Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

The first benefit if picking Hopkins is that he is bust proof. I keep reading that Hunter and Patterson have the most upside, but they have risks. Hopkins has almost no negatives. Then you look at his wingspan, hands, physicality, and big play ability, it's apparent that he has just as much upside as any receiver in this draft. Excellent pick.

I can't remember where I read this, but I recall reading that Patterson is literally too dumb to run routes.

The first benefit if picking Hopkins is that he is bust proof. I keep reading that Hunter and Patterson have the most upside, but they have risks. Hopkins has almost no negatives. Then you look at his wingspan, hands, physicality, and big play ability, it's apparent that he has just as much upside as any receiver in this draft. Excellent pick.

The only real negatives are that he is not a burner, and he is not very explosive. However, he does a good job using his body to box out though , and has excellent body control. He does have weaknesses, but he knows how to work with them.

This is the biggest thing for me.

We can't really waste time on getting a guy that will pan out in two years here...because Andre could be hanging it up 2 years from now. We needed a guy who can produce now and contribute now. Not another project pick.

The only real negatives are that he is not a burner, and he is not very explosive. However, he does a good job using his body to box out though , and has excellent body control. He does have weaknesses, but he knows how to work with them.

Actually I´ve read several times, that one of his greatest strength is his explosiveness off the snap. He is not a burner like say DeSean Jackson, but people are acting like he is slow and a pure posession receiver. 4.41 is not slow - and if you look at the tape, he actually plays pretty fast. He is probably compareable in speed to most elite receivers in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins is the full package - who knows, if he`ll ever be elite, but he should be able to step in and contribute right away. And he definetly has a superstar ceiling (though he probably ends up as just a very good #2 or an average #1).

Actually I´ve read several times, that one of his greatest strength is his explosiveness off the snap. He is not a burner like say DeSean Jackson, but people are acting like he is slow and a pure posession receiver. 4.41 is not slow - and if you look at the tape, he actually plays pretty fast. He is probably compareable in speed to most elite receivers in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins is the full package - who knows, if he`ll ever be elite, but he should be able to step in and contribute right away. And he definetly has a superstar ceiling (though he probably ends up as just a very good #2 or an average #1).

I don't see raw explosion. I realize that the scouting reports say there is, but I just dont see it. He gets off the line with average acceleration/burst, but is able to succeed because he is strong, sets up his fakes well, and uses his hands well.

As for his 40-time: that is track, not football. He has adequate speed- I am not saying he is a plodder. But like his "burst", I think it is merely average. But, again, his other abilities help him to minimize the negative affects.

Disagree completely. Patterson looks like a bust waiting to happen, IMO. Mayock is not that sold on him, saying he lacks a lot of maturity. He also doesn't seem to have that great of a motor out there. Almost like a Randy Moss in Randy's latter years.

Justin Hunter, IMO, is a project pick with a high ceiling (I like him BETTER than Patterson) but look, we tried to draft a high ceiling guy like Hunter. His name was Jacoby Jones. Both guys began their football careers as skinny kids and Mayock is concerned Hunter will not add more to his frame. Sure, he's 6'4" but Mayock is concerned about his softness over the middle. Plus, he has a focus problem on some passes. Unsure hands.

I don't think outside of Tavon Austin we could have picked a better Round 1 WR than Hopkins. Watch his highlights and then watch Allen, Austin, Patterson and Hunter highlights. To me, there's a visible difference in the way those guys are playing compared to Hopkins. Eyes don't lie, Hopkins LOOKS better.

No homer here, either. It remains to be seen if Schaub will be able to utilize the guy (I thought he'd be able to gel with Keyshawn Martin, and that turned to mush--though I know it was more Martin than Schaub, but still...). All in all, I think we got the guy we wanted. Kubiak knows offense. Phillips knows defense. So I'm good with this pick and hope he grades out the way others have him projected right now.

Wasn't a reach, wasn't a project pick. And THAT is worth a lot. To me.

Hopkins wasn't even the best WR on his team at Clemson. You sure put alot of stock in What Mayock thinks.

Patterson = Moss in Moss later yrs=LOL, Patterson plays nothing like Moss if you've ever seen Patterson play. Is he dumb as a box of rocks? Yes, but guess what AJ isn't exactly mensa material. If Gary would've been in charge when AJ was picked, AJ probably wouldn't be a Texan today.

JJ wouldn't make a pimple on Hunters butt. I read somewhere that Hunter was one of only 3 WR's to run a 4.4 or better at 6'4 and have over a 40 in vert. (Pro day) JJ never had anything close to that. He will be better in his 2nd yr coming off his ACL. Hunter is far from a project.

With that said I like Hopkins, he will be a solid #2. (Pun intended) But I would've picked a definsive guy like Hunt/Short/Minter in the 1st and maximized the value of the pick by taking Rodgers/Swope in the 2nd rd. But when BoB/AJ speak things happen.

Schaub is damaged goods, I dont want to derail the thread.

I can't remember where I read this, but I recall reading that Patterson is literally too dumb to run routes.

What is Kirksey's job? To teach?

On 2nd thought I'm glad they picked Hopkins, because teaching doesn't appear to a strength of Kirksey's.

This is the biggest thing for me.

We can't really waste time on getting a guy that will pan out in two years here...because Andre could be hanging it up 2 years from now. We needed a guy who can produce now and contribute now. Not another project pick.

Swope/Hunter/Rodgers are far from project picks and could've been had in the 2nd rd.

Your line of thinking is understandable if you think the Texans are going to have a chance of winning a SB next yr. (I dont) Is Hopkins really better than Posey or has more potential than Posey?

Thought I posted last night, but I got the impression that Patterson must have bombed A LOT of team interviews at the combine because the measureables and (albeit only one year of) tape are both there.

I think Hopkins is a good receiver and was a player I did a lot of reading on because I figured Patterson, Austin, and Allen would all be gone and Hopkins would be the "best of the rest". Everybody who goes to TC this summer is going to look squarely at his performance, I can garuntee, and I'm pretty excited to see if he can step in and contribute right away.

What we have to be aware of here is that the Texans had the pick of every WR that came out of college this year with the exception of Austin, who was not a consideration anyway since he went #8 overall and is really more of a slot-guy anyway and not a traditional WR.
I was impressed with the more glamorous Patterson and also USCs Robert Woods, either of whom the Texans could have had instead of Hopkins if that's what they wanted, but they didn't and clearly got their top choice.

Ok that was awesome. But I have to ask after all of that hype, they go off and compare him to Brandon Lloyd?!?

Anyway, I am pumped about this pick. This guy looks legit. Watching him in the LSU game. Just wow...

At one point, LSU's DBs just wave the white flag and start tackling him and pulling his jersey during his routes. LOL, almost every catch attempt he's got guys draped all over him.

The TD catch at the beginning of that clip was special. He'll need those skills to dig up Schaub's subterranean passes that everyone has to lay out for.

That's not exactly fair when the other receiver is Sammy Watkins, the #1 receiver for next year's draft. He would probably be the #1 receiver in this draft as well. He is Tavon Austin on steroids.

Hopkins was actually far more productive Watkins in 2012.

Ok that was awesome. But I have to ask after all of that hype, they go off and compare him to Brandon Lloyd?!?

Anyway, I am pumped about this pick. This guy looks legit. Watching him in the LSU game. Just wow...

They're comparing him to Brandon Lloyd in terms of measured ability.

BCci08OCQAElobE.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dwB5J11rmdU
I've been rewatching some Clemson games.
In the fourth game of the season, against the Seminoles, the announcer stated that the Tigers receivers practiced catching the ball with one hand, so that's a plus there.

Hopkins showed football saavy on a play where he was tackled after a short catch. The CB spun him around and Hopkins landed on the Defender's stomach. He immediately worked to break free, using his hands to push off the ground, not allowing his body or his knees to touch the ground. He then continued to run downfield; too bad, the side line judge ruled that he was in the grasp (which I don't think was the case.)

That was a smart and heady play by Hopkins.

I'd like to see him engage in his blocking better though.
We'll see how much he improved on that as the year went along; I still have plenty of tapes to review.

Can't say I'm super stoked, but I'm ok with it. I reckon I might be too defensive minded to really get excited about offensive picks. Especially knowing how stubborn Kubiak is with his offense. Hopefully Hopkins shows no flaws throughout camp, because if he does, he won't see the field until it's fixed.

Welcome to H-town, DeAndre!

Who would they put out there over him? LeStar? KMArt?

Hopkins is the starter from day 1. Book it.

Yep, I believe that Mercilus is the only Texans first round pick not to start opening day (unless the Brown/Salaam platoon caused Ephraim to technically be the starter). Mercilus was a pick at a future need, but not a current need, so that clearly differentiates him from Hopkins.

I think it's going to take more than a few foul ups to keep DeAndre out of the starting lineup - it would take something of a monumental nature.

Well, I read up on it and everything points to Hopkins.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/st...upied-trashed-hotel-rooms-combine-sources-say
A trashed hotel room at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis belonged to Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison, according to league sources.
NFL sources also told ESPN they believe Harrison is not responsible for what happened to the room.
Urine and feces were found around the bathroom, toothpaste was left on the mirror and partially eaten food was on one of the beds, sources told ESPN. Neither player made any attempt to clean up the mess, according to witnesses, and neither player has taken responsibility for the room. But, the NFL community is now well aware of which players occupied it.

One NFL coach expressed disappointment to hear that Hopkins, regarded as a potential second-round pick, may have been involved.

Also reported by http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...-mark-harrison-nfl-combine-trashed-hotel-room

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1...opkins-mark-harrison-deny-trashing-hotel-room
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/4/1...-combine-belonged-to-deandre-hopkins-and-mark
One would think that players would be on their best behavior while attending the biggest job interview of their football careers, but it appears that not everybody shared that sentiment. Initially, Jeff Foster, the president of the National Football Scouting organization who runs the combine, declined to identify the two responsible for the feces-fest, but now, ESPN mega-insider Adam Schefter has outed the duo as Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

If it is okay for you to say he had left it should be okay for others to post the opposite. I wasn't there so don't know but it is a story that should be at least considered by a team. Obviously, Texans not too concerned.

I believe the Texans were most impressed by his organic artistry while finger painting in the hotel. Good hands are hard to find...clean ones are more at a premium. -PoohCaso :cheese:

If you get the young man's autograph be certain to wash your hands most hastily after receiving.

Who would they put out there over him? LeStar? KMArt?

Hopkins is the starter from day 1. Book it.

Until the day comes where players don't get banged up anymore, I don't book anything.

I don't see anyone out there that they'd bring in and start over Hopkins.

Maybe if they trade for someone...

I don't see the harm in letting him learn on the job. It's not like anyone not named Andre was getting the ball last year anyways.

Devone Bess is available isn't he? That would be the guy if you want a vet. Mid round pick is what they were looking for.

Mike

He is not a burner like say DeSean Jackson, but people are acting like he is slow and a pure posession receiver. 4.41 is not slow - and if you look at the tape, he actually plays pretty fast. He is probably compareable in speed to most elite receivers in the game.

Well, if it wasn't at the combine, the 4.41 doesn't count. Didn't he run a 4.57 at the combine? That's his number. 4.5

But I do agree that he plays fast.

He doesn't look slow to me, so it's very possible that there's less drop of between his "shorts" time & his "pads" time than most guys..

Well, if it wasn't at the combine, the 4.41 doesn't count. Didn't he run a 4.57 at the combine? That's his number. 4.5

But I do agree that he plays fast.

He doesn't look slow to me, so it's very possible that there's less drop of between his "shorts" time & his "pads" time than most guys..

So you think a guy's combine time is the only measurement that can be used to judge a player? Sure, it might deserve the most weight, but seriously?!?

:wadepalm:

82 catches for a 17.1 yard per reception average. That's a lot of receptions to still manage such a high average. And 18 TDs. Imagine if he were fast. :thinking:

tough, competitive boundary WR who can quickly transition to NFL (Posey on PUP) & fits right in Texan scheme. Solid pick, can't believe he was still on the board, Texans let the draft come to them.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

Although I like (Crapper) Hopkins, I would've rather Rick/Gary taken a chance on greatness on a guy like Patterson/Hunter. Or go defense and take an impact defensive guy like Short and take one of the other WR's like Swope/Rodgers in the 2nd rd.

Gary decided to play it safe. (Not suprising) Gigem LOL

I guess AJ's words carry some weight in Gary's world.

we need depth pretty much everywhere else except NT. In the first round I think you draft your starter. I like the pick, we have needed a #2 WR for years and I think we finally got it.

we need depth pretty much everywhere else except NT. In the first round I think you draft your starter. I like the pick, we have needed a #2 WR for years and I think we finally got it.

I totally agree with the unbolded part.

I don't know that I agree with the bolded part at all.

NT: It all depends on how Wade feels about Mitchell. If he thinks Earl's ready for the starter spot, then we just need someone we can rotate in with him. So we need depth at that spot although someone to push Mitchell for the starting spot would be great.

ILB/OLB: This is where it gets tricky. At ILB, we've got Cushing and we've got depth but we don't have the other ILB. Unless we're sure Brooks Reed is going to slide over and take that starter ILB spot.

If Brooks Reed ISN'T sliding over, then we need a starter for that second ILB spot. And we need someone for our OLB rotation with Reed and Mercilus.

If Brooks Reed IS sliding over, then we need a starter for the OLB spot AND we need a second OLB for the rotation.

So those are the places where I think we definitely need more than depth. Right tackle is possibly an issue; depending on Newton's recovery, we may need a starter there.

Everywhere else, it's all about if we can upgrade or prepare for the future.

The only NT they have on the roster is .... Earl Mitchell.

DE - Watt , Ninja and Crick are the only healthy DE's on the roster.

Only three (3) OLB's on the roster.- Reed , Mercilus and Braman.

CB and Safety are also positions of concern depth wise.

I had heard that they planned to move Crick inside to NT/DT when they let Cody walk .... but that makes the DE depth that much thinner and Im not sold that Crick can handle playing inside.

They had 22 FA's hit the market and it has affected their depth up and down the roster.

I know this will probably change now that Hopkins in the NFL and i don't want this to change anyones perception of him but i thought i'de pass this along. I go to a college in South Carolina and its pretty well known that both him and Sammy Watkins both smoke a lot. Not only that but a couple of my buddies say that their friends at Clemson happen to get weed from Hopkins. Like i said, hopefully he puts this behind him now that he's in NFL because he has all the physical attributes to be a great receiver.

Last edited:
At one point, LSU's DBs just wave the white flag and start tackling him and pulling his jersey during his routes. LOL, almost every catch attempt he's got guys draped all over him.

The TD catch at the beginning of that clip was special. He'll need those skills to dig up Schaub's subterranean passes that everyone has to lay out for.

I was thinking the same thing, he did good catching those low passes :)

I know this will probably change now that Hopkins in the NFL and i don't want this to change anyones perception of him but i thought i'de pass this along. I go to a college in South Carolina and its pretty well known that both him and Sammy Watkins both smoke a lot. Not only that but a couple of my buddies say that their friends at Clemson happen to get weed from Hopkins. Like i said, hopefully he puts this behind him now that he's in NFL because he has all the physics attributes to be a great receiver.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these college players smoke pot. As long as he doesn't take it to Tyrann Mathieu levels (and I'm sure Andre's influence will make him cut back) he'll be fine.

Back