huge. I seen another Mock where the Colts are going to give Wentz and their already amazing OL, LT- Christian Darrisaw (VA Tech).....man, that would become a great OL for years to come.

Me, I hope the Texans use this late starting draft to shore up the offense primarily. I see a deep draft in offensive positions of need for the Texans. They should draft BPA (offense) early and then hit on defensive players later who could develop while playing ST’s.

Just that it can’t go down from here.

I feel like this is what we said when Watson demanded a trade - it can’t get any worse. Then BOOM! Allegations of sexual assault/harassment.

I don’t want to see if it can get any worse, because the worse it can get is the Texans franchise moving to St. Louis or somewhere else.

Looking forward to the draft. I want to see how many teams get sucked into the ether and make offers for the #4 & 5 picks to frantically draft a QB.

The teams that are in the cat-bird seat....the one’s who have their QB1 and are sitting in the top 10. The top position players are going to get pushed down if the first 4 to 5 picks are QB’s.

Penei Sewell will be there for the Bengals and that will be huge. I seen another Mock where the Colts are going to give Wentz and their already amazing OL, LT- Christian Darrisaw (VA Tech).....man, that would become a great OL for years to come.

Me, I hope the Texans use this late starting draft to shore up the offense primarily. I see a deep draft in offensive positions of need for the Texans. They should draft BPA (offense) early and then hit on defensive players later who could develop while playing ST’s.
I like your plan for the most part, but I would caution on only offensive BPA. If a defensive player drops because of a run on OTs or WRs, I wouldn’t mind drafting them if the value is there.

Although if Dickerson or Humphrey were there at #67, I’d be all about it.

I like your plan for the most part, but I would caution on only offensive BPA. If a defensive player drops because of a run on OTs or WRs, I wouldn’t mind drafting them if the value is there.

Although if Dickerson or Humphrey were there at #67, I’d be all about it.

I agree. If any player for whatever reason drops and he’s a player that had a RD1 or RD2 projection and fits areas of need....yeah that’s a guy to draft regardless of which side of the ball gains that individual.

Humphrey is probably gone by mid RD2 and Dickerson could freefall but his freefall might only go as deep as late RD2 versus him being drafted in RD1. If Dickerson makes it to pick 67.....Texans are really going to have to weigh that ACL damage to the same knee...twice and determine if they’d be getting the same player before the damage.

As for me.....the guy who should be right there at 67 is OG/C- Ben Cleveland (Georgia). He would be an absolute anchor for the Texans OL. He could play G on either side or make the move to Center. His size, strength and nasty demeanor would be a great fit at Center and really free up the G’s to do their jobs. He’s got the same size as Dickerson height wise but is much stronger and carries more weight for the position.

Last edited:
I’m going to throw Creed Humphrey Oklahoma in the mix. Great Center prospect who can also fill OG positions. He has great anchor and can stone much bigger Nose or DT’s. Left handed too, 10 year starter, better prospect, than Martin.

I’m going to throw Creed Humphrey Oklahoma in the mix. Great Center prospect who can also fill OG positions. He has great anchor and can stone much bigger Nose or DT’s. Left handed too, 10 year starter, better prospect, than Martin.
We will need a young starting center soon so he would be a good pick. I have seen a top national mocker put him in the first round.
This rebuild is gonna take a few years so if we can get a guy like Humphrey in the 3rd, then we have to take him.

We will need a young starting center soon so he would be a good pick. I have seen a top national mocker put him in the first round.
This rebuild is gonna take a few years so if we can get a guy like Humphrey in the 3rd, then we have to take him.

He should go early to mid 2nd if so then hopefully Quinn Meinerz from Wisconsin-Whitewater 6027 | 320 lbs. | SR. Hartford, Wis. Small school prospect who showed well @ Senior Bowl. Point is should be able to get a starting Center/OG if you just prioritize, these guys are foundation pieces, building blocks for the future. Too many times in past regimes, Texans took shortcuts, didn’t follow the tape, took flyers on guys because of athletic traits. We just want flat out football players.

I feel like this is what we said when Watson demanded a trade - it can’t get any worse. Then BOOM! Allegations of sexual assault/harassment.

I don’t want to see if it can get any worse, because the worse it can get is the Texans franchise moving to St. Louis or somewhere else.

I'm fine with them moving.

He should go early to mid 2nd if so then hopefully Quinn Meinerz from Wisconsin-Whitewater 6027 | 320 lbs. | SR. Hartford, Wis. Small school prospect who showed well @ Senior Bowl. Point is should be able to get a starting Center/OG if you just prioritize, these guys are foundation pieces, building blocks for the future. Too many times in past regimes, Texans took shortcuts, didn’t follow the tape, took flyers on guys because of athletic traits. We just want flat out football players.
I like this guy a lot. He said his best position is guard, but he definitely held his own at the SB. He’d be a great addition to the line.

Not a fan of the OP mock draft. WR? & QB early?

Rather
67. Richie Grant S UCF Keeps showing availability in the simulator I use, but I doubt it. / Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa
109. Cameron Mc Grone LB Michigan / Dylan Moses LB Alabama

Thoughts?

Obviously I favor a heavy dose of D this draft.

Would you spend a late round and take a flyer on Zac Thomas QB from App State?

:coffee:

For me, based on the shear amount of veteran bodies Caserio is bringing in the door....it would lead me to believe that he will be drafting the BPA(s) in the 2021 NFL Draft. That makes sense.
I am thinking BPA as well - with a twist.
I am thinking he is looking for low risk positions as well and one stands out - RB. We have Phillip Lindsey and Mark Ingram but will Caserio keep David Johnson? Why not draft a young stud back? This is a pretty good draft for backs and if you can get Javonte Williams at #67, I wouldn't be upset at all.
Safety is another one that is reasonably safe and Grant would be nice to have. I'll throw a few more names atcha - Jamar Johnson, Andre Cisco and Jevon Holland.

I am thinking he is looking for low risk positions as well and one stands out - RB. We have Phillip Lindsey and Mark Ingram but will Caserio keep David Johnson? Why not draft a young stud back? This is a pretty good draft for backs and if you can get Javonte Williams at #67, I wouldn't be upset at all.
Safety is another one that is reasonably safe and Grant would be nice to have. I'll throw a few more names atcha - Jamar Johnson, Andre Cisco and Jevon Holland.

I to would like a RB and I think Javonte Williams would be an amazing draftee....if he’s still on the board. I’ve mentioned Trey Sermon multiple times b/c he’s the one in my mind that may slip to the 67 spot.....at least I hope. Big question, what if both Sermon and Williams are on the board when the Texans turn comes up? As much as I like Sermon, I’d be inclined to go with Williams.

I to would like a RB and I think Javonte Williams would be an amazing draftee....if he’s still on the board. I’ve mentioned Trey Sermon multiple times b/c he’s the one in my mind that may slip to the 67 spot.....at least I hope. Big question, what if both Sermon and Williams are on the board when the Texans turn comes up? As much as I like Sermon, I’d be inclined to go with Williams.
I was wondering the other day if Williams benefitted from having Michael Carter as his running mate and if they both have benefitted from each other. Not saying they are not good, but I think you get my drift - such a powerful run game may have "inflated" or "padded" their stats.
This may indeed make Sermon a better prospect, but I see Drafttek has him ranked at #143. Chuba Hubbard is ranked at #105. (Overall)
This looks like a deep draft for backs. One I like is in my sig - Elijah Mitchell. He is a load at 5'10" and 221lbs. has phenomenal yards after contact stats.
He would be an interesting guy to have on the squad and is likely to be there in the 6th.

I love Javonte Williams but cannot see Caserio going RB at 67 unless a trade brings higher picks.

This franchise has been hit by a perfect storm of self -inflicted suckitude. You couldn’t have made this up. Will it only go up from here? Can’t say for certain. Just that it can’t go down from here.

Don't ever say can't get worse here!!!

We thought trading Watson was going to be really bad. Even though we would have gotten a lot of picks and potentially a couple studs too. And THEN the bottom fell out with all the legal stuff...we might get nothing.

So please don't say CAN'T out loud 😂

Let's see just how good a haul the Texans could possibly get from looking at the best players at their draft positions over the past 10 years:

#67 - Alvin Kamara - RB - Saints - 2017 - ROY, 4X Pro Bowl
# 109 - David Bakhtiari - OT - Packers - 2013 - 8 year starter, 3X Pro Bowl, 2X All Pro
#147 - Ricardo Allen - S - Falcons - 2014 - 6 year starter, 11 career INTs
#158 - Jack Crawford - DE - Raiders - 2012 - 18 career sacks for 4 teams
#195 - Wes Schweitzer - OG - Falcons - 2016 - 4 year starter with experience at all IOL spots
#203 - Ryan Jensen - OT - Ravens - 2013 - Moved to OC with Bucs, 4 year starter
#212 - Denis Daley - OT - Panthers - 2019 - Started 12 of 19 games at OT and OG.
#233 - Jalen Mills - S - Eagles - 2016 - 4 year starter

There have been 33 Pro Bowlers taken in the 3rd round over the last 10 drafts. Over 3 per draft. Find one, Nick. And look for the grinders on Day 3. The guys who love the game and never stop trying to get better.

I was wondering the other day if Williams benefitted from having Michael Carter as his running mate and if they both have benefitted from each other. Not saying they are not good, but I think you get my drift - such a powerful run game may have "inflated" or "padded" their stats.
This may indeed make Sermon a better prospect, but I see Drafttek has him ranked at #143. Chuba Hubbard is ranked at #105. (Overall)
This looks like a deep draft for backs. One I like is in my sig - Elijah Mitchell. He is a load at 5'10" and 221lbs. has phenomenal yards after contact stats.
He would be an interesting guy to have on the squad and is likely to be there in the 6th.

Sermon is injury prone.

Love Mitchell

🤷
Okay shoot!😅
Sounds like something Bill O'Brien would do. The Texans would've had the 3rd pick in this years draft. How would you feel if they had the first pick in the 2022 only to have traded it away to Jax, Jets or Miami? Have you not learned anything?

I would like to see them trade all pics away for future draft pics. And do that again next year, lol. I have always wanted to see a nfl team tank for like 4 years while just building draft pics, can you imagine when they start cashing in their chips, lol, it would be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would like to see them trade all pics away for future draft pics. And do that again next year, lol. I have always wanted to see a nfl team tank for like 4 years while just building draft pics, can you imagine when they start cashing in their chips, lol, it would be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It wouldn't bother me at all if they traded away all of this yrs draft pick and for a move up by a Rd in the 2022 draft. For instance a 2021 3rd equals a 2022 2nd.

Why? Because this would ensure a tank and with so many seniors getting an extra yr the 2022 draft will be loaded. There will be plenty of 1st Rd talent available in the 2nd and 3rd rds. This would take forward thinking, something the Texans org has never been very good at.

Last edited:
Back