Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2015 Practice Squad

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
I thought I'd just make a thread about the anticipated PS moves to be made later today.

I'm expecting either a QB to be added to the PS from outside or an additional player who made the 53 to be cut to make room for a QB on the 53.

A name that came to mind for the former is the 4th NO QB who was just cut, Ryan Griffin. He has prototype size, but was stuck behind experienced QBs.

The latter has too many name QBs out there to mention, each with their own histories, strengths and weaknesses. But many were once high draft choices who simply didn't pan out for various reasons. While scoff worthy only a couple of days ago, Castle at near vet minimum would probably be the easiest to get up to speed and perform in a game should we have a season like the last two with QB injuries. He also has the experience to perform the scout role well.

I thought I'd just make a thread about the anticipated PS moves to be made later today.

I'm expecting either a QB to be added to the PS from outside or an additional player who made the 53 to be cut to make room for a QB on the 53.

A name that came to mind for the former is the 4th NO QB who was just cut, Ryan Griffin. He has prototype size, but was stuck behind experienced QBs.
Too risky. He attracts flying champagne bottles. Besides, he would be the most statuesque, with the weakest arm to make pinpoint passes of any of our QBs.

I like Logan Thomas. He hasn't done anything yet, but he's got great size, speed & a strong arm. I have no proof, but I had a gut feeling he was the second QB we were talking about when we took Savage. For a guy that'll most likely not get off the PS this year, he intrigues me.

How exactly will that work? Open market bidding like UDFAs?

Yes sir, you got it. Teams could always pay a PS player more than the minimum $6600 per week; just never include bonuses or guarantees. I doubt we will see much of this but will be interesting to see how it goes. I've seen teams pay PS players a lot of money just to keep them.

Yes sir, you got it. Teams could always pay a PS player more than the minimum $6600 per week; just never include bonuses or guarantees. I doubt we will see much of this but will be interesting to see how it goes. I've seen teams pay PS players a lot of money just to keep them.
Probably also worth a reminder that just like the PS salaries themselves, any PS bonuses paid become part of the team's salary cap figure.

I understand Chandler Worthy was signed to a 3 year deal. If he makes it back around and gets put on the PS, does that deal still apply?

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
WR Alan Bonner to #Texans practice squad

Alan Bonner
Corey Moore

Dan Pettinato
Max Bullough
Chandler Worthy
Kurtis Drummond
Corey Moore

Kenny Hilliard???

Very happy to see Bullough, Drummond, Hilliard, Bonner, and Worthy. The Bullough cut was the most difficult one for me to be on board with. So, I am glad to see he made it to the practice squad. Not only is he (at minimum) a serviceable ILB, but he is an excellent special teamer.

Drummand, & Hilliard I get. Bonner, & Worthy... I don't see them ever making it as WRs... seem like wastes of time to me. Bullough, I don't see the fire, energy, or intelligence he is supposed to bring. I don't think he's strong enough. Another waste of time.

I wonder if OB & the Texans feel as disappointed about CJ3 choosing Baltimore over Houston.

eric-tomlinson-nfl-preseason-indianapolis-colts-philadelphia-eagles.jpg

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline
Eric Tomlinson/TE signed to Houston Texans practice squad. One of the better blocking TE's in last April's draft.

Was with Eagles. Went to UTEP. Long hair, big beard.

6'5.5", 263 lbs.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.77
20 Yrd Dash: 2.82
10 Yrd Dash: 1.73
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.59

Last edited:
TE Eric Tomlinson
QB Zac Dysert
Alan Bonner
Kenny Hilliard (confirmed)

Dan Pettinato
Max Bullough
Chandler Worthy
Kurtis Drummond
Corey Moore

Last edited:
Corey is listed twice. Still room for one more.
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Guard Karim Barton to #Texans practice squad.​

Cup of coffee with Eagles, Browns.

2014 draft
Height: 6023
Weight: 313
40 Yrd Dash: 5.64
20 Yrd Dash: 3.26
10 Yrd Dash: 1.94
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 26
Broad Jump: 08'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.73
3-Cone Drill: 7.69​

The initial practice squad...

OG Karim Barton
TE Eric Tomlinson
QB Zac Dysert
Alan Bonner
Kenny Hilliard (confirmed)

Dan Pettinato
Max Bullough
Chandler Worthy
Kurtis Drummond
Corey Moore

Last edited:
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
The #Texans are planning to sign QB Zac Dysert to the practice squad, who was waived by Chicago. That'll be their 3rd QB for practice.

6'3, 230 lbs.

Interesting choice, but probably makes some sense when you look at his background.

Dysert had connections with the Bears having played for coach John Fox and offensive coordinator Adam Gase in Denver. And Fox and Gase (even McDaniels before that) has incorporated Belichick offense principals in the Denver offense.

Just before the last preseason game, the Bears claimed quarterback Zac Dysert off waivers after he had spent two years with the Denver Broncos......2013 on the regular roster and 2014 on their PS. What probably had something to do with O'brien picking him is that he has trained with Jeff Christensen, the Chicago area quarterbacks coach who has also trained Jimmy Garoppolo (Patriots), Drew Stanton (Cardinals), Kirk Cousins (Redskins), and Tom Savage (Texans).

Last edited:

The latter has too many name QBs out there to mention, each with their own histories, strengths and weaknesses. But many were once high draft choices who simply didn't pan out for various reasons. While scoff worthy only a couple of days ago, Castle at near vet minimum would probably be the easiest to get up to speed and perform in a game should we have a season like the last two with QB injuries. He also has the experience to perform the scout role well.
Didn't that Dallas QB who played against us get cut? I liked him for the team, not just the PS.

Practice squad players earn a minimum of $6,600 per week, which totals $112,200 for a 17-week stint. Note that there is no maximum practice squad salary. A team can pay a practice squad player however much they want to entice the player to stay on their practice squad. Practice squad salaries do count against a team's cap space, however.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
New Texans tight end Eric Tomlinson (Kleine HS) said he picked the Texans' practice squad situation over competing Ravens and Jets' offers

PDS @PatDStat
Zac Dysert mentioned having former college teammate Brandon Brooks here helps. They played together at Miami (OH). (trains with Tom Savage, too.)

Dysert also has former Broncos teammates here in Chris Clark and Rahim Moore. They have helped ease his transition to Houston. #Texans

Last edited:
Back