Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Texans free agency

srrono

All Pro
And some people complain about the Texans preserving as much cap space as possible. :)

It isn't all about one year. Good GMs will foresee the problems that unfettered spending can cause.

Texans ever lose a player because of cap problems most of his board will be looking for the tar and feathers.

All that money and LA didn't even win the super bowl this year. Can't buy the Lombardi.

Gonna be interesting to see how things settle out in Dallas.

:coffee:
It got them in the superbowl with a chance to win it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So they got the participation trophy. :)

Doesn't change the fact that the spending didn't get them a Lombardi.

If the Rams didn't have such a young coach they probably would've won the SB.

BTW, the Rams were worse than the Texans 3 yrs ago and made the SB. The Texans can only hope to get as far as the Rams did in the next 3 yrs.

It's not all coaching either. It's a philosophy that starts from the top down.

BTW, The Eagles won the SB 2 yrs ago with the Rams philosophy, so they got far more than a participation ribbon. They won the rings.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If the Rams didn't have such a young coach they probably would've won the SB.

BTW, the Rams were worse than the Texans 3 yrs ago and made the SB. The Texans can only hope to get as far as the Rams did in the next 3 yrs.

It's not all coaching either. It's a philosophy that starts from the top down.

BTW, The Eagles won the SB 2 yrs ago with the Rams philosophy, so they got far more than a participation ribbon. They won the rings.
You've got to get close before spending that money on FA will help... Texans haven't been close since 2011

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You've got to get close before spending that money on FA will help
They were 5 players away from being a true contender. IMHO

They chose to sit on their hands in FA and hopefully hit on the draft. Do you think this was a good strategy, particularly with the rest of the division improving and next yrs brutal schedule?

If they have a bad yr next yr most will blame it on BOB's coaching and some of those criticisms may be valid. But if they have a bad yr next yr the main reason will be because of passiveness in not adding the talent needed to compete with the big boys this offseason. IMHO

Look at a team like the Chiefs, their defense sucked last yr and look at what they did this offseason as an example of what I'm talking about. Right or wrong atleast the Chiefs are aggressively attacking their weaknesses. When has the Texans org ever been as aggressive as the Chiefs were this offseason?

Until the Texans org becomes more aggressive you can expect more of what we've seen over the last 17 yrs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This offseason

I had them needing 2 OT's 2 CB's and an interior rusher away from being a contender if WFV stays healthy.

The OT's they got are small school projects, I expected more than a 1st rd bust (Roby) and a project CB (L. Johnson) and they still dont have the interior rusher they need.

But hey, they do have the 2nd most cap space in the league and that's what really matters. Because it's the only thing they seem to be one of the best in the league at. Not that this is really surprising given their history.

Meanwhile the division is making all kinds of moves and getting better and better.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This offseason

I had them needing 2 OT's 2 CB's and an interior rusher away from being a contender if WFV stays healthy.

But he didn't... and last offseason did you feel they were only 5 pieces away?

meh, you do love your hindsight

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Last yr I was surprised they did as well as they did. I absolutely hated what they did with the OL (FA Backups plan turned out as expected) in fact I just hoped Watson would make it through the season healthy.

I'm talking about WFV staying healthy next yr. If he does and the rookie OT's can be avg the offense will be much better.

This offseason I've always thought they were 5 players away from contending. Although I would've gone in a different direction they addressed 3 of those issues. Although with the addition of these very raw projects it may be 3 yrs before they reach their potential.

No hindsight here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Last yr I was surprised they did as well as they did. I absolutely hated what they did with the OL (FA Backups plan turned out as expected) in fact I just hoped Watson would make it through the season healthy.

This offseason I've always thought they were 5 players away from contending. Although I would've gone in a different direction they addressed 3 of those issues. Although with the addition of these very raw projects it may be 3 yrs before they reach their potential.

No hindsight here.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

I'm talking about WFV staying healthy next yr. If he does and the rookie OT's can be avg the offense will be much better.

No hindsight here.
And the 2019 season hasn't been played yet so NO ONE, not even you knows how those moves will turn out

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And the 2019 season hasn't been played yet so NO ONE, not even you knows how those moves will turn out
Correct

I'm just telling you what I think is going to happen before it happens. Kind of like I've done with the OL the last 2 yrs.

Although I didn't particularly care for the Howard pick I'm willing to wait and see how he and Scharping progress as next yr goes on.

The 2019 Houston Texans will go as far as Watson's health and the young OL/CB's carry them. I hope I'm wrong about Roby, Roby playing at a high level will cure alot of ills.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Correct

I'm just telling you what I think is going to happen before it happens. Kind of like I've done with the OL the last 2 yrs.

Although I didn't particularly care for the Howard pick I'm willing to wait and see how he and Scharping progress as next yr goes on.
Bullshit! Thhat doesn't jive with what you keep harping on

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bullshit! Thhat doesn't jive with what you keep harping on
I've said all along that although I would've done things differently (Trade up for Dillard) I'm willing to see how Howard does before I pass judgement. I've also said this draft will be as good as Howard/Scharping turn out to be.

Please quit using revisionist history on my thoughts. Go check out some of my past posts.

If you want to know my thoughts they align with beerlovers thoughts in the rookie mini camp thread.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Correct

The 2019 Houston Texans will go as far as Watson's health and the young OL/CB's carry them. I hope I'm wrong about Roby, Roby playing at a high level will cure alot of ills.
So will the DLine.

Mangler

Toro de España
I've said all along that although I would've done things differently (Trade up for Dillard) I'm willing to see how Howard does before I pass judgement. I've also said this draft will be as good as Howard/Scharping turn out to be.

Please quit using revisionist history on my thoughts. Go check out some of my past posts.

If you want to know my thoughts they align with beerlovers thoughts in the rookie mini camp thread.
What you've been consistent on is hoping Watson gets his neck broke. Other than that, it's flip flop central. I'm one of the few that had Howard over Dillard so I stand by what I've said (predicting Howard to be the better NFL lineman of the two) but as I've dished it, I will take it if things turn out the other way.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
What you've been consistent on is hoping Watson gets his neck broke. Other than that, it's flip flop central. I'm one of the few that had Howard over Dillard so I stand by what I've said (predicting Howard to be the better NFL lineman of the two) but as I've dished it, I will take it if things turn out the other way.
I personally didn't watch much film so I am interested to know what made you think so.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I hoping they find a bit more push than last season. Gotta flush QB's out of their comfy pockets.
Interior pass rush was something that was missing last yr and didn't get fixed in FA/Draft this offseason. I'm still wanting Gaine to trade for McCoy or sign Suh.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I said that in FA because they didn't do whatever it took Watson as well as possible and basically said when Watson gets hurt they will have nobody to blame but themselves. I didn't mean literally get his neck broken.

Same with the draft Howard > Dillard but we will see on this one.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Interior pass rush was something that was missing last yr and didn't get fixed in FA/Draft this offseason. I'm still wanting Gaine to trade for McCoy or sign Suh.

Suh got 14+mil for one year from the Rams,

"So how exactly does this contract impact the Rams’ salary cap? Well, it essentially cuts their available space in half. According to Over The Cap, the Rams had about $24 million in cap space before signing Suh. His contract drops that number to $10 million, and that’s without John Sullivan’s two-year, $10 million deal, which incentives can increase to $15 million.

So really, the Rams are down to about $2.5 million in cap space. It doesn’t take a mathematician to know that’s not much money, especially with Los Angeles still needing to pay its rookie class in the coming months."
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/.../nfl-los-angeles-rams-ndamukong-suh-salar..

Well..they did get close but at what cost. And they aren't playing horseshoes, close don't count.

They put in all their chips, drew to an inside straight and missed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Suh got 14+mil for one year from the Rams,

"So how exactly does this contract impact the Rams’ salary cap? Well, it essentially cuts their available space in half. According to Over The Cap, the Rams had about $24 million in cap space before signing Suh. His contract drops that number to $10 million, and that’s without John Sullivan’s two-year, $10 million deal, which incentives can increase to $15 million.

So really, the Rams are down to about $2.5 million in cap space. It doesn’t take a mathematician to know that’s not much money, especially with Los Angeles still needing to pay its rookie class in the coming months."
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/.../nfl-los-angeles-rams-ndamukong-suh-salar..

Well..they did get close but at what cost. And they aren't playing horseshoes, close don't count.

They put in all their chips, drew to an inside straight and missed.

The Eagles took the chance the yr before and did win it all

Give me orgs that take chances trying to win championships over orgs that try to win salary cap championships. Even if those orgs dont win championships atleast they are giving themselves their best chance to win.

BTW, the Rams may not win it all next yr but it was a heck of a ride last yr. Can you imagine this town if they got as close as the Rams did last yr?

BTW, being in cap hell usually means 1 or 2 down yrs. It doesn't mean it's a lifetime sentence. BTW, I actually expect the Rams to look alot like last yrs Eagles next yr. That's the cost of taking a chance and I'm perfectly fine with that.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The Eagles took the chance the yr before and did win it all

Give me orgs that take chances trying to win championships over orgs that try to win salary cap championships. Even if those orgs dont win championships atleast they are giving themselves their best chance to win.
And yet the actual by far salary cap champions are favored in our division. $58.4 mil v $35.5 mil.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And yet the actual by far salary cap champions are favored in our division. $58.4 mil v $35.5 mil.
This just speaks to their faith in Watson/Hopkins/WFV staying healthy.

I would take this bet in a heartbeat. But I usually lose when I bet, so hopefully the status quo continues.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Addition of Taiwan Jones and What it Means for the Texans Running Back Group
byPatrick D. Starr45 mins

The addition of Taiwan Jones to the Houston Texans is setting up a position battle in the running back depth chart.

The Houston Texans continue to shape their roster heading into the 2019 season and general manager Brian Gaine continued that trend by signing running back Taiwan Jones (Read More Here). Gaine continues to trust his thought process and coaches when it comes to players and Jones is precisely that. Jones spent time with special teams coordinator Brad Seely in Oakland and with Gaine in Buffalo during the 2017 season. There is a sense of trust bringing in Jones to the roster knowing what he brings to the field and most importantly to the locker room.

How does Jones impact the Texans roster heading into OTAs? We take a look.
  1. Gaine has helped reshape the special teams unit by treating it as phase a football that needs starting caliber special teams players. Gaine added Johnson Bademosi, Joe Webb III, Buddy Howell Jr., A.J Moore, and Peter Kalambayi to the roster and it paid off on the field. The addition of Jones gives the Texans an option in the running back group to help on special teams and being a captain in Buffalo should not go unnoticed. Jones previous connections to Seely and Gaine should not go unnoticed. There is a good chance he will be on the week one roster with his primary focus as a key special teams player.

2. Outside of Lamar Miller, there are big questions concerning the position group heading into 2019. D’Onta Foreman has to bounce back from his injury, and all signs have shown the organization believes he can contribute in 2019. The Texans like keeping four running back on the 53-man roster at all times which leaves at least one roster spot for competition heading to the regular season. Jones does not do much to move the needle offensively for the Texans, and he is a fourth running back on the depth chart and emergency running back if needed. Jones should slide into the role Howell held last season as the running back that only played special teams. That should create the opportunity for new faces at the position to emerge at the position in 2019.
  1. The Texans like four running back on the 53-man roster. If everything holds from a health standpoint, there will be one spot open on the roster. Players like Josh Ferguson, Buddy Howell Jr. and rookies Karan Higdon Jr. and Damarea Crockett would be set to compete on the field. Like all training camps, there are intriguing camp battles, and it is lining up that the running back group could have one of those storylines for the summer. With positive reviews of Ferguson and Howell from Bill O’Brien, they will get the first crack and making an impression for the Texans. Crockett took part in rookie mini-camp while Higdon is being worked back slowly after undergoing knee surgery before the NFL Draft. There will be plenty of discussions which should be that back on the depth chart, but it will come down to the best player during training camp and the preseason.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The Addition of Taiwan Jones and What it Means for the Texans Running Back Group
byPatrick D. Starr45 mins

The addition of Taiwan Jones to the Houston Texans is setting up a position battle in the running back depth chart.

The Houston Texans continue to shape their roster heading into the 2019 season and general manager Brian Gaine continued that trend by signing running back Taiwan Jones (Read More Here). Gaine continues to trust his thought process and coaches when it comes to players and Jones is precisely that. Jones spent time with special teams coordinator Brad Seely in Oakland and with Gaine in Buffalo during the 2017 season. There is a sense of trust bringing in Jones to the roster knowing what he brings to the field and most importantly to the locker room.

How does Jones impact the Texans roster heading into OTAs? We take a look.
  1. Gaine has helped reshape the special teams unit by treating it as phase a football that needs starting caliber special teams players. Gaine added Johnson Bademosi, Joe Webb III, Buddy Howell Jr., A.J Moore, and Peter Kalambayi to the roster and it paid off on the field. The addition of Jones gives the Texans an option in the running back group to help on special teams and being a captain in Buffalo should not go unnoticed. Jones previous connections to Seely and Gaine should not go unnoticed. There is a good chance he will be on the week one roster with his primary focus as a key special teams player.

2. Outside of Lamar Miller, there are big questions concerning the position group heading into 2019. D’Onta Foreman has to bounce back from his injury, and all signs have shown the organization believes he can contribute in 2019. The Texans like keeping four running back on the 53-man roster at all times which leaves at least one roster spot for competition heading to the regular season. Jones does not do much to move the needle offensively for the Texans, and he is a fourth running back on the depth chart and emergency running back if needed. Jones should slide into the role Howell held last season as the running back that only played special teams. That should create the opportunity for new faces at the position to emerge at the position in 2019.
  1. The Texans like four running back on the 53-man roster. If everything holds from a health standpoint, there will be one spot open on the roster. Players like Josh Ferguson, Buddy Howell Jr. and rookies Karan Higdon Jr. and Damarea Crockett would be set to compete on the field. Like all training camps, there are intriguing camp battles, and it is lining up that the running back group could have one of those storylines for the summer. With positive reviews of Ferguson and Howell from Bill O’Brien, they will get the first crack and making an impression for the Texans. Crockett took part in rookie mini-camp while Higdon is being worked back slowly after undergoing knee surgery before the NFL Draft. There will be plenty of discussions which should be that back on the depth chart, but it will come down to the best player during training camp and the preseason.
Great article. Thnx.

LikeMike

Veteran
The #Broncos are going to try to talk to CB Chris Harris, see if they can work things out.

If unable to do so, I suspect potential trade partners would include Houston and Philly.

— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) May 14, 2019
No idea what it would cost to add him, but if it is no more than a 3d rounder, I am all for it. Adding him and sliding the other CBs one spot down the depth chart would greatly improve our secondary - or, as asked in another thread, actually fix the secondary. With him, his old teammate Roby as #CB2 and Colvin as #3, Gipson and Reid as safeties, we would finally have an intimdating secondary, and some good depth as well. We have some cap space left, I would spent it here...

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
No idea what it would cost to add him, but if it is no more than a 3d rounder, I am all for it. Adding him and sliding the other CBs one spot down the depth chart would greatly improve our secondary - or, as asked in another thread, actually fix the secondary. With him, his old teammate Roby as #CB2 and Colvin as #3, Gipson and Reid as safeties, we would finally have an intimdating secondary, and some good depth as well. We have some cap space left, I would spent it here...
I would even consider a 2nd. We are gonna need a top CB in next years draft in addition to Harris even if we did snag him.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Harris is demanding a trade if he is not given a long-term contract of ~$15million per year.

Impressive detailed PFF analysis of Harris.

Broncos CB Chris Harris Jr. continues to dominate from the slot as one of the league's premier cornerbacks

BY CAMERON PEZET • JAN 24, 2019

He's coming off a fibula fracture for which he was IR'ed last Dec. Surgery was not necessary, and this type of injury should have no future negative implications.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Harris is demanding a trade if he is not given a long-term contract of ~$15million per year.

Impressive detailed PFF analysis of Harris.

Broncos CB Chris Harris Jr. continues to dominate from the slot as one of the league's premier cornerbacks

BY CAMERON PEZET • JAN 24, 2019

He's coming off a fibula fracture for which he was IR'ed last Dec. Surgery was not necessary, and this type of injury should have no future negative implications.
Would love to have him. Assuming the team can get rid of Colvin with relatively little cost. Have high hopes for Colvin this season rebounding but Harris is simply the better player.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Harris can play anywhere. I would give up a 2nd to get him.

Harris/Roby/JoJo/Colvin/L.Johnson means we never have to see the Eagles/Colts debacles again.

That in itself is worth a 2nd to me and takes the pressure off of L. Johnson to have to produce next yr.

The Texans will never make a move like this because it will cut into the chances of winning the cap championship.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Harris can play anywhere. I would give up a 2nd to get him.

Harris/Roby/JoJo/Colvin/L.Johnson means we never have to see the Eagles/Colts debacles again.

That in itself is worth a 2nd to me and takes the pressure off of L. Johnson to have to produce next yr.

The Texans will never make a move like this because it will cut into the chances of winning the cap championship.
I agree with your post, except for the last sentence. You may very well be right, but I think Gaine will carefully weigh the cap effect and any potential compensatory pick effect. If he thinks it's worth it, he'll roll those dice.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Don't understand the backlash towards Colvin. He wasn't bad as the slot guy.... when he was healthy & as we saw later in the year when he wasn't playing, the issues weren't necessarily with his play, it was a defensive/secondary problem as a whole.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree with your post, except for the last sentence. You may very well be right, but I think Gaine will carefully weigh the cap effect and any potential compensatory pick effect. If he thinks it's worth it, he'll roll those dice.
I think the conservative policy comes from the top

I would love to be proven wrong

Harris/JJo/Roby on the outside, put Colvin in the slot and let the young ones learn.

Maybe we keep Harris in the slot except for when we vs the Colts?

Crawford learning from Harris could possibly reap some serious benefits if Crawford pans out