Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1st Round Pick

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Offensive linemen, one in the 1st round and two in the second round.
We're drafting 23rd. Would you be okay trading a 4th to move up 5 spots if needed? Or one of our 2nds & probably get to 13?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
We're drafting 23rd. Would you be okay trading a 4th to move up 5 spots if needed? Or one of our 2nds & probably get to 13?
I'm not a big fan of trading draft choices, so normally I'd answer no. It depends on how the draft is going.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not a big fan of trading draft choices, so normally I'd answer no. It depends on how the draft is going.
So... whatever OL is there at 23 then? What if he isn't any good & you already know it?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If he's there, RT/OC, Dalton Risner- Kansas State. I could make a case for LT, Cajuste- West Virginia but he's going to go before Pick 23 rolls around. Risner could be both the best RT and OC in this draft and he's got what you would want in an OL between the ears.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Then you trade up and get the 1 you like.

Gotta protect Watson at all costs.

#62sacksandapoorrungame
This.

IF you dont protect Watson now, by the time you pull your head out of your butt to find him protection he might be shell shocked OR too broken and his talent wasted.

What is the point of finding our franchise QB if we are just going to break him?

See Houston..? This is why we cant have nice things.

Protect him!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Then you trade up and get the 1 you like.

Gotta protect Watson at all costs.

#62sacksandapoorrungame
Were you following the whole discussion or just jumped in at that post?

There was a dialogue between Thorn & myself he already took trading up off the board. Not an option.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If you want to protect Watson at all cost. How about hiring a freaking legit offensive lines coach. How about we stop playing freaking olinemen out of position. And how about sticking with a starting 5 for more than one freaking season.

A few on here kills me with this protect Watson at all cost. But fail to address the real freaking problems.

Yes they need to draft the BA offensive lineman in the first two rounds. But if you don't address the elephants in the room, you can toss that protection rant out the window

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't care for giving away picks unless you are making a move for a franchise changing player Iike a QB. A good O line is very important but this is a pretty deep draft and a fairly good F/A for what we are shopping for. I say keep the picks and risk getting the second or third best and then still can draft more rather than putting it all into one player.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If you want to protect Watson at all cost. How about hiring a freaking legit offensive lines coach. How about we stop playing freaking olinemen out of position. And how about sticking with a starting 5 for more than one freaking season.

A few on here kills me with this protect Watson at all cost. But fail to address the real freaking problems.

Yes they need to draft the BA offensive lineman in the first two rounds. But if you don't address the elephants in the room, you can toss that protection rant out the window
It's not that people don't see it, we all see and know that at least the O line coach sucks. Think even Steel said that. It's that you cant draft coaches and there is nothing that can be said about any of our coaches that hasn't been said a dozen times now by half a dozen different people.

At least when talking about who we could/should draft it's something different rather than beating the same dead horse.

People hijacking every thread to complain about the coaches some more is not going to change anything. The topic is about the draft so let's stick with the draft. Trust me we'll have plenty of time to talk about how horrible/great the coaches are doing with them.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's not that people don't see it, we all see and know that at least the O line coach sucks. Think even Steel said that. It's that you cant draft coaches and there is nothing that can be said about any of our coaches that hasn't been said a dozen times now by half a dozen different people.

At least when talking about who we could/should draft it's something different rather than beating the same dead horse.

People hijacking every thread to complain about the coaches some more is not going to change anything. The topic is about the draft so let's stick with the draft. Trust me we'll have plenty of time to talk about how horrible/great the coaches are doing with them.

And people keep starting threads in the wrong section. There is a section on here for draft talk.

Lol hijacking. Too funny.

And again fix the glaring coaching issues then we don't have to worry about wasted draft picks.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
And people keep starting threads in the wrong section. There is a section on here for draft talk.

Lol hijacking. Too funny.

And again fix the glaring coaching issues then we don't have to worry about wasted draft picks.
Last I checked no body said the Oline coaches job should be safe unless I missed something. I have yet to see anyone claiming he did a good job, but I could have missed it.

This being a draft thread.... yeah we are talking about players not coaches.

IF the Oline coach needs to be fired and a new one brought in at double the price..... correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be covered under the...." AT ALL COST" part.

Just wouldnt be a knee jerk response by your average poster to FIRE OLINE COACH In a thread about draft picks.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Amen.

If we got lucky enough that the best offensive tackle fell to us & we drafted him, then luck into the best Gaurd & Center with our 2nd round picks, our OL will still suck & we'll say, "It was a bad year for OL."

Same thing happened the first 4 years of Texans history. Every year we'd have two or three new offensive linemen but our QB kept getting the snot beat out of him. We changed the QB & all of a sudden our OL gets better year over year.

Well, we even changed our QB & our ever changing OL keeps getting worse & worse. I don't care who you are, but 5 years & you can't find one decent starter across 5 positions... gotta be statistically impossible.

Change the coach, or you're better off drafting FBs with your first three picks.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
best defense player available ..lets just mimic the patriots and get our o line men in the 4th and 5th rounds and off the streets

pick 1 2 and 3 should be all defense

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Some thoughts: If we sign 27 YOA (June) RT Ju'Wuan James in free agency with the recent signing of Henderson, I would not draft Risner. The latter allegedly has short arms & is projected best to OG. I have considered drafting him for that spot but mocking Scharping there behind Fuller or starting if Fuller is center. While LTs are few in this draft (some are saying Jonah Williams should be OG..I disagree), Cajusty is the one that could be in play for Texans. The mystery is at which pick. I've seen him as low as mid third round; perhaps due to his prior injury despite not showing negatives in 2018.

While I know we need OT, James and perhaps Management thinks Henderson will eliminate need for right side. IF Cajusty or another soon to start OT can be had outside round one, #23 becomes for me a player of many seasons longevity. Fortunately, a player at dire need spots at corner back Byron Murphy (Mel Kiper projects to #23) may be there and another at RB Damien Harris. Yet another although not a dire need could be Zach Allen DE/DT.

I'm seriously thinking if #23 CB Byron Murphy 2.54 CB Julian Love 2.55 CB Trayvon Mullen 3.87 OT Cajusty were available I'd do that. Murphy starts day one opposite Joseph who might be beaten out during season by Mullen with Love competing with Colvin. Cajusty beats out Davenport or if not (don't laugh I was right about D being LT for the season)he battles and prob starts over Rankin. Martin and Fuller at center with Scharping 5.157 at RG see his ranking stats at PFF with James/Henderson RT.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I thought this thread was about a draft pick and not coaching?

You draft ol and you keep drafting them till we get it right.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Last I checked no body said the Oline coaches job should be safe unless I missed something. I have yet to see anyone claiming he did a good job, but I could have missed it.

This being a draft thread.... yeah we are talking about players not coaches.

IF the Oline coach needs to be fired and a new one brought in at double the price..... correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be covered under the...." AT ALL COST" part.

Just wouldnt be a knee jerk response by your average poster to FIRE OLINE COACH In a thread about draft picks.

And yet this is still not the right place.

Mods can you move this to the right place.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
And yet this is still not the right place.

Mods can you move this to the right place.
Ok fine if you want to be the kid on the playground telling everyone its against the rules and I'm telling the teacher then yeah it most likely was started in the wrong place. That being said though hijacking a thread and posting about things that is off topic is also against the rules so its that whole two wrongs things. I'd like to think we are all adults here and that's why the mods let a lot of things slide unless it gets into personal attacks or something. Personally I was happy to see the Texans section with something that shouldn't have had anything to do with the coaches and could open actual discussions.

Man, aren't you tired of :deadhorse about the coaches yet? The lines have been drawn and everyone has either picked their side or had their side picked for them when they didn't call for the coaches head or declare him the savior of Houston football. There is nothing else that can be said one way or another and it doesn't matter anyway because nobody here has any power to change anything even if they want to. Cal is not lurking around on these forums looking for advice on being an NFL owner so making everything about the coaches you are either preaching to the choir or spitting in the wind or just making the reader go "Oh not another rant about the coaches" depending on who is reading the post.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Ok fine if you want to be the kid on the playground telling everyone its against the rules and I'm telling the teacher then yeah it most likely was started in the wrong place. That being said though hijacking a thread and posting about things that is off topic is also against the rules so its that whole two wrongs things. I'd like to think we are all adults here and that's why the mods let a lot of things slide unless it gets into personal attacks or something. Personally I was happy to see the Texans section with something that shouldn't have had anything to do with the coaches and could open actual discussions.

Man, aren't you tired of :deadhorse about the coaches yet? The lines have been drawn and everyone has either picked their side or had their side picked for them when they didn't call for the coaches head or declare him the savior of Houston football. There is nothing else that can be said one way or another and it doesn't matter anyway because nobody here has any power to change anything even if they want to. Cal is not lurking around on these forums looking for advice on being an NFL owner so making everything about the coaches you are either preaching to the choir or spitting in the wind or just making the reader go "Oh not another rant about the coaches" depending on who is reading the post.
Not only post of this new year, but probably POY of past several

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I'm not a Devlin fan in fact I've said many times he needs to be replaced. He's the guy that thought Davenport could play LT in the NFL.

But you could have Gibbs/Houck/Scarnecchia etc... coaching the Texans OL and if the starting OT's are Davenport/Lamm the OL would still suck.

watt99x99

Waterboy
if we can find high end ready to play CB or Oline. wouldn't mind trading up, but use first 4 picks on those positions. then release some of the injury CB and bust CB. also worst oline in the league. let them all go. rebuild those around JJ. they will be good enough for DW4 and Nuke.

Shishkabob

All Pro
I'm not a Devlin fan in fact I've said many times he needs to be replaced. He's the guy that thought Davenport could play LT in the NFL.

But you could have Gibbs/Houck/Scarnecchia etc... coaching the Texans OL and if the starting OT's are Davenport/Lamm the OL would still suck.
but still better

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

Is that true? Gibbs had 6th round Chris Myers in the probowl. Houck made undrafted Mark Tuinei a prowbowler and ring holder much less stupidly undersized Mark Stepnoski and 3rd round Erik Flowers. Good coaching goes a long way.

Houck's OL gave up less than 200 sacks in a decade while having a leading RB and they didn't spend 5 1st & 2nd round picks.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Is that true? Gibbs had 6th round Chris Myers in the probowl. Houck made undrafted Mark Tuinei a prowbowler and ring holder much less stupidly undersized Mark Stepnoski and 3rd round Erik Flowers. Good coaching goes a long way.

Houck's OL gave up less than 200 sacks in a decade while having a leading RB and they didn't spend 5 1st & 2nd round picks.
Could you imagine the results if a great OL Coach was given some of the top OL talent from a few draft's?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
L

Coaching does matter.

This group would still suck

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Still seems a bit premature but would like O’Brian/Gaine duo imitate Patriot model and leverage slots to trade down and address quality depth across roster to address needs and still select BPA.
I agree with this philosophy starting in 2020.

Gaine has to find the best LT possible in this draft to protect Watson, even if that means trading up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who would you trade up for in this draft? I just haven't seen anyone that I've watched yet that would really warrant a move up.
Little

Depending on how the draft falls Dillard or Cajuste. But I wouldn't trade up far for those guys.