2019 Texans Only Blind Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Lucky, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Here how this works:

1) I've chosen a mock/draft board that will remain unknown until after the mock ends and will list the players taken prior to the Texans pick.

2) members will have 24 or so hours to vote for their choice at that particular draft selection.

3) I will post the selection at 8 pm each night and post the next group of players off the board.

4) Please no more than one vote per member, other than the Round 2 selection.

Schedule for voting:

4/15 8PM - 4/16 8 PM - Pick 1.23
    4/16 8PM - 4/17 8 PM - Picks 12.54 & 2.55 (Select 2 players)
    4/17 8PM - 4/18 8 PM - Pick 3.86
    4/18 8PM - 4/19 8 PM - Pick 5.161
    4/21 8PM - 4/22 8 PM - Pick 6.195
    4/22 8PM - 4/23 8 PM - Pick 7.220

These players are off the board at the Texans pick at 1.23

Andre Dillard OT Washington State
    Brian Burns EDG Florida State
    Byron Murphy CB Washington
    Christian Wilkins DL Clemson
    Devin Bush LB Michigan
    Devin White LB LSU
    DK Metcalf WR Mississippi
    Drew Lock QB Missouri
    Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
    Ed Oliver DL Houston
    Greedy Williams CB LSU
    Jawaan Taylor OT Florida
    Jonah Williams OG Alabama
    Josh Allen EDG Kentucky
    Kyler Murray QB Oklahoma
    Montez Sweat EDG Mississippi State
    N'Keal Harry WR Arizona State
    Nick Bosa DE Ohio State
    Noah Fant TE Iowa
    Quinnen Williams DL Alabama
    Rashan Gary DL Michigan
    T.J. Hockenson TE Iowa

The Houston Texans are now on the clock.

Texansphan and Max like this.
  2. Max

Max All Pro

NFL.com's best tackles remaining (in order): Dalton Risner, Kaleb Mcgary, Greg Little, Max Sharping, Tytus Howard, Chuma Edoga
    NFL.com's best cb's remaining (in order): Deandre Baker, Rock Ya-sin, Julian Love, Lonnie Johnson, Joejuan Williams
    NFL.com's bpa remaining (in order): Jeffery Simmons - DT (2nd highest rated prospect overall but acl and off-field issues), Josh Jacobs - RB, Dexter Lawrence - DT, Garret Bradbury - C, Parris Campbell - WR, AJ Brown - WR, Clellin Ferrel - DE, Jonathan Abram - S, Jerry Tillery - DT, Dalton Risner - T, Erik McCoy - C, Deebo Samuel - WR, Cody Ford - G, Deandre Baker - CB, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - S, Irv Smith - TE, Noah Fant - TE, Kaleb Mcgary - T.

3. Max

Max All Pro

I'm looking Tackle first but are Risner and Mcgary going to end up inside? I'd rather move Rankin back to RT and give him a full training camp there than waste a pick again on a guy that you aren't sure if he's going to stay outside. Little's a T, but I think this is too high and don't think he's plug and play so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to definitively upgrade T this year without a trade up or unloading JD for a higher pick.

Looking CB 2nd. Baker lacks the size to warrant this high of a pick imo. Also seems like we're more likely to find someone closer in talent with our 2nd round picks to what's available in the first at this position.

So I'm looking BPA next in a position of need and I'd choose Josh Jacobs.

(In real life I'd trade back here).

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  4. santo

santo Hall of Fame

I vote Josh Jacobs

5. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

With Clowney possibly holding out and his future uncertain, Watt is going to need some help. Watt is also not getting any younger.
    Dexter Lawrence IDL had three years of elite NCAAF ratings with Clemson and gets the nod for me.
    A line with Watt, Reader and Lawrence on it looks very decent.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  6. Max

Max All Pro

Still no push up the middle?

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

And that's why in a narrow decision I vote Josh Jacobs.

banned1976 and JB like this.
  8. Max

Max All Pro

I'd take his teammate Wilkins as a better fit for what we need.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Is it what we would do or what we think the Texans will do?

Either way I'm torn

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Begin the OL rebuild with tackle Kaleb McGary. And I like both Jacobs and Lawrence.

Besides need biggest reason I say Nay to Jacobs is was never the featured back @ Alabama. If numbers like 567, 284 and 640 fail to impress those are yards rushed from scrimmage 2016, 17 & 18. He has yet to develop into a good pass blocker as well. Lawrence has some skills but what he had mostly is size and dominated more as a freshman than as sophomore of Junior so you don't see the growth in his game you'd like.

McGary redshirted freshman year, then played 12 games starting 6 before never relinquishing starting role and never missing a single game, capping it off 2018 as the Morris Trophy winner as best offensive lineman in the Pac-12. You see the growth and development, consistency and the upside moving forward.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:28 AM

11. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Trade back. Jacobs is not elite and you don't draft RB's in the 1st round unless they're elite. David Montgomery is the same guy as Jacobs but with more tread on his tires and you can get him in round 2.

If can't trade back, then give me Clelin Ferrell (Edge - Clemson). He's a dominant edge presence who can rush the passer and shut down the run game. He's essentially Clowney without the all-world measureables, but no injury concerns. He's still a great athlete and the production is there (50 TFL and 27 Sacks in 3 years as a starter). This may seem like overkill at the edge position, but Mercilus is in the last year of his contract and is declining and Clowney has a dead knee and is going to walk if we don't make him the highest paid defender in the league. Watt is going to be at his peak for only so much longer and is likely to hang it up at the end of his contract.

I considered other players, but they aren't near the prospect that Ferrell is. McGary is an incredible run blocker but an atrocious pass blocker. Lawrence is an elite run stuffer but offers very little as an interior rusher. Ford is an OG who is an inconsistent run blocker and doesn't have the feet to pass protect at OT. Baker has work ethic and attitude questions.

My 2nd choice would be Julian Love. Slightly undersized and lacks elite speed, but has incredible instincts and off-coverage ability in man and zone. He's the 2nd best pure man coverage guy in the draft after Greedy. 3rd choice would be Juan Thornhill. Elite athlete with fantastic production at Safety who reminds me of Byron Jones. Use him as the 3rd Safety while cross-training him at CB.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 4:32 AM
    OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  12. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

At 340 pounds I daresay he can play NT.
    My main knock on him is that he may not be an every down guy on a long opposing drive and that is the reason he is not ranked a lot higher on boards.
    Ferrell was my #2 choice.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 4:54 AM
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

What do you think of Bradbury/McCoy/Tillery?

14. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW All Pro

Based on talent, Ferrell is easily best available.

15. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Easily?
    Wasn't Lawrence " the man" on their line?

16. WolverineFan

I like Bradbury, probably the most talented interior guy in the draft. I'm not a big fan of drafting interior guys in the 1st though unless they're Nelson/DeCastro level elite. Too easy to patch the interior with mid-round picks (same with RB). McCoy, not as high on him as media seem to be. I like Jenkins more. I'm a big fan of Tillery, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger in the 1st round on a guy with so much inconsistency. He has great traits, but needs to show up more.

JB likes this.
  17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Exactly so no way I'd use a a top ten pick on a guard/center when damn good ones are out there in Mid & later rounds just like RBs.

18. infantrycak

How is 630 college carries more tread than 250?

19. WolverineFan

?

Montgomery had twice the workload in college as Jacobs (700 total touches to 300). That's a positive for Jacobs. He has less wear and tear on his body.

They have extremely similar skill sets though and very similar measureables so I'd rather use a 2nd on Montgomery than a 1st on Jacobs.

20. infantrycak

Misread your post

Similar & same aren't the same. Jacobs is a substantial step up.

Imo people are getting far too blase about RBs.

banned1976 and Mollywhopper like this.