Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

And there's some that don't even believe he is the Texans best dlineman. I am betting that Rick Smith as well as most other GM would take a healthy Clowney over a healthy Watt. Watt's tendency to freelance to get his numbers has hurt the Texans in the past. Unfortunately the soft local media will protect him.

Wtf is going on around here? We have one poster saying Hunt and Blue are the same and now this.

Sheer insanity aside, you really think JJ 'freelances' against the will of the coaches? Next you'll tell us Hopkins runs whatever the hell route he wants.

All of that might be right, I wasn't there. There is no disputing that Green-Beckham was traded by the Titans after one season (where he produced) and cut from the Eagles after one season. I'm not making an excuse for the guy, but he had to be disappointed going into OTAs 3rd string after the Eagles signed Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith. A mature player takes that as a challenge. An immature player will sulk, and that's probably what happened there.

The Texans are in a bad spot with the WR position. To be fair to them, they have invested heavily in draft picks at the position. And maybe Strong and Braxton Miller stay healthy and produce. But for all of Green-Beckham's worts, he has outplayed these guys in the NFL. And I don't believe his mere presence would destroy the Texans fragile chemistry. To me it's pretty simple. Bring in Green-Beckham and see what happens. If he plays as well as has the previous 2 season and keeps his nose clean, great. If he can't play or is trouble, give him the boot. I don't see a lot of options for this team.

DGB has a 48.2% catch rate. Yeah, he has more receptions and yards than anyone the Texans have, but only because he's played more games than anyone the Texans have. He's played in 13 more games than Strong with just 40 more receptions. That's about 3 per game. Not to mention just 3 more TD. Healthy, and with Strong having a catch rate of 58.3%, he'd easily put up better numbers than DGB. Granted, he needs to stay off the trainer's table, but I'm fine with not bringing in a guy who is not very good to begin with, and doesn't seem to be interested in football.

I like Watt. I think he's been the best player on our defense since his rookie season. I hope he regains form & I'm going to act like a little girl when he debuts at NRG this season.

But I ain't gone lie. Watt fatigue set in pretty good last season. I needed the break.

He is a head case and lazy. Texans wont even consider him and they shouldnt

So bring him in, and if OB can't get him right before the regular season send him packing. Does no harm to add him as a camp body and let him earn his way... or not.

Top 3 reasons JJ Watt is polarizing:
3. Some men would be upset if their wife left them for JJ (most men would say "well done honey!").
2. Most people think JJ is the best player in the league (some claim he is not a QB).
And ... 1. CLICKBAIT CLICKBAIT CLICKBAIT!!! You MUST click on my link!

you have a link? :clap:

He annoys some people, because he seems too perfect. Fact is some people will always try to knock you down a notch.

I don't have a problem with him at all. He's living every man's dream and has taken full advantage of it..especially in the bedroom. He's basically been the defensive version of Tom Brady minus the commitment of a wedding ring. :)

You just have to chalk this one up to "Haters gonna Hate", but I honestly don't think he gives a crap and isn't going to stop being who he is. What he's done is also incredibly smart..he's used football to build his brand which will ensure him a wealthy income and career after football.

Which is exactly why a few people... can't be many... see him as obnoxious and arrogant. He has an ego like all pro players and greats everywhere do.
Don't mean he's a bad guy or less than special as an athlete, but he's a man just like you and I

but he's rich and famous

Not to mention that he's represented the community as a positive role model. Is he too public about his charity work? Maybe JJ is just trying to show other athletes how it should be done.

And taking advantage while he can

As any of us would if we could

All this talk made me remember and got me thinking.. could y'all imagine if "the Boz" was coming out of college and entering the league in today's media climate? Holy crap that would be a absolute circus, hell it was back then. Lol he would fly into practice on a helicopter.. Someone like the Boz could've only existed in the 80's.. what a loud over the top tacky decade that was, cocaine is a helluva drug :)

All this talk made me remember and got me thinking.. could y'all imagine if "the Boz" was coming out of college and entering the league in today's media climate? Holy crap that would be a absolute circus, hell it was back then. Lol he would fly into practice on a helicopter.. Someone like the Boz could've only existed in the 80's.. what a loud over the top tacky decade that was, cocaine is a helluva drug :)

Certainly a change from the acid trip 60's and the White Horse 70's

Just looking at who might make the 53, I think this must be the strongest our ILB corps have ever been. Not long ago it was probably a big hole now I feel we have some really useful depth there.

Cushing, McKinney, Peters, Cunningham, Cole, Rashad.... lots of talent and complimentary skill sets.

Just looking at who might make the 53, I think this must be the strongest our ILB corps have ever been. Not long ago it was probably a big hole now I feel we have some really useful depth there.

Cushing, McKinney, Peters, Cunningham, Cole, Rashad.... lots of talent and complimentary skill sets.

You can really tell what the defense values by where they allocate their resources. We have not used much draft or free agency capital on the safety position for example. But the ILB position has received two 2nd round picks (Mckinney, Cunningham) to go along with the 1st round (Cushing) they inherited. Clearly ILB is deemed more important than safety to the success of this defense.

You can really tell what the defense values by where they allocate their resources. We have not used much draft or free agency capital on the safety position for example. But the ILB position has received two 2nd round picks (Mckinney, Cunningham) to go along with the 1st round (Cushing) they inherited. Clearly ILB is deemed more important than safety to the success of this defense.

LB is always higher drafted overall than safety... safety has never been a priority

The Real Camp Battles for the Texans Heading Into the Preseason
A closer look at the real camp battles taking place at The Greenbrier.

Discussions will continue regarding position battles for the Houston Texans but it is clear that there are situations currently occurring at training camp which are not being seen. Most pundits will discuss the quarterback situation and how that is an on-going battle but currently, that theory is far from the truth.

Here is a closer look at the real position battles that are occurring at The Greenbrier through the first two weeks.

Running Back
The Texans have a deep group here and it is more talented than expected due to some depth added by the rookies. The running back depth chart will depend on numbers kept in other spots of the roster but Akeem Hunt and Dare Ogunbowale are pushing to be included. Each player gives something different: Hunt has the speed and quickness, while Ogunbowale is a complete back when it comes to running, catching, and pass pro. It will depend on what the Texans want for the offense but at this point Hunt has the upper hand due to his experience with the team.

Wide Receiver
Outside of the top three, the Texans have to find a stabilizing player for the group. Devin Street, Wendall Williams, DeAndre White (who is now injured), Dres Anderson, Marcus Leak, Riley McCarron, Chris Thompson, and Justin Hardee are pushing to help the corps There are big questions with the wide receiver group as White was looking the best until he went down with a significant groin injury, while Williams and McCarron are probably in the next group who could possibly provide answers. There are still whispers that the Texans could be looking outside of the organization to address the situation.

Offensive Guard
This battle is shaping up for a couple of reasons and it starts with the offensive tackles. Duane Brown’s absence has essentially put the Texans focus on the four offensive tackles. When and if he returns, the Texans will start looking at the group more closely but there is a depth battle happening between David Quessenberry, Chad Slade, and Josh Walker. To this point, Walker and Slade have had the better camps and have shown that they can be physical players, especially in the run game. The physical nature of the game is where Quessenberry is trying to catch back up and show he can handle that part of football again. This is one of the more important position battles due to the significance of offensive line depth in the NFL.

Inside Linebacker
There are three worthy players who we could see during the regular season but the Texans have a good problem on their hands. Shakeel Rashad, Sio Moore, and Dylan Cole all can help this team but now it is about finding the one player who is able to help in a pinch and possibly help for the long term. Moore is the most seasoned and it shows, while Rashad is a mix of speed and power but still lacks experience, especially in the run game. Cole, however, is emerging as the favorite. He brings the right mix of being young, athletic, and a bulldog on both the defense and special teams.

Cornerback
The Texans have historically liked finding youthful, developmental cornerbacks and this year is no different. The top three are established and it appears Treston Decoud and Robert Nelson are on their way to staying with the team in Houston. The depth at cornerbacks is composed of young players but they are talented along with holdovers Denzel Rice, Marcus Roberson, plus rookies Bryce Jones and Dee Virgin. Rice and Jones have had the strongest camps of the group and it will be up to them to continue their progress.

Safety
It is clear the Texans are uneasy with their group and that was shown with the Texans bringing in Marcus Gilchrist, who is still working his way back from a knee injury. Andre Hal and Eddie Pleasant remain options who team likes in their current roles and K.J. Dillon is an emerging player who is showing that he can handle the NFL game. This leaves Corey Moore and Kurtis Drummond fighting for a roster spot but there is plenty of time for the details to be sorted out. One thing that should not be overlooked is that since the arrival of O’Brien, the Texans have signed free agent safeties like Stevie Brown and Chris Clemons only to cut them prior to the start of the season. That alone makes Gilchrist far from being safe.

Cole, however, is emerging as the favorite. He brings the right mix of being young, athletic, and a bulldog on both the defense and special teams.
%%%%%%%%
That's good news, I'm really pulling for this kid, an undrafted rookie FA signed this year from that well know football juggernaut the Missouri State Bears.

LB is always higher drafted overall than safety... safety has never been a priority

Clearly as you state (listed below) LB has been Texans go to draft position priority. Suppose that's partly due to high contact position and injury risk associated with playing linebacker in the NFL? The other aspect we talk all the time about, clearly repeated by GM Rick Smith (when you know its his pick) is BPA. I would suggest a third factor that those of us around from beginning understand this is a long process from expansion of developing roster depth. LB gives you a lot of bang for the buck and immediate impact, as opposed to developing more skill set positions like DB's or OT's. It's seriously time to look at those two positions going forward with depth currently amassed especially OT, to improve running attack and protect franchise QB

2009 1st rd. Brian Cushing
2011 2nd rd. Brooks Reed
2012 1st rd. Whitney Mercilus
2013 3rd rd. Sam Montogmery 4th rd. Trevardo Williams
2015 2nd rd. Benardrick McKinney
2017 2nd rd. Zach Cunningham

Reactions: JB
Looking forward to seeing the new batch of youngsters. A couple of our draftniks were high on Cole prior to the draft. I've read a lot of good things about Decoud in camp and really want to see what he's about. And of course, can't wait for Watson's debut. Should be a fun preseason.

I've been one of Clowney's biggest fans since he was drafted here. I think this could be the year he breaks out and becomes the superstar many foresaw. But there's not a team in the league that would take a heathly Clowney over a healthy Watt. That's a joke.

Clowney had his best year as a DE with his hand in the dirt lined up as a 5 technique on the OT's outside shoulder. This year he's back at OLB standing up again at the 7 technique where in the past he was average and ordinary. Anyone else concerned?

Clowney had his best year as a DE with his hand in the dirt lined up as a 5 technique on the OT's outside shoulder. This year he's back at OLB standing up again at the 7 technique where in the past he was average and ordinary. Anyone else concerned?

Anyone else think that Clowney isn't going to be lined up like a DE with his hand in the dirt for the majority of his play this year? C'mon man, it's a depth chart thing. They are going to use him how he is most successful. RAC and Vrabel didn't get stupid all of a sudden.

I question if that is the most effective use of our talent. If Clowney and Mercilus both play outside, it means one of them is going to be playing outside of Watt which makes them just a role player in our defense (edge setting, occasional pass rush and some coverage responsibilities). Mercilus is one of the best pass rushers in the league over the last year and a half, I don't want to see him or Clowney playing that position. IMO we should keep Clowney inside playing 5 tech, with Mercilus outside of him, then play Scarlett or Cushing outside of Watt.

About half way through the season we will be hearing, "Mercilus is regressing, why does he only have 2 sacks?"

Anyone else think that Clowney isn't going to be lined up like a DE with his hand in the dirt for the majority of his play this year? C'mon man, it's a depth chart thing. They are going to use him how he is most successful. RAC and Vrabel didn't get stupid all of a sudden.
Yea he's gonna be in a three-point stance most of the time, and probably from any and all positions on the line possibly even including NT.
It doesn't matter if they got him at safety in the DC because like you say Rac & Vrabel know what they've got and how best to use him.

At this point in the (pre) season, I'm more worried about health than I am positions. Our best pass rushers will be on the field when we need a pass rush. How they're mixed and labeled isn't relevant. Who would you double; JJ, Clowney, Merci? Can't give them all extra attention.

All of that might be right, I wasn't there. There is no disputing that Green-Beckham was traded by the Titans after one season (where he produced) and cut from the Eagles after one season. I'm not making an excuse for the guy, but he had to be disappointed going into OTAs 3rd string after the Eagles signed Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith. A mature player takes that as a challenge. An immature player will sulk, and that's probably what happened there.

The Texans are in a bad spot with the WR position. To be fair to them, they have invested heavily in draft picks at the position. And maybe Strong and Braxton Miller stay healthy and produce. But for all of Green-Beckham's worts, he has outplayed these guys in the NFL. And I don't believe his mere presence would destroy the Texans fragile chemistry. To me it's pretty simple. Bring in Green-Beckham and see what happens. If he plays as well as has the previous 2 season and keeps his nose clean, great. If he can't play or is trouble, give him the boot. I don't see a lot of options for this team.
I just don't see O'Brien welcoming a guy who, by all indications, is a "me, me, me" guy and not a "good teammate". I just don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Texans waive conque and sign OT Terry Poole.

I thought I saw somewhere some reporter saying Conque was pretty impressive so far and was pushing Stephen Anderson?

I just don't see O'Brien welcoming a guy who, by all indications, is a "me, me, me" guy and not a "good teammate". I just don't see that happening.
That may be true, but his mentor (Belichick) would make the move in a heartbeat if he thought he really needed Green-Beckham. Nobody would make the guy someone to build around. Signing him is a "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" situation. Look at the roster. The Texans are an injury away from starting guys like Williams or Street. For a team trying to compete, that's an emergency.

Yea he's gonna be in a three-point stance most of the time, and probably from any and all positions on the line possibly even including NT.
It doesn't matter if they got him at safety in the DC because like you say Rac & Vrabel know what they've got and how best to use him.

Nah, man. He is listed as an OLB, so he will be locked in as an OLB...every snap...every game. No way our unimaginative defensive staff would ever think to use him all over the line. Besides, everyone knows he is only effective at DE and has absolutely no talent playing from the interior or the outside.

/sarcasm :slapfight:

Texans waive conque and sign OT Terry Poole.

I thought I saw somewhere some reporter saying Conque was pretty impressive so far and was pushing Stephen Anderson?

Seem more buzz about the other rookie TE than Conque. Bayliss seems to be building a connection with the backup QBs.

Looking at the possible roster again, apart from OL which is obviously a **** show, the other space I'm uneasy is at OLB.

If Clowney is a DE most of the time, who backs up Scarlett and Merci?

And are we sure Scarlett is an NFL starter yet?

I've been one of Clowney's biggest fans since he was drafted here. I think this could be the year he breaks out and becomes the superstar many foresaw. But there's not a team in the league that would take a heathly Clowney over a healthy Watt. That's a joke.
I'm not so sure. Which guy has the bigger contract and has had more back surgeries?
:D

I question if that is the most effective use of our talent. If Clowney and Mercilus both play outside, it means one of them is going to be playing outside of Watt which makes them just a role player in our defense (edge setting, occasional pass rush and some coverage responsibilities). Mercilus is one of the best pass rushers in the league over the last year and a half, I don't want to see him or Clowney playing that position. IMO we should keep Clowney inside playing 5 tech, with Mercilus outside of him, then play Scarlett or Cushing outside of Watt.

About half way through the season we will be hearing, "Mercilus is regressing, why does he only have 2 sacks?"

They will move those guys all over the line of scrimmage.

pre-pre-preseason depth chart released....

580DepthChartCarolina.jpg

hmmmm...
I thought Carlos Watkins would back up Reader at NT

I
pre-pre-preseason depth chart released....

580DepthChartCarolina.jpg

hmmmm...
I thought Carlos Watkins would back up Reader at NT
Watkins played the Nose (and the 3 technique) with Clemson, but despite his athleticism, his biggest criticism coming into the NFL was that his body was built with too much weight on top and too little base on the bottom........something that would not make a good situation for a solid anchor at the Nose, especially when double-teamed. Looks like the Texans have come to the conclusion that DE would give him the best chance to succeed in the NFL.

I

Watkins played the Nose (and the 3 technique) with Clemson, but despite his athleticism, his biggest criticism coming into the NFL was that his body was built with too much weight on top and too little base on the bottom........something that would not make a good situation for a solid anchor at the Nose, especially when double-teamed. Looks like the Texans have come to the conclusion that DE would give him the best chance to succeed in the NFL.

End in the 3/4, sliding inside in 4 man fronts I expect.

Really interested in Ufomba Kamalu as OLB. He is a good sized 3-4 DE. If he has the athleticism to play the position then that's a big front to employ against the run.

I

He also played the 5 Technique at Clemson.

KJo has overtaken KJack on the outside. Figured as such but it's the first time I've seen it on the depth chart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KJo has overtaken KJack on the outside. Figured as such but it's the first time I've seen it on the depth chart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Whats happened to KJax last couple of years? Seems like he's fallen off in performance just a tad after beginning to look like he might become a high level CB.

That said, his qualities playing close to the LOS may well help in the slot, which is a very important position for quality D play as it takes away the release valve for opposing QBs.

Whats happened to KJax last couple of years? Seems like he's fallen off in performance just a tad after beginning to look like he might become a high level CB.

That said, his qualities playing close to the LOS may well help in the slot, which is a very important position for quality D play as it takes away the release valve for opposing QBs.

I thought I heard he would be switching to safety at some point?

He played 61% at the slot last year.
Even played 11 snaps at FS against the Pats in the playoffs.
They were given him snaps at safety in TC as well.
I believe RAC just matched him up game to game according to needs.

Back