Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

corytx8

Rookie
Alright, it is that time of the year for OTA's and Mini-camp. I figure I would start an Official OTA's, Minicamp and Training Camp thread to provide a place to post, debate and discuss the Texans camp. OTA's are set to start today. Let's give this football season a warm welcome.

May 22: Start of OTAs (organized team activities)

May 22-May 23, May 25: OTA #1, 2, 3 (Phase 3, Week 6)

May 30-31, June 1: OTA #4, 5, 6 (Phase 3, Week 7)

June 5-6, June 8-9: OTA #7, 8, 9, 10 (Phase 3, Week 8)

June 13-15: Mandatory Minicamp (Phase 3, Week 9). This is the only portion of offseason workout program that is mandatory.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...Schedule/6833fdcd-09c8-4b4c-ab28-f1e91962437f

Are the rookies also included in all of these team activities that begin today, the 22nd ?

All I really care about is how our quarterbacks are doing! I know our defense is in god hands and more than likely will continue to be good, so it's time our offense comes on with it!

You can't really get too much out of these sessions for linemen. So I am looking forward to seeing our skill players in action. Really want to see the WRs vs DBs.

The Houston Texans Being Cautious with D'Onta Foreman Heading into OTAs
When every rookie arrives in Houston, the Texans make sure they are ready to step on the field in top physical condition. Running back D'Onta Foreman is a little behind the curve playing in terms of being 100% ready for NFL life due to his current physical makeup, but the Texans are not faulting him for the slow start - especially given how the draft process forces players to get ready for testing rather than being ready for the game of football.

Bill O’Brien is being careful with Foreman and is easing him into what the Texans are doing this off-season.

“Got to get in good shape,” O’Brien said of Foreman. “The shape of an NFL football player – the guys that have been with us in our off-season program for four or five weeks right now, they’re in way better shape than these guys.

Damn, yesterday I pulled out a T-shirt from the 2007 TC.
I suddenly realized it and said to myself how time flies.

I hope the team gets better.
Rick Smith isn't too bad , all considering.
OB, let's get on it, man.
Quit riding Crennel's coat tail.
I would rather not see a coaching change.
With Foreman, the running game ought to improve.
I want to be optimistic.
Show me you can work with a QB, be it Savage or Watson... or even Weeden.
A functional offense, please.

You can't really get too much out of these sessions for linemen. So I am looking forward to seeing our skill players in action. Really want to see the WRs vs DBs.
Not true this year. Hopefully we can get reports on who is taking reps at RT. And whether Mancz or Martin, or both, are taking reps at OG.

Not true this year. Hopefully we can get reports on who is taking reps at RT. And whether Mancz or Martin, or both, are taking reps at OG.

You're right, it will be interesting to see who gets playing time where. I was just talking from a pure evaluation perspective.

All I really care about is how our quarterbacks are doing! I know our defense is in god hands and more than likely will continue to be good, so it's time our offense comes on with it!
I just hope Peterman gets put on the Bills' practice squad so we can sign him to a roster spot.

I was going to correct this, but then thought "no, that just might be accurate"...

Duane, I love you man, but it's not as if you were "earning every penny" last year.

His guaranteed $$ still ranks #6 for all LT.

"I understand they had a lot of confidence in me, a lot of faith in me," Brown said. "I'm just very grateful. I try to put in as much work as possible, and just do my part for this team and make it successful, and I'm going to continue to do that."

"It's just surreal," Brown said of his new deal. "I've been happy to just make it to this point, to the NFL. But once you get here, it's hard work and I realize that. It took me a while to mature and get to this point in my life where I've become a complete pro and I'm just happy that they recognized that, and had the confidence in me to extend this great deal."

Seth Payne

✔@PayneNFL

Deshaun Watson looked comfortable enough under center. Some good passes, some bad. Comfortable in the [non-violent OTA] pocket.

1:27 PM - 23 May 2017

Adam Wexler @awexlerKPRC
"I can tell he's put a lot of time into the system," Weeden on @deshaunwatson. Says everything has been great in QB w/ 3 of them.

1:30 PM - 23 May 2017 · Houston, TX

Tom Middlescreen @bdbsport
Reports coming out of #Texans OTAs is that rookie QB DeShaun Watson is having a great camp to this point.

11:22 AM - 23 May 2017

Aaron Wilson

✔@AaronWilson_NFL

Nick Martin 'The ankle is good to go'

1:35 PM - 23 May 2017

Aaron Wilson

✔@AaronWilson_NFL

J.J. Watt on OTA where he lined up with first-team D in full-term work 'I have no restrictions. I feel very, very good'

1:21 PM - 23 May 2017

Quessenberry was a full participant.

Newton restructured contract.

No more two cutdown days. Now going from 90 straight to 53.

With the new cutdown the 4th preseason games should be more competitive. We likely wont see anyone out there who is a lock to make the roster so no more putting players we know are on the team out there (think Savage 2 seasons ago) just to field a team for that game.

Duane, I love you man, but it's not as if you were "earning every penny" last year.

His guaranteed $$ still ranks #6 for all LT.

I think that's why he wants a new deal. I might be wrong, but iirc, he no longer has any guaranteed $ left.

I think that's why he wants a new deal. I might be wrong, but iirc, he no longer has any guaranteed $ left.
Correct, he doesn't. The Texans took the risk in early years of contract, he takes risk in last years.

I included the quotes as an example of how happy the player is with their deal / extension at signing, then suddenly it's a bad deal down the road.

• Texans corner Robert Nelson, wearing A.J. Bouye's old No. 21 jersey now, broke up several passes, had a strong practice - Aaron Wilson

• Robert Nelson, Kurtis Drummond and Shakeel Rashad had strong days today. Were very active in pass defense today. - Patrick Starr

• J.J. Watt looked fairly explosive in organized team activity while lining up at his old left defensive end spot - Aaron Wilson

• Watt looks in much better shape than he did last season when he came down with the back injury and he much more looks the part going into 2017. Watt showed off his normal pass rushing ability and made offensive tackles know he was back. It was good to see him back moving and displaying a high level of ability once again. - Patrick Starr

• David Quessenberry participating for the first time since his cancer diagnosis. Was working on the interior of the offensive line. - Multiple

• Rookie CB Bryce Jones from Akron stayed on the field by himself working on what DB coach John Butler showed him in practice. - *John McClain

• It won't surprise me if Kendall Lamm, an undrafted rookie in 2015 entering his third season, starts at RT in opener. He's impressive. - *John McClain

• Nick Martin and Xavier Su'a-Filo spent time together working after practice. - Patrick Starr

• The eye test tells me XSF and Jeff Allen are in much better shape than last season. Can see it with their movement and overall size. - Patrick Starr

• QB to TE convert Zach Conque had a strong day today. Further along than expected for pos. change. - Patrick Starr

• There was a clear confidence change with running back Tyler Ervin on the field. Last season, even during the spring and offseason, Ervin looked tentative. With the ball in his hands today, he looked decisive when catching, running, and fielding punts. It is early, but it is clear that Ervin appears to be a different player on the field. - Patrick Starr

• Tom Savage took the field as the clear cut starter and had an up and down day. Savage was able to put touch on the ball at times and other times, had some poor decision making. It is clear he is ahead of the curve on knowing where the football needs to go and he was able to showcase that when he had time to operate. This is Savage’s position to lose and it is going to take a strong camp from Deshaun Watson to unseat him. - Patrick Starr

• As for Deshaun Watson, it was more downs than ups as the practice progressed. Watson looks solid in the quick game and showed he is accurate, getting the ball out quickly. The issue, like many rookie quarterbacks, is when he has to read the game and let plays develop. He looked overmatched at times and although this is only the second day on the grass, there is a clear learning curve that Watson has to overcome to even get close to stepping on the field. - Patrick Starr

• Deshaun Watson took time after practice to throw passes up and down the sideline after the Texans' second OTA. - John McClain

https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/comments/6cx8kg/its_that_time_again_observations_from_texans_otas/

I would highly suspect that D Brown got advice from his agent to hold out, if he is indeed doing that and not simply skipping the voluntary OTAs. The Texans have basically nobody else at the position who can play right now at a competent level. The right side is already a question mark and life without Brown would be gruesome for our offense and quarterbacks. Perfect timing for him to try to get some guaranteed money and potentially an additional year or two on his contract. This is another reason why not addressing tackle in FA was not a smart idea, it gives Brown leverage. I don't see how we don't end up giving in if he doesn't budge, again, assuming he is actually holding out.

Big Duane has Ricky & the Texans by the yink-yang but hey you know it's just business.

Correct, he doesn't. The Texans took the risk in early years of contract, he takes risk in last years.

I included the quotes as an example of how happy the player is with their deal / extension at signing, then suddenly it's a bad deal down the road.
Brown is holding out now because he is worried about his knee holding out later.............the Texans should be more worried. I'm afraid it looks like he's taking advantage of the OL situation which the FO has put themselves in, in order to get an extension..........deterioration or not. Maybe we even see Brown given a 5 year guaranteed extension, with an option for another 5 years.

David Quessenberry returns after cancer battle
The last we saw Houston Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry he was ripping an unsuspecting bell off a wall celebrating the completion of his cancer treatment.

Today, the 26-year-old took the practice field with his teammates for the first time since being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2014.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...avid-quessenberry-returns-after-cancer-battle
That' great news about Quess being back on the field today and what a story if he were to be our starting RT in Setember vs the Jags for the season opener !
of course I'm dreaming or atlesat way, way ahead of what would probably be a realistic scenario for him this year, but atleat he's back and of course they will take it easy with him and closely monitor his progress.

David Quessenberry returns after cancer battle
The last we saw Houston Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry he was ripping an unsuspecting bell off a wall celebrating the completion of his cancer treatment.

Today, the 26-year-old took the practice field with his teammates for the first time since being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2014.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...avid-quessenberry-returns-after-cancer-battle
That' great news about Quess being back on the field today and what a story if he were to be our starting RT in Setember vs the Jags for the season opener !
of course I'm dreaming or atlesat way, way ahead of what would probably be a realistic scenario for him this year, but atleat he's back and of course they will take it easy with him and closely monitor his progress.

I do not want to bash anyone's hopes, but if Quessenberry plays in a regular season game, it will be more likely to be as a gesture extended to him for all that he has gone through and the efforts he has shown to make a return to the Texans. If it turns out more than that based on solid performance, I will be his greatest cheerleader.

Brown has two years remaining on his six-year, $53.4 million contract extension that includes $22.081 million guaranteed, a $12.5 million signing bonus and an average annual compensation of $8.95 million.

Brown is due nonguaranteed base salaries of $9.65 million and $9.75 million in 2017 and 2018. That would rank him 11th in 2017 and 12th in 2018 among left tackles in terms of cash compensation.

However, the Texans generally don't renegotiate contracts with two remaining years.

If the Texans are inclined to renegotiate, they have several relatively salary-cap friendly options available to them. That could include potentially guaranteeing all or part of the remainder of Brown's contract, converting a portion of the base salary for this year into a signing bonus and adding future years to the deal to spread out the annual salary-cap proration.
LINKhttp://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?t=3aa26fc4e6438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

• Texans corner Robert Nelson, wearing A.J. Bouye's old No. 21 jersey now, broke up several passes, had a strong practice - Aaron Wilson

• I really like Nelson. I know he had a couple of bad games last year but I still believe he can still have an impact.
  • Robert Nelson, Kurtis Drummond and Shakeel Rashad had strong days today. Were very active in pass defense today. - Patrick Starr

• J.J. Watt looked fairly explosive in organized team activity while lining up at his old left defensive end spot - Aaron Wilson

• Watt looks in much better shape than he did last season when he came down with the back injury and he much more looks the part going into 2017. Watt showed off his normal pass rushing ability and made offensive tackles know he was back. It was good to see him back moving and displaying a high level of ability once again. - Patrick Starr

• David Quessenberry participating for the first time since his cancer diagnosis. Was working on the interior of the offensive line. - Multiple
  • HAND CLAP!!!!

• Rookie CB Bryce Jones from Akron stayed on the field by himself working on what DB coach John Butler showed him in practice. - *John McClain

• It won't surprise me if Kendall Lamm, an undrafted rookie in 2015 entering his third season, starts at RT in opener. He's impressive. - *John McClain
  • Man would that be great!!!

• Nick Martin and Xavier Su'a-Filo spent time together working after practice. - Patrick Starr

• The eye test tells me XSF and Jeff Allen are in much better shape than last season. Can see it with their movement and overall size. - Patrick Starr

• QB to TE convert Zach Conque had a strong day today. Further along than expected for pos. change. - Patrick Starr
    This is the UDFA im keeping my eyes on. Really liked what I saw on film when he tucked the ball and ran with it. If he has good hands could be the surprise of offseason.
  • There was a clear confidence change with running back Tyler Ervin on the field. Last season, even during the spring and offseason, Ervin looked tentative. With the ball in his hands today, he looked decisive when catching, running, and fielding punts. It is early, but it is clear that Ervin appears to be a different player on the field. - Patrick Starr
    Fingers crossed!
  • Tom Savage took the field as the clear cut starter and had an up and down day. Savage was able to put touch on the ball at times and other times, had some poor decision making. It is clear he is ahead of the curve on knowing where the football needs to go and he was able to showcase that when he had time to operate. This is Savage’s position to lose and it is going to take a strong camp from Deshaun Watson to unseat him. - Patrick Starr
    Bolded is scary.
  • As for Deshaun Watson, it was more downs than ups as the practice progressed. Watson looks solid in the quick game and showed he is accurate, getting the ball out quickly. The issue, like many rookie quarterbacks, is when he has to read the game and let plays develop. He looked overmatched at times and although this is only the second day on the grass, there is a clear learning curve that Watson has to overcome to even get close to stepping on the field. - Patrick Starr
    This is what I'm scared of with OB as OC. Why run so many long developing plays with inexperienced qbs?? I sure hope he doesn't do that as much this year.
  • Deshaun Watson took time after practice to throw passes up and down the sideline after the Texans' second OTA. - John McClain

Kurtis Drummond had a good showing.
He's in his third year here so here's hoping he can step up and fill a hole.
"Drummond, (UDFA 6'1" 205lbs) who led the Spartans' top 10 defense in tackles (72), pass breakups (11) and interceptons (four), has a free-agent contract with Houston and will head down to Texas this week for the Texans rookie mini-camp."
He has great size for the position.

"Tom Savage took the field as the clear cut starter and had an up and down day. Savage was able to put touch on the ball at times and other times, had some poor decision making. It is clear he is ahead of the curve on knowing where the football needs to go and he was able to showcase that when he had time to operate. This is Savage’s position to lose and it is going to take a strong camp from Deshaun Watson to unseat him." - Patrick Starr

"As for Deshaun Watson, it was more downs than ups as the practice progressed. Watson looks solid in the quick game and showed he is accurate, getting the ball out quickly. The issue, like many rookie quarterbacks, is when he has to read the game and let plays develop. He looked overmatched at times and although this is only the second day on the grass, there is a clear learning curve that Watson has to overcome to even get close to stepping on the field." - Patrick Starr

"Deshaun Watson took time after practice to throw passes up and down the sideline after the Texans' second OTA." - John McClain

Wendell Williams is my Camp sleeper. He flashed both hands and catch radius last season....in a very small window of opportunity but it's the speed that could provide fire power as a receiver and potential return man.

With Fuller, Miller and Williams...the Texans have the speed to put defenders on their heels and open up the underneath routes for Hopkins, Strong and the TE's.

[QUOTE="mussop, post: 2717298, member: /]...David Quessenberry participating for the first time since his cancer diagnosis. Was working on the interior of the offensive line....It won't surprise me if Kendall Lamm, an undrafted rookie in 2015 entering his third season, starts at RT in opener. He's impressive. - *John McClain....Man would that be great!!!...The eye test tells me XSF and Jeff Allen are in much better shape than last season. Can see it with their movement and overall size. - Patrick Starr...[/QUOTE]
For an UDFA, his third year should be his breakout season. I agree it would be a big plus if Lamm could become a significant contributor. Q is still a long shot. Does he have PS eligibility? If X and Allen are already in improved shape, this bodes well.

Do the Texans have a dining table and prepared meals for the players - for them to lose weight or gain weight?

I am a little pissed at Brown.

Spe1M5T.jpg

Fingers crossed!
I know that there are a lot of enthusiastic comments coming out of this first day. Difficult to take any of them seriously at this point. Just one example, knowing you're not going to be pancaked makes it very easy to be more decisive.

"Explosiveness" is not a trait that is significantly affected by lumbar discectomies when well-healed. Ability to tolerate twisting and bending in all directions, while repeatedly hitting and being seriously hit at different angles by 'large objects" over time is the only thing that will tell the story. And this is unlikely to be truly tested until well into the regular season. During the season I can see myself hoping that Watt performs as most would like to see, while I hold my breath during a lot of that time during those games, hoping that he makes it through to the next.

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic and hopeful, but we need to keep things in perspective at this time of year, as evaluations are likely to take wide swings from side to side before we have any idea of what is real.

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic and hopeful, but we need to keep things in perspective at this time of year, as evaluations are likely to take wide swings from side to side before we have any idea of what is real.
Definitely. The biggest "take" from Day one might just be the XSF/Allen news about showing up to camp in better shape.

One thing we'll have to remember once we hit training camp is that it won't be apples/apples compared to prior years. Since these guys won't be facing Houston heat & humidity, the conditioning comparisons won't quite be the same.

Deshaun Watson. For all the talk about how Watson isn’t pro-ready, and came from a jenky college offense, Watson looked pretty sharp today. He made quick decisions, with confidence, and hit his spots on most of his throws. He did throw an interception, and had a few bad misses, but so did Savage, who’s only ever played in pro-style systems and was given the Texans starting QB job moments after Watson was drafted. This is literally the first time Watson has competed against NFL players on an NFL practice field. I’m not sure how much I’m allowed to say, per the Texans media policy, in terms of specific play calls and formations, but let me put it this way – it seems like the coaching staff is doing everything they can to get him cozy with pro concepts, and are even changing some of what they do to fit what he’s most comfortable with already. In the end, as a back and forth with a Twitter follower made me think of today, whatever we and the staff see from Watson in practice, it’s probably not going to be as good as what he does in games. That is, after all, the main selling point on Watson. His performance when it matters. It’s what he did in his 38 starts at Clemson, two straight National Championship games against Nick Saban and Alabama, and that masterful game-winning drive and TD pass to Hunter Renfrow in the latest one. So even if Watson looks awful in for the rest of the offseason, until he’s consistently bad on the field, in meaningful games, with the first-team offense, he’s given us no reason to think he won’t be the player he was the last few years for the Tigers: a future franchise QB.

Tom Savage. Savage just seemed off today. He missed on a number of throws, and saw his deep ball die multiple times on a day where there wasn’t much wind. For a guy who at times looked like best QB in camp the last two seasons, he simply wasn’t that guy today. That’s fine. Everybody has off days. Even LeBron, apparently. But considering the dynamic – the Texans just drafted his presumed replacement in the first round, and gave up another first round pick to do it – it’ll be interesting to see how Savage handles the QB competition. You’d think this is something he’s used to at this point, having to transfer from Rutgers after losing his job to injury, then getting to start only one year at Pitt due to injuries, then losing chances at the starting job in each of his last three seasons with the Texans due to injuries. But that could also make it harder. Only once in my career have I ever said that an athlete choked: Brian Hoyer, who gagged in both the 2015 regular season opener and AFC Wild Card loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Why? To me, because for Hoyer, that was his last real chance at an NFL starting QB job. He was never going to get it with the New England Patriots or Arizona Cardinals – or even with the Cleveland Browns. But with the Texans, and Bill O’Brien? Maybe. Looking back, it stands to reason that he pressed. Tried too hard. Wanted it too bad. And, ultimately, folded. I’m not saying that’s happening with Savage, who it’s worth noting dipped not one but two questions today about Watson: first, about how he’s handling helping him learn the offense, second, what he thought of his performance. But if he keeps looking like this, and unlike the guy we’ve seen for three years prior, I probably will.

Will Fuller. First, no drops today from Fuller, who was drafted in the first round a year ago and may have been an honorable mention in the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year race of not for a bad case of the dropsies. He caught a few deep balls, and some others over the middle, and didn’t put any on the turf. Even better, he didn’t double clutch any passes the way that he often did last season, even on the ones he was able to pull in. I haven’t talked to Fuller, and so can’t tell you that he’s worked on it, but I’ll say this – it looks like he’s worked on it. Which is good news.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/23/hear-me-out-hammonds-observations-texans-otas/

Definitely. The biggest "take" from Day one might just be the XSF/Allen news about showing up to camp in better shape.

One thing we'll have to remember once we hit training camp is that it won't be apples/apples compared to prior years. Since these guys won't be facing Houston heat & humidity, the conditioning comparisons won't quite be the same.
Outside of actual preseason games in Houston and other cities are the Texans scheduled to spend their entire TC in Greenbrier, WV ?

Wendell Williams is my Camp sleeper. He flashed both hands and catch radius last season....in a very small window of opportunity but it's the speed that could provide fire power as a receiver and potential return man.

With Fuller, Miller and Williams...the Texans have the speed to put defenders on their heels and open up the underneath routes for Hopkins, Strong and the TE's.

You saw more in four catches than I did...

http://www.nfl.com/player/wendallwilliams/2556710/profile

Kurtis Drummond had a good showing.
He's in his third year here so here's hoping he can step up and fill a hole.
"Drummond, (UDFA 6'1" 205lbs) who led the Spartans' top 10 defense in tackles (72), pass breakups (11) and interceptons (four), has a free-agent contract with Houston and will head down to Texas this week for the Texans rookie mini-camp."
He has great size for the position.

Guy was a first team all american in college. Hopefully between him and Dillon the departure of Demps will be compensated for.

Back