Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2016 FirstPick Draft Simulator

It's all about cost-benefit analysis. I just don't have RBs rated as highly as NT right now.
After the first 4, the falloff at NT is extreme while there are numerous RBs who are good if not elite.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted

Actually, in two of my three turns at playing draft master, Goff, Cook, and Wentz were all gone by pick 22.
In the 2nd try Cook was still there.
That also played into why I went RB in the first. I figured someone I'd like would be there in round two.
And from what I've read about Prescott I'm not too sad I missed out on those others.

I'm not sure what you've read about Dak, but it must have been a doozy to make missing out on Goff, Wentz, or even Cook, seem ok in comparison.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted
"if a player is there you like and he's top of your board"

How can you possibly see no connection?

I think you're just being that Old Curmudgeon again.

Your score is: 8503 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 13 (NYG): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (A)
Round 2 Pick 20 (NYJ): Darian Thompson, FS, Boise State (A)
Round 2 Pick 22: Joshua Perry, OLB/ILB, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 4 (BALT): Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: Adam Gotsis, DT/DE, Georgia Tech (A-)
Round 4 Pick 26 (SEA): Bryce Williams, TE, East Carolina (A)
Round 4 Pick 31 (ARI): Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 13 (NYG): Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland (A+)
Round 5 Pick 20: Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT, TCU (A+)
Round 6 Pick 7 (JAX): Cre'von LeBlanc, CB, Florida Atlantic (A)
Round 6 Pick 31 (ARI): Joel Heath, DT/DE, Michigan State (A-)
Round 7 Pick 23 (K.C.): Nelson Spruce, WR, Colorado (A+)
Round 7 Pick 25 (PITT): Brian Poole, CB, Florida (A)
Round 7 Pick 27 (DEN): Keenan Reynolds, QB, Navy (A-)

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

I'm not sure what you've read about Dak, but it must have been a doozy to make missing out on Goff, Wentz, or even Cook, seem ok in comparison.
I dunno.... 3400+ yds, 25 passing TDs, 10 more rushing this year and only 4 INTs against SEC competition.
Cook's coming off a shoulder injury. Yeah, yeah, he'll likely be just fine. But still...
Wentz hasn't played against same level of competition as either Cook or Prescott.
And Goff? I'm just not a fan of drafting juniors at the QB position. RB? Sure. But not at QB; that extra season of experience is very valuable at that position.
And admittedly, that's just my hang-up.

oh and check the link I posted. Lots of good opinions on Prescott.
Good leader on and off the field. Works his butt off. Not a prima donna.
Did I mention only 4 picks in 435 attempts. Indicates good decision making to me.
Best RB in the draft and a hard-working, top flight QB who's willing to work.
That's something I can work with.

I dunno.... 3400+ yds, 25 passing TDs, 10 more rushing this year and only 4 INTs against SEC competition.
Cook's coming off a shoulder injury. Yeah, yeah, he'll likely be just fine. But still...
Wentz hasn't played against same level of competition as either Cook or Prescott.
And Goff? I'm just not a fan of drafting juniors at the QB position. RB? Sure. But not at QB; that extra season of experience is very valuable at that position.

Did I mention only 4 picks in 435 attempts. Indicates good decision making to me.
I must admit, I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Prescotts the closer we get to the draft

So you'd not have picked Aaron Rodgers coming out as a junior?

I don't doubt at all that Prescott is a very hard worker. Don't know that all the hard work in the world will help his accuracy or ability to anticipate tight NFL windows at this point in his career though. I actually think he could make a pretty valuable backup in the league, just wouldn't put my franchise's eggs in his basket is all.

What team am I drafting for back in 2005??
What other needs does my team have? Where does QB fit on that list of needs?
GB didn't need Rodgers to start right away.

I don't doubt at all that Prescott is a very hard worker. Don't know that all the hard work in the world will help his accuracy or ability to anticipate tight NFL windows at this point in his career though. I actually think he could make a pretty valuable backup in the league, just wouldn't put my franchise's eggs in his basket is all.
Aaaah but all my eggs aren't in that basket. Savage, having been in the system for the past two seasons, is the heir apparent to Hoyer and now I've got time to groom Prescott to be the backup or take the reigns in 2017. Just like GB let Rodgers take over for Favre.

Aaaah but all my eggs aren't in that basket. Savage, having been in the system for the past two seasons, is the heir apparent to Hoyer so now I've got time to groom Prescott to be the backup or take the reigns in 2017. Just like GB had time to get Rodgers ready to take over for Favre.
See how that works? Draft for need; immediate or future. But draft for need.

Last edited:

Aaaah but all my eggs aren't in that basket. Savage, having been in the system for the past two seasons, is the heir apparent to Hoyer so now I've got time to groom Prescott to be the backup or take the reigns in 2017. Just like GB had time to get Rodgers ready to take over for Favre.
See how that works?

- You made a statement about drafting juniors, Rodgers was a true junior, would you draft him to your football team (this football team) in the first round or not?

- Ok, if you want all your eggs to be in a combination of Savage and Prescott's basket that's fair. I personally wouldn't, but ok.

ESPN Announcer: ...And so the Houston Texans have now successfully traded for every single pick in the 5th round - which is getting ready to start. We'll be right back after this 3 hour commercial break.

Exactly! And we'd all be sitting there itching for news. ESPN would talk about the Pats the entire time.

- You made a statement about drafting juniors, Rodgers was a true junior, would you draft him to your football team (this football team) in the first round or not?
Answering questions in the absolute is a bit unwise. Especially with no situation information.
But that's all some folks understand to I'll say "yes". I probably would have.
Why go against my "rule", you ask?
Well, the 2005 draft was light on quality QBs so if I wanted one, Rodgers was one of the top prospects even as a junior. I mean my other choices, in 2005, were Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Dan Orlovsky, and others whose names I don't even recognize. So, yes, I most likely would have chosen Rodgers over those other guys.

It's not fair to make the choice - or ask the question - based on what I know ten years down the road.
And I said "I'm not a fan..." That doesn't I'd never, ever do so.

Last edited:
Savage is as much the heir apparent as the Duke of Essex.
If Savage isn't being groomed to take the reigns then O'Brien wasted a pick and two years worth of training time.
I mean why draft a guy you don't think can run your team at some point?
Do you believe in drafting guys only to be backups?

Your score is: 7684 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 1 (TENN): Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State (A)
Round 2 Pick 22: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah (B+)
Round 3 Pick 1 (TENN): Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas (A)
Round 3 Pick 22: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 1 (TENN): Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 22: Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State (A-)
Round 5 Pick 20: Tom Hackett, P, Utah (A+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 7 Pick 20: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (A+)

Answering questions in the absolute is a bit unwise. Especially with no situation information.
But that's all some folks understand to I'll say "yes". I probably would have.
Why go against my "rule", you ask?
Well, the 2005 draft was light on quality QBs so if I wanted one, Rodgers was one of the top prospects even as a junior. I mean my other choices, in 2005, were Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Dan Orlovsky, and others whose names I don't even recognize. So, yes, I most likely would have chosen Rodgers over those other guys.

It's not fair to make the choice - or ask the question - based on what I know ten years down the road.

I agree that hindsight skews things. That is completely fair.

That said, giving answers in absolutes where more variables are considerable is really only as unwise as having steadfast rules in absolutes where more variables are considerable. And that was the whole point of my asking when you presented such a "rule".

Anyway, this started with me asking what you saw in Prescott, and though we disagree you certainly gave feedback, so thanks yo.

I agree that hindsight skews things. That is completely fair.

That said, giving answers in absolutes where more variables are considerable is really only as unwise as having steadfast rules in absolutes where more variables are considerable. And that was the whole point of my asking when you presented such a "rule".

Anyway, this started with me asking what you saw in Prescott, and though we disagree you certainly gave feedback, so thanks yo.
Well we actually agree on the no absolutes thing. And if you go back to the statement that started this discussion you'll see it's not an absolute "rule".
I said "I'm not a fan..." That doesn't mean I'd never, ever do so.

If Savage isn't being groomed to take the reigns then O'Brien wasted a pick and two years worth of training time.
I mean why draft a guy you don't think can run your team at some point?
Do you believe in drafting guys only to be backups?

Do I really have to invoke the Dumb and Dumber meme?

Late round QB's are being brought in as backups with a lottery ticket pinned to their shirt.

Only draftniks and homer optimists think their coach was calling his shot on a starter.

Do I really have to invoke the Dumb and Dumber meme?

Late round QB's are being brought in as backups with a lottery ticket pinned to their shirt.

Only draftniks and homer optimists think their coach was calling his shot on a starter.
Then, given our sorry QB situation, why draft a guy just to be a backup.
Of course neither of us are happy with O'Brien's handling of our QB situation.

Well we actually agree on the no absolutes thing. And if you go back to the statement that started this discussion you'll see it's not an absolute "rule".
I said "I'm not a fan..." That doesn't mean I'd never, ever do so.
I absolutely agree...wait...Uh?

Then, given our sorry QB situation, why draft a guy just to be a backup.
Of course neither of us are happy with O'Brien's handling of our QB situation.

How would you have handled the QB situation differently? It wasn't BOB's fault that Hoyer/Yates got hurt or that Mallett flaked out.

Personally I would've started Mallett from the start of TC and let the chips fall where they may. But I'm speculating that McNair didn't want Mallett to be the face of his franchise. Mallett wasn't good for the corporate brand.

GAME OVER!

Your score is: 7365 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25 (PITT): Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 22: Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 22: De'Runnya Wilson, WR, Mississippi State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 25 (PITT): Brandon Shell, OT, South Carolina (B)
Round 4 Pick 22: Chris Jones, DT/DE, Mississippi State (C+)
Round 4 Pick 25 (PITT): Bryce Williams, TE, East Carolina (A)
Round 5 Pick 20: Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Roberto Aguayo, K, Florida State (A-)
Round 7 Pick 20: Cole Toner, OT, Harvard (A-)

How would you have handled the QB situation differently? It wasn't BOB's fault that Hoyer/Yates got hurt or that Mallett flaked out.

Personally I would've started Mallett from the start of TC and let the chips fall where they may. But I'm speculating that McNair didn't want Mallett to be the face of his franchise. Mallett wasn't good for the corporate brand.

Why would you speculate McNair instead of OB? And why re-sign Mallett if McNair didn't like him? And why would a Texan be a bad face of the franchise (the purported misbehavior didn't come until the very end)?

Why would you speculate McNair instead of OB? And why re-sign Mallett if McNair didn't like him? And why would a Texan be a bad face of the franchise (the purported misbehavior didn't come until the very end)?

When Hoyer got the job at the begining of the season, McNair came out on 610 and said that there was more to being the QB of the Texans than being the most talented QB.

Can somebody post a link to the simulator?

Last edited:
Your score is: 8348 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 22: Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 29 (CINN): Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, Southern California (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah (A+)
Round 3 Pick 29 (CINN): Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: Adam Gotsis, DT/DE, Georgia Tech (A-)
Round 5 Pick 20: Ricky Seals-Jones, WR, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Brian Poole, CB, Florida (A-)

Sent from the future...

Your score is: 8909 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29 (CINN): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 22: Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA (A+)
Round 2 Pick 29 (CINN): Joshua Perry, OLB/ILB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: Kenyan Drake, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 20: Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland (A+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa (A+)

I couldn't care less about someone picking a k/p late. I've done it. I was jabbin the guy about drafting the same P in every mock he's done.

Aye yi yi.

He's the only one that's been on the best remaining value board when I get to 2nd pick in round 5 :D

In several of mine, I've been drafting Ks and Ps late.
They made a change to Roberto Agayuo (SIC) a while back. He used to be as highly ranked, but would not get you a descent grade even well below his draft position (usually about 50). But that has now changed so drafting him in the third is a good scoring move. You used to have to wait to the sixth to get an A.

Your score is: 7393 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 6 (BALT): Jared Goff, QB, California (A+)
Round 2 Pick 22: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas (B+)
Round 3 Pick 22: Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas (A)
Round 4 Pick 22: Bralon Addison, WR, Oregon (B+)
Round 5 Pick 20: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Roberto Aguayo, K, Florida State (A)
Round 7 Pick 20: Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2018 Round 1 Pick

I'd take that draft and be happy.

Your score is: 8894 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 26 (K.C.): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (B)
Round 2 Pick 32 (CAR): Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22: Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26 (K.C.): Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas (A+)
Round 3 Pick 32 (CAR): Karl Joseph, SS, West Virginia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26 (K.C.): Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 32 (CAR): Adam Gotsis, DT/DE, Georgia Tech (A)
Round 5 Pick 20: Bralon Addison, WR, Oregon (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Ka'imi Fairbairn, K, UCLA (A-)

Your score is: 8111 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 12 (N.O.): Jared Goff, QB, California (A+)
Round 3 Pick 3 (S.D.): Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 8 (MIA): Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1 (TENN): Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas (A+)
Round 4 Pick 12 (N.O.): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (A)
Round 4 Pick 22: Dadi Nicolas, OLB, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 5 Pick 20: Roberto Aguayo, K, Florida State (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Taveze Calhoun, CB, Mississippi State (A+)

Back