Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

I thought I heard he would be switching to safety at some point?
I just rewatched the first half of the Bears game.
For the whole game, Football Outsiders had Jackson and Joseph playing 55 snaps.
The Bears had their big receiver Kevin White in for 55 snaps as well.
When the Texans go to nickel, they put Jackson at the slot.
He mostly defended White.
They sent him in on a blitz once and a run blitz once.
So yeah, RAC was definitely matching up his players with a game plan.

Whats happened to KJax last couple of years? Seems like he's fallen off in performance just a tad after beginning to look like he might become a high level CB.

That said, his qualities playing close to the LOS may well help in the slot, which is a very important position for quality D play as it takes away the release valve for opposing QBs.
He played 61% at the slot last year.
Even played 11 snaps at FS against the Pats in the playoffs.
They were given him snaps at safety in TC as well.
I believe RAC just matched him up game to game according to needs.

Last year he was dealing with a hamstring injury all through Oct and noted on the Injury Report.............actually continued to have this issue through Nov but was not formally placed on the Injury Report..............then reappeared on the Injury Report for a hamstring throughout Dec. The end of Dec, he found his way on the Injury report with a neck injury, which essentially carried through the playoffs.

I thought I heard he would be switching to safety at some point?
He played safety the last quarter of the season last year and the playoffs. Not full time but I think it was PatDStat on twitter that first noticed it and it was pretty prominent vs NE in the playoffs

Really interested in Ufomba Kamalu as OLB. He is a good sized 3-4 DE. If he has the athleticism to play the position then that's a big front to employ against the run.
He was impressive throughout OTAs. Not much info since on any of newbie OLBs. Will definitely look forward to watching him in preseason games. One thing we need on our D and I hope we can tap in this young man.............he played with a very distinct mean streak while at Miami. VIDEO

He was impressive throughout OTAs. Not much info since on any of newbie OLBs. Will definitely look forward to watching him in preseason games. One thing we need on our D and I hope we can tap in this young man.............he played with a very distinct mean streak while at Miami. VIDEO

6'5 300 and 35" arms... should be able to "set the edge"!

Riley McCarron Putting Together a Strong Camp for the Texans
Rookie wide receiver Riley McCarron is turning heads at training camp for the Houston Texans.

Every training camp, unfamiliar players show up and elevate the bar with strong work on the practice field. Riley McCarron has been that player for the Houston Texans this training camp. McCarron is pushing for a spot at wide receiver, putting in an impressive effort to this point while developing a relationship with Deshaun Watson on the field.

McCarron from Iowa was signed after the draft. It took him time to get on the field in Iowa but once he did, he made a solid impact during his final season for the Hawkeyes. The Texans liked what they saw and he impressed them even more at his pro day when he tested off the charts. The Texans were sold, signing him to join the team and giving him an opportunity to find a home in Housotn.

“It has been an incredible opportunity,” McCarron said. "It is fun to come out here and compete every day. Coach (Bill) O’Brien has a competitive atmosphere so everyday is like a game day out here.”

The NFL game is a big jump for any player coming out of college but McCarron listened to his coaches' advice to follow the veterans and get to work. McCarron stays quiet on the field and follows the lead of DeAndre Hopkins, using him as an example of how to operate on an NFL level. That early plan has worked for the slot wide receiver and it is paying off.

“I expected a lot and just kinda followed the older guys who set a good example,” McCarron said of the NFL game. “Kinda just follow what they do and see how they go about their daily routine and what they are doing everyday and how they hold themselves during practice. I just try to emulate what they do and stick with them.”

What has also helped is having former Iowa teammate C.J. Fiedorowicz on hand. Fiedorowicz helped McCarron from the time he arrived to Houston. McCarron was glad to see a familiar face and has used the starting tight end as a sounding board for his questions.

Fiedorowicz likes what he sees from McCarron.

“I didn't realize how quick he was, quick and fast,” Fiedorowicz said of McCarron. “His change of direction is unbelievable. He is making linebackers look silly. He is getting down the middle of the field. He caught a a lot of short balls and made a play out of it and caught the long balls. He is a great athlete and working hard.”

McCarron knows that he has to to put together solid days together and limit his mistakes because the room for error is so small. Pushing for a spot on the Texans roster is the ultimate goal but McCarron is trying to stay steady mentally and on the field, not leaving a stone unturned as the preseason progresses.

“Trying to grow each and every day and stack one day on another. Have a good day, want a better day the next day you have a bad day want to bounce back the next day,” McCarron said of the work he is putting in.

That work at practice is starting to turn heads. Working with receiver coach John Perry and Wes Welker, his knowledge of the game and offense has improved which is helping with his play.

tell me you were expecting him to pull rope out of pocket , wrap hands and legs and then look up at clock for his bull dogging time?

other thoughts: I wouldn't focus too much for now on what position a defensive player is given on depth chart or necessarily their ranking. We just might it up with some very good depth that side of ball.

No info given on anyone except Gilchrist injury I assume because of offseason?

The Texans have not been very good about playing by the rules.

NFL Media Access Policy

2017 NFL Media Access Policy (PDF Version)

Though the injury reporting policy does not begin until the week prior to the start of the regular season, clubs are expected to update media on significant injuries that occur during the offseason program, training camp and preseason games.

As a reminder, please note that because the injury reporting policy affects the integrity of the game, compliance is governed by the annual certifications required under the Integrity of the Game initiative. These certifications are required from owners, club presidents, general managers and head coaches. Club management, in consultation with its medical staff, is responsible for the accuracy and appropriateness of medical information distributed in response to public interest. Super Bowl teams are required to submit injury report information during the week between the Championship Games and Super Bowl.

I studied the Pats PS game vs the Jaguars and noticed that none of the first string on their Oline played.

I pored over the game films to look for their OT draft pick, Antonio Garcia, #63, and couldn't find him either.

They use guys listed 4th and 3rd on the depth chart mostly, sprinkling in with a few guys listed as 2nd string.

Watson was getting a handful of plays with the 1st team O. No real change.

Hey Doc, did you by chance find out if Watson was with the entire first team or just the first team OL?

I think I heard on 610 that for at least part of the practice he was with the first team OL and second team skill players, but I wasnt listenening very closely and missed part of the segment.

EDIT: Reported by Seth Payne that it was second/third team receivers, but first team everything else (no pads today)

Last edited:
Hey Doc, did you by chance find out if Watson was with the entire first team or just the first team OL?

I think I heard on 610 that for at least part of the practice he was with the first team OL and second team skill players, but I wasnt listenening very closely and missed part of the segment.

EDIT: Reported by Seth Payne that it was second/third team receivers, but first team everything else (no pads today)

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 35m35 minutes ago

Bill O’Brien’s explanation of Deshaun Watson getting work the 1s. #Texans

DHNNmj_UMAAkuok.jpg

O'Brien told media that the team is being conscious of Hopkins' workload........he's on a pitch count. He hasn't practiced in uniform the past few days, but attends practice and works on the side. Hmmm

Texans Mailbag: When Will it be Deshaun Watson's Time?
State of the Texans answers reader's questions on the Houston Texans heading into their second preseason game.
Bill O’Brien would be wise to get Deshuan Watson some work with the 1st team offense just in case something happens to Tom Savage. Savage is the starter to this point and getting Watson work with the 1s is not an issue but should not be read into more that what it is. All teams work their backup with the top unit in limited reps and getting Watson work is standard protocol.

The short leash has a checklist and it starts with not running the offense correctly and turning the ball over. If Tom Savage is able to produce and miss those road bumps, it should be fine. The leash is contingent on missing on how the offense is run and that is where the short leash is. If the Texans win early and often, it could be the year of Savage and the Deshaun Watson era could wait until 2018.
THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

Texans Mailbag: When Will it be Deshaun Watson's Time?
State of the Texans answers reader's questions on the Houston Texans heading into their second preseason game.
THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

A while ago on the radio I heard that Watson was getting a good amount of first team reps.

Someone pointed out that all of Watson's passes that were being mentioned were to and against backups and all of Savages was against the first team.

Then we also have the story of the OL coach sending the first team in with Watson at QB against the first team defense and OB saying no leave the back ups in.

Now we have this story coming out and pat saying all teams give 1st team reps to their back ups (which isn't true). On the other hand there's an ESPN article calling the rotation today a deviation from the norm.

Based on the report coming out and the fact that it was even a story and the head coach commented on it I'm guessing that there's something to it.

Matter of fact I expect Watson to get more 1st team reps and if he outshines Savage in game 2 I think he'll either outright start game three or Savage might see the first quarter and a half rather than the full 3 starters normally get in the third game.

A while ago on the radio I heard that Watson was getting a good amount of first team reps.

Someone pointed out that all of Watson's passes that were being mentioned were to and against backups and all of Savages was against the first team.

Then we also have the story of the OL coach sending the first team in with Watson at QB against the first team defense and OB saying no leave the back ups in.

Now we have this story coming out and pat saying all teams give 1st team reps to their back ups (which isn't true). On the other hand there's an ESPN article calling the rotation today a deviation from the norm.

Based on the report coming out and the fact that it was even a story and the head coach commented on it I'm guessing that there's something to it.

Matter of fact I expect Watson to get more 1st team reps and if he outshines Savage in game 2 I think he'll either outright start game three or Savage might see the first quarter and a half rather than the full 3 starters normally get in the third game.

Most teams do give the backup QB a small number of 1st team reps during preseason.

As CNND said, it depends on the team.
Watson, as the highest QB draft choice, I think, would logically get some first team reps.

Even CJ Beathard gets some first team reps behind Hoyer and Barkley in SF.
And he was just a third round pick.
Hoyer's resume is better than Savage, frankly speaking.

I would be surprised ( like in totally) if Watson doesn't get the reps.

If the increase in reps continues while we face the Pats this week in practice, I would say there is a little smoke to this fire...

As CNND said, it depends on the team.
Watson, as the highest QB draft choice, I think, would logically get some first team reps.

Even CJ Beathard gets some first team reps behind Hoyer and Barkley in SF.
And he was just a third round pick.
Hoyer's resume is better than Savage, frankly speaking.

I would be surprised ( like in totally) if Watson doesn't get the reps.

Yeah ok.

I know you guys don't want it to happen, but Watson is starting to edge Savage out.

Yeah ok.

I know you guys don't want it to happen, but Watson is starting to edge Savage out.
Sorry, I have to call it BS. On my part.

No knock on Savage, I díd not see a good reason to draft him (as a Keenum's bandwagoner, some may say.), but Savage did earn some points.

On another matter.
You, yourself, was enamoring with Mahomes.
I still considered Watson.
Tell me how many guys were considering Watson in the draft forum?
I was.

Some don't even want to have anything to do with him.
I had "an issue" with a certain evaluator not even considering him.

Sorry, I have to call it BS. On my part.

No knock on Savage, I díd not see a good reason to draft him (as a Keenum's bandwagoner, some may say.), but Savage did earn some points.

On another matter.
You, yourself, was enamoring with Mahomes.
I still considered Watson.
Tell me how many guys were considering Watson in the draft forum?
I was.

Some don't even want to have anything to do with him.
I had "an issue" with a certain evaluator not even considering him.

I can say that I wanted Watson, even started a thread called, sell out for Watson

I think Mahomes will be good, but will come with a huge risk/reward factor. Trubisky will be average.

Yeah ok.

It's true that I think Beathard (or Kizer) plus the OT Antonio Garcia (or some other lineman) plus the first in 2018 is a safer route.

It gives the team a lot of flexibility.

Now, Watson has to "compensate" for the choice the FO made.
He's not at fault as where he was drafted. I will be behind him all the way. The boy got game.

But looking at what the Texans could have done to help the QB; that's a different story,

It's been written about then and is no more significant than it has been.

OTAs are a totally different thing. What happened then makes no difference for TC. Watson was getting virtually no reps with the first team in training camp until this week. Like I said. If he continues to get more this week, then there is something to this. If not then it will be a non issue, like you suggest. We will see come Thursday

Back