Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Pass Offense Predictions

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If OB wants his running game to be more respected and actually game planned for.....go out and get FA RG, Larry Warford. Putting him next to Howard would be a big plus and should solidify the right side to a point that the running game could be just as feared going right as it is going left.

As for the weapons, the Texans have:
WR- Fuller
WR- Cooks
WR- Cobb
WR- Stills
WR- Coutee

RB- Johnson
RB- Johnson

TE- Fells
TE- Aikens
TE- Thomas
TE- Warring

There are 11 targets for Watson that have the potential to be very good. This is going to be Kelly's biggest task as the new OC.....rotating these targets so they become a "real" part of this offense. 35-60 completitions o each could have Watson knocking on Brees single season record of 471 completions. Since there is no clear WR1, spread it around so each guy has a place in this offense.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
If OB wants his running game to be more respected and actually game planned for.....go out and get FA RG, Larry Warford. Putting him next to Howard would be a big plus and should solidify the right side to a point that the running game could be just as feared going right as it is going left.

WR- Fuller
WR- Cooks
WR- Cobb
WR- Stills
WR- Coutee

RB- Johnson
RB- Johnson

TE- Fells
TE- Aikens
TE- Thomas
TE- Warring

There are 11 targets for Watson that have the potential to be very good. This is going to be Kelly's biggest task as the new OC.....rotating these targets so they become a "real" part of this offense. 35-60 completitions o each could have Watson knocking on Brees single season record of 471 completions. Since there is no clear WR1, spread it around so each guy has a place in this offense.

That's funny .... I was just reading to see if Warford had signed with anyone yet. He's still available You'd think O'Brien would have learned his lesson about the OLine by now ..... not yet !!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's funny .... I was just reading to see if Warford had signed with anyone yet. He's still available You'd think O'Brien would have learned his lesson about the OLine by now ..... not yet !!
what do you expect him to do? Warford hasn’t signed with anyone. Maybe he’s doing his research. Maybe he’s trying to get a gig closer to home.

It takes two to make a deal.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I guess home would mean the Packers .... or the Falcons. We weren't hit by the right deal .... if the Saints had called and demanded a pair of first rounders, O'Brien would have reacted like Pavlov's dog !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I guess home would mean the Packers .... or the Falcons.
I don't know what you mean. Honestly.

From what I understand we put our hat in the ring & so has other teams. We're waiting for Warford to decide what he wants to do.

Contrary to popular belief, BO'b is not omnipotent. He wants Warford, this much we know. Now it's up to Warford to decide where he wants to be.

Mangler

Toro de España

WR- Fuller
WR- Cooks
WR- Cobb
WR- Stills
WR- Coutee

RB- Johnson
RB- Johnson

TE- Fells
TE- Aikens
TE- Thomas
TE- Warring

Isn’t Warford said to terrible in run protection?

RGV82

Random guy
The past 6 years doesn't provide any clues?
No. The past 6 seasons have not been the same. 2017 and 2018 we were splitting RB receptions between Miller, Blue and Foreman. 2019 Duke dominated 3rd down receptions and Hyde was a 2 down back. Now that we have 2 receiving back I expect a more even split like previous years and not 2019.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The only difference is you will have a better two headed monster attack from the backfield. But you can best believe David will get the bulk of the work.

David Johnson's role should be to bring versatility to the RB position. Its not singularly about running nor passing its both. When/if healthy he can provide a run/pass option that keeps a defense off balance and hopefully preventing predictability in the offense.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
No. The past 6 seasons have not been the same. 2017 and 2018 we were splitting RB receptions between Miller, Blue and Foreman. 2019 Duke dominated 3rd down receptions and Hyde was a 2 down back. Now that we have 2 receiving back I expect a more even split like previous years and not 2019.
The point trying to be made here is that OB doesn't take advantage of the weapons he has. He goes and gets the speed of Miller and uses him as a power back. Duke, a big plus in the pass game, had career lows in targets, receptions and yards. The Texans had the 6th fewest targets to RBs.

Yes, we all realize the weapons we have and the potential of them if they're utilized the way they should be based on the things we've seen from them in the past, but we've also seen 6 years of OB trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Looking at our talent and what makes sense to us isn't necessarily what OB is going to do. It hasn't been for 6 years.

RGV82

Random guy
The point trying to be made here is that OB doesn't take advantage of the weapons he has. He goes and gets the speed of Miller and uses him as a power back. Duke, a big plus in the pass game, had career lows in targets, receptions and yards. The Texans had the 6th fewest targets to RBs.

Yes, we all realize the weapons we have and the potential of them if they're utilized the way they should be based on the things we've seen from them in the past, but we've also seen 6 years of OB trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Looking at our talent and what makes sense to us isn't necessarily what OB is going to do. It hasn't been for 6 years.
Ok I agree with this. It really has nothing to with what I was initially saying but your points are all valid.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I don't know what you mean. Honestly.

From what I understand we put our hat in the ring & so has other teams. We're waiting for Warford to decide what he wants to do.

Contrary to popular belief, BO'b is not omnipotent. He wants Warford, this much we know. Now it's up to Warford to decide where he wants to be.

Firstly, I was mistaken about Atlanta .... for some reason, I remembered him playing for Georgia .... hence - Atlanta reference. Then it said that that he graduated from Madison Central HS .... who knew that would have been in Kentucky ? (Packers reference). Secondly, his impotence, er, omnipotence is overridden by whom ?

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think there will be a balanced attack. I also think it determines on the defenses that they will be playing. If they have problems stopping the run, we will see a heavy dose of the running game. If they have a weak secondary and aren’t generating enough pressure. Then we will see a healthy dose of the passing game.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm thinking the plan is to throw the ball 40 times a game regardless.

Whatever gives you that idea ? This is still OB's team …. and they have been close to 50/50 every year.

Pass play percentage from PFR stats.

2014 - .456
2015 - .548
2016 - .544
2017 - .511
2018 - .486
2019 - .525

Do you expect OB to suddenly change his spots ? I don't …. I believe he's going to want to run the ball as much as possible just like any coach - if you are running the ball more than the opponent , you are probably leading / winning games or at the worst in close games.

If they are chucking it 40+ …. they are probably losing.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
EXACTLY!!!

I just don't understand why people think after 6 years it's going to be different somehow. I get wanting it to be different, but we've seen this act for 6 years. A hunch that it all changes in year 7? C'mon man!!

Honestly …. what he wants to do is a winning formula.

Accomplishing that is something else ….

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Whatever gives you that idea ? This is still OB's team …. and they have been close to 50/50 every year.

Pass play percentage from PFR stats.

2014 - .456
2015 - .548
2016 - .544
2017 - .511
2018 - .486
2019 - .525

Do you expect OB to suddenly change his spots ? I don't …. I believe he's going to want to run the ball as much as possible just like any coach - if you are running the ball more than the opponent , you are probably leading / winning games or at the worst in close games.

If they are chucking it 40+ …. they are probably losing.
Agreed.

Just with Cooks/WFV the opportunity for big plays are there.

I expect DW4 to throw between 30-35 plays per game. The run game should be better because of the fear of the big play. I'm just hoping 1 of WFV/Cooks stays healthy all yr and the offense will be fine.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
EXACTLY!!!

I just don't understand why people think after 6 years it's going to be different somehow. I get wanting it to be different, but we've seen this act for 6 years. A hunch that it all changes in year 7? C'mon man!!
Many of us are hoping things are different. Either do so the same spit and it now works (insanity) or a coach changes the spit he has always done (delusion) or the new offensive coordinator actually has full reigns in design and playcalling (insanity and delusion).

If we really KNOW that the Texans are going to win the AFC south in an uninteresting manner, and get their butts handed to them in the playoffs when facing anywhere close to a quality opponent why are watching and much less talking about it on a message board in May?

The false hope is really all that a Texans fan has right now.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Many of us are hoping things are different. Either do so the same spit and it now works (insanity) or a coach changes the spit he has always done (delusion) or the new offensive coordinator actually has full reigns in design and playcalling (insanity and delusion).

If we really KNOW that the Texans are going to win the AFC south in an uninteresting manner, and get their butts handed to them in the playoffs when facing anywhere close to a quality opponent why are watching and much less talking about it on a message board in May?

Agreed

But hopefully it's not false hope.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

I think there can be minimal differences with a new play caller, simply by not being so predictable in what they do, but unless the design of the offense is different, I don't think there will be that much difference in the grand scheme of things. Unless Kelly has been allowed to install his own ideas/philosophies, whatever those might be, it's still OB's offensive design.

Does OB finally find a way to stay out of the way and let the T-E-A-M of coaches that he put together do their jobs after 6 years? Who knows?

It was reported last year that Kelly did the install of the game plan each week while OB was wearing other hats. They'd practice the week with that game plan, then OB would come in at the last minute and make changes. Would sure explain their slow starts.

If he's learned to delegate more and not try to do every job there is to do, then maybe there is hope. But there's been no signs of that for 6 years, so I do expect more of the same, at least offensively.

The defense is actually more worrisome to me than the offense. With absolutely no play makers on that side of the ball, no pass rush, a collection of JAGs in the secondary, I don't anticipate them being very good at all.

So, yeah, the Texans might be throwing 40 times a game, not by design, but by trying to keep up with what the defense is giving up.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
Cooks 900 6td
Fuller 800 5td
Stills 500 2td
Cobb 650 3td
Other wrs 150
Fells 350 4td
Other TEs 300 3td
David Johnson 350 receiving, 4td, 950 rushing, 6td
Duke 150 receiving, td, 350 rushing, 3td
Watson 4250 passing, 28td, 12int, 400, 4td
Other Rb 100 receiving, 200 rushing, rush td

RGV82

Random guy
Cooks 900 6td
Fuller 800 5td
Stills 500 2td
Cobb 650 3td
Other wrs 150
Fells 350 4td
Other TEs 300 3td
David Johnson 350 receiving, 4td, 950 rushing, 6td
Duke 150 receiving, td, 350 rushing, 3td
Watson 4250 passing, 28td, 12int, 400, 4td
Other Rb 100 receiving, 200 rushing, rush td
I think Watson should break 30 passing TDs this year, (32-34), also I think Cobb will be one of his favorite targets and should flirt with 800-900 yards. Fells I agree with you on yardage, but he was a red zone target last year and should have more than 3 TDs, somewhere around 6-8.