Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

How do you feel about our First rounder?

• I like it

Votes: 190 78.2%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I don't have an opinion yet

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters
So we'd save like 1mil?

I'm just hoping he finds that go button for the team's sake. The only player that I'm confident in rushing from the edge is Clowney...and he's a rookie...

If something happens to Clowney (knock on wood), our outside pass rush could be non-existent...again...

Ballpark, yeah. I'm sure we could find someone that can't rush or hold the edge for cheap.

If you can't generate pressure lined up next to JJ Watt, what good are you? People were giving Clowney crap for blowing up the TE trying to block him, "he should do that, it's TE", but that's something Mercilus hasn't been able to do and that's pretty damn sad.

Yeah, i had fairly high hopes for him coming into this year but he didn't make an impact whatsoever against the Cards....not even against the 2nd teamers....

My only hope at this point is that maybe he has the potential to look better with the 1's..............but then he's not running with the 1's....:toropalm:

Ahh jeez . . . what the hell happened to this guy?

He is what he is. A 1 year wonder college player who hasn't learned how to effectively rush the passer at the NFL level. In other words, a high motor, good character BUST!
:toropalm:

I'd like to argue that he is what he was coming out of college.

Miscast as a star type player.

I will say that this past game he looked even worse than the "ok" player I thought he could be.

I don't mind Merciless, but he needs to at least turn into a solid player...He still looks bad against the run and his pass rush is not good.

Needs to become more violent, physical. I thought maybe Vrabel could get through to him, but in that first game it wasn't the case. Maybe that will be a wake up call for him.

For the sake of the Texans we need Merciless to pan out....

Think about it...We had Mario...let him walk...to much money..Barwin...didn't look that great his last year here...let him walk...Reed....Meh....Merciless....???....Trevardo....smh...Montgomery...ditto..

Even a guy like Willie Jefferson, who to me looked better as a rusher than some of those guys...he was too dumb to keep his head down and work...

Past Clowney our talent at OLB is looking mighty thin....

A lot of people didn't like my idea before....And probably still won't...

But I would move Cushing to OLB in base defense...Move Reed inside to complete for a starting spot with Dent, Bullough, Tarpinian, Tuggle...ect....

Move Cushing back inside in nickel and dime...

Could still help in coverage as Clowney would be the primary edge rusher, but when needed to Rush he could also do that better than the guys we have out there now. Might help to rejuvinate him since there is less trash to deal with at OLB...Let Brooks Reed and those other guys deal with all those bodies flying at them in the middle of the field and taking on Full backs regularly and let Cushing get out in space a little more...

Plus he played on the edge before. He was an edge player primarily before going to mike full time when Wade got here.

I'd feel a lot better about our LB situation.

A lot of people didn't like my idea before....And probably still won't...

But I would move Cushing to OLB in base defense...Move Reed inside to complete for a starting spot with Dent, Bullough, Tarpinian, Tuggle...ect....

Move Cushing back inside in nickel and dime...

Could still help in coverage as Clowney would be the primary edge rusher, but when needed to Rush he could also do that better than the guys we have out there now. Might help to rejuvinate him since there is less trash to deal with at OLB...Let Brooks Reed and those other guys deal with all those bodies flying at them in the middle of the field and taking on Full backs regularly and let Cushing get out in space a little more...

Plus he played on the edge before. He was an edge player primarily before going to mike full time when Wade got here.

I'd feel a lot better about our LB situation.
That's a ctually a pretty good idea if Cush is physically able to do it now. There are a couple of really good prospects at ILB and Cush has always been a good rusher. :thinking:

Not sure how I feel about Cushing on the edge these days. Dude was great there when he was younger, but he's lost a lot of agility and mobility because of those leg injuries. Even before the 2nd injury last year, he was really just a downhill plugger. In years past he would go sideline to sideline, but that job moved to Sharpton last year while Cushing became our inside plugger.

He's very good going downhill and attacking inside so I would like to keep him there.

I think it would be a good idea to just forget about Cushing. I don't think he's ever gonna play again. It's tragic what happened to him, but if anyone's been paying attention to what Doc has being saying . . . If he comes back to play like his former self, I'll be jazzed, but I'm not counting on it.

I think it would be a good idea to just forget about Cushing. I don't think he's ever gonna play again. It's tragic what happened to him, but if anyone's been paying attention to what Doc has being saying . . . If he comes back to play like his former self, I'll be jazzed, but I'm not counting it.

Actually hadn't seen the quotes from Doc...

But if he has been saying that then that kind of makes reality set in...

Well, we need to get Doc in here because that's not what I remember him saying.

Before, when we thought it was a bone fracture below the knee, Doc was saying it shouldn't prevent Cush from being the guy he used to be.

However, he did raise caution when Cushing wasn't participating in OTAs, saying we were most likely not told everything about the true nature of Cushing's injury.

Then they came out & told us what the real problem was & I don't remember what he's said since.

Before, when we thought it was a bone fracture below the knee, Doc was saying it shouldn't prevent Cush from being the guy he used to be.

However, he did raise caution when Cushing wasn't participating in OTAs, saying we were most likely not told everything about the true nature of Cushing's injury.

Then they came out & told us what the real problem was & I don't remember what he's said since.
Tibial plateau fracture, just like the one that ended Spencer's career before it got started. I'll dig up the thread. Very informative thread.

"Night and day offseasons for Brian Cushing

284_2.jpg

Marcus is right.

A disconcerting response from OB on the Cushing question. Cushing was reported to have a fibula fracture with an ACL. "uncomplicated," this should be a 3 1/2 months max return to play........this is already 7 months. If a timetable for return is not over and done with, I have to be concerned that the injury involved more than an uncomplicated fibula and lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injury......in fact, that it may have somewhat affected/disrupted the ACL repair that he had undergone the season before in the same joint......or the injury involved the joint structures in some other manner. I hope OB's response carries a more benign explanation.

Here we are out 9 months already, and it appears that he is likely projected not to be taking the field sooner than the beginning of September.......11 months post injury. I am more convinced than ever that my previous impressions hold true.
stinkfish2.gif
This was not just a simple LCL and uncomplicated fibula fracture. One thing also sticks very much in my head. Remember when we were making fun of Tania Ganguli for reporting the wrong injury??..........a "tibia plateau fracture" ????????? Makes me sort of wonder if that was an inadvertent "slip."

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2357480&postcount=39

Cushing, even when healthy, has never played OLB in a 3-4. He did play OLB in a 4-3 but that is a much different animal. Perhaps he could learn the new position, but when healthy, he's a great ILB. Why re-invent the wheel?

Cushing, even when healthy, has never played OLB in a 3-4. He did play OLB in a 4-3 but that is a much different animal. Perhaps he could learn the new position, but when healthy, he's a great ILB. Why re-invent the wheel?

I remember Cushing winning droy at olb and when demeco got hurt and they moved Cushing inside people freaked out. He had 1 sub par game and people proclaimed he'd never be able to play inside and it was dumb to try him there.

I gave my specific reasons on previous page. Could go back and forth with generalizations all day.

I remember Cushing winning droy at olb and when demeco got hurt and they moved Cushing inside people freaked out. He had 1 sub par game and people proclaimed he'd never be able to play inside and it was dumb to try him there.

I gave my specific reasons on previous page. Could go back and forth with generalizations all day.
As posted earlier, Cush played OLB in a 4-3 when he won DROY, not OLB at 3-4. I have no doubt Cush would be in the HOF if he'd been cast in the same role as Clay Matthews from day one. The dude is a beast and has much better instincts than Matthews. Yes, I'm a homer. Screw you.

Really...shouldn't have brought up Cushing here. This is merci's thread. We need him to get better.
Good point...

As posted earlier, Cush played OLB in a 4-3 when he won DROY, not OLB at 3-4. I have no doubt Cush would be in the HOF if he'd been cast in the same role as Clay Matthews from day one. The dude is a beast and has much better instincts than Matthews. Yes, I'm a homer. Screw you.

Good point...
You mean cast in the role as a teams leading edge-rusher ? I can't see that ?

Back