Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Your positives and negatives from the game?

OK, so I went back and I was able to watch the first half for the first time.

Chris Taylor had some problems. I think we can all agree on that. But some of the problems were him not making the right read, some of the problems were missed blocks, and some problems were him not hitting the hole quick enough. We left yards on the field in the rushing game. They were there.

I saw Brown totally miss hooking his man on one play and that guy was able to get to Taylor before he got started. However, if Taylor had been quicker to the hole, he would have had at least 5-6 yards.

On another play, Jacoby Jones totally missed his block on the CB and the CB was able to get in there and stop Taylor before he got started. If Jacoby makes that block, Taylor gets several yards.

On another play, Taylor has a choice of running straight or cutting back... he cut back right into a linebacker filling the hole. If he had kept following his blockers, he would have had 7-8 yards.

On at least two of those plays I've mentioned, I think Slaton would have been able to break them for some yardage (not that he WOULD have.)

So I don't think we're that far away.
I agree. There was a play early in the game where Taylor had a good running lane and he was just barely tripped up by one of their DTs (Marcus Thomas I think) and you could tell he was frustrated cause he knew he should have had 10-15 yds on that play. Another thing about this running scheme, you here them say one cut and go, What I think they mean is that if you can just make that one player miss then you can have good gains on the ground. I think our RBs struggled cutting and making that one guy miss, before exploding up the field.

The team also allowed too much penetration...

ZBS will struggle when penetration is applied...Hell..any running scheme will struggle with defenders getting penetration...

The team also allowed too much penetration...

ZBS will struggle when penetration is applied...Hell..any running scheme will struggle with defenders getting penetration...
Yeah, that's a concern. I don't know if our O-line will be able to get alot of push of the LOS, We're a little light inside, with Brisiel and Meyers both weighing under 300. I don't know if this is accurate or not but during the game it said Meyers weighed around 283.

Positives = Duane Brown looked like he belonged. Huge positive. Anderson looked really good and Sage had a few nice play action moves. Mario looked dominant at times and from different spots on the line.

Negatives = Smith still relying on 4-man pass rush and soft coverages entirely too much. Green getting a noncontact injury on the first play of game. Running attack was ineffective and they continued to struggle in the red zone.

Positives:

1) Duane Brown looked pretty good in his first NFL action. This is a good sign considering that our team has never really had a solid LT.

2) Another solid day of passing the ball on all depth levels. There were a couple of bad passes here and there, but overall a good day through the air.

3) David Anderson is now a name well known to the Texans fans. With a little work, he could easily be a great slot receiver.

4) Mario Williams. Enough said.

5) We won! :fans:

Negatives:

1) There was nothing impressive about our running game. There were some flashes from Slaton and Walker, but on the whole the running game was weak. This could partially be attributed to poor blocking, but it's quite clear that we do not have a premier back on the roster as of now.

2) The bloody screen pass! Have we done anything this off season to address this gaping hole in our defense? We were destroyed by the screen all of last season and all of this game. Richard Smith really needs to take note of this.

3) The secondary was sub-par. Bennett seemed to be struggling and no one really stepped up to deliver an impressive performance. Nick Ferguson had a pretty good INT, but that's about the bulk of it.

4) Jacoby Jones needs to pull it together. He's a good talent, but he is inconsistent and is often blowing plays.

Positives = Duane Brown looked like he belonged. Huge positive. Anderson looked really good and Sage had a few nice play action moves. Mario looked dominant at times and from different spots on the line.

Negatives = Smith still relying on 4-man pass rush and soft coverages entirely too much. Green getting a noncontact injury on the first play of game. Running attack was ineffective and they continued to struggle in the red zone.

from what i saw (not re-watched, just the once over on the bootlegged stream) we did blitz some notably on ferguson's int the safety blitzed iirc, and a bit of blitzing is all you should do in a pre-season game.. keep the blitzes for the regular season

dont be Preseason heroes and let every team have you figured out before the season starts

They sent a blitz on one play and got burned badly too (play where Barber was beat). This team just doesn't have great blitzers. Greenwood is a perfect example. They send him but he never gets there, so whats the point...

Teams do nothing but vanilla offense and defense so they don't show teams anything before the season starts

Teams do nothing but vanilla offense and defense so they don't show teams anything before the season starts

Sure, the preseason won't show how Brown will react to twists, stunts, zone blitzes, etc... what Saturday showed is that he is already competant to block a good DE one on one. That is something good that can be taken from Saturday.

Yeah, that's a concern. I don't know if our O-line will be able to get alot of push of the LOS, We're a little light inside, with Brisiel and Meyers both weighing under 300. I don't know if this is accurate or not but during the game it said Meyers weighed around 283.

The ZBS is not meant to be dependent on size and strength and "push".............it is dependent on well-choreographed fluid movement that essentially "deflects" the D's point of attack. If the choreography is not executed properly, the smaller OL is toast. An elephant can attack another elephant head on, but will have little luck against trying to engage a horse.:tiphat:

i keep hearing this by people as some excuse as why the coaching is so bad. I heard it about Carr, I have heard it about our defenses in the past, and at some point Richard Smith needs to grow a pair and blitz...if we can't blitz, get some players that can. Stop making excuses and start producing....this whole Richard Smith laundry list of excuses gets really freaking old.

for my money, the guy just sucks. I hope he proves me wrong but it seemed like same ole Richard Smith to me.

dude better update his freaking resume because its getting old

i keep hearing this by people as some excuse as why the coaching is so bad. I heard it about Carr, I have heard it about our defenses in the past, and at some point Richard Smith needs to grow a pair and blitz...if we can't blitz, get some players that can. Stop making excuses and start producing....this whole Richard Smith laundry list of excuses gets really freaking old.

for my money, the guy just sucks. I hope he proves me wrong but it seemed like same ole Richard Smith to me.

dude better update his freaking resume because its getting old

I have concerns about Richard Smith too. However, I'm not going to criticize him for not blitzing in the first preseason game of the year. That's crazy!

You know, the Colts have won 2 preseason games in the past 3 years. They stay vanilla and don't look good in preseason either

I was actually dissappointed in Chris Myers. I just rewatched the first couple drives in slow motion watching the offensive line play. Our RB's were consistently getting hit in the backfield.

One play our C/G got did a good job letting the DT's get by on a swing pass. Then it was either 55 or 65 (Myers/Brisiel) instead of blocking LB's ahead of the RB, he waited... turned around... and waited for the DT to get up and chase after the RB. I guarantee you whoever it was got chewed out today when they were watching film.

Another was miscommunication between Pitts and Myers. Can't tell who's fault it was but the DT went right by Pitts (could have been expecting help?) and got to taylor in the backfield.

I'm watching the Packers game so I'll finish watching our game again later. But all in all our run blocking was awful... awful. No.. it was AWFUL. (as if nobody has mentioned this before).

I feel like we go absolutely no look at our RB's this game as to how well they may do. The only thing we learned was the Green needs to go see his gynecologist.

Heh those play action moves sage made were so good they faked out the camera crews . No it was not that the defense could not stop the passes to the backs but that they could not adjust to anything .

I was actually dissappointed in Chris Myers. I just rewatched the first couple drives in slow motion watching the offensive line play. Our RB's were consistently getting hit in the backfield.

One play our C/G got did a good job letting the DT's get by on a swing pass. Then it was either 55 or 65 (Myers/Brisiel) instead of blocking LB's ahead of the RB, he waited... turned around... and waited for the DT to get up and chase after the RB. I guarantee you whoever it was got chewed out today when they were watching film.

Another was miscommunication between Pitts and Myers. Can't tell who's fault it was but the DT went right by Pitts (could have been expecting help?) and got to taylor in the backfield.

I'm watching the Packers game so I'll finish watching our game again later. But all in all our run blocking was awful... awful. No.. it was AWFUL. (as if nobody has mentioned this before).

I feel like we go absolutely no look at our RB's this game as to how well they may do. The only thing we learned was the Green needs to go see his gynecologist.

I do believe it was Brown that missed this block. It was a zone right play where the C and G were stretching to the right and the guy shot the gap right in front of Brown.

As a fan, it's hard to point blame at an individual without knowing the play and the pre-snap calls. Let's just say the Oline needs to tighten up a bit as group.

The RB's didn't help much either. Heck, the entire game was kinda ugly. I'm going to chalk this one up as a typical 1st pre-season game.

:fans:

I do believe it was Brown that missed this block. It was a zone right play where the C and G were stretching to the right and the guy shot the gap right in front of Brown.

As a fan, it's hard to point blame at an individual without knowing the play and the pre-snap calls. Let's just say the Oline needs to tighten up a bit as group.

The RB's didn't help much either. Heck, the entire game was kinda ugly. I'm going to chalk this one up as a typical 1st pre-season game.

The one I was thinking of the DT went between Pitts and Myers. #55 went straight towards a LB and #69 slightly pushed the DT to where Myers was and coincidentally right into the RB. I think I remember the play you're referring to with the missed assignment by Brown. But as you said, "let's just say the OL needs to tighten up a bit as a group." There were so many instances like this.

Without knowing what the actual play is supposed to be, your so correct that too often fans blame the wrong person.

The more I watched closely the uglier the game was. I bet all the backups (save Anderson) and most of the starters got their butts chewed. I really do hope this was just because it was the 1st preseason game and as they play the next few they get a lot more polished. If not, it will be a long season.

I haven't watched that play yet but on the radio didn't they say it wasn't a blindside hit? The blindside would be his backside.

I think "oblivious" is a bit harsh. What I saw....was a LB make two steps to the line of scrimmage, faking a blitz move...Taylor bit. Taylor's mistake was not figuring out quick enough that something was amiss when the LB drop back off. By the time he figured it out, Sage was planted liked grannies squash. A salty old pro may have had a chance. Taylor was a deer caught in the head lights.
I don't even know if he had the time to offer Sage a complimentary "look out" .

And finally, Taylor is the goat here no doubt....but it is Sage's responsibility to check the action on the on the front side to see if anyone is coming. et al, Taylor should of recognized the corner fire and executed the block. But Sage made a mistake also not checking the front side.

I don't know if Vegas would offer up a line on it, but if they did and I was a gambling man, your gonna see our backs have plenty of opportunities now to recognize the corner fire. Once something like that gets on film, D co-ordinators get a boner for it.

Yeah, like I had said, IF Taylor had been faster to the hole, the entire point is moot.

But it looked to me like Brown was supposed to hook that guy. Part of the ZBS having smaller, quicker guys is for them to be able to quickly get into positions like that.

But like you said, just being a fan watching on the TV, it's hard to really know.

Got a chance to watch my recording of the Denver game (I also watched the live telecast Saturday), and for those of you who said all the positive things about Okam's performance in the game - you guys defintely nailed it ! He played with a lot of hustle and intensity and showed excellent quickness, especially for such a big man. He's talented and should help us.
Also watched Stanton more closely and though he's not a hard runner, he was a little more scrappy than what I thought during the first look see. And he is quick. So getting him along with Duane in that first round trade is looking better all of the time IMO.

Got a chance to watch my recording of the Denver game (I also watched the live telecast Saturday), and for those of you who said all the positive things about Okam's performance in the game - you guys defintely nailed it ! He played with a lot of hustle and intensity and showed excellent quickness, especially for such a big man. He's talented and should help us.
Also watched Stanton more closely and though he's not a hard runner, he was a little more scrappy than what I thought during the first look see. And he is quick. So getting him along with Duane in that first round trade is looking better all of the time IMO.

Dont forget we also got Dominique Barber who looks like he'll send Glen Earl his walking papers.

Back