Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1st Round Pick

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who would you trade up for in this draft? I just haven't seen anyone that I've watched yet that would really warrant a move up.
Little

Depending on how the draft falls Dillard or Cajuste. But I wouldn't trade up far for those guys.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's cool.

I like Little, but not so much more so than Cajuste as a LT or Risner as a RT to wanna part with assets to go get him.
I like Cajuste as much as Little, but wouldn't trade up more than 2/3 spots for him due to his injury history.

Dillard/Risner are safe picks who will be good pro's. Little/Cajuste have higher upsides but carry more risk.

markn

All Pro
Little

Depending on how the draft falls Dillard or Cajuste. But I wouldn't trade up far for those guys.
I like Little. How far up would you be prepared to move to nab him. He's got a very varied projection based on mocks and big boards I've seen. Many have him around 15, interestingly WalterFootball has him going to us at 23.

To jump to 15, for example (300ish points) would require our 2nd rounder. That seems too much.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I like Cajuste as much as Little, but wouldn't trade up more than 2/3 spots for him due to his injury history.

Dillard/Risner are safe picks who will be good pro's. Little/Cajuste have higher upsides but carry more risk.
Dillard looks like more of a project to me than anyone we've mentioned so far. I fear he's much closer to a Rankins situation than he is a soon to be starter.

Always good talking draft with you though dude.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like Little. How far up would you be prepared to move to nab him. He's got a very varied projection based on mocks and big boards I've seen. Many have him around 15, interestingly WalterFootball has him going to us at 23.

To jump to 15, for example (300ish points) would require our 2nd rounder. That seems too much.
I like Little enough to move up to 15. Not really any further. If there's only one of Dillard/Cajuste on the board say at 17 or 18 and Little is already gone I'm definitely trading up.

markn

All Pro
I like Little enough to move up to 15. Not really any further. If there's only one of Dillard/Cajuste on the board say at 17 or 18 and Little is already gone I'm definitely trading up.
I wouldn't make that trade to 15. I'd sit tight and go BPA. I think you could fire both 2nd round bullets at OL and get a better chance at upgrading the line than a 1 and 2 for Little. And hopefully you get a quality starter at another position of need at 1.23

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't make that trade to 15. I'd sit tight and go BPA. I think you could fire both 2nd round bullets at OL and get a better chance at upgrading the line than a 1 and 2 for Little. And hopefully you get a quality starter at another position of need at 1.23
I have a higher opinion of Little than most around here do.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He gets bull-rushed and driven back into the pocket a fair bit. Sounds like a great fit :-)

I'd be happy if he fell to us at 23, I'd take him there even if a strong CB or RB was available.
Read your first sentence then you say if he falls to #23 you'd take him over a strong CB or RB? That makes no sense to me. I don't want a project or a LT that gets bulled back into the pocket. That is usually much shorter path to QB than an opponent coming around end of line.

markn

All Pro
Read your first sentence then you say if he falls to #23 you'd take him over a strong CB or RB? That makes no sense to me. I don't want a project or a LT that gets bulled back into the pocket. That is usually much shorter path to QB than an opponent coming around end of line.
There's a smiley on the end, and I'm paraphrasing what I read in a single scouting report.

He's one of the top tackles and could just about realistically fall to us. I think drafting OT in round 1 is quite risky given the different schemes run in college and pros. That said, we clearly need to upgrade the OL, and if there's a number of strong selections available at 23, I'm going to lean towards the OT unless the difference is night and day.

I've already said multiple times that I'm going BPA in rnd 1, but if it's close and our favored OT is there, then yep, I'll let that slide that a bit.

Not trading up to e.g. 15 for him under any circusmstances.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
We need to take the highest graded OL or CB. In other words, the second highest grade CB is better than the 4th highest grade OL. Although I would like to see us draft 2 OL's and at least 1 CB in the first 4 rounds. I would also like to see us take a RB in the mid rounds.

badboy

Hall of Fame
There's a smiley on the end, and I'm paraphrasing what I read in a single scouting report.

He's one of the top tackles and could just about realistically fall to us. I think drafting OT in round 1 is quite risky given the different schemes run in college and pros. That said, we clearly need to upgrade the OL, and if there's a number of strong selections available at 23, I'm going to lean towards the OT unless the difference is night and day.

I've already said multiple times that I'm going BPA in rnd 1, but if it's close and our favored OT is there, then yep, I'll let that slide that a bit.

With all the emojis here I thought you were just using weird punctuation lol. I agree on OT in first, at least today I am as no assurance Cajusty falls to us later and IMO, only Scharping a possibility to push Davenport or play OG. So I go with Yodny #23 to get him then use the draft corner depth to strengthen roster day two. My thinking on latter is Trayvon Mullen, Love, Michael Jackson or Alabama's Saivon Smith will be there round two. Do we grab two there or a depth guy later to learn under Joseph in his final season? We can use the second two and our three for other spots like RB and maybe WR?

badboy

Hall of Fame
We need to take the highest graded OL or CB. In other words, the second highest grade CB is better than the 4th highest grade OL. Although I would like to see us draft 2 OL's and at least 1 CB in the first 4 rounds. I would also like to see us take a RB in the mid rounds.
The issue for me at 23 is LT Cajusty is not as good an OT as Murphy, Love, Jackson or Mullen or maybe even Saivion Smith are at corner. Having said that he is best LT available that spot and at least two to maybe four of the corners should be available at our seconds. Here is a scenario where I take the lesser of two dire need positions first as I can fill the second dire need fairly safely next round as odds are Cajusty gone by #54.

markn

All Pro
With all the emojis here I thought you were just using weird punctuation lol. I agree on OT in first, at least today I am as no assurance Cajusty falls to us later and IMO, only Scharping a possibility to push Davenport or play OG. So I go with Yodny #23 to get him then use the draft corner depth to strengthen roster day two. My thinking on latter is Trayvon Mullen, Love, Michael Jackson or Alabama's Saivon Smith will be there round two. Do we grab two there or a depth guy later to learn under Joseph in his final season? We can use the second two and our three for other spots like RB and maybe WR?
How about going after Ja'Wuan James in FA and then using the draft to focus on CB, RB, WR as well as picking up other OLine depth

badboy

Hall of Fame
How about going after Ja'Wuan James in FA and then using the draft to focus on CB, RB, WR as well as picking up other OLine depth
yeah as I've mentioned James is a priority for me but we still need either LT or LG starter or very strong backup to push either or both those spots. IMO, Scharping later does that but I don't think OBrien would agree and surely not others here. I have also suggested three corners first three selections with Cajusty if he falls to 3.87 or more likely Scharping.

honored82

Waterboy
Out of the 5 position on the OL, which one was the worst ? who gave most of the 62 sacks ? if anyone has stats.

we should replace that worst position with a Premier 1st round pick and we would have drastically improved our line.

gwallaia

Staff member
Should the Texans consider a full back at some point? I asked this in another thread but this is probably a better place for it. Will O"Brein change his offense to include a fullback?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Why are you against trading up using your 2nd to move up and get the highest ceiling LT in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The 4th best OL is on par with 2nd best CB in this draft. IMHO.

Williams/Baker/Murphy CB's

Williams/Little/Dillard/Cajuste OT's

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I agree with this philosophy starting in 2020.

Gaine has to find the best LT possible in this draft to protect Watson, even if that means trading up.
Problem with trading up or letting draft fall to Texans is even if they draft BPA if that BPA gets hurt your falling back to reserve depth. Texans have also failed to resign early picks to their 2nd contract because focus is on resigning those expensive 1st rounders. Double whammy. Focus needs to be on 2nd and 3rd rounders who can become starters and extend thus building a true, sustainable core. That’s why I would take all offers to trade down every draft unless it’s an absolute slam dunk @ position of need. Texans just can’t afford to trade up and give away anymore picks. Too many holes and needs to fill.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Problem with trading up or letting draft fall to Texans is even if they draft BPA if that BPA gets hurt your falling back to reserve depth. Texans have also failed to resign early picks to their 2nd contract because focus is on resigning those expensive 1st rounders. Double whammy. Focus needs to be on 2nd and 3rd rounders who can become starters and extend thus building a true, sustainable core. That’s why I would take all offers to trade down every draft unless it’s an absolute slam dunk @ position of need. Texans just can’t afford to trade up and give away anymore picks. Too many holes and needs to fill.
Like I said before I would normally agree with you.

But desperate times call for desperate measures. IMHO

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Oline unless there is terrible remaining talent there at those positions.

If not Oline, then I'd look for a good secondary player.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Like I said before I would normally agree with you.

But desperate times call for desperate measures. IMHO
Faster we get to the bottom faster we can climb to the top. Roster needs a massive infusion of young talent everywhere (except QB) more 2nds and 3rds that have historically failed this franchise, could stock the cupboards if Gaine is all that. O'Brian be gone two years tops, and next coach inherits a team full of talent, including a promising capable OL to go along with franchise QB (assuming Watson survives which I believe he will).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Faster we get to the bottom faster we can climb to the top. Roster needs a massive infusion of young talent everywhere (except QB) more 2nds and 3rds that have historically failed this franchise, could stock the cupboards if Gaine is all that. O'Brian be gone two years tops, and next coach inherits a team full of talent, including a promising capable OL to go along with franchise QB (assuming Watson survives which I believe he will).
So this goes back to wanting BOB gone?

I'm thinking along the line of doing everything possible to keep Watson healthy, whether BOB is here or not.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
IMHO, regardless of which position the Texans draft in the first 2 rounds....I still expect to see them sign a FA LT (Smith or James) and a FA CB. These guys would be here to solely bridge the development of the new rookies....unless the rookies just wow the team.

I don't see a major difference between what are considered the top LT and maybe as deep as the 10th LT since I would expect any of them to get a half to a full season of time behind a veteran. If your goal is to really protect Watson, I wouldn't want a college rookie holding the job unless he firmly beats the veterans in camp. If he did, that would be a nice surprise.....if he didn't, that's more along the line of what I would've expected.

CB could be a lot different since I see a very deep draft with plenty of athletes who could possibly contribute right away b/c of the pass happy ways of college football. Just need to make sure that the guy isn't apprehensive about lowering his shoulder pads to bring down RB's. I got two guys I really like and both could be there for the taking.....Trayvon Mullen (6-2 @ 190 lbs) Clemson and Isaiah Johnson (6-2 @ 195 lbs) Houston. Both of these guys possess, ability to cover and don't mind the hitting part of the job.

With that, I would make Risner or Mullen my first pick or better yet, trade down if both look like they'll remain on the board at the new position.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
IMHO, regardless of which position the Texans draft in the first 2 rounds....I still expect to see them sign a FA LT (Smith or James) and a FA CB. These guys would be here to solely bridge the development of the new rookies....unless the rookies just wow the team.

I don't see a major difference between what are considered the top LT and maybe as deep as the 10th LT since I would expect any of them to get a half to a full season of time behind a veteran. If your goal is to really protect Watson, I wouldn't want a college rookie holding the job unless he firmly beats the veterans in camp. If he did, that would be a nice surprise.....if he didn't, that's more along the line of what I would've expected.

CB could be a lot different since I see a very deep draft with plenty of athletes who could possibly contribute right away b/c of the pass happy ways of college football. Just need to make sure that the guy isn't apprehensive about lowering his shoulder pads to bring down RB's. I got two guys I really like and both could be there for the taking.....Trayvon Mullen (6-2 @ 190 lbs) Clemson and Isaiah Johnson (6-2 @ 195 lbs) Houston. Both of these guys possess, ability to cover and don't mind the hitting part of the job.

With that, I would make Risner or Mullen my first pick or better yet, trade down if both look like they'll remain on the board at the new position.
James is a RT. I would prefer Trent Brown and a (CB Darby) that would let them ignore need with the first pick

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I'm thinking along the line of doing everything possible to keep Watson healthy, whether BOB is here or not.
I agree with this and that's why I'm not in favor of trading up. I'd rather keep and use the picks rather than sink everything into one player. Other teams know our needs and they know we will (should) be drafting heavy on the Oline so they are going to make us pay through the nose. Add to that they may play hardball with Gaines just to see what kind of GM he is. I don't have a problem with that but I also don't think its worth it this year. Keep the picks and then we can draft quantity and well as best quality available. I'd rather have 3-5 decent new guys on the Oline rather than 1 good or even great new guy. No matter how good someone is one person can still only do so much and other teams will just start scheming around neutralizing that one person.

That's not even touching on our needs at WR, RB and possibly even defense depending on how things go with our players going into F/A. Now if we could sign some worthwhile vets in F/A I might feel different but if its draft alone I'd rather have the picks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree with this and that's why I'm not in favor of trading up. I'd rather keep and use the picks rather than sink everything into one player. Other teams know our needs and they know we will (should) be drafting heavy on the Oline so they are going to make us pay through the nose. Add to that they may play hardball with Gaines just to see what kind of GM he is. I don't have a problem with that but I also don't think its worth it this year. Keep the picks and then we can draft quantity and well as best quality available. I'd rather have 3-5 decent new guys on the Oline rather than 1 good or even great new guy. No matter how good someone is one person can still only do so much and other teams will just start scheming around neutralizing that one person.

That's not even touching on our needs at WR, RB and possibly even defense depending on how things go with our players going into F/A. Now if we could sign some worthwhile vets in F/A I might feel different but if its draft alone I'd rather have the picks.
All it would cost to move up 8 spots is the DB 2nd that Ricky traded for. That's a small price to pay for a 10 yr starting LT, which is what I believe Little is.

Look at the price of LT's in FA and a 2nd isn't a large price to pay to protect Watson.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Of course he was

The only RB's I've seen that were Walter Payton and Jim Brown.

Emmitt's work ethic and vision along with his toughness make him a GOAT.
Good. I grant Dallas had a great offensive line but he was phenomenal also. Made 2/3rds of his yards after 1st contact.

Good friends with Payton. His balance was unsurpassed. And the use of his right hand to divert blows. He was special.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

Wait, Bob has had five years and this would make it 7 to build the offensive line. If he continues to underperform he should be fired.

Reactions: Max

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wait, Bob has had five years and this would make it 7 to build the offensive line. If he continues to underperform he should be fired.
Depends on who you think was in charge on getting the talent for the ol. Or better neglecting the ol.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
A cornerback is the most pressing need. OL is also critical, but with a shiturd coaching it, an individual talent won't help much.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Depends on who you think was in charge on getting the talent for the ol. Or better neglecting the ol.
O'Brian has to held accountable @ some point. Just checking, but would you be happy if Texans selected Oklahoma OT/OG Cody Ford with the 23rd overall pick in 2019 draft or trade back a few picks and risk losing shot at him ala Duane Brown move, and still getting him end of first or early 2nd? Think he is the most ready to start and contribute offensive lineman in area Texans are slotted.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
O'Brian has to held accountable @ some point. Just checking, but would you be happy if Texans selected Oklahoma OT/OG Cody Ford with the 23rd overall pick in 2019 draft or trade back a few picks and risk losing shot at him ala Duane Brown move, and still getting him end of first or early 2nd? Think he is the most ready to start and contribute offensive lineman in area Texans are slotted.
I would pick Ford at 23.

But I like the other OT"s I listed more.

Agreed about BOB, but I would give him Two more drafts with Gaine to correct the incompetence of the past gm . I've' always maintained that it would take three years to clean up Ricky's mess and nothing so far has changed my mind.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I would pick Ford at 23.

But I like the other OT"s I listed more.

Agreed about BOB, but I would give him Two more drafts with Gaine to correct the incompetence of the past gm . I've' always maintained that it would take three years to clean up Ricky's mess and nothing so far has changed my mind.
I’m giving him two more drafts, lol then it’s judgement day :cutthroat:

Max

Veteran
Curious what you guys see in Ford that you don't see in Rankin? They look very similar to me - big, powerful, but questionable quickness for tackle making G their more natural fit. If this is the best prospect, I'd prefer to give Rankin a full training camp at RT, find our LT in FA, and use our 1st pick on other needs while getting OL that aren't going to be an upgrade later in the draft.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Curious what you guys see in Ford that you don't see in Rankin? They look very similar to me - big, powerful, but questionable quickness for tackle making G their more natural fit. If this is the best prospect, I'd prefer to give Rankin a full training camp at RT, find our LT in FA, and use our 1st pick on other needs while getting OL that aren't going to be an upgrade later in the draft.
Ford seems more athletic to me than Rankin. Rankin struggles with edge rushers because of his lack of athleticism, whereas Ford struggles because of poor technique. One problem is fixable the other is not, doesn't mean he will fix it, he may never and have to move inside but the possibility is there.

Max

Veteran
Ford seems more athletic to me than Rankin. Rankin struggles with edge rushers because of his lack of athleticism, whereas Ford struggles because of poor technique. One problem is fixable the other is not, doesn't mean he will fix it, he may never and have to move inside but the possibility is there.
Rankin seems plenty athletic to me. There were clearly times that Rankin had no idea what his assignment was and I really feel like he may have been late off the ball at times and got beat because he was in his head trying to remember what he was supposed to do. I don't feel like he played to his talent and I believe that coaching and moving him around too much played a role in that. I'm almost certain that I'm in the minority on this, but I think he could still play LT in the league if they kept him there and he learned the position. I'm even more confident he could play RT. I just don't want to draft a tackle in the 1st that isn't a clear upgrade and bounce him around without a chance to learn the position then throw up their arms and move him to guard. We already have one of those.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Rankin seems plenty athletic to me. There were clearly times that Rankin had no idea what his assignment was and I really feel like he may have been late off the ball at times and got beat because he was in his head trying to remember what he was supposed to do. I don't feel like he played to his talent and I believe that coaching and moving him around too much played a role in that. I'm almost certain that I'm in the minority on this, but I think he could still play LT in the league if they kept him there and he learned the position. I'm even more confident he could play RT. I just don't want to draft a tackle in the 1st that isn't a clear upgrade and bounce him around without a chance to learn the position then throw up their arms and move him to guard. We already have one of those.
your'e much higher on Rankin than I am