Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wish Texans Fans were more like Eagles fans

TexansFight

Veteran
I went to college up in Philly. Would not want to live there again. I never liked any of their teams while up there. However, I do respect Philly Phan and the passion that they bring to the table. I would listen to 610 WIP and their fans are very tough but passionate. They want a winner. The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.

Also, Philly has a great home field advantage. Leather lunged fans that provide an intimidating place to play. I don't condone the meatheads that used to beat up opposing fans up in the 700 Level of the Vet. They seem to have that crap tamed down in the Linc while still maintaining a fervent following.

I just wish Reliant was a more intimidating place for opposing teams. Houston can have a great home field advantage.

TexansFight said:
The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.

There have been threads on this very MB criticizing some of the local media for being too harsh on the Texans...:tease:

TexansFight said:
I just wish Reliant was a more intimidating place for opposing teams. Houston can have a great home field advantage.

I don't know about intimidating, but Peyton himself said that he doesn't like playing in Reliant because of the rowdy atmosphere....:wild:

TexansFight said:
I went to college up in Philly. Would not want to live there again. I never liked any of their teams while up there. However, I do respect Philly Phan and the passion that they bring to the table. I would listen to 610 WIP and their fans are very tough but passionate. They want a winner. The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.

Also, Philly has a great home field advantage. Leather lunged fans that provide an intimidating place to play. I don't condone the meatheads that used to beat up opposing fans up in the 700 Level of the Vet. They seem to have that crap tamed down in the Linc while still maintaining a fervent following.

Sounds more like the visiting fans are intimidated...:D

Soccer fans come to mind when I hear that.

:coffee:

TexansFight said:

Nah, I'm sorry, I don't want to be a fan like you. You bring this team down.

TexansFight said:

Yeah, the sports action that I have been to while living here in Houston -- the fans are laid back and they just like the cheering rituals with the music and the clapping. They do not really get into like most NFL team's fans. Hopefully that will change with time. There are some rowdy fans so it's not that bad. It's not like San Fran or anything. LOL!

xtruroyaltyx said:
There have been threads on this very MB criticizing some of the local media for being too harsh on the Texans...:tease:

I don't know about intimidating, but Peyton himself said that he doesn't like playing in Reliant because of the rowdy atmosphere....:wild:

Definetly can't tell from the way he plays when he's here.:)

Yeah, we should be like eagles fans so we can cheer when someone has a career ending injury and also boo santa.:whip:

Wish Texans Fans were more like Eagles fans

yeah, we need more batteries and bags of pee to be thrown at games. :um: riiiiight

Passion comes with winning games. It's a simple formula.

TexansFight said:

I don't see why it is incompatible to be completely passionate for your team but not a thug.

Some of the best home field advantages in the league are at places that are loud but the fans have some of the friendliest tailgates you can find.

Last year had very little to cheer about, but in 2004, there were times where at the field level I could not hear myself yell because it was so loud.

Speaking of the 700 level, here is something I wrote for the blogger for The700Level.com who is also the Eagles Fanhouse blogger. He wrote something for the Chronicle blog as soon as the Chronic people get around to publishing it. (They have been slooooooow lately in publishing my stuff. Sorry about that).

Double Barrel said:
yeah, we need more batteries and bags of pee to be thrown at games. :um: riiiiight

Passion comes with winning games. It's a simple formula.

That was at the Vet and the 700 Club (love those guys). It was 3 or 4 people who threw batteries. I saw a Texans fan spit on a Chiefs fan and I do not go around saying all Texans fans spit at people. Geeesh! LOL!

F-minus67 said:
Yeah, we should be like eagles fans so we can cheer when someone has a career ending injury and also boo santa.:whip:

Can't you guys come up with something a little more present? A little more fresh? The Santa booing happened in the 60s for pete's sake. The guy was a dirty drunk bum.

As for Irvin, yes... that was sad that a couple thousand fans cheered. You take your most hated enemy and see him go down, still should not cheer it. I know I wouldn't.

Texans_Chick said:
I don't see why it is incompatible to be completely passionate for your team but not a thug.

Some of the best home field advantages in the league are at places that are loud but the fans have some of the friendliest tailgates you can find.

Last year had very little to cheer about, but in 2004, there were times where at the field level I could not hear myself yell because it was so loud.

Speaking of the 700 level, here is something I wrote for the blogger for The700Level.com who is also the Eagles Fanhouse blogger. He wrote something for the Chronicle blog as soon as the Chronic people get around to publishing it. (They have been slooooooow lately in publishing my stuff. Sorry about that).

Read that write up. Very nice. Yes, Reliant can be ver, very loud. Cannot wait until Sunday... tailgate and Eagles football. :shades:

TexansFight said:

You have to WIN. People get passionate and loud for their WINNING team.

For example. I have been to a Pittsburgh Steelers games and to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in the same week a few years ago. The Pirate fans seemed pathetic, while the Steelers fans were fanatical. Basically the same people, infact half the people at the Pirates game had on Steeler jerseys.

LBC_Justin said:

For example. I have been to a Pittsburgh Steelers games and to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in the same week a few years ago. The Pirate fans seemed pathetic, while the Steelers fans were fanatical. Basically the same people, infact half the people at the Pirates game had on Steeler jerseys.

and the Eagles were a winning team all of these decades? I think not. PA is a football state and it is clear to see that. It is not a baseball state whatsoever.

flylikeaneagle said:
Can't you guys come up with something a little more present? A little more fresh? The Santa booing happened in the 60s for pete's sake. The guy was a dirty drunk bum.

As for Irvin, yes... that was sad that a couple thousand fans cheered. You take your most hated enemy and see him go down, still should not cheer it. I know I wouldn't.

Santa was in 1968. And he was a filthy drunken bum, correct.

The only reason people were cheering about the Irvin thing, is because it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him or something. It was an ordinary play, and he didnt get up.

PhillyFan said:
The only reason people were cheering about the Irvin thing, is because it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him or something. It was an ordinary play, and he didnt get up.

BS--they were still cheering as he got braced up and carted off the field.

LBC_Justin said:

The Pirates and the Steelers should not be in the same league comparatively speaking. When was the last time the fans have had something to cheer about at a Pirates game? Versus the Steelers having so much success over the years.:twocents:

edit: Sorry, I just saw the first sentence of your post. My bad

infantrycak said:
BS--they were still cheering as he got braced up and carted off the field.

If you have video on that, I would be more than happy to see it.

I was at the game, and noone anywhere near me was cheering.

A lot of open mouths and gasping, but no cheering.

PhillyFan said:

So I guess what I saw on TV along with the players and coaches was all wrong: :ok:

JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

PHILADELPHIA – As Michael Irvin lay crumpled and motionless on the Veterans Stadium turf Sunday afternoon, many of the Eagles' fans began cheering.

The longer Irvin remained on the ground during the Cowboys' 13-10 loss, the more the crowd roared. The cheers reached an apex, when a stretcher was brought onto the field for Irvin.

"It disgusted me to death," Emmitt Smith said. "It's just a game. That's what it's called - a game. Life. Being paralyzed. Death. Anything outside of the game is reality. No matter how you look at it, sports is sports but a human being is playing the sport.

"I understand people want to cheer for their team and they want their team to win, but when you see an individual laying down there motionless, there's no need to cheer. There's nothing joyful about watching a person get hurt."

The injury occurred when Irvin caught an eight-yard slant in the first quarter. He tried to break a tackle and dipped his head when he saw safety Tim Hauck about to hit him.

The top of his head slammed into the turf. The injury was diagnosed as a swelling in his spinal cord.

Irvin, who will not play next week against the New York Giants, spent Sunday night at the Thomas Jefferson University Spinal Trauma Center.

Philadelphia has a reputation for having some of the most boisterous and raucous fans in the NFL. They also have a reputation for having fans who are hard to control.

A few years ago, the city actually put a court in the stadium so people who misbehaved during the game could be quickly sentenced.

The fans' behavior on Sunday left players and coaches on both teams seething.

"To me there's no excuse for that," coach Chan Gailey said. "I'm disappointed it happened. That's the nicest term I can use. I better not say anything else."

Philadelphia receiver Charles Johnson, who scored the winning touchdown, said the crowd's reaction embarrassed him.

"The most disgusting thing was when the stretcher came out, and they started cheering again," Johnson said.
"The fans usually end up hating the good athletes, but he's a human being. He has a family and he's getting wheeled off on a stretcher, it puts everything in perspective."

For a while, Smith said, an incident like that can inspire a team because they feed off the anger created by the crowd's reaction. But, he said, it quickly wears off.

"You realize that you're on the football field minus one of your teammates," he said, "but eventually you have to get over it."

Link

Y'all really need to stop trying to act as if the whole episode was not a sorry piece of history.

I think I understand what TexansFight is saying.

Really passionate fans aren't afraid to ride their team. They don't just clap like trained seals everytime the front office makes a move, as if they're always right. Philly fans complain about their team so much, because that's how much they care about winning. If the Eagles do something wrong, the fans are going to let them know about it.

Now, that doesn't mean Philly fans are all good. If anything, they're like the polar opposite extreme. Some Texans fans are extremely blindly optimistic to a fault, and some Philly fans are negative to a fault.

I would like to be somewhere in the middle. Where I'm not afraid to challenge the decisions of the Texans, because I care about where the team is going, yet I'm not so negative that I become a jackass.

I do not think that if you boo a decision, or if you boo a terrible performance, that it makes you a bad fan.

I think that while the Texans are better this year than last year, there are still a lot of problems with the team. And I think it's naive to assume that we don't still have a lot of holes (and I mean beyond just the QB), and to assume that all or even half of the players that we drafted will make it in the NFL. We don't know that yet.

TexansFight said:

Being lewd, crude and obnoxious is not a qualifier for being a great fan. When you need to keep a pokey at the location it says all I need to know about the mental state that Philly fan is in. What they are is more plugged into the Eastern media that drives the sports channels. Regurgitating baseless info only shows a good rote memory and not necessarily accurate observations.

flylikeaneagle said:
That was at the Vet and the 700 Club (love those guys). It was 3 or 4 people who threw batteries. I saw a Texans fan spit on a Chiefs fan and I do not go around saying all Texans fans spit at people. Geeesh! LOL!

When Reliant gets a jail and working court system built beneath it, call me.

C'mon, man, Philly fans have been well known as some of the most rowdy, passionate, obnoxious, and downright hostile fans in the NFL. Your people are close to being European soccer fans. Embrace your image. It is what it is, your entire history speaks volumes over your attempted spin in this thread. :shades:

You guys are a little like us in several ways;

1. You have stuck with your team thru the bad, very eagle like, believe me we've had plenty bad, and one thing about philly fans is they support the team even when the team isn't good. We may boo and complain but we show up. In fact I beleive you will see a lot of green in your stands on Sunday, a 6-10 season doesn't chase us away, it makes us hungrier.

2. Your kind of the step child team of Texas much like Philly is considered a second tier city to New York, and with the Steelers being across the state with thier 5 lombardis. It is much like the Cowboys acouple hundred miles up I45 with thiers So you are constantly clammoring for respect, We understand.

3. Your City is the 4th Largest City in the US, Philly was for decades the 4th largest city until replaced by Houston, I think demographically and socio-economically we are very similar as afan base. Although any City that doesn't have a commuter train system doesn't really seem llike a "City" to me.

4. We share a distaste for all things Cowboy

Where we differ a little;
1. Is that we boo a lot when people don't do thier job. Santa clause didn't do his job, he was a bad Santa from all accounts. Athletes will tell you they would like to have fans like philly fans. I've heard Darren Woodson say that he wished Dallas fans had our passion. Ask former Philly athletes like Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Larry Bowa, or Ron Jaworski and they will tell you there is no place like home when you play in Philly.

2. Eagle fans are traditionally bred not aquired, although all are welcome whereas all texans fans are new and without tradition yet. Not a slight just a fact. We have generational loyal fan hood.

As far as fan violence it's just more hyped by the media than Chicago or New York. When was the last time a fan came out onto the feild to fight a player in Philly like Detroit or Chicago. I'm not saying it's the friendliest place to be a visitor it's definitely not but it's not any different than Chicago. I've been to Comiski park, Wrigley Feild, the United Center, & Soldier field many times and I've seen the same things and more there. Any tough city is going to be that way. There's a swagger to the fans it's just life and it's an identity. It's the way you want your players to be on the field of battle (take away the booze).

You can point out the isolated examples of battery throwing and booing for injured players but that's not unique to Philly. Those were mistakes & bad judgements and they don't represent every Eagle Fan. People have a tendency to confuse our passion with those random occurences.

PhillyFan said:

I have the video for it. There was only maybe a couple thousand people cheering. It was classless no matter how much they hate the guy and he was a bad guy.

Here is the Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urpFerqxmD0

even the Eagles players were telling the fans to pipe down. They should have stopped when the stretcher came out.

EF55 said:

1. You have stuck with your team thru the bad, very eagle like, believe me we've had plenty bad, and one thing about philly fans is they support the team even when the team isn't good. We may boo and complain but we show up. In fact I beleive you will see a lot of green in your stands on Sunday, a 6-10 season doesn't chase us away, it makes us hungrier.

2. Your kind of the step child team of Texas much like Philly is considered a second tier city to New York, and with the Steelers being across the state with thier 5 lombardis. It is much like the Cowboys acouple hundred miles up I45 with thiers So you are constantly clammoring for respect, We understand.

3. Your City is the 4th Largest City in the US, Philly was for decades the 4th largest city until replaced by Houston, I think demographically and socio-economically we are very similar as afan base. Although any City that doesn't have a commuter train system doesn't really seem llike a "City" to me.

1. Is that we boo a lot when people don't do thier job. Santa clause didn't do his job, he was a bad Santa from all accounts. Athletes will tell you they would like to have fans like philly fans. I've heard Darren Woodson say that he wished Dallas fans had our passion. Ask former Philly athletes like Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Larry Bowa, or Ron Jaworski and they will tell you there is no place like home when you play in Philly.

2. Eagle fans are traditionally bred not aquired, although all are welcome whereas all texans fans are new and without tradition yet. Not a slight just a fact. We have generational loyal fan hood.

As far as fan violence it's just more hyped by the media than Chicago or New York. When was the last time a fan came out onto the feild to fight a player in Philly like Detroit or Chicago. I'm not saying it's the friendliest place to be a visitor it's definitely not but it's not any different than Chicago. I've been to Comiski park, Wrigley Feild, the United Center, & Soldier field many times and I've seen the same things and more there. Any tough city is going to be that way. There's a swagger to the fans it's just life and it's an identity. It's the way you want your players to be on the field of battle (take away the booze).

You can point out the isolated examples of battery throwing and booing for injured players but that's not unique to Philly. Those were mistakes & bad judgements and they don't represent every Eagle Fan. People have a tendency to confuse our passion with those random occurences.

Good post and obviously I concur.

Double Barrel said:
When Reliant gets a jail and working court system built beneath it, call me.

C'mon, man, Philly fans have been well known as some of the most rowdy, passionate, obnoxious, and downright hostile fans in the NFL. Your people are close to being European soccer fans. Embrace your image. It is what it is, your entire history speaks volumes over your attempted spin in this thread. :shades:

Almost every stadium in the country has a judge at the game and a jail cell. Yes, we are passionate, rowdy, and downright hostile. :shades: And I am proud of that. Kind of saddens my that the 700 club is gone and those fans cannot afford to go to the games at the Linc but we are still a rowdy bunch.

EF55 said:

Actually, we had a fan/player fight last Flyers season :p

Think it was barnaby in the box, and a fan started razzing him. Barnaby squirted water all over him and his wife, and the guy ended up falling into the box and getting pummeled.

However, fans in other citys are just as bad or worse. heck...in Cleveland, they throw bottles at the refs...but all is forgotten in a month.

You never hear anything about them...its always Philly this, Philly that.

A lot of people rag on us, and have never even been here. We just get hyped up by the media.

Ive been an Eagles fan since I was 5. And Ive been to about 100 or so games in my life. But I have only seen a handful of fights in those games, about 80% of which were in the infamous 700 level.

You want us all to be more like eagles fans? that's easy... get hemmorhoids and throw empty beer cans at your children.

PhillyFan said:
However, fans in other citys are just as bad or worse. heck...in Cleveland, they throw bottles at the refs...but all is forgotten in a month.

Seen that happen in Pittsburgh too. I used to go a lot of the games in 1997. I seen a Browns fan get the crap beat out of him because he started to cheer for his team although a Steelers fan told him to sit down and be quiet. Also saw a bunch of guys throwing ice cubes at players.

EF55 said:

Nice post, man, and interesting comparisons. You're right, Philly and Houston do have a lot more in common that I've realized. Of course, being a division rival of the Cowboys, I always root for the Eagle, Giants, or Redskins when they are not playing the Texans. Anything to get over on Dallass.

Houston does have it's share of a-hole fans, too. Drunk moron pooring beer on David Carr's wife at a game immediately comes to mind. There is no excuse for that behavior. Hopefully dufus is banned from Reliant for life.

flylikeaneagle said:
[Houston fans] do not really get into like most NFL team's fans.

Re:"most"

How many NFL cities have you lived in, or even opponent's stadiums, to draw that conclusion? (and what was the timing, i.e., was the team good or bad at the time)

I know exactly where this will lead since we've discussed it a billion times, but I was curious about your rationale for that statement.

EF55 said:
Houston is far larger than Philly as far as wide open space goes...we aren't piled on top of each other here and don't lack for square mileage. A commuter train set up to service the wide expanse of Houston would be monstrous as we are spread out much more than you are....I doubt it would work since we travel greater distances and we are not as close together as you guys are in our normal every day life.

aj. said:
Re:"most"

How many NFL cities have you lived in, or even opponent's stadiums, to draw that conclusion? (and what was the timing, i.e., was the team good or bad at the time)

I know exactly where this will lead since we've discussed it a billion times, but I was curious about your rationale for that statement.

I have been in a lot of AWAY team stadiums. I had season tickets in 1997 for the Steelers although I was a Philly fan.... it was a gift. I lived in South Carolina for 5 years and went to some Carolina games. I have been to Cleveland for a Steeers-Cleveland game. I have been to Dallas' Texas Stadium for a MNF game. I have been to Miami for a Dolphins-Steelers game.

Does not matter if the team is doing bad or not... you get off that butt and go to a game if you are a football fan. Philly has had some really bad years and we still filled the seats.

flylikeaneagle said:
Does not matter if the team is doing bad or not... you get off that butt and go to a game if you are a football fan. Philly has had some really bad years and we still filled the seats.

Very true, man. That's what passion and being a fanatic is all about. :redtowel:

For years, my sister lived in far northwest Harris county and I lived in far southeast. She was 55 miles from my house, had a different area code, and it was a long distance call to call her on a landline -- and both of our addresses were Houston. Up there, you can fit three or four states in that space, right?

Vinny said:
Houston is far larger than Philly as far as wide open space goes...we aren't piled on top of each other here and don't lack for square mileage. A commuter train set up to service the wide expanse of Houston would be monstrous as we are spread out much more than you are....I doubt it would work since we travel greater distances and we are not as close together as you guys are in our normal every day life.

Man, do some research before you say something like that. LOL! It's all good though since you have probably never lived in the Philly Tri-State area but here ya go:

http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html

Houston is working on a big rail system. Just going to take some time. Houston is a lot more widespread and that hurts the city but they can do it.

flylikeaneagle said:
Man, do some research before you say something like that. LOL! It's all good though since you have probably never lived in the Philly Tri-State area but here ya go:

http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html

Houston is working on a big rail system. Just going to take some time. Houston is a lot more widespread and that hurts the city but they can do it.
Have you rode the metro rail? I have.... Its always empty. Hop on the train after a game...downtown is empty. So much for improving buisness on main. Any train service here will not service the entire city...it's just more wasted money.

I don't know why you give me a path to the Philly train...I said what works for Philly won't translate here.

Vinny said:
Have you rode the metro rail? I have.... Its always empty. Hop on the train after a game...downtown is empty. So much for improving buisness on main. Any train service here will not service the entire city...it's just more wasted money.

Yeah, ride it quite a bit. It just does not go to many places yet so it will have it's up and downs with passenger totals. If the train service went from IAH to HOU airports -- then from downtown to Katy. Those trains would be packed. Sort of like St. Louis' rail system. They have it together there.

flylikeaneagle said:
Yeah, ride it quite a bit. It just does not go to many places yet so it will have it's up and downs with passenger totals. If the train service went from IAH to HOU airports -- then from downtown to Katy. Those trains would be packed. Sort of like St. Louis' rail system. They have it together there.
It takes me an hour to get to IAH from Clear lake on the freeway without traffic. This would be a massive huge money pit to lay rail all over Houston connecting to IAH....That's my entire point. What works for Philly won't work for Houston. I've lived all over the USA...I've seen all the big cities...and Houston is just not built like most big cities. We are much more spread out. When you have closer quarters this works....That little bit of metro down town has been a disaster. JMO

flylikeaneagle said:
I have been in a lot of AWAY team stadiums. I had season tickets in 1997 for the Steelers although I was a Philly fan.... it was a gift. I lived in South Carolina for 5 years and went to some Carolina games. I have been to Cleveland for a Steeers-Cleveland game. I have been to Dallas' Texas Stadium for a MNF game. I have been to Miami for a Dolphins-Steelers game.

Reverse the fortunes of success in Dallas and Miami and their fans are no different than what we have in Houston, Atlanta, and other large southern/southwestern city with a high number of transplants from the north and northeast.

It's easy to have a great fan base when you win.

Give a team four or five years of 4-12 and even the "great" fans of the north and northeast will stay away from the stadium. I'm confident that attendance stats would prove that out (if they still counted no-shows).

All I know is when I go to Houston and I am trying to get a section to stand up and get loud, everybody looks like I am crazy for thinking such a thing.

aj. said:
Reverse the fortunes of success in Dallas and Miami and their fans are no different than what we have in Houston, Atlanta, and other large southern/southwestern city with a high number of transplants from the north and northeast.

It's easy to have a great fan base when you win.

Give a team four or five years of 4-12 and even the "great" fans of the north and northeast will stay away from the stadium. I'm confident that attendance stats would prove that out (if they still counted no-shows).

You must be a lot younger than I because the Eagles stunk it up for a long while and so has the Redskins and others. They still packed it in. I guess it is because they are football crazy up there. I think one problem is that Houston is still a pretty young city and people are moving all the time from out of the area.

El Tejano said:
All I know is when I go to Houston and I am trying to get a section to stand up and get loud, everybody looks like I am crazy for thinking such a thing.

Heck with them people. Stand up, yell, and cheer for your team like a nutcase. You sir are a true fan. I salute you!

Wait until they see us Philly fans in there. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

which way do you go? LMAO! Takes me 20 minutes to get downtown from IAH. I live in Kingwood and it takes me about 40 minutes to get to Pearland.

Vinny said:
We are much more spread out. When you have closer quarters this works....That little bit of metro down town has been a disaster. JMO

It also helps when the environment isn't such that if you have to get a mere 4 or 5 blocks off the route in business attire you aren't completely sweated thru most of the year.

Having said that, I understand there is a proposal to lay a 2nd set of tracks down on some of the existing railbeds and run commuter trains. As a commuter alternative (rather than an lifestyle no car alternative as in some cities) to certain areas of town it might work.

flylikeaneagle said:
I think one problem is that Houston is still a pretty young city and people are moving all the time from out of the area.
bud_adams_250X260.jpg

I take great pleasure in beating the crap out of opposing, smack talking fans. They deserve it. I continually practice the sleeper choke hold to randomly render the enemy unconscious! :stirpot:

infantrycak said:
Having said that, I understand there is a proposal to lay a 2nd set of tracks down on some of the existing railbeds and run commuter trains.

Cool, then they can pick off people walking and cars at twice the rate they have been. I wonder if folks will ever figure out that Houston has rail and that they need to actually look for trains coming.:yikes:

Back