Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Will Fuller WR Notre Dame- 1st round 2016

I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play. All indications are that he's developing well and will turn out to be a quality pick for the Texans. We'll see soon enough.

I really liked what I saw from him last night. I know it's just preseason, and the rooks always look good in preseason, but he gives me reason to think he might just be a player.

Braxton really looks like he's coming along.

Wih these rookies Cecil Shorts will be cut right ?

Doubtful that O'Brien goes with all rookies/2nd year guys as his WR corps outside of Hopkins. He will probably be kept around as a veteran mentor type to Fuller and Miller.

I really liked what I saw from him last night. I know it's just preseason, and the rooks always look good in preseason, but he gives me reason to think he might just be a player.

Braxton really looks like he's coming along.

I like what I'm seeing as well. He made some drops and lost on some plays, but he seemed active out there. He was getting himself open and in position to make plays. The QB was finding him. So far he is showing great potential to gel into this offense.

With the rookie showing early promise could this be the best WR corp in franchise history?

2 rookie WRs on the same team having huge contributions to said team in the regular season? I'll take it sure, but I wouldn't bet money on it happening.

Doubtful that O'Brien goes with all rookies/2nd year guys as his WR corps outside of Hopkins. He will probably be kept around as a veteran mentor type to Fuller and Miller.

Although I think Shorts offers more talent as a fifth WR than Mumph, (and who knows maybe the reduced load will help him finally stay healthy) I also feel Mumph offers more on special teams than Shorts, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Mumph over Shorts

Although I think Shorts offers more talent as a fifth WR than Mumph, (and who knows maybe the reduced load will help him finally stay healthy) I also feel Mumph offers more on special teams than Shorts, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Mumph over Shorts

Shorts was getting his time in the offense until late in the game. I had thought he would make the final 53, but this makes me wonder.

Shorts was getting his time in the offense until late in the game. I had thought he would make the final 53, but this makes me wonder.

Probably OB was kinda resting him? Those pre-season game reps serve far more valuable to the rooks and 2nd year guys than our "old vet"

I think Shorts lost his job with that drop. They keep Hopkins, Fuller, Miller, Strong, and Williams. Lenz to PS if he's eligible.

What ever happened to one of my favorites, the redoubtable Travis Labhart?

I think Shorts lost his job with that drop. They keep Hopkins, Fuller, Miller, Strong, and Williams. Lenz to PS if he's eligible.

I believe he was the one they cut and asked "have you ever thought about coaching?".

I think the WR corps will end up as Hop, Fuller, Strong, Braxton, and Mumphrey. I don't think they carry 6, but if they do it will be Shorts. I really hoped Lenz make the final 53, but with Ervin and Williams not showing well on ST's, it will force OB to retain Mumph. I hope both Lenz and Williams can be stashed on PS for seasoning because both are intriguing to me

Williams is gonna be PS if he's lucky. He's shown nothing to justify a roster spot with the lights on.

Williams is gonna be PS if he's lucky. He's shown nothing to justify a roster spot with the lights on.
I agree with you. Williams best chance in my eyes was on ST's, and he has not shown much, if anything in that area either. I would like to see him on PS just to see if he can refine his game and become a player.

I think the WR corps will end up as Hop, Fuller, Strong, Braxton, and Mumphrey. I don't think they carry 6, but if they do it will be Shorts. I really hoped Lenz make the final 53, but with Ervin and Williams not showing well on ST's, it will force OB to retain Mumph. I hope both Lenz and Williams can be stashed on PS for seasoning because both are intriguing to me

The way it stands for now, at least to me, they keep Nuk, Fuller, B. Miller, Strong, and either Mumph or Lenz for the final spot if they only carry 5. Lenz has been in the league for awhile and I don't think he has any PS eligibility left. I'm sure they will try to stash Williams on the PS but I just don't know if some other team won't try to snatch him sometime during the season, especially if he has some good returns during the next 2 preseason games. I don't think Shorts is going to make it.

I'm waiting to see who gets quality snaps against the Cards before making any final roster predicts.
I will say this, I'm betting they try and sneak Williams and Ervin through waivers and then to the P/S. Don't think either of them are ready for the 53 quite yet.

I don't think Williams is showing enough to overtake the veteran presence, Cecil, or the swiss army knife in Mumphrey, he looks designated for PS. I agree with Coogs, Ervin has proven talent from college, I am actually very surprised how little he has shown, but someone would take a chance on him, so if we still believe, he won't make it to PS so you have to keep him on the 53, if we think we got it wrong in the draft, I guess you admit your mistake now. I was sure he was a better version of Akeeem Hunt, but nothing seen to date in camp or games proves that

Fuller looked pretty good (especially for a rookie in his first extended action) but I did notice two things. He ran the wrong route on one play that killed a drive. That in itself is not a problem. He's a rookie and that will get sorted out in time. The other was a bit of a problem though. He body caught everything. He had one catch that he almost dropped because he let it get into his chest and bobbled it and almost lost it. The one time he went up strong for the ball and tried to hand catch was the ball in the end zone that went right through his hands. Then the next play Oz throws a pick. In the regular season that's a killer. He really needs to improve on that.

I don't think Williams is showing enough to overtake the veteran presence, Cecil, or the swiss army knife in Mumphrey, he looks designated for PS. I agree with Coogs, Ervin has proven talent from college, I am actually very surprised how little he has shown, but someone would take a chance on him, so if we still believe, he won't make it to PS so you have to keep him on the 53, if we think we got it wrong in the draft, I guess you admit your mistake now. I was sure he was a better version of Akeeem Hunt, but nothing seen to date in camp or games proves that

We're talking about rookies.

These guys are still thinking about their first step. Only the coaches know for sure whether they are getting it or not & that's how they're going to decide who makes the 53 & who doesn't. You can't go by what you're seeing in their first, second, or even third NFL game.

I'm quite sure we haven't seen what they've got planned for Ervin yet. & we don't know what Williams is going to look like once he starts recognizing coverages & situations.

Fuller looked pretty good (especially for a rookie in his first extended action) but I did notice two things. He ran the wrong route on one play that killed a drive. That in itself is not a problem. He's a rookie and that will get sorted out in time. The other was a bit of a problem though. He body caught everything. He had one catch that he almost dropped because he let it get into his chest and bobbled it and almost lost it. The one time he went up strong for the ball and tried to hand catch was the ball in the end zone that went right through his hands. Then the next play Oz throws a pick. In the regular season that's a killer. He really needs to improve on that.

I agree, with coverages as tight as we saw the last couple of games, those body catches aren't going to get it done.

I know it's something that was in the scouting report & is most likely a serious issue that they're working on, as we speak, to fix. However, if you watch his highlight catches from Notre Dame, there were plenty of catches made with the hands.

So... maybe it's that rookie thing where he's working on a hundred things & going back to what's comfortable. We'll see.

We're talking about rookies.

These guys are still thinking about their first step. Only the coaches know for sure whether they are getting it or not & that's how they're going to decide who makes the 53 & who doesn't. You can't go by what you're seeing in their first, second, or even third NFL game.

I'm quite sure we haven't seen what they've got planned for Ervin yet. & we don't know what Williams is going to look like once he starts recognizing coverages & situations.
Thunder I do agree with you, we as fans never see all the snaps or understand exactly the tools the coach wants to have access to for game plans and rookies are rookies, although at RB the curve is shorter. Just saying SO FAR I am disappointed in Ervin as I had high hopes. I actually think the coaching staff has done a good job in putting together good talent, multi dimensional players, and good work ethics/leadership so I know they will make better decisions then I. Just saying so far from what we get to see, that I would be surprised if Wendell makes it over Shorts, Mumphrey and Lenz so PS it is.

Does Fuller have to make every catch a juggling show....?

After last night, I'm calling for @Khari to make this the new Will Fuller emoti.
juggle.gif
.... :littlelol:

Damn right! Huh? Herv, and Pap!

Every time hes thrown the ball, I kind of hold my breath, and expect the best.

Last edited:

We have confidence in his speed and so does he - but he doesn't believe in his hands otherwise he wouldn't body catch everything. This year he needs to be on intermediate and deep routes only. He needs a wr coach to get in his head. He needs to spend all offseason in front of a jugs machine and he might need a new pair of gloves. Right now he's a one trick pony and everyone we play knows it.

Fuller 8 1/4" hands. He seems to fight/struggle for each possession. Hopefully with pratice & hard work he can adjust for his lack of size.

We have confidence in his speed and so does he - but he doesn't believe in his hands otherwise he wouldn't body catch everything. This year he needs to be on intermediate and deep routes only. He needs a wr coach to get in his head. He needs to spend all offseason in front of a jugs machine and he might need a new pair of gloves. Right now he's a one trick pony and everyone we play knows it.

Well that was the knock on him coming out. It wasn't a secret and I don't think a jugs machine is going to help. This has been consistent throughout his career. In college he led the country in drops in both years as a starter and as an NFL rookie he's 2nd in drops despite missing 2 games. He just has tiny hands and is not a natural hands catcher.

Hopefully he can improve but I'm not really counting on it. The reason I panned on the pick originally was because I wasn't a fan of using a 1st round pick on a niche player. I foresee him being a career #2 who stretches the field. That's a useful player but not what I'm looking for in a 1st round pick.

I agree about wasted pick. Another great move by our brain trust. You don't pick a receiver 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.... that can't catch the ball. One skill depends on him being in perfect shape. One injury or nick and you have a average guy that can't catch the ball. C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuller 8 1/4" hands. He seems to fight/struggle for each possession. Hopefully with pratice & hard work he can adjust for his lack of size.

I know you're trying to be positive but let's be realistic here. He didn't just wake up with these tiny hands and suddenly can't catch. Like I've said since we drafted him, as long as the big plays outnumber the drops it won't be a huge deal. Sadly that's not currently the case. Add oft injured to his name now too.

I agree about wasted pick. Another great move by our brain trust. You don't pick a receiver 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.... that can't catch the ball. One skill depends on him being in perfect shape. One injury or nick and you have a average guy that can't catch the ball. C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AJ had problems catching the ball his first season but that first rounder turned out pretty decent.

I know you're trying to be positive but let's be realistic here. He didn't just wake up with these tiny hands and suddenly can't catch. Like I've said since we drafted him, as long as the big plays outnumber the drops it won't be a huge deal. Sadly that's not currently the case. Add oft injured to his name now too.

Yes I'm hoping for transformation into a Desean Jackson type of impact player. Even if it means missing multiple games because of associated injurys that inhibit explosiveness. Long as he maintains his positive attitude & stays dedicated to his craft. I think he Will. :barman:

This. What I would add is that a receiver who has skills, but also has a defiency, it usually takes a QB who can bring out the best in the receiver. All pro Ray Berry had one leg shorter than the other and was the first player to wear contact lens. The degree of Fuller's success or failure wil likely be determined by Oz.

I think I got excited
Well that was the knock on him coming out. It wasn't a secret and I don't think a jugs machine is going to help. This has been consistent throughout his career. In college he led the country in drops in both years as a starter and as an NFL rookie he's 2nd in drops despite missing 2 games. He just has tiny hands and is not a natural hands catcher.

Hopefully he can improve but I'm not really counting on it. The reason I panned on the pick originally was because I wasn't a fan of using a 1st round pick on a niche player. I foresee him being a career #2 who stretches the field. That's a useful player but not what I'm looking for in a 1st round pick.
I think any WR we could have chosen that draft would have #2 if Hopkins on the field.

A #1 wr has to have better hands the fuller5. He'll never be more then a complimentary piece.

I thought the same about Steve Smith Sr.

It all depends on how committed FullerV is to becoming great. you know what they say, it's not the size of the dog's hands in a fight...

Reactions: JB
Back