Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where are the 8-8 or better posters now?

Hervoyel said:
So many of you guys (not talking to you highroller28, just "talking") seem to think this junk happens overnight or something. You act like one camp, a preseason, and two games should have us looking like the Broncos last year...
Heck, Denver doesn't look like Denver last year.

Some people were saying they'd be happy with a Miami-like season... so far, so good.......

Hervoyel said:
.... but you take nothing into account. You ignore roster turnover, system (offensive and defensive) turnover, and simple things like how we played ok in the preseason but....
Don't forget schedule.... It seems like some people don't understand what we mean when we say we have a very tough schedule.... 8th toughest of all the teams in the NFL. They look at N.O. and cry..... but N.O. has the toughest schedule in the league, and they haven't gotten to the tough part yet. It starts Monday vs Atlanta.
Hervoyel said:
...... in case nobody noticed Kubiak didn't find his running backs until after the final cut (Dayne) and after the first game of the year (Gado). Then you freak out because we have no running game.
To be fair, our lack of a running game has little to nothing to do with the running back..... we haven't been getting any wholes, or blocks.... or seams... or cut backs.... or daylight for that matter.

But we are only just learning the ZBS.........Kubiak took us back to scratch...... that's what we've seen the past two weeks. On top of that difficult system.. we're also learning the Greenbay power run game.
Hervoyel said:
Didn't you think Kubiak saw that? He went out and got new backs even though our guys were tearing it up in the preseason. Wonder why that was? Maybe he thought to himself "This looks ok for now but we can do better" or something along those lines.
I think it was more along the lines of,"I doubt he'll hit the wholes like that after he gets a starting job"
Hervoyel said:
It's two games in but I don't feel like I did last year after we lost to Pittsburgh. The reason is that last year we were really 50 games into the Dom Capers era after that Pittsburgh beating, not just 2 games into 2005.

We're two games into the Gary Kubiak era right now. Do you know where we were two games into the Dom Capers era? We were coming back from San Diego after having been beaten into tiny little pieces. Dom's regime peaked at 7-9 in their third year.

Building anything takes time. It won't take nearly as long to build this time and our talent level isn't the dregs so many people are making it out to be. They've just got to be taught and "un-taught" before they can perform at the level we (all of us including I'm sure Gary Kubiak) expect them to perform at.

The only reason we are 0-2 right now, is scheduling...... that's it. If Cleveland was our first game, and not our last.... if Miami was our second...... we'd be 2-0 right now.

But I'm glad we got Indy early..... IF I were Kubiak, I'd be preparing for our home game against INdy every week from now 'till then.

We aren't going to the SuperBowl..... & I'm the only one thinking we're going to the playoffs...... we need a reason to play, we need a reason to win.

our home game against Indy will be our Championship, and we're going to stomp on every team in our way to get there.

We'll still lose a few, but we'll learn things about our team, we'll learn about their character, and see if they can bounce back.

So many of you guys (not talking to you highroller28, just "talking") seem to think this junk happens overnight or something. You act like one camp, a preseason, and two games should have us looking like the Broncos last year but you take nothing into account. You ignore roster turnover, system (offensive and defensive) turnover, and simple things like how we played ok in the preseason but in case nobody noticed Kubiak didn't find his running backs until after the final cut (Dayne) and after the first game of the year (Gado). Then you freak out because we have no running game.

So, why did you think the team would be .500 then?

TFL said:
I still think we are a 6-10 team or a 7-9 team. The Pass D needs to get better, but I think we can still get to 6 or 7 wins.

What do you think we need to do to improve our pass D??

Wow! All this negative stuff after just two games. I know I said that last week after just one game.
I've got gonads....I optimistically predicted a 10 - 6 season. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I didn't expect us to win the first two games. I was hoping that we could, but, it didn't come to pass. (It didn't come to pass defense either):cool:
I'm a Texan! That says it all.:cowboy1:

Texans86 said:
The only thing I'm afraid of is our injury problems right now. We lost our starting LT for the year, and we've depleted most of our secondary. Hopefully, we can stay durable over the next couple of weeks until our reinforcements, i.e. Wong, Mathis and Faggins, make it back on the field.

In truth, this might be kind of a blessing in disguise. All three of our guards pretty much suck, and Flanagan was getting pushed around by linebackers. They see something in Pitts, so I guess he's pretty much set in stone. Weary has been playing better than McKinney, so we've got the better of the two guards.

I never liked the idea of McKinney @ Center, I'd rather see them give Hogdon a shot, but hopefully McKinney will see this as an opportunity to solidify his starter status.

&, it'll be quite a slap in the face, if Kubiak can win with Capers' OL........ the worst in the league.

Napa Auto Parts said:
I hate to be negative But the way our team had been playing i think we are on our way to another 2 and 14 season its going to be a long one again.

What was wrong with the way our team played??

the Colts sniffed the bootleg..... it happens. Carr fumbled the snap.... happens to everybody.

We get something going, and Lundy Fumbles the ball....... he's a rookie.

We sacked Manning twice, we chased him all over the field, we forced a turnover on the goal line............ we moved the ball well, one RB avg 4 maybe 5 yards, the other 9.....

we got behind early to the Colts....... not too many teams can catch up to them.

highroller28 said:
Who's still sticking to their lofty ambitions and who admits to having a brainfart of catastrophic proportions?

we are 0-2 we face 2 teams who are struggling, we have a few back and forth teams next. BUT after week 8 we have Tacks and Jax, Jets, Oakland and that looks like 5 wins if we can go into halfway point 4-4 or 5-3 with 5 more wins comes 9-7 or BETTER:drool:

This bothers the hell out of me, and it isnt just people on this message board.

Just because you dont think your team isnt the greatest, doesnt mean you arent a good fan. Its called being realistic.

You have a rookie coach. You have a team that went 2-14 last season. You have one of the worst secondaries in a league that is built on the passing game, and you have a terrible oline that cant protect your qb. Predicting 10-6 is just being delusional.

I want the texans to win every week. Ninety percent of the time they wont, and I dont expect them to. I expect improvement in certain areas of the game.

The offensive line is a joke.

The quarterback play is not very good. No progressions are even made at this point. Its check the number 1 reciever then check down as fast as possible.

We have Wali Lundy as a starting runningback. Wali Lundy. Wali Lundy. That is a joke in itself. He isnt good. Period.

You have a number one draft pick of a defensive player that has shown no signs of anything other than he can bullrush the gigantic OTs in the NFL and get completely stuffed.

You have a secondary with two terrible safeties, and a dime corner who is starting.

I repeat picking anything more than 5 wins is just laughable. Obviously there are good things about this team, but they are clearly outweighed by the above.

I like the pick of demeco ryans. He was a player in college. Nothing great about his measurables, and he wasnt a workout marvel like Mario Williams. He is just a football player that makes plays. I liked the two linemen picks as well, they were well overdue.

Those are some key areas to build upon for the future.

But until some major free agent/draft picks step in, this team is going nowhere in the next two years. Its called reality. Casserly has wasted five years of draft picks, and five years worth of overrated signings. It isnt going to be fixed in a season or two.

This team needs impact players. Adrian Peterson is a big one next year. Having an average cover corner or a good safety would be another step. Maybe if we could put a pass rush on anyone would be nice as well.

I am not going to even talk about the turd of a passing offense that we run out there every week.

But guess what? I am still a fan and will still root for the texans. But I am not going to sit here and go: We are going to kick the redskins ass!!! WOOOO!! GO TEXANS!! WE ARE THE GREATEST!!!! Good luck setting yourself up for more disappointment.

Yes, when I go to the games I will be loud and proud and support the team.

And if you want to know how far this team is from being any kind of championship contender, lets break it down vs the Steelers(last years champs)

QB: Roelthlisberger > Carr
RB: Willie Parker > Wali Lundy
WR: Hines Ward > Andre Johnson
WR: #2 wideout < Eric Moulds
OL: Every position > any of the texans O-line
TE: Heath Miller > whoever

DTs: Steelers much better
DEs: Steeler much better
Linebackers: Steelers much better at every position
Secondary: Dunta would be the only player to be on their roster in the secondary.

That is the same team that we fought it out with five years ago. Wow have things changed. We need more time to build up alot more talent to even be .500 again.

The way I see it,we are nowhere we have never been,not our first time to be 0-2,I believe that Kubiak and the Texans will pull a winning season out this year.:poker:

"Some people have it in their fan wiring schematic to support their team through thick and thin."

Last year, when the :homer: 's realized they were wrong about Capers and the team, this board was a 'ghost town--many of those posters never came back, at least with their 'old' handle.

It wasn't the :chicken: little's that jumped off the band wagon but--for some reason--the :homer: 's never mention that--heck, they never even admitted they were wrong---

Kaiser Toro said:
Calling people names is probably not the best means to the end you are striving for. Well, that is assuming you believe in the golden rule.

...got a :homer: that called a poster an idiot in another thread-must be ok caused he wasn't 'called' out for it

NATHANHALE said:
...got a :homer: that called a poster an idiot in another thread-must be ok caused he wasn't 'called' out for it
looks like I need to ban the word idiot again. You guys need to relax with the name calling please.

Stick around for a while Nathan and you will find that there are just as many pessimistic moderators as optimistic ones.

*deleted the rest of this post since we seem to be trying to douse the flames here and it would probably have added fuel to the fire*

i'm still here. we played two playoff teams (both with realistic SB asperations). we started 5 rookies. we have a rookie head coach and new schemes on offense & defense. lets face it, we werent ever favored to win these games. where we'll make 8 is against middle of the pack teams (like our next two) in very close games, and we'll take the games we "should" win such as against the titans, browns, raiders, etc. i can find atleast 8 wins in our schedule.

The Dream said:
I predicted 5 games at the beginning, but I think we might be 2 and 14 again......just goes to show you that no matter what coaching staff you bring in the team will suck if the personnel sucks.

No way we are 2-14 again. Not everyone can sling it like Philly and Indy. We have played 2 teams that some consider a possible SuperBowl matchup. We are installing a new offense and defense and we play 2 teams that are 5-7 years into their systems. When you are learning a new system, you have mental errors and blown assignments, and with Donavan and Peyton, those equal big plays. Just at least wait till the year is half over befor you say 0-16 or whatever.:twocents:

I said 8-8 at the beginning of this season, but now I am having reservations, due to the lack of an offensive passing scheme. I knew Kubiak likes to run, but please, when you can't run, stop beating our heads against the wall and pass. Of course blocking would be nice. Sherman and Kubiak both know better than to run a team out there with a less than GOOD front line, and yet that is what they have done. Now Spencer is out and Salaam is in. The play calling has no imagination and that, I believe, is a shackle on the offense more so then any other one thing.
And yes, I stiil believe we can be 8-8.

San Diego started 0-2 last season and finished 9-7, Carolina and Chicago started the season at 1-2 last season and both finished at 11-5. By no means am I comparing us to any of these teams, but just because we start 0-2 and lose to two strong teams does not mean we can't go .500. And just for the record I predicted 4-6 wins before the season and still stand by that.

thunderkyss said:
What do you think we need to do to improve our pass D??

Bring back Glenn and Sharper?

Seriously though, seems like I have seen a lot of receivers totally alone in our secondary. That may be a problem with the scheme, a breakdown in communications, or the secondary thinking about the cute ladies in the stands... I am not sure. Still goes back to something I think we all should expect this year, growing pains.
Losing Spencer and DD is obviously going to hurt this year but I still think as the team starts to gel and get used to the new schemes we have a real chance at picking up 5 to 6 games this year. (In preseason I was thinking 1 or 2 wins against Jacksonville, but after watching their first 2 games, those guys are tough!)

NATHANHALE said:
...got a :homer: that called a poster an ***** in another thread-must be ok caused he wasn't 'called' out for it

You will have to connect the dots for me as I do not follow. Is it that you are concerned that a another member called another member an ***** and you would like a moderator to call him or her out for it?

If I understood you correctly then you can report a "bad" post that does not fit muster with the community's rules and we can discuss and possibly take it down. Just look to the top right of the post and you will a street sign, looks like a yield sign. In essence we all own how this board looks, feels and sounds.

Right Here Buddy!

Hervoyel said:
Right here. I think we have a very good run in the second half of the season. We probably won't do as well as I thought we would but I think by the end of the year we're mostly going to making fun of all the guys who are coming unglued over 0-2.

So many of you guys (not talking to you highroller28, just "talking") seem to think this junk happens overnight or something. You act like one camp, a preseason, and two games should have us looking like the Broncos last year but you take nothing into account. You ignore roster turnover, system (offensive and defensive) turnover, and simple things like how we played ok in the preseason but in case nobody noticed Kubiak didn't find his running backs until after the final cut (Dayne) and after the first game of the year (Gado). Then you freak out because we have no running game.

Didn't you think Kubiak saw that? He went out and got new backs even though our guys were tearing it up in the preseason. Wonder why that was? Maybe he thought to himself "This looks ok for now but we can do better" or something along those lines.

It's two games in but I don't feel like I did last year after we lost to Pittsburgh. The reason is that last year we were really 50 games into the Dom Capers era after that Pittsburgh beating, not just 2 games into 2005.

We're two games into the Gary Kubiak era right now. Do you know where we were two games into the Dom Capers era? We were coming back from San Diego after having been beaten into tiny little pieces. Dom's regime peaked at 7-9 in their third year.

Building anything takes time. It won't take nearly as long to build this time and our talent level isn't the dregs so many people are making it out to be. They've just got to be taught and "un-taught" before they can perform at the level we (all of us including I'm sure Gary Kubiak) expect them to perform at.

Hardcore Texan said:
I am right here also. I have said all along and I will say it again, I feel we will go 7-9, maybe 8-8, with an outside shot at 9-7. That outside shot doesn't look too good. But 7-9 to 8-8 is do-able.

What are you trying to do, get us to eat crow after week two? Do you really need to be validated that badly? A prediction that you don't think will pan out is a "brainfart of catastrophic proportions", really? This sensationalizing seems to be aimed at starting an argument rather than posing a very simple question. .

Thank you,guys. I couldn't have said it as well.

I believe I predicted 6 to 8 wins. I also said the majority of those would come in the second half of the season. I think I made that prediction based on DD playing this season. However, I still think the Texans could win 6 this year as long as no more key positions take season ending injuries. Losing Spencer hurt more than I believe most of us realise right now. Sure, he got beat a few times by some of the better DE's in football, but he played mostly well and was only going to get better.

We'll get three of those 6 wins against Tennessee and Cleveland.

Trade'06pick said:
I believe I predicted 6 to 8 wins. I also said the majority of those would come in the second half of the season. I think I made that prediction based on DD playing this season. However, I still think the Texans could win 6 this year as long as no more key positions take season ending injuries. Losing Spencer hurt more than I believe most of us realise right now. Sure, he got beat a few times by some of the better DE's in football, but he played mostly well and was only going to get better.

We'll get three of those 6 wins against Tennessee and Cleveland.

Loosing Spencer really hurt our preperation for next year. I don't think Kubiak was thinking play-offs for '06, but he is serious about a play-off spot in '07.

Spencer though he surprised me in his 1.5 games....... I doubt he expected him to play as well as he has.

A4toZ said:
How about replacing the word with "Bud"?

That's a no-go there my friend. While on the surface it may seem like a good idea you have to understand that you also run the risk of turning any coversation about beer into an argument.

That simply won't do.

Unless of course you people who drink that swill (Bud-anything) are willing to change to a better beer.

We could beat Washington, Miami, Tennessee (2), Buffalo, Oakland and Cleveland...

That makes 7 "could" wins, out of that I will take 4 of the 7...

They will also probably win one that they should not win...

That makes a total of 5 wins for the Texans this year in my opinion...

Carr is doing a little better than I thought he would...

Gado is I think a good pickup and will be the starting RB sooner than later and he does give them a better chance to win an extra game or 2...

Their defense is pathetic and is the major reason they will do so poorly this year...

Demeco Ryans and Owen Daniels were their 2 best draft picks...

Mario was a huge mistake in my opinion and that will not change anytime soon...

They are better than Oakland, Tennessee and Detroit...

They can be better than the Jets, Green Bay, Buffalo, Cleveland and San Francisco...

I would expect them to get the 5th or 6th pick of the 2007 draft...

They could get anywhere between the 1st or 10th pick depending on how the rest of the season goes...

They are not a good team nor are they the worst team, they have a core they can build around but they should have a better core to build around...

Hervoyel said:
That's a no-go there my friend. While on the surface it may seem like a good idea you have to understand that you also run the risk of turning any coversation about beer into an argument.

That simply won't do.

Unless of course you people who drink that swill (Bud-anything) are willing to change to a better beer.

Okay, then a "Mr. Adams" to replace that word. Can't use Adams as that may offend another group of beer drinkers.

I'm pretty much onboard with Grandpa and Comstocklode. I predicted 6-10 to start, and I will stick with that, although frankly, I thought the defense was going to be more of an aggressive blitz happy big play defense than this timid bs we have seen so far, but that's another subject. I will stick with the 6-10, but as of now, I would play the under vs. the over on that number. The offense is very incosnistent, but at least shows flashes. The defense is very consistent. Consistently horrible. They have nothing on defense. The safety play is incredibly bad. The corners look lost and couldn't cover my Grandmother, the OLB's may be among the worst pair in the leage, and the vaunted Dline has looked like a group of HS players. The corners were giving so much room to the Colts the other day that they may as well have been in the stands. Other that that, the D has looked great. :brickwall

Why don't you just jump ship and get it over with already. You fair-weather fans make me want to vomit! The season JUST started and you have them at 2-14 ALREADY! Why don't you just become a Dallas Debutante fan and get it over with? Why don't you come back after game 9 with this lame, pessimistic post. How about this for a gentleman's agreement. If they lose their next 7 games I'll appologize to you. Fair enough, but in the interim be seated and silent.

DH

I will be real interested to see where we are at when the colts come to town in week 16. It will be a good barometer of the progress, if any, the Texans have made.

i think the texans are getting 4 wins because of big offensive games against the titans twice, the browns and the jets. But the rest of the games will be big losses. The D must get better or this team will never see more than 6 wins in the next couple of years.

I definitely remember saying 10-6 here all along this pre-preseason this year and at least the playoffs. Okay so then what's different then and now is no DD and now no Spencer lost two games and acquiring others. So what it's not the end of the world. Hell even the SB champs last year couldn't even score one point last night so now put that into soup and mix it. I was going to feel intimidated but I go back to Oiler days when who would ever believe that we were going to go one game from the SB. So here I sit here thinking why not whose to say. The Texans will beat the Skins on the run which will open the pass and will record their first win and in Reliant. I'm stubborn maybe but I'll have to change my prediction to 10-6 oh that's the same lol. Bring'em on and into the bullpen. I don't want to be scalped do you....

RiotCommander said:
I still think we have a real chance to go 8-8. I marked the Eagles, and Colts down as a loss at the start of this year. So as far as wins and losses go, everything is as expected.

yeah, but your problem is that you are using LOGIC.

you're supposed to see two losses as one of the signs Jesus mentioned about the end of the age.

thanks, highroller...you and "doug from the woodlands" are officially hereby known as Doug and Doogie Downer.

what's next, taunting us about high gas prices?

or perhaps you can lecture us in how stupid it is to fight the war on terrorism.

go kill a party somewhere else, k?

NATHANHALE said:
...got a :homer: that called a poster an ***** in another thread-must be ok caused he wasn't 'called' out for it

I am a homer that called someone an ***** the other night and I don't even know which thread I did it in. That is how much of a homer I am. I was so frustrated with all the negativity, I just couldn't help myself.. I figured it got deleted, because I couldn't find it the next day to edit it.

So whoever I did it to, my sincere apologies. Everybody wants us to be winners. Let's just give Kubes & Co. some time to get it worked out. PLEASE, it WILL be okay.:ok:

Texanfan4ever said:
I am a homer that called someone an ***** the other night and I don't even know which thread I did it in. That is how much of a homer I am. I was so frustrated with all the negativity, I just couldn't help myself.. I figured it got deleted, because I couldn't find it the next day to edit it.

So whoever I did it to, my sincere apologies. Everybody wants us to be winners. Let's just give Kubes & Co. some time to get it worked out. PLEASE, it WILL be okay.:ok:

...it wasn't you but at least you show some class in coming forward...

Texans86 said:
I will not doubt this team after seeing flashes of competence out of many of these players. We had five rookies starting for us, and we showed it many times, but many of them looked pretty good. I'll take that after the Colts and Eagles. We are not a playoff team. We are not a .500 team. You were dilusional to think so in the first place.

Reality check, we are doing what we are supposed to be doing after a 2-14 season, losing to perenial playoff teams who are more talented that us. We stayed competitive in game one, and didn't lie down like dogs late in the game in game two. We easily could have taken our beating that game against the Colts. We were out of it early, but they fought their hearts out. That's what I love about this team, and that's why I see us as dangerous once things start to click. These guys want to fight for Kubiak. I just wish some of the people here were up to supporting them.

Great Post

These guys did fight back as best they could against better teams. They want to fight for Kubiak and the fans.

We have some great fans who are preparing their fan gear, getting out the face paint, making signs. I see them on the tube every game. They will be there supporting our team.

Sadly there are the few who are making plans to bring their brown bags and preparing to boo the team. Hopefully they will hyperventilate under the bags and pass out till the game is over.

Hyperventilation --- just wishing them a pleasent nap through the game.

:coffee:

dml923 said:
i think the texans are getting 4 wins because of big offensive games against the titans twice, the browns and the jets. But the rest of the games will be big losses. The D must get better or this team will never see more than 6 wins in the next couple of years.

You don't think we're going to beat the Raiders?

highroller28 said:
Who's still sticking to their lofty ambitions and who admits to having a brainfart of catastrophic proportions?
I saw four posts and I said to myself, let it pass. But I know me. Couldn't do it. Everyone knew the o-line was going to take time. Everyone knew (Well Most everyone), that Carr's happpy feet were a function of the lack of support from the o-line. A lot of us figured if we could upset Philly, some how split the next five games we'd have a 4-3, to 4-4 start. Four game win streak after that ? Get a bunch of young guys excited about winning, it could happen. Only a small few garuanteed this, but some of us thought it could be possible. Carr had some new weapons. First time that I know of that we had a nice stable of NFL caliber TEs, which are the main weapon against of a two deep zone. A year of seasoning for TJ. Babins and Peek in their natural positions. I don't feel foolish for pulling for the team to do well. I am aggreovated that a less than fifty post guy would come in here and show off his south end just after we've lost the rookie OLT. Which pretty much means the season is down the drain. So thanks for the salt in the wound big guy. You're a real prince and a real football Einstien.

I saw four posts and I said to myself, let it pass. But I know me. Couldn't do it. Everyone knew the o-line was going to take time. Everyone knew (Well Most everyone), that Carr's happpy feet were a function of the lack of support from the o-line. A lot of us figured if we could upset Philly, some how split the next five games we'd have a 4-3, to 4-4 start. Four game win streak after that ? Get a bunch of young guys excited about winning, it could happen. Only a small few garuanteed this, but some of us thought it could be possible. Carr had some new weapons. First time that I know of that we had a nice stable of NFL caliber TEs, which are the main weapon against of a two deep zone. A year of seasoning for TJ. Babins and Peek in their natural positions. I don't feel foolish for pulling for the team to do well. I am aggreovated that a less than fifty post guy would come in here and show off his south end just after we've lost the rookie OLT. Which pretty much means the season is down the drain. So thanks for the salt in the wound big guy. You're a real prince and a real football Einstien.

Thanks for being the standard-bearer for all that post on this board. I am sure that you adhere to the highest ethical standards. Would you agree one of which is integrity? Simply put, this team is not a 8-8 team.

Only true simpletons attempt to expose someone else as a football no-nothing, but to date, my prognostication of how this season will go has been more hit than miss. Dry it up and quit crying.

Thanks for being the standard-bearer for all that post on this board. I am sure that you adhere to the highest ethical standards. Would you agree one of which is integrity? Simply put, this team is not a 8-8 team.

Only true simpletons attempt to expose someone else as a football no-nothing, but to date, my prognostication of how this season will go has been more hit than miss. Dry it up and quit crying.

Of your 8 posts what has been more hit than miss?

I just want to chronicle the exodus from the Texans bandwagon.

Week 3 blowout loss to the Redskins 31-15.

I expect more converts than the Spanish Inquisition.

Back