Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

How do you feel about our First rounder?

• I like it

Votes: 190 78.2%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I don't have an opinion yet

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters
I'm feeling better about this pick..

Still think there were better players we could have picked, but I expect Mercilus to be solid...Show up everyday kind of guy...

THIS JUST IN! .... Wade knows more than we do about football.

Last I checked this is a message board where folks give their opinions on Houston sports. It is a draft that just took place. Some people will love certain picks and others may not. This is a place where fans come to discuss their thoughts on things like the draft. If you don't like to hear people possibly questioning certain picks than I would suggest that you don't login. Anything would be better than stating the obvious that wade knows more about football than random fans.

I think it's funny how new England jumped in front of us to get Donta Hightower ILB, Alabama, Team Captain with High Character. It seems in the past I remember some pats fan on their forum getting mad at us for taking the player they wanted, Barwin was one. I bet they thought we were targeting this guy.

Interesting inside look at Mercilus' story and his draft night:

link

Will somebody transcribe the end of the video... starting basically leading up to the picks. He looked worried for a few minutes as teams were passing him up. Curious what was being said. And ESPECIALLY transcribe the phone call.

Thanks in advance.

I think it's funny how new England jumped in front of us to get Donta Hightower ILB, Alabama, Team Captain with High Character. It seems in the past I remember some pats fan on their forum getting mad at us for taking the player they wanted, Barwin was one. I bet they thought we were targeting this guy.

Theres a chance they thought that but I think more likely they wanted to get in front of Baltimore and Denver picking at 25 just happened to be the first team they could strike a deal with. Baltimore wound up trading out of the first round once their pick rolled around.

ESPN wrote an article of the "Best Draft Marriages". Mercilus got ranked at #3:

3. Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Houston: Mercilus may have been a one-dimensional defensive end at Illinois, but that one dimension -- pass-rushing -- is exactly what the Texans needed. They already have a coach (defensive coordinator Wade Phillips) who knows how to turn undersized college defensive ends into dominant pass-rushing outside linebackers.

Mercilus also has exactly the kind of résumé that should make Phillips' job much easier. Mercilus made his name in college by leading the country in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (nine) as a junior last fall. He wasn't much of a threat against the run, but the Texans won't be as concerned about that early in his career.

At 6-foot-3 and 260 pounds, he compares favorably to 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith, another former college defensive end who became a 3-4 pass-rusher as a rookie last fall. Smith wound up with 14 sacks in his first season. Mercilus could come close to similar production in Houston's defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7869395/2012-nfl-draft

Jacksonville and their punter got #4 on their worst list.

Will somebody transcribe the end of the video... starting basically leading up to the picks. He looked worried for a few minutes as teams were passing him up. Curious what was being said. And ESPECIALLY transcribe the phone call.

Thanks in advance.

C'mon... bump!

images

for nitro

2:55 point
tonight is going to be special, because I get to spend it with people close to me instead of go to New York city where half would have to stay, and watch it on tv and half of them go. So it was better to have everybody who was part of my success and be together in one room and watch my name get called. Girl- this is Whitney Mercilus marble shaped cake. number 85 from Illinois, sorry if it's a bit chaotic, we are just setting up for the party. Kid- go bears, go bears, If San Diego picks you to be on their team I am going to be so angry, but I am going to move there right next to ya, Laughter. TV- welcome to prime time and the 2012 draft. with the first pick the colts pick Andrew Luck, The Washington Redskins pick Robert Griffen the 3rd, Whitney talk- that's my boy, I know him. TV- with the 7th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick mark Baron. With the 14th pick St Louis Rams select Michael Brockers, Whitney- which city im I going to be in man. TV- with the 18th pick San Diego picks Melvin Ingram. Crowd gabbing his shoulder with someone saying shot down I think. Tv 19 pick Chicago picks shey something, Defensive end, you can see disappointment on family faces. Answer phone with a whats up, Hey man I'm glad man, I'm happy about that, warm weather like I thought. Hey I'm all for it, Laugh, TV- with the 26th pick the Houston Texans select Whitney Mercilus, crowd noise with nice upskirt, LOL. The dad I guess- Something about Texas and I don't know anything about Texas but now I'm going to know. Whitney- I'm a Houston Texan in camera.

A line package of Merci-Crick-Watt-Barwin on passing downs looks mighty beastly on paper. Have Reed playing joker in said formation...:bravo:

for nitro

tonight is going to be special, because I get to spend it with people close to me instead of go to New York city where half would have to stay, and watch it on tv and half of them go. So it was better to have everybody who was part of my success and be together in one room and watch my name get called. Girl- this is Whitney Mercilus marble shaped cake. number 85 from Illinois, sorry if it's a bit chaotic, we are just setting up for the party. Kid- go bears, go bears, If San Diego picks you to be on their team I am going to be so angry, but I am going to move there right next to ya, Laughter. TV- welcome to prime time and the 2012 draft. with the first pick the colts pick Andrew Luck, The Washington Redskins pick Robert Griffen the 3rd, Whitney talk- that's my boy, I know him. TV- with the 7th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick mark Baron. With the 14th pick St Louis Rams select Michael Brockers, Whitney- which city im I going to be in man. TV- with the 18th pick San Diego picks Melvin Ingram. Crowd gabbing his shoulder with someone saying shot down I think. Tv 19 pick Chicago picks shey something, Defensive end, you can see disappointment on family faces. Answer phone with a whats up, Hey man I'm glad man, I'm happy about that, warm weather like I thought. Hey I'm all for it, Laugh, TV- with the 26th pick the Houston Texans select Whitney Mercilus, crowd noise with nice upskirt, LOL. The dad I guess- Something about Texas and I don't know anything about Texas but now I'm going to know. Whitney- I'm a Houston Texan in camera.

So the family didn't know it was the Houston Texans who had called on the phone?

Nice. Thanks for taking the time to do this for me. I appreciate it.

I like him, but I never thought for a moment he would get past 22. Great pick at 26, I'm confident Wade will get what he wants out of him. He reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith actually, the OLB that the Texans were supposedly targeting in round 1 last year. A young guy with a high motor, great speed off the line, and also a one-year wonder in college. We all know how that turned out for the 49ers, let's hope Mercilus is the same.

Except Mercilus is faster (4.68 vs. 4.78) and stronger (27 reps vs. 20)

Smith has a couple inches on vertical, but they are even on broad jump.

Smith had 11 sacks in 2009 and 6 sacks 2010 at Missouri...Mercilus had 16 in 2011 for Illinois.

Count me in...

for nitro

tonight is going to be special, because I get to spend it with people close to me instead of go to New York city where half would have to stay, and watch it on tv and half of them go. So it was better to have everybody who was part of my success and be together in one room and watch my name get called.

Girl- this is Whitney Mercilus marble shaped cake. number 85 from Illinois, sorry if it's a bit chaotic, we are just setting up for the party.

Kid- go bears, go bears, If San Diego picks you to be on their team I am going to be so angry, but I am going to move there right next to ya, Laughter.

TV- welcome to prime time and the 2012 draft. with the first pick the colts pick Andrew Luck, The Washington Redskins pick Robert Griffen the 3rd,

Whitney talk- that's my boy, I know him.

TV- with the 7th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick mark Baron. With the 14th pick St Louis Rams select Michael Brockers,

Whitney- which city im I going to be in man.

TV- with the 18th pick San Diego picks Melvin Ingram. Crowd gabbing his shoulder with someone saying shot down I think.

Tv 19 pick Chicago picks shey something, Defensive end, you can see disappointment on family faces.

Answer phone with a whats up, Hey man I'm glad man, I'm happy about that, warm weather like I thought. Hey I'm all for it, Laugh,

TV- with the 26th pick the Houston Texans select Whitney Mercilus, crowd noise with nice upskirt, LOL.

The dad I guess- Something about Texas and I don't know anything about Texas but now I'm going to know.

Whitney- I'm a Houston Texan in camera.
Paragraphs are your friend. Great job otherwise :)

So the family didn't know it was the Houston Texans who had called on the phone?

Nice. Thanks for taking the time to do this for me. I appreciate it.

It cut straight to him answering, I'm guessing he told everyone the area code and to shut up right beforehand lol

I don't believe this interview given right after the Combine has been posted.

Mercilus discusses NFL prospects on Illini Drive @ 5

Editor’s note: The following is a partial transcript from an Illini Drive @ 5 interview with Illinois football’s Whitney Mercilus, who entered the NFL Draft after his junior season and participated in last week’s NFL Combine.

Illini Drive @ 5: What most surprised you about your performance in Indianapolis last week?

Whitney Mercilus: The thing is, I was expecting everything to happen the way it did. Because the way they trained me down in Phoenix, Ariz., at Athlete’s Performance, they didn’t leave any stone unturned. We trained every part that we could, just to kill the Combine and everything. Everybody that I trained with, they killed the Combine also. I came out there and I was expecting to run a 4.6 (40-yard dash). I ran a 4.63 and I was happy about that, put up 27 (reps) on the bench, hit my goal, got a 32 on the (vertical jump) and I was showing that I was fluid on the position drills also, that I definitely have a lot of heads to turn and I’m not a one-year wonder.

ID@5: What would you say to people that call you a one-year wonder?

Mercilus: I guess it’s because the 2011 season I had 16 sacks and previous seasons I think I had only one sack … and then all of a sudden I just exploded onto the scene. And that’s what they’re calling me a one-year wonder for. I call that a negative stigma. It just gives me motivation to show people that I am not a one-year wonder.

ID@5: Would you just say that the opportunity just came (to go to the NFL) and you just grabbed life by the horn and seized it?

Mercilus: Yeah I definitely did, because it was a way to help my family out and everything. And I didn’t come from a background that was too glamorous and what not. So yeah definitely, I took advantage of a door that opened for me.

ID@5: All the things that you’re learning now, do you plan on taking these workout methods with you to the future or do you think your workouts will shift once you get to an NFL team?

Mercilus: Oh no, that’s exactly what they’re training us for at API. It’s basically for a lifetime. To understand how efficient you can make your movements and understanding your body. It’s basically training our minds to become a pro and understanding how to train ourselves when we don’t have somebody to train us. It’s helping us a great deal and it allows us to train for the long 16-game season that’s coming ahead of us in the NFL.

ID@5: What events will you participate in at Illinois’ Pro Day?

Mercilus: I’ll participate in, of course, the position drills. I don’t know if they’ll have me doing just D-line or linebacker drills, but I’ll be planning on doing both. Some of the teams run 3-4 and teams that run 4-3 also, and I’ll be doing my 5-10-5 and my L drill, getting better times in those.

ID@5: Where is your ideal fit in defensive scheme?

Mercilus: Probably would be a 4-3 right end. I’ve had my hand in the dirt for my entire career and I’ve never dropped back into coverage, but I will play wherever what team wants me to play, outside linebacker in the 3-4 position. All I have to do is learn the drops, and I think I’ll be able to land it.

ID@5: I’m going to put on my NFL GM hat right now, sell me on Whitney Mercilus.

Mercilus: Whitney Mercilus, me as a person, I’m going to give you 110 percent of my effort. I’m not going to slack off, I’m going to go hard until the whistle blows. To me I’m a pass rusher, pure pass rusher. I’m going to play the run, too. I think I’m great. I have great bend in my hips, I’m pretty flexible. I’m great at the point of attack, I have a great first step, I have a variety of pass rush moves to get past the offensive tackle building off my first step.

I really loved that video... and at the risk of sounding somewhat racist I was happy to hear him speak in such a professional/intelligent manner.

I have a really good gut feeling about this one.

He's taking Demeco's number 59. I just hope he lives up to the greatness that was Demeco.

That would be nice, definitely.

Just FYI, in case anyone thinks he's stepping on DeMeco when he could've avoided it, that was the only available number in the 50's. There are only two LBs not using 5x on the roster.
50 Braman
51 Sharpton
52 Dobbins
53 James
54 Alexander
55 Myers
56 Cushing
57 Nading
58 Reed
59 Mercilus

LBs on the roster with other numbers
97 Smith
98 Barwin
The only other 9x not used right now is Mario's 90.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
RT @HoustonTexans: The Texans and 1st rounder Whitney Mercilus have agreed to terms

That would be nice, definitely.

Just FYI, in case anyone thinks he's stepping on DeMeco when he could've avoided it, that was the only available number in the 50's. There are only two LBs not using 5x on the roster.
50 Braman
51 Sharpton
52 Dobbins
53 James
54 Alexander
55 Myers
56 Cushing
57 Nading
58 Reed
59 Mercilus

LBs on the roster with other numbers
97 Smith
98 Barwin
The only other 9x not used right now is Mario's 90.

Nah, 90 is being used by Loiseau. Hard to get your eye used to him because he's not as big as Mario.

Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
RT @MarkBermanFox26: Mercilus terms: 4-year deal worth $7.63 million with $6.55 million guaranteed.

Those are not paragraphs...

:lol: You can have 1 sentence paragraphs! Besides, you aren't allowed to have more than one person speaking in a paragraph :bender:

You are a silly billy... But I like you. I like you.

No one else impressed by Mercilus in that video? Seems like a not only an athletic kid, but a smar:kingkong:t kid.

:facepalm: Why did I double take while reading this. When I saw the words "not paragraphs" in the same sentence. I had a hunch you were typeing about me. I am happy to say for once it is not me!

Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
RT @MarkBermanFox26: Mercilus terms: 4-year deal worth $7.63 million with $6.55 million guaranteed.
I think this is gonna look pretty cheap when Barwin starts negotiating for multi millions after his 2012 season.

I think this is gonna look pretty cheap when Barwin starts negotiating for multi millions after his 2012 season.

LOL. Yup.

Seems the new direction is clear: (a) Identify and draft a great defensive player, then (b) make that "new kid" work hard to earn a spot in the rotation, then (c) after four years of that kid growing up and then demanding a big payday...(d)let the guy walk (Mario) or cut him (Winston) or trade him (DeMeco) in order for the team to (e) make room for the next kid in the draft.

Then repeat the steps above.

It's just part of it. Can't keep 'em all.

LOL. Yup.

Seems the new direction is clear: (a) Identify and draft a great defensive player, then (b) make that "new kid" work hard to earn a spot in the rotation, then (c) after four years of that kid growing up and then demanding a big payday...(d)let the guy walk (Mario) or cut him (Winston) or trade him (DeMeco) in order for the team to (e) make room for the next kid in the draft.

Then repeat the steps above.

It's just part of it. Can't keep 'em all.
Sounds like the Patriots and Steelers

Sounds like the Patriots and Steelers

For the most part those teams hold on to their upper echelon players. When they start getting older is when you see those players move on.

Not directed at you, but we can't be looking to replace guys like Mario, Demeco and Winston every year. We lost quite a bit this off season. I think well be better than ok, but I think this off season was how it was based on circumstances. I don't expect this on a regular basis.

For the most part those teams hold on to their upper echelon players. When they start getting older is when you see those players move on.

Yup. They work a player's prime part of their career typically a rookie contract and one new one/extension. Then they let them go when they are looking at a fat last contract which projects past their likely peak play. Their practice is basically what McNair described as a philosophy for the Texans.

Dont really know the kid yet, but he seems humble and down to earth.

Looks like this may be a very nice pick before all is said and done.

We need Merciless to step up. Not just for this season, but for his future in Houston.

would be nice if he could be a solid starter opposite Clowney. He and Brooks have the status of being fairly high picks...We need some real production from those guys.

I could see this being his last year here if here keeps playing the way he's been playing.

Salary Info; LINK:
2,082,024 salary
3,080,040 dead money

2,429,028 salary
998,016 dead money

I could see this being his last year here if here keeps playing the way he's been playing.

Salary Info; LINK:
2,082,024 salary
3,080,040 dead money

2,429,028 salary
998,016 dead money

So we'd save like 1mil?

I'm just hoping he finds that go button for the team's sake. The only player that I'm confident in rushing from the edge is Clowney...and he's a rookie...

If something happens to Clowney (knock on wood), our outside pass rush could be non-existent...again...

We need Merciless to step up. Not just for this season, but for his future in Houston.

would be nice if he could be a solid starter opposite Clowney. He and Brooks have the status of being fairly high picks...We need some real production from those guys.

Yeah, i had fairly high hopes for him coming into this year but he didn't make an impact whatsoever against the Cards....not even against the 2nd teamers....

My only hope at this point is that maybe he has the potential to look better with the 1's..............but then he's not running with the 1's....:toropalm:

Back