Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2016 NFL Power Rankings

Growing up an Oilers fan I really do miss the AFC Central. I really don't like the Colts but no matter how good they have been, they still don't bring the same rivalry feeling as did the Steelers.
Agreed. They intensity of that rivalry will never be matched. Oiler fans hated the Steelers. Especially after Mike Renfro's touchdown reception that was called out of bounds when he was clearly in. That play would have changed that game.

Last edited:
Agreed. They intensity of that rivalry will never be matched. Oiler hands hated the Steelers. Especially after Billy "White Shoes" Johnson's touchdown reception that was called out of bounds when he was clearly in. That play would have changed that game.

That was Mike Renfro. I remember going to the Astrodome after that game for rally. It was crazy.

I think saying it was the main reason is a bit of an overstatement considering the replay system wasn't adopted until the 1986 season.
"One of the main plays" isn't equal to "The Main Reason", but the NFL started formal testing of instant replay in 1978. http://operations.nfl.com/the-game/history-of-instant-replay/

Renfro being a major contributor to that cause isn't much of a stretch.

Though it was hardly a case of a swift cause-and-effect process, the non-touchdown by Renfro in the AFC title game was seen as the first major blow in what became a drumbeat for replay reviews in the NFL. It took another six years for the league to finally work out the details of a replay system and install it in time for the 1986 season, but it was the injustice Renfro received during his 15 minutes of fame that got the ball rolling and made the booth review a part of the NFL landscape.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2010/06/04/nfl-replay

NFL.com also has us at 13.

The questions about J.J. Watt's health linger, but where does this team stand in the AFC South? There are plenty of folks who feel this is the Jags' year. Colts fans responded en masse (angrily) when I predicted on NFL Network that they would finish 7-9. Indy does have the best quarterback in the division. All that said, Bill O'Brien inherited a 2-14 team and immediately posted a pair of 9-7 campaigns. And that was with complete turmoil under center. Brock Osweiler may or may not be the answer, but it's difficult to imagine him not being an upgrade. Thus, HOU > JAC > IND. For now.

I don't have a problem with that, but I don't think we're behind the Redskins at twelve (could very well have been a toss up), the Raiders at 10 & the Vikings at 8... just not seeing that, or the NFL is pretty weak this year.

Still think "we're a damn good team"?

As a matter of fact I do.

A lot of mistakes made tonight, by a lot of people I don't consider starters. But we only committed 3 penalties, there was a lot of good effort, & as bad as it was, we only gave up 13 points.

Listening to Osweiler & O'b after the game, it's clear they aren't thinking about this game the way we are. They're getting ready for September 11 & it sounds like they have a good handle on everything.

NFL.com Power Rankings

NFL.com had the Texans ranked 13 in the preseason but moved the Texans up 1 spot in the season beginning week 1 Power Rankings.

RANK

TEXANS

Boy, people sure are jazzed about Lamar Miller's potential. In real life and the fantasy world! In the NFL Fantasy Live draft, Miller went in the first round. He possesses the ability to make everyone around him better. Veering off the national look (and fantasy perspective), I'd be willing to bet true blue Texans fans are more interested in what Jadeveon Clowney will bring to the table. Clowney's upside is higher than Miller's. Imagine his potential coupled with a healthy J.J. Watt. I'm sure you can. That's why Houston took him No. 1 overall in 2014. In case you were wondering: The first RB off the board in that '14 draft was Bishop Sankey, to the Titans at No. 54.Tennessee just released him.

We're the best. We'll win the next ten superbowls in a row.

I wonder what the NFL would do if someone actually did go on a 10 Super Bowl winning run. I know it's impossible but can you imagine what it would be like to see the same team win 2, 3, 4, and so on titles in a row. I bet they'd be desperate for that team to get lost for a while and I bet ratings would hit the floor.... or would they?

Maybe it would be like when a team goes on a long winning streak where everyone starts paying attention just to see when it finally ends.

For whatever reason, the fans are hungry for a three-peat.

You're a dynasty if you get three in a decade.

according to nfl.com

"Expecting Brock to win in his debut is a bit too much"

Video [00:53]

I know nothing is guaranteed and it's not to say that the Texans can't lose this Sunday, but he stepped in for a hurt Manning after having no meaningful playing time his first three seasons, and went 5-2 in a heated playoff race. I'm not sure that starting his first game for the Texans against the Bears is going to be as "deer in the headlights" as they are making it out to be. Learning a new system or not.

I know nothing is guaranteed and it's not to say that the Texans can't lose this Sunday, but he stepped in for a hurt Manning after having no meaningful playing time his first three seasons, and went 5-2 in a heated playoff race. I'm not sure that starting his first game for the Texans against the Bears is going to be as "deer in the headlights" as they are making it out to be. Learning a new system or not.

I don't particularly like or normally agree with Cris Collingsworth, but he said that the pressure that Osweiler had last year was a heckuva lot more than the pressure he's going to be under this year. At least in these first few games.

Yahoo!

14. Vikings
13. Jets
12. Raiders
11. Giants
10. Broncos
9. Houston Texans (LW: 12)

Now that I’ve seen Brock Osweiler have a positive game in the third preseason week and J.J. Watt looks on track to play Week 1, I can feel good again about moving the Texans up a bit. I like their potential

8. Chiefs
7. Bengals
6. Packers
5. Steelers

This is pretty much the way I rank it. The number... may be high or low, but this is the group of teams I believe the Texans are on part with. Some teams have better offenses, or better established QBs but as a team, I think we'really in this group.

This is from Business Insider

10. Houston Texans

10-houston-texans.jpg

Gary Landers/AP
Last year: 9-7, first in AFC South

Week 1 opponent:
vs. Chicago Bears

Potential breakout player: Rookie wide receiver Will Fuller has already shown chemistry with new quarterback Brock Osweiler, and with DeAndre Hopkins likely seeing double-teams, Fuller could be the beneficiary of easier coverage.

One thing to know: The Texans' revamped offense has gotten much of the attention, but the defense should remain strong, especially with JJ Watt looking to be ready for Week 1 after offseason back surgery.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rankings-week-1-panthers-top-cardinals-hawks

TEXANS

Boy, people sure are jazzed about Lamar Miller's potential. In real life and the fantasy world! In the NFL Fantasy Live draft, Miller went in the first round. He possesses the ability to make everyone around him better. Veering off the national look (and fantasy perspective), I'd be willing to bet true blue Texans fans are more interested in what Jadeveon Clowney will bring to the table. Clowney's upside is higher than Miller's. Imagine his potential coupled with a healthy J.J. Watt. I'm sure you can. That's why Houston took him No. 1 overall in 2014. In case you were wondering: The first RB off the board in that '14 draft was Bishop Sankey, to the Titans at No. 54. Tennessee just released him.

Bwhahahaah 18 wow are these jokers serious.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/09/06/week-one-nfl-power-rankings.html

18. Houston Texans (15)

Aug 28, 2016; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler (17) looks for an open receiver during the second quarter against the Arizona Cardinals at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

Houston has done some good things, and done some bad things this preseason. The $18 million question is: Can Brock Osweiler carry the load over the course of 16 games? Time will tell.

NFL.com Power Rankings Week 2

RANK

1-0 TEXANS

What a fantastic matchup we'll have down in Houston this weekend. If I could get off work,Chiefs-Texans is the game I would go to ... catch brunch at Georges off Westheimer in Midtown, then head down to Reliant to catch Jadeveon Clowney get another sack. Speaking of, he racked up four tackles and a quarterback trap in Chicago on Sunday. Lamar Miller produced a 100-yard outing in his first game in a Texans uniform. Will Fuller posted 100 yards in his first game as a pro. Brock Osweiler? Solid.

Texans move up 1 spot after beating the Bears.

FOX Sports Week 2 Power Rankings

Houston Texans (last week: 13)
The Texans finally have an offense to go along with their stout defense. Brock Osweiler made a few errors, but he appears to have solidified the quarterback position in Houston. And with the defense playing as well as it did on Sunday, the Texans are favorites in the AFC South.

FOX Sports Week 2 Power Rankings

Houston Texans (last week: 13)
The Texans finally have an offense to go along with their stout defense. Brock Osweiler made a few errors, but he appears to have solidified the quarterback position in Houston. And with the defense playing as well as it did on Sunday, the Texans are favorites in the AFC South.

I question that they have the Vikings, Raiders & KC ahead of us. The Raiders & KC gave up over 30 points. The Vikings didn't score an offensive touchdown.

I also question the Bengals at 5. Seems kind of high.

NFL.com Power Rankings Week 3

Houston Texans ranked 6. Up 5 Spots

2-0 TEXANS

Not to be all hot dogs and apple pie here, but the start of the 2016 campaign has gone about as well as a random Saturday night at Gilley's in 1980. Sorry -- dated reference there. Google it, kids. Quality defense and rookies contributing from Day 1 will never go out of style. Through two games, the Texans have allowed all of 26 points, while rookie Will Fuller has notched a pair of 100-yard games. Oh, almost forgot: Houston has twice the amount of wins as the rest of the AFC South combined.

NFL.COM power rankings:

the Patriots.

RANK

2-0 TEXANS

Not to be all hot dogs and apple pie here, but the start of the 2016 campaign has gone about as well as a random Saturday night at Gilley's in 1980. Sorry -- dated reference there. Google it, kids. Quality defense and rookies contributing from Day 1 will never go out of style. Through two games, the Texans have allowed all of 26 points, while rookie Will Fuller has notched a pair of 100-yard games. Oh, almost forgot: Houston has twice the amount of wins as the rest of the AFC South combined.

Reactions: ROO
ummmm, why is the Week 3 nfl.com write up in the thread three times??
:confused:
Anyway....

USA Today
7 Houston Texans
Record: 2-0
Move: Up 4
High/Low: 7 / 12
WR Will Fuller is first rookie drafted in first round to have at least 100 receiving yards in each of his club's first two games in a season.

Yahoo Sports
7. Houston Texans (2-0, Last Wk: 8)
The Texans haven’t allowed a touchdown for six straight quarters. Their defense is nasty. But if they want to be known as more than the best team in a bad division, they have to beat the New England Patriots with Jacoby Brissett starting on Thursday night. A loss there, no matter how good the Patriots are at coaching up whoever is starting for them, would show the Texans are still a ways off from being a contender.

Last edited:
NFL.COM power rankings:

the Patriots.

RANK

2-0 TEXANS

Posted 2 posts before yours. lol

ummmm, why is the Week 3 nfl.com write up in the thread three times??
:confused:
Anyway....

USA Today
7 Houston Texans
Record: 2-0
Move: Up 4
High/Low: 7 / 12
WR Will Fuller is first rookie drafted in first round to have at least 100 receiving yards in each of his club's first two games in a season.

Yahoo Sports
7. Houston Texans (2-0, Last Wk: 8)
The Texans haven’t allowed a touchdown for six straight quarters. Their defense is nasty. But if they want to be known as more than the best team in a bad division, they have to beat the New England Patriots with Jacoby Brissett starting on Thursday night. A loss there, no matter how good the Patriots are at coaching up whoever is starting for them, would show the Texans are still a ways off from being a contender.

That Yahoo Sports writer really needs to try harder. To be more than the best team in a bad division, they have to go beat a rookie 3rd string QB???

That Yahoo Sports writer really needs to try harder. To be more than the best team in a bad division, they have to go beat a rookie 3rd string QB???

Even with a 3rd string rookie QB they are still the NE Patriots. No one just "goes into Foxborough and just winz".

Even if the Texans somehow win sadly it will still be "but they didnt have Brady"

Back