Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2012 Hurricane Season

Forgot what it was like to worry about hurricanes. My family moved from Houston in 1983 and we never lived in a hurricane zone after that.

Looks like this storm is heading right this way. :(

stock up on water, food and "stuff" now before the crowds hit.

And good luck. Hopefully it doesn't develop into much. I hate to see hurricanes happen to anyone.

at201209_5day.gif

They're predicting a more westerly course than I saw yesterday. Either way Florida will get some serious weather out of it.

Tropical Storm Isaac battering the Florida Keys, Gulf Coast landfall uncertain.... 65mph/995mb/wnw-18

Isaac's inner rain bands are landing on the Keys this afternoon, bringing heavy rain and winds upwards of 50mph to the islands. Conditions will remain poor throughout the day and overnight tonight.

Isaac is expected to gain hurricane strength over the warm Florida waters, then move into the Gulf. From here, the forecast models split into two distinctive paths.
The first (and original) takes Isaac north into the Florida panhandle, likely as a cat-1 or weak cat-2 hurricane. There is an eddy of cooler water off Florida's west coast, which would keep Isaac from intensifying too much.
The second option takes Isaac on a more northwesterly track, with landfall in Louisiana as a cat-2 (possibly cat-3) hurricane.

Isaac is a very large storm, with tropical-storm force winds extending 205 miles from the center. In comparison, Katrina's TS-force winds at landfall extended 235 miles, and Ike's 275 miles. Wind speed changes of 5-10 mph will be significant in forecasting storm surge totals. Even if Isaac makes landfall as a minimal hurricane, storm surges will be high because of the storm's size.

Man I know it's only a cat 1 but is sure seems to be taking a worst case path for the offshore workers. Right between Fourchon ( the biggest offshore boat hub in the gulf) and Venice / new orleans.

I feel so sorry for those living in New Orleans and the path of Isaak. Each hurricane has its own way of doing damage, and the way Isaak is moving so slow, I worry about horrendous flooding. That thing is just sitting on the area.

That said, I would like to on a mini rant about the press coverage. I was checking the local news stations, and each has multiple reporters in the LA covering the storm. I wonder how many reporters in total are there all trying to get the perfect shot. It is absolutely ridiculous. They are showing them driving around talking about how dangerous it is to be out and about. The thing that really bothers me is how much extra work it causes the local authorities, who have much better things to be doing. Why can't they pool coverage and only have a few people in total in the area?

Gah, I can't even express how disgusted I am with the way our tv news is handled.

In Metairie right now just outside New Orleans. I'm amazed I still have power. The wind here is insane. The rain is so-so. A lot of the parishes about 45 miles to the southwest of the city are taking the full force. The storm is indeed moving insanely slow and has already stalled twice while still maintaining hurricane status. When it made landful, we had reported winds of 100 and the pressure was 968 which is category 2 by the books. I'll be shocked of the National Hurricane Center does not reclassify this as a category 2 storm, because it sure doesn't feel like a cat 1.

So far, doing well over here. I'm one of the very few lucky people in the New Orleans metro area to still have power. The storm has stalled for a third time in the last 24 hours now near Baton Rouge. Nearly all of Plaquemines Parish is under 6 feet of water, some parts of Plaq are under 12 feet. Plaq Parish president Billy Nungesser and Grand Isle Mayor David Camardelle are saying this wasn't a category 1 storm, and I certainly believe them. Grand Isle is reportedly under 5 feet of water right now.

Make note that these flooded areas are outside of the new levee system. The city itself fared well with the water; however, we did not admittedly get the full amount of rain that these other parishes are dealing with and the pumps here had reportedly stalled for a few hours during the previous night and had to be operated manually. That is extremely concerning because had this been a category 3 storm, those same workers on the pumps would've been evacuated from their stations and dare I say we would've had quite a bit flooding within the city.

Goes to show that mother nature can still take back what she wants when she wants.

So far, doing well over here. I'm one of the very few lucky people in the New Orleans metro area to still have power. The storm has stalled for a third time in the last 24 hours now near Baton Rouge. Nearly all of Plaquemines Parish is under 6 feet of water, some parts of Plaq are under 12 feet. Plaq Parish president Billy Nungesser and Grand Isle Mayor David Camardelle are saying this wasn't a category 1 storm, and I certainly believe them.

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Houston had a tropical storm, Allison, that turned into a major flood mess. Damn thing actually turned around and came back to Houston. The storm categories are purely a measure of wind speed, they don't in any way account for amount of rainfall, which can be the most damaging part of the storm. It is unfortunate, and a better rating system needs to be considered. I think lots of people said, "it is just a cat 1, we have lived thru worse.", not knowing the amount of water that was going to fall outta the sky. Houston definitely learned the lesson the hard way with Allison.

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Houston had a tropical storm, Allison, that turned into a major flood mess. Damn thing actually turned around and came back to Houston. The storm categories are purely a measure of wind speed, they don't in any way account for amount of rainfall, which can be the most damaging part of the storm. It is unfortunate, and a better rating system needs to be considered. I think lots of people said, "it is just a cat 1, we have lived thru worse.", not knowing the amount of water that was going to fall outta the sky. Houston definitely learned the lesson the hard way with Allison.

Pretty much that's why people stayed. As you mentioned, wind speed is used as the primary measuring stick for hurricane strength, followed by pressure, and we had some buoys off the coast getting windspeeds of 95+ MPH while all the meteorologists here were saying that based on pressure at landfall (968), this storm should've been a very strong category 2 storm. Seems like an easy classification to me. I think if they would've called it a category 2, more people would've obviously left. But down here we get close to tropical storm conditions on rainy days throughout most of the summer anyways, so a category 1 storm in most people's minds isn't much. Heck, I stayed.

What's tricky is that Plaq did NOT flood anywhere near this bad for Katrina, which was a much more powerful storm. People knew Isaac would being more rain there since the track had them on the bad side of the storm while Katrina had most of Plaq on the good side, but you cannot predict something like a storm stalling twice for hours over one area.

I'm not real sure but I think they take an average reading of wind speed throughout the eyewall to come up with it's posted wind speed. For example, in the stronger side of the storm, say the northeast quadrant, the winds might be at 100 mph, easily cat. 2 strength, but in the weaker part of the strom, like the southwest quadrant, winds are only 70 mph. They then post it as an 85 mph cat. 1 storm. Rough example, but it works something like that because the winds are not the same throughout the eyewall.

That also doesn't take into account wind gusts. You can have a 90 mph sustained wind (cat.1), and have wind gusts up to 110 mph (cat.2) and it will still be a cat. 1 blow.

Yeah, a better rating system would be helpful, but you still need to know that hurricanes are dangerous no matter the classification. Slow moving hurricanes especially. As mentioned, Houston was devastated by a Tropical Storm about a decade ago that just sat on top of us for a couple of days.

Glad to hear you're safe, Beta!!!

I thought this was pretty amazing....

Astronomy Pic Of The Day (9/4)

paths.jpg

Explanation: Should you be worried about hurricanes? To find out, it is useful to know where hurricanes have gone in the past. The above Earth map shows the path of every hurricane reported since 1851, Although striking, a growing incompleteness exists in the data the further one looks back in time. The above map graphically indicates that hurricanes -- sometimes called cyclones or typhoons depending on where they form -- usually occur over water, which makes sense since evaporating warm water gives them energy. The map also shows that hurricanes never cross -- or even occur very near -- the Earth's equator, since the Coriolis effect goes to zero there, and hurricanes need the Coriolis force to circulate. The Coriolis force also causes hurricane paths to arc away from the equator. Although incompleteness fogs long term trends and the prevalence of hurricanes remains a topic of research, evidence is accumulating that hurricanes are, on the average, more common and more powerful in the North Atlantic Ocean over the past 20 years.

Go to the site and click the pic for further analysis. :)

saw this and thought it was funny, though the storm is no laughing matter.

426279_10151280084420791_389340588_n.jpg

we've had rain for the past two days straight in pittsburgh and the winds have picked up drastically over the past couple of hours from ~20mph to gusts up to around ~40mph. i'm most worried about the possibility of snow/icing conditions, will make the drive to and from work even worse than it was today.

I have a lot of friends from Delaware up to New York since I used to live up there. Seeing some crazy stuff on Facebook. This one takes the cake ...

65305_10151486495823242_1181267384_n.jpg

[imgwidthsize=600]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/78327_3813313896610_731559716_o.jpg[/IMG]
Please be real

Papa L checking in from DC. High winds, lots of rain, some flooding. Our spirits are high and my son and I are safe. Can't really complain.

Big shout out to my brother from another mother Brakos82 for checking in on us. Much obliged sir.

This storm certainly has not been something to laugh about, but, I have to admit I've gotten a lot of teasing about my "namesake!" My grandson told me to "lighten up" cause I was being to "mean!" I told him not to mess with SANDY'S, esp when one of them was his MawMaw!

I have many friends that have been touched by this storm, and thankfully, ALL of them are safe and sound, as of now. We've had some fun gabbing about the name and such, but, they all know I've been concerned, and they have all been in my thoughts and prayers.

I have a feeling SANDY will never be a named storm again.

Back