Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 TT Mock Draft?

Max

Veteran
Too late for the normal mock draft but what about a mock to get to at least our 2nd round picks? No one assigned to teams, each selection handled like the unassigned picks in previous drafts where picks are nominated and voted on until consensus is reached by the end of the time allowed. Maybe 4 hours per pick, 8am - 8pm?

No worries if no one is interested because I'm not volunteering to keep this thing moving. I'm more interested in seeing you draftniks discuss the picks and seeing where we're at when we get to the Texans selections. Thoughts?

Real shame about this exercise. It may have been my favorite thing to have participated in as far as internet community nonsense goes. Lots of very informed and reasonable and dedicated folks here who've helped construct my own thoughts on draft ideas.

I fell out a couple years ago for all of the assholes who couldn't keep up their ends. Just not worth the shambles of a process it would inevitably become. Again, just a real shame that it had to go so belly up. And I only post all of this for the benefit at all of the handful or so of folks - steelb, bah007, wolverinefan, beerlover, lucky, infantrycak, mussop - who made it a genuinely fun event. Hope y'all are having fun in your own ways as nfl christmas approaches. Cheers, bruhs..

I'd suggest 1st step be to pick a mock draft as a start point and assume the 1st 22 picks go that way. No point in having 3/4's of the discussion and voting taken up on "what if top 5 talent X falls."

Reactions: JB
I'd suggest 1st step be to pick a mock draft as a start point and assume the 1st 22 picks go that way. No point in having 3/4's of the discussion and voting taken up on "what if top 5 talent X falls."
I was thinking about starting something like this next week. I would select an anonymous draft board, take the initial 22 players off the board, then have a 16 hour period to vote for the Texans pick. Then do the same for the ensuing rounds. It would take 6 days to finish. I wouldn't vote and it would keep the mock from being cherry picked.

Give some feedback if anyone likes this idea.

I was thinking about starting something like this next week. I would select an anonymous draft board, take the initial 22 players off the board, then have a 16 hour period to vote for the Texans pick. Then do the same for the ensuing rounds. It would take 6 days to finish. I wouldn't vote and it would keep the mock from being cherry picked.

Give some feedback if anyone likes this idea.
I have seen an aggregate mock on NFL.com

This is a very interesting one from sbnation.com that compiled their version of consensus based on 97 mocks!
You have to click on the coloured bars.
They have Texans going OL on their first three bars for a total of 49%.
The next highest was Greedy Williams at 9%.
They also have Panthers going Dillard as their #1 choice.

How about a Mock Draft competition that relays on no other input but your own? You have up until 2 hours before the draft starts to submit your Mock Draft. On this thread, only the final Mock's would be entered and no comments until the draft is over.

Scoring could be simple:

100 pts- Exact Match / Designated Pick and Player

050 pts- If Your Target Is +-5 Picks of Designated Spot

025 pts- If Your Target Is +-10 Picks of Designated Spot

000 pts- If your Target is Outside of the +-10 Spot Range. There will be no participation points awarded.

Eg: I select Risner to Texans at 23:

100 pts- Risner actually gets selected at 23 or the Texans trade 23 and still select Risner in RD1.

050 pts- Risner is selected at 18 to 28.

025 pts- Risner is selected at 13 to RD2-01

Mods could probably approve an icon to be included on your avatar signifying your draft day prowess.

Real shame about this exercise. It may have been my favorite thing to have participated in as far as internet community nonsense goes. Lots of very informed and reasonable and dedicated folks here who've helped construct my own thoughts on draft ideas.

I fell out a couple years ago for all of the assholes who couldn't keep up their ends. Just not worth the shambles of a process it would inevitably become. Again, just a real shame that it had to go so belly up. And I only post all of this for the benefit at all of the handful or so of folks - steelb, bah007, wolverinefan, beerlover, lucky, infantrycak, mussop - who made it a genuinely fun event. Hope y'all are having fun in your own ways as nfl christmas approaches. Cheers, bruhs..

After last yr I'm done with running the TT mock draft. It got down to the people you listed making all of the picks. I really used to enjoy doing the mock draft but I'm not interested in running it again

My idea of how to do it is put a team on the clock and after 9 votes the majority wins. Give 5 choices.

For instance

Arizona
1. Kyler Murray
2. Joey Bosa.
3. Quinnen Williams
4. Josh Allen
5. Ed Oliver

Then move on to San Francisco.

Reactions: JB
After last yr I'm done with running the TT mock draft. It got down to the people you listed making all of the picks. I really used to enjoy doing the mock draft but I'm not interested in running it again

My idea of how to do it is put a team on the clock and after 9 votes the majority wins. Give 5 choices.

For instance

Arizona
1. Kyler Murray
2. Joey Bosa.
3. Quinnen Williams
4. Josh Allen
5. Ed Oliver

I like the idea of just doing a Texans mock even more... this is a Texans fans MB, not a league wide MB

This is a very interesting one from sbnation.com that compiled their version of consensus based on 97 mocks!
If you ran it off the one in the link it comes out very credible, but of course, there are no allowances for trades.
The only tricky spot was the Dolphins who wanted Drew Lock QB but he had already been snagged by the Broncos, so you have to consider do they still want to try for a QB who also happens to be their 3rd choice just one percentage point behind Rashad Gary or go with Gary or the QB and which one?
Either way it doesn't effect the rest of the board down to the Texans, but does allow Gary into the mix for us!
Here is the list:-
Cards - Kyler Murray QB
49ers - Nick Bosa Edge
Jets - Josh Allen Edge
Raiders - Quinnen Williams DL
Bucs - Devin White LB
Giants - Dwayne Haskins Edge
Jags - Jawaan Taylor OT
Lions - Montez Sweat Edge
Bills - Ed Oliver DL
Broncos - Drew Lock QB
Bengals - Devin Bush LB
Packers - TJ Hockenson TE
Dolphins - Rashan Gary Edge (Daniel Jones QB would be a fair reach here and Gary is the #2 choice)
Falcons - Christian Wilkins DL
Panthers - Andre Dillard OL
Giants - Clellin Ferrell DL
Vikings - Jonah Wiliams OT
Titans - Noah Fant TE
Steelers - Greedy Williams CB
Seahawks - Brian Burns DL
Ravens - DK Metcalf WR

Next pick is our beloved Texans.
By the board, since Dillard was taken by Panthers, it will be Cody Ford.
However, we have the fun part where we kinda speculate a little...;) with who is left on the board.
And the next 7 are (according to board):-
Josh Jacobs RB
Dexter Lawrence DL
Jerry Tillery DL
Deandre Baker CB
Dalton Risner OL
Garrett Bradbury OL
Irv Smith TE

If you want to add more, we can figure it out although the names there are pretty impressive.
If you toss in Cody Ford, that will make it 8 and Byron Murphy is also another that has been tied to us for 9 in total.

Last edited:
Josh Jacobs & Dexter Lawrence are a level above the others and both needs. 1st choice would be Lawrence, 2nd Jacobs.

For instance

Arizona
1. Kyler Murray
2. Joey Bosa.
3. Quinnen Williams
4. Josh Allen
5. Ed Oliver

I don't think you get through 254 picks like that this late. Plus, it takes a lot of time to moderate that.
I have seen an aggregate mock on NFL.com
The reason I wouldn't want to put up a known mock is that the selections wouldn't be blind and would allow cherry picking. Someone may back off taking a OT at #23 when they know a similarly rated player is there in the 2nd round. Teams don't know that for sure in the actual draft.

I don't think you get through 254 picks like that this late. Plus, it takes a lot of time to moderate that.

The reason I wouldn't want to put up a known mock is that the selections wouldn't be blind and would allow cherry picking. Someone may back off taking a OT at #23 when they know a similarly rated player is there in the 2nd round. Teams don't know that for sure in the actual draft.

You could do 2 RDS or maybe 3

If you ran it off the one in the link it comes out very credible, but of course, there are no allowances for trades.
The only tricky spot was the Dolphins who wanted Drew Lock QB but he had already been snagged by the Broncos, so you have to consider do they still want to try for a QB who also happens to be their 3rd choice just one percentage point behind Rashad Gary or go with Gary or the QB and which one?
Either way it doesn't effect the rest of the board down to the Texans, but does allow Gary into the mix for us!
Here is the list:-
Cards - Kyler Murray QB
49ers - Nick Bosa Edge
Jets - Josh Allen Edge
Raiders - Quinnen Williams DL
Bucs - Devin White LB
Giants - Dwayne Haskins Edge
Jags - Jawaan Taylor OT
Lions - Montez Sweat Edge
Bills - Ed Oliver DL
Broncos - Drew Lock QB
Bengals - Devin Bush LB
Packers - TJ Hockenson TE
Dolphins - Rashan Gary Edge (Daniel Jones QB would be a fair reach here and Gary is the #2 choice)
Falcons - Christian Wilkins DL
Panthers - Andre Dillard OL
Giants - Clellin Ferrell DL
Vikings - Jonah Wiliams OT
Titans - Noah Fant TE
Steelers - Greedy Williams CB
Seahawks - Brian Burns DL
Ravens - DK Metcalf WR

Next pick is our beloved Texans. By the board, since Dillard was taken by Panthers, it will be Cody Ford.
However, we have the fun part where we kinda speculate a little...;) with who is left on the board.
And the next 7 are (according to board):-
Josh Jacobs RB
Dexter Lawrence DL
Jerry Tillery DL
Deandre Baker CB
Dalton Risner OL
Garrett Bradbury OL
Irv Smith TE

If you want to add more, we can figure it out although the names there are pretty impressive.

Yeah I saw somewhere possibly the op that mentioned it was too late for full 7 rounds.
I also may have gotten mixed up with what this particular mock was to be, with all the mocking that goes on this time of year. :)

Maybe. I just don't think it would hold as much interest as an all Texan mock. Just to get through the Texans 2nd round picks, that's 55 separate votes.

It would interest the people listed earlier in this thread.

But after last years fiasco I agree with you.

Have we decided on a format yet?

Not that I know of.

If y'all want to do this it doesn't matter to me how we do it

But I just don't want to be the lead on this.

I think.y way of doing this will be fastest but I'm open to anything.

You could always select one of the consensus mocks, and only post top 22 players selected with no teams or trade info and no link. Then we could vote on # 23. Not perfect but maybe get 3 rounds done with a time limit set

Back