Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2018 TRAINING CAMP

Hopefully LG

Mancz with large left knee brace (an MCL mid Sept 2017).......an injury that dogged him throughout the season.

920x920.jpg

Mancz, after letting his man through.

rawImage.jpg

The only time he ever played LG for us was for a half when Sua Filo was injure midway into a game against the Jags mid Sept 2017.

yeah JJ was horrible that year--80 tackles 10.5 sacks, 7 passes defended.

And when did I say Watt didn't play well...the point is Watt's presence alone doesn't translate the greatly into wins on the field...we have seen the same with Andre and Hopkins

Note: I am fully aware this was his "worse" season in his four year run as the best defensive player on the planet and arguably as good any four year run as any DLmen in NFL history...Watt mattered greatly, the special player didn't alone make the Texans a special team.

Reported Saturday by Pat Starr.

The Houston Texans will be hosting free agent cornerback Kayvon Webster this coming week...

Link

EDIT: Just read that he suffered the dreaded Achilles rupture last season.

Last edited:
And when did I say Watt didn't play well...the point is Watt's presence alone doesn't translate the greatly into wins on the field...we have seen the same with Andre and Hopkins

Note: I am fully aware this was his "worse" season in his four year run as the best defensive player on the planet and arguably as good any four year run as any DLmen in NFL history...Watt mattered greatly, the special player didn't alone make the Texans a special team.
This is very much along the lines of what Gruden has been saying about Mack.

Agree and to my knowledge, I didn't see anything Mancz did to lose the job or anything Martin did to be the starter without any competition.

It's the Texans MO. Draft a guy high and play him no matter what, even when there is a better player in the fold.

Martin doesn't impress me as a center in any way.

It's the Texans MO. Draft a guy high and play him no matter what, even when there is a better player in the fold.

Martin doesn't impress me as a center in any way.
Do you think there's any chance he'd be a better player at guard ?

The outing by Kevin Johnson and Aaron Colvin suggests we are screwed at that position. It appears as desperate as the O-line last season.

At the same time, Justin Reid is proving to be an asset.

Considering these two realities, I expect Kareem Jackson to be moved back to corner at some point in the season. It would be best to do it sooner than later so he's not rusty when we need him there.

The outing by Kevin Johnson and Aaron Colvin suggests we are screwed at that position.
In regards to the Niners TD, do we know it was Colvin's decision to not press Taylor at the line and give him a free release? It was the same mistake the Niners made on Ellington's TD catch. I don't know what's going on with those calls, but that's not ordinary goal line defense.

In regards to the Niners TD, do we know it was Colvin's decision to not press Taylor at the line and give him a free release? It was the same mistake the Niners made on Ellington's TD catch. I don't know what's going on with those calls, but that's not ordinary goal line defense.

A good question. Why wouldn't he press? I have no idea.

But he was not brought in to play outside corner anyway. Unless he proves it in preseason, I don't see him yet as a suitable backup for Johnson.

Are we seriously tripping off of one freaking play. Good grief every QB gets beat every so often. Hopkins abused quiet of few top notch corners last season. Before Watson's injury, Fuller was having his way against really good corners.

Lol one freaking play. Overreaction much

Are we seriously tripping off of one freaking play. Good grief every QB gets beat every so often. Hopkins abused quiet of few top notch corners last season. Before Watson's injury, Fuller was having his way against really good corners.

Lol one freaking play. Overreaction much

who's 'tripping'?

Hyperbole overuse?

I don't see us tripping we are depending on a guy who is injury prone so far in his career and he suffered a concussion week 2 of the pre season. Its a reason to be concerned especially when we aren't deep at the position.

I don't see us tripping we are depending on a guy who is injury prone so far in his career and he suffered a concussion week 2 of the pre season. Its a reason to be concerned especially when we aren't deep at the position.

I want to know what team is deep at cb if we aren't. we have 4 starting caliber experienced cbs at our disposal. Very few teams have that on any given year. The difference this year is we finally have some playmaking ability at safety to go along with it.

I want to know what team is deep at cb if we aren't. we have 4 starting caliber experienced cbs at our disposal.
There is not a #1 CB on the Texans. It is probably somewhat of a stretch to label one of these guys a #2. There's not a press cover guy in the bunch. Cover 2 and hope the front 4 get to the QB? That's the best bet, I think.

His ypp last season was 49, the highest it's been since 2011. That led the league. His career average is 47.6 ypp. Want to explain by what standard he was ineffective?

By his shitty kicks so far in preseason. This year. But yea he kicked pretty good last year.

There is not a #1 CB on the Texans. It is probably somewhat of a stretch to label one of these guys a #2. There's not a press cover guy in the bunch. Cover 2 and hope the front 4 get to the QB? That's the best bet, I think.

Probably the most overrated tenet in football you're parroting here & its not nearly as important as fans and some old-fashioned coaches think it is. You don't necessarily need a bondafide #1 or this or that type of cb & What's always been underplayed is chemistry, experience & scheme fit. Im saying what i'm saying about the Texans b/c they have all of the above in droves...….imo of course. Most of the Texans' secondary & defense as a whole have been in this system for years & We've seen how good they could be defensively when healthy & with great playcalling. & that was without Watt & without talents like Mathieu at safety & Colvin.

Tampa 2 Bucs secondary wasn't locking anyone down specifically, they depended on prime Sapp, Rice and Brooks to wreak havoc so that there zone coverage didn't break down.

2013-2016 Legion of Boom got all the headlines...…but Sherman primarily stayed on1 side of the field & Avril, Wagner & Bennett all made life hell for qbs.
We all saw how Von Miller damn near singlehandedly took over in the playoffs in 2015...Think Harris and Talib were complaining?

Hell the eagles last year didn't have anything special at CB last year...damn good secondary and defense though.

So I don't see anything wrong with playing zone & letting the front 7 do what it does. Most of these supposedly good secondaries above you're probably thinking the Texans are far inferior to all had bad ass front 7's that took them from being pretty good to downright smothering & playmaking.

Probably the most overrated tenet in football you're parroting here & its not nearly as important as fans and some old-fashioned coaches think it is. You don't necessarily need a bondafide #1 or this or that type of cb & What's always been underplayed is chemistry, experience & scheme fit. Im saying what i'm saying about the Texans b/c they have all of the above in droves...….imo of course. Most of the Texans' secondary & defense as a whole have been in this system for years & We've seen how good they could be defensively when healthy & with great playcalling. & that was without Watt & without talents like Mathieu at safety & Colvin.

Tampa 2 Bucs secondary wasn't locking anyone down specifically, they depended on prime Sapp, Rice and Brooks to wreak havoc so that there zone coverage didn't break down.

2013-2016 Legion of Boom got all the headlines...…but Sherman primarily stayed on1 side of the field & Avril, Wagner & Bennett all made life hell for qbs.
We all saw how Von Miller damn near singlehandedly took over in the playoffs in 2015...Think Harris and Talib were complaining?

Hell the eagles last year didn't have anything special at CB last year...damn good secondary and defense though.

So I don't see anything wrong with playing zone & letting the front 7 do what it does. Most of these supposedly good secondaries above you're probably thinking the Texans are far inferior to all had bad ass front 7's that took them from being pretty good to downright smothering & playmaking.

Lets see the 1st team defense on the field before judging.

I suspect a healthy Mathieu will make a big difference in the secondary. Plus lets wait and see if JoJo has a season left in him. Better safety play to go along with the front 7 should make the secondary look much better than it did last season. Atleast WR's shouldn't be running wild on crossing routes this yr.

Last edited:
This is where the defense really missed Bouye last yr.
Let’s not pretend Bouye was this shutdown corner who didn’t cost us big chunks of yardage with his P.I magnet ass. He was damn good in his last season with us, and carried it over to Jacksonville, but he wasn’t consistently good for us like he ended up being late in his last season with us.

Let’s not pretend Bouye was this shutdown corner who didn’t cost us big chunks of yardage with his P.I magnet ass. He was damn good in his last season with us, and carried it over to Jacksonville, but he wasn’t consistently good for us like he ended up being late in his last season with us.

He was talking specifically about his coverage on TEs which he was pretty good at for us.

3 subpar punts. Lol. From a probable HoFer coming off a top of the league season. I'm guessing his leash is a tad longer than that.

Cool, lets hope he has another outlier year this year and hope that some other team doesnt offer Trevor Daniel a job since he's currently the 2nd best preseason punter in the NFL. Maybe Lechler is saving himself for the regular season? It would be nice if he looked like the best punter on the team at least - warm fuzzies be damned.

Lechler has 1 year maybe 2 left, this Daniel's kid looks legit from his limited action. I'd cut lechler, nothing against him he is great and if they decide to put another punter in the HOF it's because of what Lechler has done in his career. but if you want to be a contender year in and year out you have to be willing to cut older players when a younger guy shows he can take his place

This is where the defense really missed Bouye last yr.

Nobody wanted to pay the price for Bouye last year do you remember .. "he's not worth that type of money" they said. I wonder if he's worth that money now to those people. I would have broken the bank for Bouye, at least you would have a borderline star in the defensive backfield .. funny thing is they spent alot on Colvin who is a lesser player and who wasnt groomed within the organization. SMH.

Nobody wanted to pay the price for Bouye last year do you remember .. "he's not worth that type of money" they said. I wonder if he's worth that money now to those people. I would have broken the bank for Bouye, at least you would have a borderline star in the defensive backfield .. funny thing is they spent alot on Colvin who is a lesser player and who wasnt groomed within the organization. SMH.

I wanted Bouye. Not because I thought he was a great player, but our cb was/is weak and finding a stable of good corners isn’t easy.

I’ll take good over injured/sucks every day.

Based on?

his age alone. Father time catches up with everyone, he is already 42. even if his skills dont start diminishing as quickly as one might expect do you really thi k he is going to want to play another 10 seasons? I could see him retiring after this season or next, even if he doesnt decline. I rather go with a player who can make a contribution for 10+ years instead of one on his way out

Bouye got paid 5 yrs/65 million with 26 million guaranteed.

Colvin got 4 yrs/34 million with 18 million guaranteed.

They are both paid “a lot” relatively speaking. But their contracts are not comparable... different tiers of free agent money.

I wanted to franchise Bouye when the team couldn’t reach a long term deal prior to free agency for the record.

Bouye got paid 5 yrs/65 million with 26 million guaranteed.

Colvin got 4 yrs/34 million with 18 million guaranteed.

They are both paid “a lot” relatively speaking. But their contracts are not comparable... different tiers of free agent money.

I wanted to franchise Bouye when the team couldn’t reach a long term deal prior to free agency for the record.

Did Bouye earn his money year 1 of the 'ridiculous' contract?

I wanted Bouye. Not because I thought he was a great player, but our cb was/is weak and finding a stable of good corners isn’t easy.

I’ll take good over injured/sucks every day.

He was our best secondary player. Nobody wanted to admit they whiffed on Kevin Johnson, or that Kareem Jackson has been a huge MEH player. This team has never been good at recognizing talent and then retaining home grown players. Every year its .. "no way we cant pay Player X that kind of money" and then the next year "why do we suck so bad?"

Sisyphus doesnt have anything on being a Houston Texan fan. LOL

How many games would Bouye have won us last year?

Correct. Plus he doesn't take into account the impact playing for Sacksonville had vs a Texans defense without both Watt and Mercilus and not Jaelen Ramsey at the other CB.

That being said, had the team franchised him I would think he would have shown at least as much as Malcolm Butler did last season to earn the same level contract.

his age alone. Father time catches up with everyone, he is already 42.
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Adam Vinatieri

The dude could punt for another 5 years, easy. But on the other hand, remember Boswell? Hell, he's one of the highest paid kickers in the league now. Texans let him go for the Fat Aggie. We all know how that ended.

Bouye was very good 2014 and 2016 for Texans and his 'off'-season 2015 he defended 6 passes with 2 INTs and IIRC he played 15 games but not much as starter. That year Coach was trying to get Jackson, Joseph and rookie Kevin Johnson on field at same time.

Back