Wish Texans Fans were more like Eagles fans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFight, Sep 7, 2006.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

I went to college up in Philly. Would not want to live there again. I never liked any of their teams while up there. However, I do respect Philly Phan and the passion that they bring to the table. I would listen to 610 WIP and their fans are very tough but passionate. They want a winner. The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.

Also, Philly has a great home field advantage. Leather lunged fans that provide an intimidating place to play. I don't condone the meatheads that used to beat up opposing fans up in the 700 Level of the Vet. They seem to have that crap tamed down in the Linc while still maintaining a fervent following.

I just wish Reliant was a more intimidating place for opposing teams. Houston can have a great home field advantage.

2. real

real Guest

There have been threads on this very MB criticizing some of the local media for being too harsh on the Texans...:tease:

I don't know about intimidating, but Peyton himself said that he doesn't like playing in Reliant because of the rowdy atmosphere....:wild:

3. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Sounds more like the visiting fans are intimidated...:D

Soccer fans come to mind when I hear that.

:coffee:

4. Nah, I'm sorry, I don't want to be a fan like you. You bring this team down.

5. flylikeaneagle

flylikeaneagle Veteran

Yeah, the sports action that I have been to while living here in Houston -- the fans are laid back and they just like the cheering rituals with the music and the clapping. They do not really get into like most NFL team's fans. Hopefully that will change with time. There are some rowdy fans so it's not that bad. It's not like San Fran or anything. LOL!

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Definetly can't tell from the way he plays when he's here.:)

7. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Yeah, we should be like eagles fans so we can cheer when someone has a career ending injury and also boo santa.:whip:

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yeah, we need more batteries and bags of pee to be thrown at games. :um: riiiiight

Passion comes with winning games. It's a simple formula.

9. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I don't see why it is incompatible to be completely passionate for your team but not a thug.

Some of the best home field advantages in the league are at places that are loud but the fans have some of the friendliest tailgates you can find.

Last year had very little to cheer about, but in 2004, there were times where at the field level I could not hear myself yell because it was so loud.

Speaking of the 700 level, here is something I wrote for the blogger for The700Level.com who is also the Eagles Fanhouse blogger. He wrote something for the Chronicle blog as soon as the Chronic people get around to publishing it. (They have been slooooooow lately in publishing my stuff. Sorry about that).

RiotCommander likes this.
  10. flylikeaneagle

flylikeaneagle Veteran

That was at the Vet and the 700 Club (love those guys). It was 3 or 4 people who threw batteries. I saw a Texans fan spit on a Chiefs fan and I do not go around saying all Texans fans spit at people. Geeesh! LOL!

11. flylikeaneagle

flylikeaneagle Veteran

Can't you guys come up with something a little more present? A little more fresh? The Santa booing happened in the 60s for pete's sake. The guy was a dirty drunk bum.

As for Irvin, yes... that was sad that a couple thousand fans cheered. You take your most hated enemy and see him go down, still should not cheer it. I know I wouldn't.

12. flylikeaneagle

flylikeaneagle Veteran

Read that write up. Very nice. Yes, Reliant can be ver, very loud. Cannot wait until Sunday... tailgate and Eagles football. :shades:

13. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

You have to WIN. People get passionate and loud for their WINNING team.

For example. I have been to a Pittsburgh Steelers games and to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in the same week a few years ago. The Pirate fans seemed pathetic, while the Steelers fans were fanatical. Basically the same people, infact half the people at the Pirates game had on Steeler jerseys.

14. flylikeaneagle

flylikeaneagle Veteran

and the Eagles were a winning team all of these decades? I think not. PA is a football state and it is clear to see that. It is not a baseball state whatsoever.

15. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Veteran

Santa was in 1968. And he was a filthy drunken bum, correct.

The only reason people were cheering about the Irvin thing, is because it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him or something. It was an ordinary play, and he didnt get up.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

BS--they were still cheering as he got braced up and carted off the field.

Blake likes this.
  17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

The Pirates and the Steelers should not be in the same league comparatively speaking. When was the last time the fans have had something to cheer about at a Pirates game? Versus the Steelers having so much success over the years.:twocents:

edit: Sorry, I just saw the first sentence of your post. My bad

18. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Veteran

If you have video on that, I would be more than happy to see it.

I was at the game, and noone anywhere near me was cheering.

A lot of open mouths and gasping, but no cheering.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

So I guess what I saw on TV along with the players and coaches was all wrong: :ok:

Link

Y'all really need to stop trying to act as if the whole episode was not a sorry piece of history.

20. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

I think I understand what TexansFight is saying.

Really passionate fans aren't afraid to ride their team. They don't just clap like trained seals everytime the front office makes a move, as if they're always right. Philly fans complain about their team so much, because that's how much they care about winning. If the Eagles do something wrong, the fans are going to let them know about it.

Now, that doesn't mean Philly fans are all good. If anything, they're like the polar opposite extreme. Some Texans fans are extremely blindly optimistic to a fault, and some Philly fans are negative to a fault.

I would like to be somewhere in the middle. Where I'm not afraid to challenge the decisions of the Texans, because I care about where the team is going, yet I'm not so negative that I become a jackass.

I do not think that if you boo a decision, or if you boo a terrible performance, that it makes you a bad fan.

I think that while the Texans are better this year than last year, there are still a lot of problems with the team. And I think it's naive to assume that we don't still have a lot of holes (and I mean beyond just the QB), and to assume that all or even half of the players that we drafted will make it in the NFL. We don't know that yet.