Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2015 Roster & cap FA returning

According to overthecap.com and based on a $142 million cap:

0U7AOc8.png

Tell me how the Broncos are 8th in cap space with all of the players they've added in FA?

Great drafting and smart contracts. All those draft picks will need to get paid though here in the next couple of years.

Ex, their starting CB's combine cap charge a tick over $9m. Both are quality players. We have one guy that is worse than both of their CB's with a $12m cap hit, and no other quality starter on the other side of the field. And they have Roby waiting ready to go when Talib leaves after 2015.

They only have 41 players in that number and they have some high dollar folks like both the Thomases to re-sign/replace.

Yea that number is off. I believe they have 58 players under contract for 2015 with ~$26m in space using the Top 51 rule.

Broncos have a long list of quality free agents.

Yea that number is off. I believe they have 58 players under contract for 2015 with ~$26m in space using the Top 51 rule.

Broncos have a long list of quality free agents.

Just noticed the signed number looking at spotrac.

Yes they will spend much more keeping their FAs than the Texans will.

Side note, NFLPA announced 4 teams were under the 89% spending trenche, and will need to spend some serious money in the next two years. Guessing that is Oakland, Jax, Cleveland...not sure who the fourth would be. This is for cash spend, not cap spend. Not in a good position to be in when you have too much cap space.

Side note, NFLPA announced 4 teams were under the 89% spending trenche, and will need to spend some serious money in the next two years. Guessing that is Oakland, Jax, Cleveland...not sure who the fourth would be. This is for cash spend, not cap spend. Not in a good position to be in when you have too much cap space.

I saw an article the other day saying the Texans were one of them. Struck me as wrong so I didn't post it.

I saw an article the other day saying the Texans were one of them. Struck me as wrong so I didn't post it.

Do you have a link? I've been trying to find out who the 4 teams are.

According to OTC, for cash spending, Houston was 28th in 2013, and moving up in 2014 & 2015.

Sorry, no. My reaction was bunk and so just passed on by. Just tried searching and didn't find it. The Jags were also listed.

Schaub did suck up a lot of the cap with dead money but I still find it hard to believe.

Shocking

Probably a BS article. But we will see. I cant imagine this being true with AJ/Cushing/Watt's contract.

What everyone needs to keep in mind is this rule is on money paid out, not cap hit. So signing bonus isn't prorated for this examination.

Also, iirc this is not a year by year examination, it is over a 4? year stretch.

With the other division teams in the top 6 are we in more hot water than a bag of Lipton tea?

According to OTC, for cash spending, Houston was 28th in 2013, and moving up in 2014 & 2015.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
Graphic shows at least 8 teams -- Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Patriots, Saints, Giants, Jets, Raiders -- have spent below 4-year cash required.

DeMaurice Smith says NFLPA will issue its own salary cap projections for the first time. Wants to counter "inaccurate" NFL projections.

NFLPA to give own salary-cap projection for 2015
Last year, for instance, the cap jumped from $123 million to a record $133 million – much higher than the league's original projections. The NFL management council informed teams last month the 2015 cap is expected to be $138.6 million to $141.8 million. The union disagrees and will issue its own projections before the NFL scouting combine begins Feb. 17, Smith said.

"The last few years, you have seen various stories reported by some of you in the room … where you have reported things about the salary cap from ownership that has turned out to not be true," Smith said in the media conference.

"We believe that that not only misrepresents the economic reality of how the salary cap works, but our concern is that those inaccurate projections may have a negative consequence on some players who are trying to negotiate new contracts."

The 2011 collective-bargaining agreement moved to a revenue-sharing model in which players are guaranteed 46% to 48% of all league revenue each year in cash. Over the four-year periods from 2013 to '16 and 2017 to '20, each team must hit the 89% cash spending minimum. League-wide cash spending must hit 95% of the cap. If it doesn't, the difference is handed over anyway and the union can distribute it to players.

Teams that didn't hit the 89% minimum in 2013, per the union, were the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins. League-wide spending was well above the minimum at 99.64%, according to the union's numbers.

The 2014 spending numbers won't be finalized until the league year ends in March and any discrepancies over revenue are resolved. But the union believes eight teams are under the cash minimum as of now...

So it means nothing right now.

No, just need to get to the 89% through '16.

Now I see why the used the $10 million roster bonus for JJ Watt in 2015 to up the cash spend.

The team has a good chunk of cap space for 2016, expect to see some new decent sized contracts with GTD money to increase the cash spend.

Now I see why the used the $10 million roster bonus for JJ Watt in 2015 to up the cash spend.

The team has a good chunk of cap space for 2016, expect to see some new decent sized contracts with GTD money to increase the cash spend.

Lets hope so,

Does it surprise you to find out the Texans were only one of four teams not to spend up to 89% last yr?

Lets hope so,

Does it surprise you to find out the Texans were only one of four teams not to spend up to 89% last yr?

No since the team hasn't signed any big contracts (outside of Watt). The team's cash spend is already 12th for 2015. Looks like they are in good position.

No since the team hasn't signed any big contracts (outside of Watt). The team's cash spend is already 12th for 2015. Looks like they are in good position.

No excuses not to go out and fill a couple of needs in FA. Guess we will find out how Smith/Gaine really feel about KJ. My gut tells me KJ's a goner. Hope I'm wrong.

No excuses not to go out and fill a couple of needs in FA. Guess we will find out how Smith/Gaine really feel about KJ. My gut tells me KJ's a goner. Hope I'm wrong.

I am in agreement, I want him to stay even at a big price tag, but think he is gone for a good amount of money. Weak free agent CB class.

Thanks for the link! Exactly what I was looking for.

Sure.

I can find it, doesn't mean I know it (or really want to). I'll rely on you and Joel and Spotrac/OverTheCap for deciphering the fine print. :handshake:

But if you can work a way for us to keep KJ that'd make me happy.

Sure.

I can find it, doesn't mean I know it (or really want to). I'll rely on you and Joel and Spotrac/OverTheCap for deciphering the fine print. :handshake:

But if you can work a way for us to keep KJ that'd make me happy.

You are a machine!!!

That's not what I see on that website & the Texans have 60 players under contract, not 50.
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space and I think Jason has his numbers based on $140m.

Over the Cap only uses the upcoming Cap deadline parameters in calculating the cap. I believe the top 51 contracts is the current parameter. As players included in the Top 51 are released, the next highest player in added. This is why a player with $1M Cap hit might only free up $0.5M in Cap space because his replacement on the list includes the replacement's $0.5M.

It is something to consider if a player has dead money and his replacement player's value are weighed together in determining whether there is a net gain to Cap space verses the change in the quality of the player at his position.

Over the Cap only uses the upcoming Cap deadline parameters in calculating the cap. I believe the top 51 contracts is the current parameter. As players included in the Top 51 are released, the next highest player in added. This is why a player with $1M Cap hit might only free up $0.5M in Cap space because his replacement on the list includes the replacement's $0.5M.

It is something to consider if a player has dead money and his replacement player's value are weighed together in determining whether there is a net gain to Cap space verses the change in the quality of the player at his position.

At the moment, most everyone is just using all contracts. Some teams don't even have 51 players under contract yet for 2015. Everything will move over to the Top 51 function on March 10th when the new league year starts.

At the moment, most everyone is just using all contracts. Some teams don't even have 51 players under contract yet for 2015. Everything will move over to the Top 51 function on March 10th when the new league year starts.

I thought the current CAP included all Contracts for the 2014-2015 Season until the new league years begins. But I could be wrong. But the CAP numbers for 2015 only includes player under contract for the 2015 season. 2016 Cap only players under contract for 2016 and so on and so forth.

I thought the current CAP included all Contracts for the 2014-2015 Season until the new league years begins. But I could be wrong. But the CAP numbers for 2015 only includes player under contract for the 2015 season. 2016 Cap only players under contract for 2016 and so on and so forth.

I think we are saying the same thing, just saying it differently. If you go look at the daily NFLPA report, it is included all contracts & dead money, for 2015, right now....because the cap hasn't been set. Once it is set, their report will shift to the Top 51 model when the new league year starts.

I think we are saying the same thing, just saying it differently. If you go look at the daily NFLPA report, it is included all contracts & dead money, for 2015, right now....because the cap hasn't been set. Once it is set, their report will shift to the Top 51 model when the new league year starts.

I think you are right. We're on the same page. We just have to indicate which CAP number we're talking about.

I agree, not only the bonus for Watt that can be converted to open up more cap but contracts for new FAs can be scheduled for a reasonable 2015 and increase substantially 2016. For example, a lower or no bonus to be prorated but a higher guarantee for first two years. I have argued for two years that Texans were not in cap hell and in fact are managing very well. I think Watt's deal was a sign of how FA we want (ours or incoming) can be signed. It also is sweet to be out from under all the dead money.

If we can identify FAs that will substantially make us better, Texans can afford them. We could still be outbid, but can be in the hunt for anyone. We just can't get caught up in overbidding. :handshake:

WR AJohnson $16.0
LT D Brown 9.5
LG B Jones 1.0----S'ua Filo 1.0
C C Myers 8.0
RG Brooks 1.0
RT Newton FA
WR Hopkins 2.0----Martin (PR) .75
QB Fitzpatrick 4.0----Savage .6----Mallett FA---Keenum FA
FB Prosch .5
RB A. Foster 9.0----Blue .5
TE Graham 4.0---Griffin .6---Fiedorowicz .75

Defense and STs
LDE JJ Watt $22.0------Jamison FA
NT Luis Nix .7------R. Pickett FA-----Powe FA
RDE Crick .75----Pagan .5
LOLB Mercilus 2.5-----Ankrah .5---Clowney 5.0
LILB Tuggle .6-----Dent FA
RILB Cushing 8.0----Mohamed .7--Bullough .5
ROLB Simon .6
LCB Bouye .6-----Morris .6----Kareem Jackson FA
SS Swearinger 1.0
FS Ballentine .5----K Lewis FA
RCB Rolle .5----Hal .5
K Bullock .7----P Lechler 2.0 ----LS Weeks .8
Dead $ 600K Non injury Quessenberry $ .6

Total towards cap 46 players= $109 + $1.0(dead & Q)=$110m+ 7 draft +8PS

Draft: 1.15 WR Parker 2.47 S Prewitt 3.79 OT J.Fisher 4.111 ILB/OLB J. Ryan
5.143 OLB/DE/TE Lyndon Trail 6.175 OT/OG Jamil Douglas 7.207 DE/DT
Henry Anderson
Update:

$110 million (top 46)- $6 (Myers) - $9 (AJ) looking good at $95 m or $48 million under projected cap Still have to account for draft, PS, escalators, etc.

Also have changed my draft thoughts as Parker probably gone and exact placements now known:

1.16 WR Strong (40 time 4.45) 2.51 DT/NT Carl Davis 3.81 Slot/Returner Tre McBride (40 time 4.41) 4.113 CB/FS Eric Rowe (40 time 4.45) 5.144 ILB/OLB Jake Ryan

Not sold on a receiver in first round because few will get the game year one and they will end up thrust onto the field ill prepared . A DB. is a better pick or a big guy for up front .:snowday:

Not sold on a receiver in first round because few will get the game year one and they will end up thrust onto the field ill prepared . A DB. is a better pick or a big guy for up front .:snowday:

Aren't rookie DBs even LESS impactful than rookie WRs?

It depends. If you've got two decent starters.... Jjo & Bouye, Jjo & Morris, then that 1st round corner may make an impact as the third CB (whether in the slot or outside).

If your QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick, the third WR is about as useful as that white stuff on the top of chicke...

Typically they are and the gap is becoming more prominent with all the rule changes in the NFL. How many rookie WR's make an impact every year? Now how many rookie DB's do the same? It's much easier for WR's to transition into the NFL.

That's how I remember it. Yr one - BURNED
Yr two BURNED a little less.
Yr Three - How did that POC get good all of the sudden?

Yr Four - CONTRACT YEAR!

$102 roster and $41 cap with signing of Newton (estimating his 1st year)

A good estimate might be something similar to what Michael Oher's 4-year deal looked like. Just running some assumptions, a five-year $26.5M deal for Newton with a $6M signing bonus and $10M guaranteed would be something like this:

2015: $5.675M salary, $1.2M pro-rated (signing bonus)
2016: $5.675M salary, $1.2M pro-rated (signing bonus)
2017: $2M salary, $1.2M pro-rated (signing bonus)
2018: $3.5M salary, $1.2M pro-rated (signing bonus)
2019: $4M salary, $1.2M pro-rated (signing bonus)

The Texans would still have $22 million in cap space to sign other players in 2015, assuming they still release Andre Johnson as previously requested by 'Dre and his agent.

For a player who was once nicknamed "Hologram" for his inability to block in pass protection, Newton sure has developed quite well over the last couple of seasons. Congratulations to Derek Newton and the Texans!
http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/3/7/8167671/breaking-texans-sign-derek-newton-to-5-year-contract

Back