Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1st Round Pick

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Is that true? Gibbs had 6th round Chris Myers in the probowl. Houck made undrafted Mark Tuinei a prowbowler and ring holder much less stupidly undersized Mark Stepnoski and 3rd round Erik Flowers. Good coaching goes a long way.

Houck's OL gave up less than 200 sacks in a decade while having a leading RB and they didn't spend 5 1st & 2nd round picks.
Very impressive.

However, I don't think most here are expecting that kind of result from the collection of talent we have here.

But it should be obvious the result of the 2018 season point to both poor talent & poor coaching.

We can't even run a screen. A draw. & I bet BO'b would have been run out of town if he'd have tried a flea flicker.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Very impressive.

However, I don't think most here are expecting that kind of result from the collection of talent we have here.

But it should be obvious the result of the 2018 season point to both poor talent & poor coaching.

We can't even run a screen. A draw. & I bet BO'b would have been run out of town if he'd have tried a flea flicker.
Poor talent yes and ultimately poor coaching, yes.

Devlin can't recognize talent if Davenport is any indication and yet he's at the Senior Bowl scouting talent. #unnsettling

As far as the rest of the post, how many times have you posted this?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Unsure who would be at #23 another team would trade up for but if we could trade down get Cajusty plus another day two selection--sweet. 5 picks in 96 would be awesome. Don't see Trent Brown seeing free agency or any other LT advantageous to Houston. Focus on Davenport should be on his last half of season not his first. Plus this was basically his rookie year and I think most LTs if not most other positions improve greatly in second season. Same should be true of Rankin at guard and the two together for 16 should also be a great improvement. Watson can also fit this scenario going into second full season. If OBrien sees it this way, could he wait on drafting a LT to back up D/Rankin? Cajusty or Scharping at 3.87 would allow three players perhaps four with a trade down from #23. I am going to dream about that scenario. That doesn't even include FA at corner and RT. I'm still into Bell which would eliminating that spot in draft.

Reactions: Max

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
O'Brian has to held accountable @ some point. Just checking, but would you be happy if Texans selected Oklahoma OT/OG Cody Ford with the 23rd overall pick in 2019 draft or trade back a few picks and risk losing shot at him ala Duane Brown move, and still getting him end of first or early 2nd? Think he is the most ready to start and contribute offensive lineman in area Texans are slotted.
Anybody listed as OT/OG in college would lack the agility to play tackle in the NFL.

Max

Veteran
Unsure who would be at #23 another team would trade up for but if we could trade down get Cajusty plus another day two selection--sweet. 5 picks in 96 would be awesome. Don't see Trent Brown seeing free agency or any other LT advantageous to Houston. Focus on Davenport should be on his last half of season not his first. Plus this was basically his rookie year and I think most LTs if not most other positions improve greatly in second season. Same should be true of Rankin at guard and the two together for 16 should also be a great improvement. Watson can also fit this scenario going into second full season. If OBrien sees it this way, could he wait on drafting a LT to back up D/Rankin? Cajusty or Scharping at 3.87 would allow three players perhaps four with a trade down from #23. I am going to dream about that scenario. That doesn't even include FA at corner and RT. I'm still into Bell which would eliminating that spot in draft.
Just looked at Cajuste and I'm intrigued. He looks like he weighs 290 or less -- almost a DE build. I was surprised to learn that he's 320+. He looks much quicker to me than Davenport and just a better athlete. Nothing really stood out as a negative in pass pro from what I saw -- I kept expecting him to get run over by the bull rush because of how skinny I thought he was but he held his ground pretty well. Not sure how he'll do w/ bigger bodies in the NFL. I'm wondering if teams will hold off because of being a little thin in the legs. I could see your scenario of backing up Davenport for a time but it seems like his ceiling is much higher than D's. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone well before 3.87 though.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just looked at Cajuste and I'm intrigued. He looks like he weighs 290 or less -- almost a DE build. I was surprised to learn that he's 320+. He looks much quicker to me than Davenport and just a better athlete. Nothing really stood out as a negative in pass pro from what I saw -- I kept expecting him to get run over by the bull rush because of how skinny I thought he was but he held his ground pretty well. Not sure how he'll do w/ bigger bodies in the NFL. I'm wondering if teams will hold off because of being a little thin in the legs. I could see your scenario of backing up Davenport for a time but it seems like his ceiling is much higher than D's. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone well before 3.87 though.
Agree. Want to say SteelbTexan identified how good he was before I focused on him. Here is my thinking, can Scharping who is very good although not as athletic as Cajusty at a later round be just as good by 2020? I've been laughed at before by saying Davenport could hold off challenge at least for one more season if he progresses as I think. Critics focus on his pressures when many were in first half when line was in total turmoil. He was out one game and at RT one game, LG was musical chair with no vet to help him until second half & IIRC Kelemete (and RG Fuller) went out same game. I'm not singing his praises but judge fairly.

Max

Veteran
Agree. Want to say SteelbTexan identified how good he was before I focused on him. Here is my thinking, can Scharping who is very good although not as athletic as Cajusty at a later round be just as good by 2020? I've been laughed at before by saying Davenport could hold off challenge at least for one more season if he progresses as I think. Critics focus on his pressures when many were in first half when line was in total turmoil. He was out one game and at RT one game, LG was musical chair with no vet to help him until second half & IIRC Kelemete (and RG Fuller) went out same game. I'm not singing his praises but judge fairly.
I've seen Little as the top OT on several sites so I started by looking at him. I wasn't impressed at all. I'll get to the others when I get a chance (looked at Little, Ford and Cajuste so far). So far, I could see Cajuste competing w/ D or taking his place if he goes down w/ injury and not giving up the spot, but I'm starting to think that there's no clear cut improvement over Davenport on day 1 if we aren't able to pull something off in FA. I'm not as optimistic about Davenport as you though. I'd move Rankin to LT in camp and let him get comfortable w/ his blocking assignments before I'd give D another season and find a RT in the draft if we can't address LT. Now we can both get laughed at for different reasons.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I've seen Little as the top OT on several sites so I started by looking at him. I wasn't impressed at all. I'll get to the others when I get a chance (looked at Little, Ford and Cajuste so far). So far, I could see Cajuste competing w/ D or taking his place if he goes down w/ injury and not giving up the spot, but I'm starting to think that there's no clear cut improvement over Davenport on day 1 if we aren't able to pull something off in FA. I'm not as optimistic about Davenport as you though. I'd move Rankin to LT in camp and let him get comfortable w/ his blocking assignments before I'd give D another season and find a RT in the draft if we can't address LT. Now we can both get laughed at for different reasons.
IMO LTs for Houston Jonah Williams (love him despite some saying must be OG) gone long before and we cannot trade up with our needs, Cajusty and the Scharping--that's it. Rankin might eventually become a LT but why if not 2019? He should start at LG over Kelemete who I want gone. I want his $2.5 m savings. Scharping or Cajust could push if not beat Rankin out during 2019. The sneaky choice as few are talking about him is Jawaan Taylor FLorida who I'm beginning consider as few are talking about him though some are ranking and mocking him first round. The junior started 12 at RT in 2016 as a freshman then 2017 9 at RT before moving to LT for last two then all at LT 2018. I get more flash on Martez Ivey than Taylor.

Max

Veteran
IMO LTs for Houston Jonah Williams (love him despite some saying must be OG) gone long before and we cannot trade up with our needs, Cajusty and the Scharping--that's it. Rankin might eventually become a LT but why if not 2019? He should start at LG over Kelemete who I want gone. I want his $2.5 m savings. Scharping or Cajust could push if not beat Rankin out during 2019. The sneaky choice as few are talking about him is Jawaan Taylor FLorida who I'm beginning consider as few are talking about him though some are ranking and mocking him first round. The junior started 12 at RT in 2016 as a freshman then 2017 9 at RT before moving to LT for last two then all at LT 2018. I get more flash on Martez Ivey than Taylor.
I'll look at these guys next. Thanks buddy.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Decisions, decisions.
Bpa on Oline or Corners.
I know we must attend to that secondary, but we simply must protect Watson at all costs.
Having a decent D didn't stop the Colts from mauling us in the first quarter of that wildcard game.
If you cannot go toe to toe with your opponent, there's a likely beating gonna happen.
7 points was simply not enough in that game and to build a good offense you must start in the trenches.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
It's going to come down to who's available and what happens in FA
They will pay dearly for either an olineman or CB thats any decent.
I reckon they take one or the other from FA and then fill the obvious need left from the draft.
They are in a quandry as they won't want to tip their hand early in regards to the draft but then they may be forced to take whats left.
A trade could be on the cards in the draft and or in FA.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
They will pay dearly for either an olineman or CB thats any decent.
I reckon they take one or the other from FA and then fill the obvious need left from the draft.
With $67 million in cap space, why not both? I realize that Clowney's franchise tag will take some. But there should be no restrictions on getting help at both LT and CB in free agency.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
With $67 million in cap space, why not both? I realize that Clowney's franchise tag will take some. But there should be no restrictions on getting help at both LT and CB in free agency.
I like the idea of utilizing some cap space for a LT and CB in FA but I also like the idea of tagging and be open to marketing Clowney in a trade. There is no harm no foul in checking the market to determine what his trade could be. The way I see it, if the Texans don't give him a new contract and tag him for two seasons, he'll never look back as he leaves town nor will the Texans receive anything in return. Tough call but business is business.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I like the idea of utilizing some cap space for a LT and CB in FA but I also like the idea of tagging and be open to marketing Clowney in a trade. There is no harm no foul in checking the market to determine what his trade could be. The way I see it, if the Texans don't give him a new contract and tag him for two seasons, he'll never look back as he leaves town nor will the Texans receive anything in return. Tough call but business is business.
Makes this draft very interesting for Texans and their fans as it is deep with quality DL this go round.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It depends on whether the Texans put the exclusive or non-exclusive tag on Clowney. If they go non-exclusive, that would indicate they're considering a trade. But let's remember that it would take less 2019 cap space to just re-sign Clowney. If it's about winning now, with Watt and Hopkins still at an All Pro level, and Watson still on a rookie deal, it would be best to retain Clowney and hit the FA and trade market as hard as possible. If the business is based on winning.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Curious what you guys see in Ford that you don't see in Rankin? They look very similar to me - big, powerful, but questionable quickness for tackle making G their more natural fit. If this is the best prospect, I'd prefer to give Rankin a full training camp at RT, find our LT in FA, and use our 1st pick on other needs while getting OL that aren't going to be an upgrade later in the draft.
Ford has more mobility than Rankin. If Ford is what I think he is , a Conklin type RT the run game would be much better, especially if Rankin improves at LG.

I still want one of Little,Dillard or Cajuste over Ford. Good news is with Cajuste missing the Sr Bowl there is a good chance that he's there at 23.

But I could live with a OL of

D.Smith/Rankin/Martin/Fulton/Ford

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I started off high on him and ended the season with a giant question mark. I still think the talent is there if they can get it out of him.
I have hope because he has the talent to be a very good LG. He got behind because of surgery and missing TC. He never really caught up. But there is a nastiness to his game.

Of course with Devlin he will probably never reach his potential.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Ford has more mobility than Rankin. If Ford is what I think he is , a Conklin type RT the run game would be much better, especially if Rankin improves at LG.

I still want one of Little,Dillard or Cajuste over Ford. Good news is with Cajuste missing the Sr Bowl there is a good chance that he's there at 23.

I was already a fan of Washington St. OT Andre Dillard coming into the week, placing him in the first round of my initial mock draft. So far I’ve only grown fonder of the athletic left tackle prospect. And his performance is all the more impressive when you factor in the high-caliber of pass rushers he’s facing on the South squad, including Montez Sweat of Mississippi St., Oshane Ximines of Old Dominion and Jaylon Ferguson of Louisiana Tech.

Dillard looks every bit the part with a prototypical 6-4 7/8 inch, 310 pound frame and 34 inch long arms. Having played in Mike Leach’s pass happy attack in college there’s little doubt about Dillard’s ability to protect the edge. The question mark is run blocking, but Dillard has clearly made strides in terms of his hand use and technique.

Dillard isn’t always mentioned in conversations about the top blockers in this class, but he is arguably battling Ole Miss OT Greg Little to be the first left tackle prospect off the board. Remember, Jonah Williams of Alabama, Jawaan Taylor of Florida and Cody Ford of Oklahoma all profile as either guards or right tackles. Don’t be surprised if Dillard winds up coming off the board earlier than most expect, perhaps in the Top 15-20 overall.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/2019/2019-senior-bowl-south-practice-report-1-22-19/
Speaking of Dillard, here's a very favorable report on his first day of practice in Mobile.
And he was impressive in yesterdays workout telecasted on the NFLNet in the one-on-ones as were a couple of other OT prospects I wan't too familar with: Tyrus Howard of Alabama State & Dennis Daily of South Carolina.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was already a fan of Washington St. OT Andre Dillard coming into the week, placing him in the first round of my initial mock draft. So far I’ve only grown fonder of the athletic left tackle prospect. And his performance is all the more impressive when you factor in the high-caliber of pass rushers he’s facing on the South squad, including Montez Sweat of Mississippi St., Oshane Ximines of Old Dominion and Jaylon Ferguson of Louisiana Tech.

Dillard looks every bit the part with a prototypical 6-4 7/8 inch, 310 pound frame and 34 inch long arms. Having played in Mike Leach’s pass happy attack in college there’s little doubt about Dillard’s ability to protect the edge. The question mark is run blocking, but Dillard has clearly made strides in terms of his hand use and technique.

Dillard isn’t always mentioned in conversations about the top blockers in this class, but he is arguably battling Ole Miss OT Greg Little to be the first left tackle prospect off the board. Remember, Jonah Williams of Alabama, Jawaan Taylor of Florida and Cody Ford of Oklahoma all profile as either guards or right tackles. Don’t be surprised if Dillard winds up coming off the board earlier than most expect, perhaps in the Top 15-20 overall.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/2019/2019-senior-bowl-south-practice-report-1-22-19/
Speaking of Dillard, here's a very favorable report on his first day of practice in Mobile.
And he was impressive in yesterdays workout telecasted on the NFLNet in the one-on-ones as were a couple of other OT prospects I wan't too familar with: Tyrus Howard of Alabama State & Dennis Daily of South Carolina.
I'm glad you got a chance to check out Dillard. HesH going to be a starting LT for a long time in the NFL. He will get better in Run blocking after working with an NFL S&C coach.

Dailey and Howard probably can play LT in the NFL but are really more RT's. Look at how Dillard moves compared to Dailey/Howard.

Shishkabob

All Pro

Unfortunately for us as long as Dillard tests well, I think he goes top 15 easily

Max

Veteran

Maybe I need to watch more of Ford because I didn't see that. I don't know anything about Donovan Smith. Instantly fixes the left side or how good is he? Any other UFA's you think we could pursue?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
That's what happens when ownership accepts mediocrity and has a difficult time making tough decisions. The NFL Draft has been our Super Bowl for 16 seasons.

Gonna be 80 this year. My window to see our team in the big game is closing.

At that time though I most likely won't shive a git.

Steelb can take heart in the fact that if possible I will come back to haunt R Smith. :)

:coffee:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Steelb can take heart in the fact that if possible I will come back to haunt R Smith. :)

Happy that you got to see the Astros win a World Series. Hang in there and maybe the stars will align for the Texans....this years schedule might say otherwise but a great draft in 2019 and 2020 not to mention a potentially favorable schedule in 2020.....it could be the year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe I need to watch more of Ford because I didn't see that. I don't know anything about Donovan Smith. Instantly fixes the left side or how good is he? Any other UFA's you think we could pursue?
Smith is an avg LT.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Thx, LOL

Hang in there a couple of years. With Watson getting more experience and a couple of great offseasons by Gaine good times are ahead.

Shishkabob

All Pro
well if you like to take stock in what radio hosts say, LZ said this morning with certainty that the Texans would pursue patriots LT Trent Brown. Idk how he can say it with certainty since the Texans can't speak on that matter since Brown is not a FA yet, I think he is assuming since the Texans made a push for Solder last year..... Brown is from Bastrop though so maybe he will be more likely to want to come here than Solder was

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
well if you like to take stock in what radio hosts say, LZ said this morning with certainty that the Texans would pursue patriots LT Trent Brown. Idk how he can say it with certainty since the Texans can't speak on that matter since Brown is not a FA yet, I think he is assuming since the Texans made a push for Solder last year..... Brown is from Bastrop though so maybe he will be more likely to want to come here than Solder was
He knows some folks in the organization?

Max

Veteran
As Tony Beets from my favorite show Gold Rush would say, 'Make it happening'.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
'It has to be' is a a death sentence for an nfl draft philosophy.

And that's exactly why I'm not locked onto a specific position …. if a significantly higher rated player at another spot is available , you have to take that guy or move back and get value rather than just reaching for need.

I do want to see them come away with a CB and OT in the first three picks …. but wouldn't be upset if one of them wasn't filled until day 3 if a superior prospect fell.

As for which I value more , believe it or not probably the Corner …. this defense couldn't stop anyone the last few weeks of the season , that with such a strong front 7 that generated plenty of heat on opposing QB's while the OL wasn't as terrible at the end of the year as it was in the beginning , it was terrible but not as terrible.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
And that's exactly why I'm not locked onto a specific position …. if a significantly higher rated player at another spot is available , you have to take that guy or move back and get value rather than just reaching for need.

I do want to see them come away with a CB and OT in the first three picks …. but wouldn't be upset if one of them wasn't filled until day 3 if a superior prospect fell.

As for which I value more , believe it or not probably the Corner …. this defense couldn't stop anyone the last few weeks of the season , that with such a strong front 7 that generated plenty of heat on opposing QB's while the OL wasn't as terrible at the end of the year as it was in the beginning , it was terrible but not as terrible.
It's all about value

Max

Veteran

Agree with everything you said except for maybe the front 7 pressure. Our secondary could also benefit from more qb pressure and DL shouldn't be off the table for the first pick. I'm fine with CB first pick also - just saying I think they can expand their board beyond CB and OL if the right person drops.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All positions should be on the table when it comes to the first pick. I mean if Oliver or a player Of that caliber falls to them rhth should run the pick to the podium and thank their lucky stars.

If the talent level is close to the same then I would definitely pick an OT so that I wouldn't hopefully have to see Davenport play again and protect Watson. Because if Watson isn't protected it doesn't matter how many CB"s you draft.