Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 UDFAs

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Pretty much camp bodies, don't see Dillon Cole/Scarlett type guys here. Usually you can see someone who has a high chance to stick, Elex maybe has some upside. Was expecting a RB better than Scottie Phillips, they must like Higdon or aiming to grab someone else's cut, or FA here, but hope he surprises me. With Corona, seems they went less aggressive here as probably just wasting money signing guys with no clear camp. BOB said in post draft was not even going to push the roster to 90.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I like this signing. Solid backup and special teamer. The guy is powerful as they come. He hit 29 reps on the bench press at the combine with 4.56 - 40 yard time. Hopefully he makes the practice roster.
I like his comparisons to Ray Rice and Maurice Jones Drew. Always loved the short stout RB's in the league. I hope he finds a way to show the world what he is capable of.

RGV82

Random guy
I like his comparisons to Ray Rice and Maurice Jones Drew. Always loved the short stout RB's in the league. I hope he finds a way to show the world what he is capable of.
I hope so. He has never shown much ability to catch the ball out of the backfield in college. He only had 18 total receptions in 20 games, so I would hold off on the comparisons to MJD and Rice just yet, but he definitely has potential.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
OK, glad some of you who have seen Scottie have hopes for him. I honestly did not catch his games and was largely reading up on him. I still could see BOB getting a cheap vet, never know, Hyde is still a FA, but young blood here would be good!

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Pretty much camp bodies, don't see Dillon Cole/Scarlett type guys here. Usually you can see someone who has a high chance to stick, Elex maybe has some upside. Was expecting a RB better than Scottie Phillips, they must like Higdon or aiming to grab someone else's cut, or FA here, but hope he surprises me. With Corona, seems they went less aggressive here as probably just wasting money signing guys with no clear camp. BOB said in post draft was not even going to push the roster to 90.
I checked Phillips and he reads similar to most guys in the draft. Had a 4.56 at the combine.
Nothing spectacular but will offer competition for Higdon and others that might be on the cusp.

RGV82

Random guy
OK, glad some of you who have seen Scottie have hopes for him. I honestly did not catch his games and was largely reading up on him. I still could see BOB getting a cheap vet, never know, Hyde is still a FA, but young blood here would be good!
As much as I liked Hyde when he was here, there is no way he is coming back. There would be 0 carries for him here behind Duke and David Johnson. He is not going to sign a big contract anywhere, but he will latch on to a team who needs someone for 100+ carries.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
He has never shown much ability to catch the ball out of the backfield in college. He only had 18 total receptions in 20 games
Could be a case of under use in that offense. Saw Phillips burn Missouri in a wheel route this season, and looked smooth doing it.

But right, cool it with the Rice/MJD comps.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I checked Phillips and he reads similar to most guys in the draft. Had a 4.56 at the combine.
Nothing spectacular but will offer competition for Higdon and others that might be on the cusp.
Speaking of Higdon, he needs to be working on the jug machine .... one or 200 passes .... hands are his Achilles .... he can develop and improve his receiving just as Fuller did. I wanted Trayveon Williams - A&M last year to the Bengals .... they didn't use him .... I think he needs the same thing. Johnson may be the guy, whether he is or not, there's a lot to be said for those little, powerful, quickety-quicks ! Duh .... just realized that we got Scottie Phillips .... Hell Yeah ! An embarrassment of riches !!! ....

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Sure would like to see OB get OG/OC- Gage Cervanka, Clemson on the phone to talk a contract. He's still available and would be a nice addition to the depth chart for the Texans OL. To those who count the Bench Press.....he did 39 reps officially but did 44 reps in a Clemson workout. Former wrestler who played defense first then was moved to OL at Clemson. Strong a san ox, played defense, wrestled and then turned IOL. Plays with a nasty demeanor. Got to roll the dice on a guy like this.

I also wanted WR/KR- Marquez Callaway, Tennessee. Has a crazy good catch radius, sticky hands, and possesses game speed. Game speed shows up on tape when you watch him return punts.....good eyes and burst. Shame the Texans missed out on him as an UDFA......but the Saints didn't, they got him signed.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Sure would like to see OB get OG/OC- Gage Cervanka, Clemson on the phone to talk a contract. He's still available and would be a nice addition to the depth chart for the Texans OL. To those who count the Bench Press.....he did 39 reps officially but did 44 reps in a Clemson workout. Former wrestler who played defense first then was moved to OL at Clemson. Strong a san ox, played defense, wrestled and then turned IOL. Plays with a nasty demeanor. Got to roll the dice on a guy like this.

I also wanted WR/KR- Marquez Callaway, Tennessee. Has a crazy good catch radius, sticky hands, and possesses game speed. Game speed shows up on tape when you watch him return punts.....good eyes and burst. Shame the Texans missed out on him as an UDFA......but the Saints didn't, they got him signed.
I believe Oluwole Betiku Edge went undrafted and also missed out in UDFA.
I'd be jumping on the phone to this young man also.
Was originally projected in the 6-7th rounds.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Phillips seemed to catch the ball well at the Sr Bowl.
Then came the 2019 season, where in nine games Phillips rushed for 542 yards and five touchdowns (4.3 yards per carry) on 125 carries. Also this past season, Phillips caught eight passes for 77 yards and one touchdown.

Jottoz

Veteran

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not accurate passer. Hopefully more than TC body. Why did he leave Miss State? Coaching change?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Sooo.....
Knowing that New England did not select a QB in the latest draft despite need
and the rumors of Watson becoming the Patriots next franchise QB
and the recent tweets from Watson
and knowing O'Briens dislike of players having more influence over the lockerroom than he has
and the Texans obvious need to replenish early draft picks next year......

Could Tiano be a sign of new direction for this ball club?
Would a year backing up McCarron be enough to get Tiano up to speed?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Nick Tiano

Career Passing Stats
YearTeamGCmpAttComp %YdsYd/ATDsIntSackedYds
2016MissSt 511100.055.00000
2017Chat 58715855.18735.56615105
2018Chat 1123337861.627107.215617128
2019Chat 1217432952.922426.814101468
Career 3349586657.258306.7352246301

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I like the idea of signing QBs.
If he doesn't work out, at least you had a training camp arm.
If he does rise to the level of backup, then you either keep working with him and keep him as backup or he can become a valuable trade chip.
He was signed strictly as a camp arm. Nothing more, nothing less. There’s always at least 3 QBs in camp. He will be cut after the last PS game. No rising to some level and becoming a trade chip.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Sooo.....
Knowing that New England did not select a QB in the latest draft despite need
and the rumors of Watson becoming the Patriots next franchise QB
and the recent tweets from Watson
and knowing O'Briens dislike of players having more influence over the lockerroom than he has
and the Texans obvious need to replenish early draft picks next year......

Could Tiano be a sign of new direction for this ball club?
Would a year backing up McCarron be enough to get Tiano up to speed?
Don’t troll, please

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
He was signed strictly as a camp arm. Nothing more, nothing less. There’s always at least 3 QBs in camp. He will be cut after the last PS game. No rising to some level and becoming a trade chip.
I tend to agree.
Some bigger school would have snapped him up long ago and 12 other NFL teams have been researching him so if there was anything worth mining there, someone in the know would have discovered it by now.

RGV82

Random guy
We still have this Alex McGough lingering around on our roster at the moment as well.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We don't seem to be very active with UFDAs. Is this understatement?
Billy doesn’t like rookies. And he really doesn’t like them this year. You have to coach them and that’s not his job.

This will become a real problem if the college football season is cancelled and about 100-200 seniors enter the supplemental draft. Everyone will be hoarding talent except the Texans. Billy will not want them in camp. And, the Texans don’t have many picks left, anyway.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Billy doesn’t like rookies. And he really doesn’t like them this year. You have to coach them and that’s not his job.

This will become a real problem if the college football season is cancelled and about 100-200 seniors enter the supplemental draft. Everyone will be hoarding talent except the Texans. Billy will not want them in camp. And, the Texans don’t have many picks left, anyway.
Add that to another reason why he needs to be fired. Other coaches have gone to the SB by letting rookies play their first year.:smiliepalm:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I dunno do any of the undrafted rookies they've signed have a chance of making the final roster this year ?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He's a big guy (6'5" 240#) with a big arm......and has impressive mobility. He only had 2 years of significant snaps..........2018 and 2019. His 2018 to 2019 regression can be explained by the change of HC and total change of the offense from Pro style to spread. He can easily be considered a dual threat QB.......last year, he rushed for 7 TDs.

Nick Tiano Sees Stock Rise, Offers Starter Level Upside