Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

At one point, LSU's DBs just wave the white flag and start tackling him and pulling his jersey during his routes. LOL, almost every catch attempt he's got guys draped all over him.

The TD catch at the beginning of that clip was special. He'll need those skills to dig up Schaub's subterranean passes that everyone has to lay out for.

Eric Reid, picked #18, pretty much just resorted to hitting him before he caught the ball. He just abused those guys when he played LSU.

I had heard that they planned to move Crick inside to NT/DT when they let Cody walk .... but that makes the DE depth that much thinner and Im not sold that Crick can handle playing inside.

I haven't heard that, but I do remember seeing Crick take a few snaps at NT, so I assume it may be part of their plan. However, I doubt their plans are written in stone at this point.

As far as roster spots go, I think that's the main reason for our subpar ST play of late. Too many big guys. OL & DL. We need to trim down at those spots, stock up on receivers, TEs, DBs, & LBs.

Watt, Mitchell, Smith, Jamison, & Crick should be enough bodies. If there's an upgrade over any of them, I'm fine with that, but we don't need to carry six DLmen for our 3-4.

I didn't have time to follow the draft year, but after watching highlights and Nuk's skills I love this pick.

We now have a "Nuk-lear Option"!!!

Mushroom-Cloud.jpg

82 catches for a 17.1 yard per reception average. That's a lot of receptions to still manage such a high average. And 18 TDs. Imagine if he were fast. :thinking:
No kidding. Lots of hating going on for this pick and I just don't get it.

For the "2nd best receiver on his team" comment:
RECEIVING G-S Rec Yards Y/Rec Rec/G Y/G TD 20+ LG
6 DeAndre Hopkins, WR 13-13 82 1405 17.1 6.3 108.1 18 24 62
2 Sammy Watkins, WR 10-7 57 708 12.4 5.7 70.8 3 10 61

Andre's last collegiate seasson for comparison. (Granted Andre had better competition that year)

2002* Miami (FL) Big East JR WR 52 1092 21.0 9

Was listening to a guy on local shreveport radio today and he said that Hopkins is the best offensive player the Texans have drafted since Arian Foster. I laughed a little and moved on.

Mike

Was listening to a guy on local shreveport radio today and he said that Hopkins is the best offensive player the Texans have drafted since Arian Foster. I laughed a little and moved on.

Mike

So he's the best offensive player the Texans have drafted since never. High praise, indeed. :D

Interesting:

• Set state high school record for career interceptions, rated #14 cornerback in the nation by Scout.com
  • Went to Clemson as a CB and moved to WR due to team need
  • Played basketball for Clemson after the 2010-11 football season ended; was a member of Clemson’s NCAA Tournament team, but did not travel to the tourney
  • Became the second player in ACC history to total at least 50 receptions as both a freshman and sophomore
  • ACC-record 18 touchdowns in 2012, second in the nation
  • Had game-highs 13 receptions for 191 yards, and two touchdowns against #7 Louisiana State in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31
  • Turns 21 on June 6

Interesting:

• Set state high school record for career interceptions, rated #14 cornerback in the nation by Scout.com
  • Went to Clemson as a CB and moved to WR due to team need
  • Played basketball for Clemson after the 2010-11 football season ended; was a member of Clemson’s NCAA Tournament team, but did not travel to the tourney
  • Became the second player in ACC history to total at least 50 receptions as both a freshman and sophomore
  • ACC-record 18 touchdowns in 2012, second in the nation
  • Had game-highs 13 receptions for 191 yards, and two touchdowns against #7 Louisiana State in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31
    [*]Turns 21 on June 6

Looks like someone's going to show up to practice hungover on June 7...

Watkins got injured early in the 2012 season.

He had a stellar true freshman season in 2011. He looks poised for a dominant 2013 season and a #1 ranking fr his position, I would say.

Actually, missed two game due to suspension at the being of the year and only one due to injury. he blantly regressed on the field and was no way a better football player than Hopkins in 2012.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/ccl/stats

Not sure. There was some guy named Young who wore 10. All the Texans saw of him was the back of his jersey.
You don't see much of it anymore.

I know this will probably change now that Hopkins in the NFL and i don't want this to change anyones perception of him but i thought i'de pass this along. I go to a college in South Carolina and its pretty well known that both him and Sammy Watkins both smoke a lot. Not only that but a couple of my buddies say that their friends at Clemson happen to get weed from Hopkins. Like i said, hopefully he puts this behind him now that he's in NFL because he has all the physical attributes to be a great receiver.
Are we to believe 4th hand rumors over the extensive background checks an NFL team does on potential 1st round picks? I'm sure you trust your "information", but consider why others would not.

The Tigers used Watkins in multiple fashion (similar to how Patterson and Austin were used).

Hopkins, Hunter, and Bailey were strictly receivers on their respective team.

All six did well in their particular role.

Watkins, Patterson, and Austin were used in multiple fashion because they all are dynamic players who can make things happen with the ball in their hand.

Hopkins and Bailey are best route runners while Hunter is more explosive just like the tests at the combine showed.

Bailey is the smartest but Hopkins has the size and speed advantage over him.

Watt, Mitchell, Smith, Jamison, & Crick should be enough bodies. If there's an upgrade over any of them, I'm fine with that, but we don't need to carry six DLmen for our 3-4.

I think the minimum we carry is six.

If the guy from bowling green doesn't make the roster I'll be shocked. Not only do I think he has a great chance to make it, but I also think he can push for playing time this coming season.

But for d linemen you'd ideally want a back up for each spot since it's a position where guys can tire out fast. You want a lot of fresh bodies there. Plus guys tend to get injured down there.

O line guys cab go the whole game generally so you don't need a back up for every spot. Maybe 8 o line guys.

So, what are our expectations of Mr Hopkins?

400 yards? 50 catches? 10 TDs?

In his first year, I'm hoping for 35-40 catches, 500-600 yards, and 5 TDs.

I'm not going to be surprised if he gets more, though.

I see him as Kevin Walter on Steroids. He's extremely sure handed. It's all going to come down to trust.

If he learns the offense and Schaub starts to trust that he's going to be where he's supposed to be AND that he's going to catch the ball, he could have an EPIC year because teams are still going to be rolling coverage toward Andre and daring the rookie to beat them.

Questions are can/will Schaub look to his right more for DeAndre? Will Gary call his number? Are the Texans regrouping their run game adding to the FB position and an in line blocking TE?

I don't know about numbers, but the kid will fight at the point of attack and seems to put a lot of work in on his hands.

Questions are can/will Schaub look to his right more for DeAndre? Will Gary call his number? Are the Texans regrouping their run game adding to the FB position and an in line blocking TE?

I don't know about numbers, but the kid will fight at the point of attack and seems to put a lot of work in on his hands.

This is what bothered me most towards the end of the season. I don't have a clue why, but Schaub seemed to be forcing the ball to AJ way too often. It's like he didn't trust anyone but AJ. Hopkins is supposedly know for his ability to fight for the ball when it's thrown his way. I sure hope Schaub can spread the ball around like he used to do

This is what bothered me most towards the end of the season. I don't have a clue why, but Schaub seemed to be forcing the ball to AJ way too often. It's like he didn't trust anyone but AJ. Hopkins is supposedly know for his ability to fight for the ball when it's thrown his way. I sure hope Schaub can spread the ball around like he used to do

And I think that's what it's all about. I said this somewhere else, but it's about trust.

By the end of the season, I don't think Schaub trusted Martin because of how many times he'd put the ball in the boy's hands and had him drop it. I don't think he trusted KW because he wasn't getting separation and wasn't catching everything thrown to him like he had been a few years ago.

I'm hoping Hopkins learns his role and his routes and I hope he doesn't drop any balls because Schaub needs for him to get to his spot and catch the ball so that trust can start to build up.

And I think that's what it's all about. I said this somewhere else, but it's about trust.

By the end of the season, I don't think Schaub trusted Martin because of how many times he'd put the ball in the boy's hands and had him drop it. I don't think he trusted KW because he wasn't getting separation and wasn't catching everything thrown to him like he had been a few years ago.

I'm hoping Hopkins learns his role and his routes and I hope he doesn't drop any balls because Schaub needs for him to get to his spot and catch the ball so that trust can start to build up.

Agreed! The dude's supposed to have great hands from what I've read. Hopefully he's able to get a grasp of the playbook quickly in order to produce right away. And, like you said, earn Schaub's trust.

I think there may be a perception problem here:

Percentage of attempts AJ targeted:

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

I left off 2007 and 2011 because AJ missed substantial time.

That is a flat line the entire time AJ and Schaub have worked together.

I agree with TPN that trust is key to Hopkins' season but I wouldn't look for a lot of targets being pulled from AJ.

Not as a prediction but I looked at AJ's rookie numbers and it is incredible he got 976 yards with Carr at QB and a passing attack with a whopping 2600 yds.

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

I see it the same way, kinda.

When I took into account the players available at different skill positions (WR, TE, FB, RB) and their experience in the system, I saw a very normal distribution (target-wise).

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

I agree with TPN that trust is key to Hopkins' season but I wouldn't look for a lot of targets being pulled from AJ.

Not as a prediction but I looked at AJ's rookie numbers and it is incredible he got 976 yards with Carr at QB and a passing attack with a whopping 2600 yds.

Hmm, weird. I guess it just seemed like he forced it a lot more towards the end of the season. You'd think with all the coverage that gets rolled to wherever AJ lines up there'd be an open man somewhere. Hence the reason we drafted a WR in the 1st.

Don't mind me, I'm just babbling. Asking and answering my questions

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

Confused by your numbers. Not sure where they are from?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/04/numbers-show-texans-overdependence-on-andre-johnson/

Statistically, it’s easy to show why the Texans need this. ESPN’s AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky collected these numbers from ESPN Stats and Info:

The Texans were one of four NFL teams that targeted one receiver more than all the rest combined, along with the Lions, Chiefs and Bears.
Johnson was targeted on 58.1 percent of the Texans’ pass attempts to receivers, the highest rate in the league.
Quarterback Matt Schaub’s completion percentage was 70.9 to Johnson with 31.6 attempts per interception. Meanwhile, his completion percentage to every other receiver on his roster was 56.5 with 21.6 attempts per interception.

Different stat. That is % targets to WR's. In terms of the issue of fixating on AJ I think that is irrelevant. This discussion is about is Schaub looking at all his receiving options. Our system since OD has been here has always targeted OD and the TE's highly. Now Hopkins may shift the WR numbers some away from the TE's and RB's but I bet AJ still gets his 30%.

Stats are from ESPN.

By the way is it surprising AJ, CJ and Brandon Marshall get targeted a lot?

Hmm, weird. I guess it just seemed like he forced it a lot more towards the end of the season. You'd think with all the coverage that gets rolled to wherever AJ lines up there'd be an open man somewhere. Hence the reason we drafted a WR in the 1st.

Don't mind me, I'm just babbling. Asking and answering my questions

Remember the first 7 or 8 games, people forgot about Dre... we weren't getting him the ball for one reason or another. Then he turned it on. There was a definite "Forced it to Dre" feel to the last 4 or 5 games.

But, we were asking for those guys to step up....... Dre included & I think that would entail some forcing. It's all semantics.

But, it's been correctly stated here, overall Schaub is pretty good about spreading the ball around. Go back & read a couple of TCs blogs. This year was an abnormally bad year for the Texans catch rate. There was some definite trust issues that came to bear at the wrong time.

Hopefully another full season with Graham playing significant minutes, the absence of "Drops a sure fire TD in the endzone that could have changed the game" Casey..... schaub will spread it around & open this thang up.

The Texans were one of four NFL teams that targeted one receiver more than all the rest combined, along with the Lions, Chiefs and Bears.
Johnson was targeted on 58.1 percent of the Texans’ pass attempts to receivers, the highest rate in the league.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/04/numbers-show-texans-overdependence-on-andre-johnson/

That's one of the things you'll fail to grasp, if you're using the eyeball test. Basically it says that Schaub checks down to RBs & TEs less than most QBs in the league, particularly, Stafford, Cutler, & whoever suited up for KC.

Different stat. That is % targets to WR's. In terms of the issue of fixating on AJ I think that is irrelevant. This discussion is about is Schaub looking at all his receiving options. Our system since OD has been here has always targeted OD and the TE's highly. Now Hopkins may shift the WR numbers some away from the TE's and RB's but I bet AJ still gets his 30%.

Stats are from ESPN.

By the way is it surprising AJ, CJ and Brandon Marshall get targeted a lot?

KW had 41 receptions last year. If Hopkins quickly picks up the playbook and learns his routes and doesn't put the ball on the field (unlike Martin and Posey), I expect him to get KWs numbers from last year. At least. If he really progresses, he could also pick up some of Casey's targets.

But I expect him to quickly grow into the numbers KW had at his peak, if not progress past them.

And if Hopkins can start putting up some big numbers, I expect AJ to start putting up some bigger numbers as teams try to get sneaky in trying to cover both of them.

Remember the first 7 or 8 games, people forgot about Dre... we weren't getting him the ball for one reason or another. Then he turned it on. There was a definite "Forced it to Dre" feel to the last 4 or 5 games.

But, we were asking for those guys to step up....... Dre included & I think that would entail some forcing. It's all semantics.

But, it's been correctly stated here, overall Schaub is pretty good about spreading the ball around. Go back & read a couple of TCs blogs. This year was an abnormally bad year for the Texans catch rate. There was some definite trust issues that came to bear at the wrong time.

Hopefully another full season with Graham playing significant minutes, the absence of "Drops a sure fire TD in the endzone that could have changed the game" Casey..... schaub will spread it around & open this thang up.

It's still perception.
Early in the season, the team was doing well on both sides of the ball
We didn't need AJ; instead, we gave the ball to Foster to close out games.

In the second half, we weren't ahead anywhere close to the beginning of the season, we needed to go to the air more.
In the first eleven games, AJ averaged a little over 9 targets a game.
In the next 4 games, he averaged 10.
It was only the last game that he saw a whole bunch of targets.

In the playoffs, his number went back to the norm while O.D.'s number escalated and even exceeded AJ's by a healthy margin.

Overall, there was no noticeable trend.
It was just normal game situation; pass rush/protection; how the opponent chose to defend/cover, among other things.

Sometimes I wished we had attacked more with AJ against a certain defense but the Texans didn't.
But when I watched other NFL games, the same thing occurred; the other coaches didn't either.

Sometimes they do, but most often, they just run their offense.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://images.townnews.com/lmtonline.com/content/articles/2013/04/29/front/sports/doc517de962b0379395546780.jpg[/IMG]

KW had 41 receptions last year. If Hopkins quickly picks up the playbook and learns his routes and doesn't put the ball on the field (unlike Martin and Posey), I expect him to get KWs numbers from last year. At least. If he really progresses, he could also pick up some of Casey's targets.

But I expect him to quickly grow into the numbers KW had at his peak, if not progress past them.

And if Hopkins can start putting up some big numbers, I expect AJ to start putting up some bigger numbers as teams try to get sneaky in trying to cover both of them.

I think he would have to be really special to get 41 catches. Or at least Kubiak & Schaub has to think he's special.

We'll probably see more of a rotation at that spot, with the reps LeStar & Martin have on Hopkins. Then, we'll probably see more 3 WRs instead of 2 TEs like we did last year.

So who knows?

But I think we'll see less total catches, but a higher YPC & that's what we need from that position to stretch the field.

... we weren't getting him the ball for one reason or another.

It's all semantics.

Early in the season, the team was doing well on both sides of the ball
We didn't need AJ; instead, we gave the ball to Foster to close out games.

In the second half, we weren't ahead anywhere close to the beginning of the season, we needed to go to the air more.

Good....... we agree.

I think he would have to be really special to get 41 catches. Or at least Kubiak & Schaub has to think he's special.

We'll probably see more of a rotation at that spot, with the reps LeStar & Martin have on Hopkins. Then, we'll probably see more 3 WRs instead of 2 TEs like we did last year.

So who knows?

But I think we'll see less total catches, but a higher YPC & that's what we need from that position to stretch the field.

Last year, there were 9 rookies that got over 41 catches. The year before, there were 7. The year before that, there were 8.

I expect Hopkins to be at least as good as Jordan Shipley was with the Bengals (52 catches his rookie year), a Titus Young with the Lions (48), a Doug Baldwin with the Seahawks (51), Chris Givens with the Rams (42), Michael Floyd with the Cards (45), T.Y. Hilton with the Colts (50).

His numbers might be decreased because he's NOT coming in and expected to be the #1 from Day 1 but I expect him to be one of the premier rookie WRs.

Whether he's going to live up to that expectation or not, that's the real question.

Last year, there were 9 rookies that got over 41 catches. The year before, there were 7. The year before that, there were 8.

I meant he would have to be special to get 41 catches on this team with Kubiak & Schaub. Not that it's rare for a rookie WR to get 41 catches. Pretty much a continuation of the "trust" concersation we were having earlier.

Andre, OD, Arian, Graham..... then the scraps. Hopkins is going to have to earn Schaub's trust on those scraps before he moves up the pecking order.

HT.com link

In a show of leadership, Schaub texted Hopkins after he was drafted on Thursday night around 10 p.m. CT.

“It’s very important (to do) for all the picks, but especially an early pick and being an offensive guy and someone that we’re going to be joined here for a while between me, him and ‘Dre (Andre Johnson) and Arian (Foster),” Schaub said. “So I just wanted to welcome him and let him know that there’s a lot of work ahead.”

Schaub said he was lying around at home after he texted Hopkins. He didn’t expect to get a call back at such a late hour amid the chaos Hopkins was dealing after being selected.

“The type of kid that he is, he called me back about five minutes later and we talked for about 10 minutes,” Schaub said. “Just shows his character and what he’s all about.”

Reactions: Rey

That's awesome man.

Im excited about this season again I'm I'm hoping that Schaub shows a little better late in the season.

But overall I think Hopkins is going to beast in this system. With the way he runs routes, if he can get his timing together he's going to see a lot of balls. When you made your initial prediction I said I had to think about it, and I do think he'd going to get at least 800 yards. I don't know about the TD's...that stuff is so unpredictable im our offense, but I think Hopkins is your day 1 starter opposite dre and I think he's a better receiver than Walter and jacoby were.

So who knows?

Rick perhaps? He's on record saying their looking for Hopkins to start opposite AJ day one. An "IMPACT PLAYER" in the first round is his motto. That's what I'm expecting out of the 27th pick on day one as well.

Guess we'll see.

Rick perhaps? He's on record saying their looking for Hopkins to start opposite AJ day one. An "IMPACT PLAYER" in the first round is his motto. That's what I'm expecting out of the 27th pick on day one as well.

Guess we'll see.

I've got no doubt he'll start at WR2. Doesn't mean he'll get all the snaps. Kubiak has trust issues. Schaub has trust issues. & apparently it's pretty easy to get into Kube's doghouse.

Andre Davis should have started over Walter, didn't... & didn't get anywhere near 41 catches.

Honestly, I'd be happy if he can get 32 catches or so at 15+ a piece & 10 TDs. Solid, & promising.

I've got no doubt he'll start at WR2. Doesn't mean he'll get all the snaps. Kubiak has trust issues. Schaub has trust issues. & apparently it's pretty easy to get into Kube's doghouse.

Andre Davis should have started over Walter, didn't... & didn't get anywhere near 41 catches.

Honestly, I'd be happy if he can get 32 catches or so at 15+ a piece & 10 TDs. Solid, & promising.

Eh, i think last year, we gave Martin, Jean and Posey the opportunity to step up by targeting them quite a bit early in the season... none of them really did although Posey started to flash consistently towards the end but then he got hurt. Had he not gotten hurt or 1 of the other guys flashed consistently, i think there's a strong possibility that Hopkins isn't here today.

I say that to say that Kubes will give him the opportunity to step up like he did with the others last year and give him plenty of short to mid-range targets early on. If he succeeds he'll start letting him leg it out a bit. I think he'll be fine.

Back